Options

Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Will try and insert link for course profile here.  Link still not working so google Beachy Head Marathon Course Profile and you will find this site http://www.robin-web.co.uk/beachyhead/map & profile.htm
  • Options
    Bailey, your linky doesn't work. PM or email me if you still want a couple of numbers. I can find you 3!!
  • Options
    CD - I'm also an Eastbourne resident. thanks for the heads up on the Thai House - not tried it yet although one of the guys I work with has also said it's good. have you tried Toy's (the lady who owns the Noodle Bar) place in Willingdon?? very plush but was disappointing - although only been once.

anyroads - to answer you. firstly - how the hell do you keep getting lost? the route is pretty straightforward but I guess it's easy for me having done it 3x. where are you going wrong? perhaps I can point you in the right direction. I suspect I know where it is but let me know

as for most challenging hill - well I don't think there's one that's much tougher than another, they're all tough enough and have their different characteristics. BUT undoubtedly it's the Seven Sisters, aka the Seven Bitches when you run them, that hurt most as your legs are already mashed by the previous 20 miles when you hit them. short steep downs followed by short steep ups just serially hurt and then that's capped off with the long climb from Birling Gap to Beachy Head.
  • Options

FB - the short steep hill up to the forest was interesting in the mud last year. I hate the steps and bitches, but love this race.

They do a lovely cuppa at Birling Gap image

• Options
    Steps - who said steps? I had enough of those at the Midsummer Munro HM. How many and where are they? And as for bitches!
  • Options
    yep - there are about 200 steps in total and they aren't easy buggers either as they are neither evenly spaced or even height. and guess what - there are 2 sets! the first after the drinks station at Litlington (19miles) as you get into Friston Forest and the 2nd as you leave the Forest from West Dean village - there's often a bagpiper at the bottom of these steps.

they just add to the occasion image

• Options
    Kilbrider - lots, but they all add to the fun right ? Sure someone will be exact but first lot probably 150 (uneven, through the woods, irregular heights and a bit muddy perhaps) and second lot about 50 (concrete, uniform, Piper at the top laughing at you while he plays). First lot come after about 17m I think so perfect for cramp etc, second lot soon after. The Bitches really are Bitches too - FB is spot on with the description. Very steep in places - most barely runnable if starting fresh, let alone after 3/4/5/6 hours.....I am sooooooooooo looking forward to this, highlight of the running (or 'jog/walking') year. By the way, somwhere along the Bitches I will definitely say 'never, ever again' and swear a lot. And then diarise for entry for next year when I finish.
  • Options

Old Goon  - I take a long time to get to the steps that the bagpiper has gone image 

Forgot the little wall you have to climb over after 2nd lot of steps.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice peeps. The piper will no doubt spur me on a little, being from the hallowed northern part of the UK.
  • Options
    I've only ever seen the piper at the steps once in my 3 finishes - I reckon he's shortchanging the slower ones these days and heading off early....

"Forgot the little wall you have to climb over after 2nd lot of steps." - and don't forget that little bugger of a steep downhill after....that usually hurts as well

kilbrider - are we selling you on this event??? image
  • Options
    I'm hooked. I am just adding 10 minutes to my ETA after every comment.
  • Options

Remember the piper has to pipe everyone up at the start (Kilbrider - have you checked the You Tube clip of the start yet?) where he looked seriously ghostly in the fog, before heading off to make everyone's life a misery later on. There's only so many places he can be in a day.

Traditionally it's fish and chips for me the night before, this is my 3rd time.

Have pre and post-race  carb loading locations been decided for this year yet? I was too cold and damp to hang around for drinks last year but I'd like  to try this year.

• Options

Helly D - last year was really eerie at the start wasn't it........all very atmospheric

Thanks for reminding me about the wall. I'd forgotten about that (not as bad as the many stiles in the Farnham marathon last week though - nightmare for me as I cramp up easily).

No-one has mentioned the riverbank on the Cuckmere yet - great fun if it is as wet as last year, like a skating rink !

