Options

Stoke 2010K

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, my first post on this site, like mjk im very new to this but iv just been out and brought my new trainers so im going have to do it now. My goal is to do the potters arf' in june and thought this race would be a good start for me,  im not overly unfit as i play a little football, do you experienced guys think this is achievable for me? Any tips greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Obviously i dont know how fit you are,but why not have a look at this plan,and this will take you roughly to the date of the half,                 http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-150-plus-half-marathon-schedules/99.html           image
  • Options
    thanks eric, i will make a start with this tomorrow. Will this be good prep for this 10k aswell?
  • Options
    Looking down the day 2 column,there looks like some faster stuff there to get your legs going,
  • Options
    had my number today, 555... looking forward to it image
  • Options

I got my Number too 544 im looking forward to walking to the start from my front door and not having any parking probs , then I can have a beer cos I dont have to drive home !!!

• Options
    Enter on the day for me
  • Options

i only live in sandford hill so no too far away... so which pub are we going image

done the treetops run in trentham today, anyone else do it?

• Options

I never realised they still did the Tree tops 10k i did it the first couple of years , still im out for ten miles tomorrow so id be a bit tired if id done it.

Its a good course.

As for Pubs its whatever door I get to first , Spoons is cheap and cheerful cant get too hammered tho as ive got the pots to think about image after that ill sink a few !!

• Options

Might do this one. But it's the day after the Cader Idris race...... image image image

Can go to Alton Towers straight after & give my season ticket an airing.....image

• Options

I'm in  image

(wonder if I can catch the buz up lichfield street!!!)

• Options
    Im all ready for it ,looks like its going to be a good day for it too. 2 days rest for me now !!
  • Options
    Hi, I've just put this run into mapmyrun to check the elevation in preparation for tomorrows run.

I'm not quite sure of the route as its calculated to be about 1km short.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/stoke-on-trent/134127515615598765

see you all tomorrow!
    good luck
  • Options
    It should be a good run, its a flat start around Stoke one way, then along Leek Road with a climb up Lichfield St at about half way, then into Hanley Park and back into Stoke. Check out Bournesports at the back of Kingsway carpark behind the fayre ride as they will be open for gels and nutrition before and after the event, tell them Graham sent you! Have a great run see you on route. Graham
  • Options
    racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Now where can I stand to take my photos?  Hmmm, top of Lichfield Street? image

Only teasing.  There is a story going around that I always take my photos at the top of a hill when you are looking your worst.

I am planning to be in or just outside Hanley Park, so if you could spread out a bit so I can focus my camera and give me a wave and smile I would appreciate it. image

Have a good one everyone.

Kind regards.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Options
    Oh dear. That was a bit short, wasn't it? I was going really well, too, sub-10min miles (apart from up the big hill). Anyone know how it went wrong?
  • Options

Can I apologise on behalf of the people of Stoke that can actually work out how far 10k is.  Usually when people advertise 10k races they quite often take the time to measure the course before hand.  As much as I'd love to say I'm up to doing 10k in the sub-40 minute that I got today it just isn't the case yet.

Poorly organised, race numbers not sent out beforehand, water station wasn't where it was supposed to be and only gave out half filled plastic cups, walkers started with runners so the first K was unbelievably crowded.  From what I hear one of the stewards went missing but that's not good enough considering the Muller 10k a few weeks ago was the same price and infinitely better.

• Options
    What a shame! This had the makings of a really good fast race, not sure what went wrong but I measured the course as being 5.37 miles, well short of 6.21 miles (10k). Someone said that the route went wrong in Hanley Park so I think an explanation from the organisers is required!
  • Options

I measured 5.39 by my Garmin. Someone told me that the winner actually did 10k, but no-one else did - he entered the park in the lead, and left in 3rd  place, but the 2 ahead of him had done the short course.

