Options

glucosamine - how long before it starts working?

Comments

• Options
    I've been taking zipvits 1500g horse tablets for about 3 months. We are about to re-order and will get the liquid this time.

I'm fairly new to running. Just over a year. I used to suffer with 'wobbly' and 'clicky' joints which I don't since taking the supplement. I'm a devil for not taking things regularly, but I wouldn't be without this one.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    keswick - I've been taking them for 3 months too, but am happy with the horse tablets for now. I have noticed a vast improvement over the last 6 weeks.

Let me know if you think the liquid form works better for you.
  • Options
    I've been taking the 1500mg Zipvit horse tabs for over two years now, ever since I got joint and muscle pain in the training for the 2001 FLM.

The problems went away quickly and have never returned, and I have done a further 4 marathons since then injury free.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've done 16 marathons and ultras over the last 4 months and my legs feel in really good shape, so am attributing this to the horse tablets too.
  • Options
    I'm a pretty new runner..started in March and have done a 5K, 10K, and will be doing another 10k and 1/2M in Sept. Lately I've noticed my knees get a bit achy, and I'm only 25 this November. I started taking 1,000mg glucosamine and 800mg chondroitin tablets made by Health Preception. Anyone ever heard of this make? Should I be taking these anyway?? Will they help my problem? Thanks!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rocky1 - it's a shock for the body when you start this running lark, you are bound to get some aches and pains. The tablets should help, I noticed a difference after 6 weeks. I suggest after your 1/2 that you ease up for a few weeks just to give your body some time to recharge. Never heard of that make, but I don't think brand names are an issue here.

• Options
    Hi
    I noticed a difference in about a month, cant be without it now, I take 1000-2000mg day depending on how much exercise I'm doing.

Valerie Whiteside
  • Options
    Can I ask what you are all taking it for - precautionary, aches and pains or because you've been diagnosed with wear and tear of the joints?

I read the same as Pantman as far as chondroitin - the body can't absorb it - but stand to be corrected on that - just what I read.

I think I read differently about the value of the different forms but if there is a debate I'll play safe and stick with the hydrochloride.

I think the 1500mgs is only that they did trials on that amount - so it may well be that taking less has an effect or that taking twice as much has twice as much effect. Having been diagnosed recently with an ankle problem I'm taking 3000mg a day plus but what the hell! Again happy to be corrected on that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking it as a preventative measure. I know I race too often and am aware that I am pushing my body to it's limits. I used to have aches in my joints (knees mainly) the day after a marathon. This has now almost completely disappeared, now only have a little muscle soreness.

I'm taking glucosamine on it's own, no additives, when I was buying it I just couldn't decide which to have (confused by the info) so just bought the gluc.
  • Options
    I'd been taking 'over the counter' Glucosomine bought in health shop. My ortopedic doc who performed an Arthroscopy on my knee 3 months ago and is monitoring my slowwwwwww recovery prescribed a pure form of Glucosomine called Dona - I take one sachet daily (1500mg) and will take it for a recommended period of 3 months before taking a 2 month break.
  • Options
    FYI for any strict veggies/vegans interested in taking glucosamine and/or chondroitin (sp?) supplements:

You may not have realised that glucosamine is usually sourced from shelfish; crab, lobster or shrimp, while chondroitin is usually sourced from the cartilage of sharks, cows or pigs.

You can find animal-free glucosamine if you search the web - not sure about chondroitin.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DD - Why do you have to take a 2 month break?
  • Options
    I was reading an article on sportsinjurybulletin.com that suggests chondroitin can be absorbed by the body - just not much of it. So it may not be a complete waste of time taking a combined supplement.
  • Options
    probably best to take it gradually throughout the day with meals then, rather than in one go

i take it too and have been relatively injury free - but we can never tell whether its the tablets or if we would have felt OK anyway!
  • Options
    I suffer from ITBS and Glucosamine Sulphate has been recommended by my physio. I'm only 24. He also recommended cider-vinegar which he says has the same effect just tastes foul. Anyone tried the cider vinegar?
    I have purchased some 1000mg tab from the web. They are huge tablets and it recommends two a day. I never ever take pain killers or tablets of any sort but the physio swears they will help. I'll keep you posted on how long it takes for them to kick in!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    moomin -Let us know how you get on with the cider vinegar.

I thought ITBS was a muscular problem, so a bit confused why your physio recommended glucosamine, unless just as precautionery treatment for your joints.
  • Options
    Yep, and cider vinegar is a folk remedy for arthritis isn't it?
  • Options
    Healthspan in Guernsey do gelatine free capsules for the veggies out there. I think they source from plankton - but I could be wrong there. There prices are very good as well. www.healthspan.co.uk
  • Options
    Boing! Just bought some today, 500mg + 500mg chrondoitin. Just wondering if everyone is still taking them, and they are still feeling the positive effects!

Also bought some cod-liver oil capsules as these are supposed to help as well. Will see. Don't want any chance of the slight twinge in my right knee getting in the way of my marathon training!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Still taking my 1500 mg horse tablets. Joints are feeling good, particularly notice that my recovery times have reduced, have also been taking the CLO for about 5 years.
  • Options
    Ta! Just what I wanted to hear.
  • Options
    Just finished my 60th capsule of glucosamine today - time to think about getting some more. Have also been taking CLO over the same time.

I was unsure about the effects but when I think back, I was getting fairly sharp knee pains on my long run and an ache after shorter ones. I can't say that I'm totally ache-free but I don't get the sharper pains any more, despite almost doubling my long run distance.

It's tempting to see whether just the CLO would have the same effect, but I'm a bit nervous with my first half coming up in March, so I'll probably stick with the glucosamine for a while.
  • Options
    SoVeryTired

I think 60 in one day may be overdoing it a bit.
  • Options
    Hey, you've got to build up a good level somehow!

Just ordered 3 bottles of the liquid stuff from Zipvit at £19.90 for 108 days supply of 1500mg - should last me a couple of days!

They also do 360 1500mg tablets for about £13.

I'm certainly not going to Boots again for my supplements!

Interesting to note that they do a glucosamine/emu oil gel as well.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking the 1500mg tablets - they're huge, but training does pay off, I can now swallow them whole!!

i'm also taking Devil's claw too.
  • Options
    Don't know what strength glucosamine I take but they recommend 1 3X a day & I can remember 1.Take COL & EPO daily too. Must be doing something
  • Options
    Just received my order of 'Joint Genie' from Zipvit - fast and accurate service and above all about thre times cheaper than the equivalent dosage would have cost me in capsule form from Boots.

Tastes oaky as well - kind of like orange Lucozade Sport but a bit 'thicker' when diluted. Not unpleasant at all, and probably the nicest way to get 1500mg of glucosamine.
  • Options
    Just purchased 30 Joint Care Advanced capsules today to try. They contain fish oil (Omega-3 and fatty acids EPA and DHA), glucosamine and chondroitin. It says on the box take 1-2 capsules a day but it doesn't say what dosage a capsule is - they are pretty big though!

Having read everyones comments was just wondering whether I need to take one or two every day (i.e. one for 30 days or two for fifteen days - mmm, could be expensive this joint supplement lark!!). Maybe, I could get away with taking a couple of capsules a week, or would this be counter-productive because a regukar dosage is required?

As you can tell, this is my first venture into joint supplements, so any advice would be most welcome. As a someone who trains hard 2-3 times a week and races harder 2-3 a month, I thought some joint injury prevention might be the way to go - I just need steering in the right direction - thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Have just ordered joint genie from zipvit as am getting aches in my knees after a long run (long for me!). Have found tha advice really helpful and look forward to seeing an improvement.
  • Options
    Well, I probably need to order some more. I'm nearing the end of my third bottle of Joint Genie and have to say that the pain in my knee is defintiely fading, despite increased mileage. It's very difficult to say how much of this is due to the glucosamine as opposed to changes in shoes, training etc. but it doesn't seem to be harming me!