Kilbrider - about 45 mins to an hour on top of average road time seems to be the norm (well for me anyway). You'll be on track for a decent time at 16 miles, then the fun starts.......................so have a good feed in the village !

• Options
    I agree with the 45-60 mins extra on top of your normal road mara time.  I think most treat it more as an event rather than a race!  Forget PBs on this one......... and enjoy!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Entered for the first time but not had the time (nor the inclination it has to be said!) to train for it properly. Done a few runs of 10-14 miles recently and a couple of marathons a few years back. Am I likely to be able to at least run the first half or so and then run/walk the rest? How much walking should I expect to have to resort to? 
  • Options

Hi Peter

Beachy was my first mara last year and I hadn't run further than 13 miles. I went with the plan of walk the up bits and try and run the rest. It got me to the finish.
  • Options
    Beachy was my second and I've done quite a few since but hopetofinish has the masterplan there, that's what I do.
  • Options

kilbrider - I ran Beachy last year and the Midsummer Munro this year.  IMO two trips up the Eiger steps is far harder than any of the steps at Beachy.  Having said that I agree with fb that having 20 odd miles in the legs makes the Seven Sisters the biggest challenge.  Running down one of them got me the closest I've ever been to cramping in a race but thankfully there was a flat bit coming up which allowed me to shake it out.  I'm pretty sure my legs felt more battered at the end of the Munro than Beachy, although obviously you've got the extra distance to cover. 

My advice for pre-race day prep is a couple of pints in the pub at the start, and karaoke.  I went with "Final Countdown" by Europe.  Not really in my key but certainly got the lungs going.  image

• Options

only one technique for this ; walk the ups (as above) , jog the downs (as above) eat everywhere (as above) enjoy the views (as above) , have a nice day (as above), talk to everyone on the way round (as above).

It's all been said before, really......

nb. this is a very very addicitve race and could ruin all your Octobers for years to come. You have been warned!

• Options
    just completed firle today (in the wind) and brought back the pain of last years beachy head flooding back!
  • Options

Desperately seeking a number if anyone is dropping out, please email me darren_lock@hotmail.com, its for a friend who want to run her first.  Obviously Ill reimperse your costs and postage image

Daza

• Options

Unfortunately I can't make this now as I'm going to be away at the time.

If anyone wants my place let me know, just looking for the entrance fee back + postage.

I also have a twin family room in the Eastbourne Travelodge if anyone wants it - it's arriving on Friday 22nd October and checking out on Saturday 23rd. I booked it well in advance so I got it for just £37.

Drop me a mail at: ppiper@hotmail.com

Paul

• Options
    errrm Pipes - why not mail the poster above you who's looking for a number.

or DL - mail Pipes....

I'm hoping to check some of the tracks this w/e coming - the ones in Friston Forest mainly - will let you have feedback asap
  • Options
    I already did, he just got a place from someone else image
  • Options
    Yeah thanks guys, Im sorted, hope you get your place pased on Pipes. Thanks again
  • Options

Did my longest run today of 17 miles. Not done as much training this year, but I know I can do it as it is year no 5.

• Options
    mordomordo ✭✭✭

just over 3 weeks to go

last long run this sunday..........well maybe

am i the only one who takes beachy head more seriously than the others runs? or am i just nuts?

• Options
    No I do too Mordo although my longest run has only been 16.  I have our first  country league race with the club this Sunday which messes me up, but hope to do a long one next weekend.
  • Options

Only done two long training runs, but both were local trail marathons in the last month. Not doing much in between but hoping these have built up a bit more endurance. Know where I am fitness-wise relative to other years (not good at all) so looking at just dipping under 5hrs all being well (was just over last year). I have however been training VERY hard for the feeding stationsimage image

Claire - sub 4 for you this year then ?image

Mordo - anyone doing this is nuts. As we'll all remind ourselves at the bottom of B*tch no 3 or thereabouts.

• Options

Hey OG - you made me laugh on the FLM Forum!

Under 4.15 I've set myself!!  image  Yeah right!!