I started at the back and didn't feel crowded; first mile was 9:55 and I was mostly being passed rather than being held up. I did get my number posted to me, and I didn't feel the organisation was bad, apart from the obvious bit! No queues for the toilets in the town hall was a pleasant surprise. Parking at Sainsburys was convenient & easy. I didn't partake of the water, so can't comment on that. Muller is a very high standard to live up to. I'd run it again; I would like to think the organisers might give us a discount on next year as some kind of compensation.

• Options
    This was my first ever 10k race and I felt it was short, I thought we were meant to enter the park at the top??  What happened!!  Feel slightly disappointed now as thought I got a really good time, had it been 10k.  Never the less I ran the whole way and quicker than I was in training.  Am going to enter the Stone St Michael's 10k and presume this will be a full 10k race.
  • Options

I spoke to an organiser and apparently there was a marshall missing in hanley park, we should have run around the park and past the pavilion in oppose to straight through. it was just one missing person that should have directed us thats caused the shortfall. i wasnt too happy that the 2K and the 10K started together which caused a bit of a mosh pit at the start and the lack of mile markers, but other than this and considering it was a first time race i quite enjoyed it. thanks to all who took part and to the organisors for their hard work.

• Options
    By the way, does anyone know where the official times will be published?
  • Options
    I think I just had high hopes with it being my hometown run, but I agree the Muller is a high standard to live up to.  The only problem is that this race cost the same so the standards should be the same.  I like to start around the 7 min mile pace and couldn't get close to this for the first mile or so also the lack of mile or K markers was a bit annoying. I think a few others received their numbers through the post but I signed up over three months ago and haven't received any information at all.
  • Options

I did see mile markers for miles 1, 2 & 3, but wasn't looking hard for them as I had my Garmin. The mile markers I did see matched my Garmin almost spot on.

I would hope the organisers make sure there is an explanation & apology; openness about the issues is always best at these times. Any excuses will only make people more annoyed & less likely to return.

I have to say I was surprised that the fun run started at the same time. However, I am relieved to see photographic evidence that the person dressed as a banana who overtook me was only doing the fun run.

• Options

Apparently the course was half a mile out, which was the mishap in Hanley Park. The only mile marker that was missing was the 5 mile, which was probably at the top end of the park! I feel a bit cheated to be honest, I was running around 6.50 minute miles constant through the race and came home in 37:07 with my PB being 42:07, meaning I would have beaten it comfortably but now I'll never know an 'official' time I guess. Not even a medal, T-Shirt and goody bag can make up for that and the training involved for everyone trying to gain a PB. Gutted.

Marshalls (don't know if this is the same for everyone, just personally speaking) I think had lost their voice, I think I only heard 4 all the way around saying well done or clapping. A bit of encouragement whether at the front or the back works wonders (note: see Potters Arf.)

I actually really enjoyed the run and the course, the start was pretty poor in all fairness, I got boxed in until we turned the corner onto Glebe Street which was a bit frustrating as I was then already playing catch up - if this race is on next year please look at staggered starts or seperating the 10k and fun run!

Drew 11 - check out Bryan Dale's website www.racephotos.org.uk later on this evening, they will be on there along with pics - although I'm guessing you didn't get many of us Bryan? image

I'm hoping this is back next year - lets give it another go organisers!

• Options

Hi Crazy Runner,

Stone St. Micheals is a good, fast 10k, it's basically pancake flat and is well organisied. It's a 2 loop course with the finish on the school field.

It is a bit of a carnival day too, so good for the family, my little girl loved it last year and the atmosphere is really good. I'd definately advise this one, whether you are after a PB or not, well worth doing.

• Options
    racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Sod 's Law, I should have stuck to Plan A  and taken my photos at the top of Lichfield Street.

There I was sitting patiently by the pavillion, camera at the ready.... the rest is history. image

Luckily I had a friend taking photos in Stoke, so hopefully between us we might have a photo of most runners.

Kind regards.

Bryan
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk