Options

a thread for knitters

Comments

• Options

Not patronising at all Kwilts as I have no idea of the expertise needed to complete these tasks.

I realised the dpns when I looked at another pair of mitts on Ravelry so have carried on searching.

Now I have found this which I am seriosuly considering as there are plenty of youtube clips to help me

Only thing is, I have now made two scarves so dont really want a third but as one scarf was Rio Can Can and the other has been fisherman's rib, I suppose I could justify another one on the grounds of learning image

• Options

No idea about how to do cable but love first scarf.Have learnt short rows,which sound scary but are pimps image

This latest link is gorgeous!

• Options

So, I went to Hobbycraft at the weekend and bought this book together with a ball of 3-ply and 3.25mm needles.

I am doing eyelets and forming a diamond.  I am doing the ones that slope from left to right ok, but not the ones sloping from right to left.  I think its something to do with my 'skpo' in that I am not passing the correct stitch over.

I can see that the yarn forward creates an increase which the pass over then cancels out but which stitch is actually passed over.  The slipped stitch should be the second stitch on the right hand needle, but with the yarn forward it becomes the third stitch.  So is it the second or third stitch which is passed over

Any help and advise is wecome and I don't mind being patronised image

Oh, and would I be better off doing it on bigger needles with DK wool until I am happy I can do the pattern?

• Options

it's always the slipped stitch that is passed over (ie the one not knitted), so if there's slip1, knit1, psso, then it would be the 2nd stitch on the right needle; but if it was slip1, yo, knit1,psso the it would indeed be the 3rd stitch on the right needle that you pass over.

you were correct, and I hope that wasn't remotely patronising image

• Options
    oh, and your second point, it may help having a practise with dk and bigger needles, i don't as I'm a bit mmore 'jump  in and see how it goes' kind of knitter lol
  • Options

Thanks Fraggle et al

I realised my tension was slightly too tight making the 'pass slipped stitch' difficult.  Have loosened tension and now all is clear.

Below is my attempt at just getting familiar with the pattern.  I have also added beads to see how that works

/members/images/200439/Gallery/Knitting_1.jpg

I have now cast on again with a border each side of reverse stocking stitch and am going to turn it into a scarf until I am really comfortable with the pattern

I do have to say that is nicer doing more than K1 P1, but I find I lose my way in the pattern quite a lot.  I have lost count of the number of times I have unpicked it all and started again.  I am afriad I dont have the knowledge or experience to work out exactly where I have gone wrong and how to correct it.  It seems far  easier at this stage to undo it all and start again image

• Options

That's very pretty Schmunks image

The knowing how you've gone wrong bit comes with time and confidence.  In no time you'll find yourself 'knowing' what comes next just by looking.

I have just finished a lacey patterned scarf in very thin wool.  I'd a real struggle at first remembering how the holes worked out but I soon got the hang of it.  Just need to wash it and pin it out now to get it into shape.  Then start another one as my mum saw it and wants one too image

• Options

Here it is as I am working it now.  3-ply wool on 3.25mm needles.  I have never done anything so fine before

/members/images/200439/Gallery/knitting_2.jpg

• Options
    That is about the same thickness as my sock wool.  The mohair mix the scarf is done is like hairy thread.  Took me ages to get used to it and I caught it with my nail .... that'll be an unscheduled hole in the scarf then image
  • Options
    Erm, hello?
    can any running knitter join this thread?
    I've just finished a rather large blanket for my son that had lots of scary terms in it.thank heavens my mum knits. I'm doing fairly basic squares to make one for my daughter cos apparently she doesn't remember all the ones I made for her as a baby. (wonder why!)
  • Options
    Safe to say all knitters from novice to expert welcome image

I am somewhere in the middle. Used to be better, rediscovering old skills.

Scarf is washed and pinned out on the livingroom floor like a hairy green assault course.
  • Options
    I'm on the 'improving' side of things. I can do more than just knit and purl but don't tend to do garments cos the kids have grown by the time I get them finished. Perhaps I should start knitting for any future grandkids?
  • Options
    That sounfs like a plan 'by eck image

I have mainly been doing socks and scarves. I dont need any more jumpers. And socks are good to do on trains and planes.
  • Options

I've been knitting little jackets and bootees for a friend's twins.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/338474/Gallery/DSC00680.JPG

I am now on my third attempt at knitting from an old pattern book that was my grandma's. I am failing at the piquot edge. It says to knit the cast on edge with the stitches on the needle but it keeps looking twisted. I've done it before with a different pattern and that says to sew it up afterwards - so that's what I'm going to do. G'ah, I will not be beaten by this pattern! imageimage

• Options

hi By 'eck, I'm a novice but love oohing at other people's brilliant works.

Small those are beautiful. 

Looking good Schmunks and I know just what you mean about getting muddled and ripping back. 

• Options

I can't work out how to post a pic of the finished scarf image but I have put a photo on FB for those who frequent that place.

Mauve version now on the needles.

• Options
    Gawjuss ickle garments small image I haven't had a baby to knit for for ages but as beebs is about to become a granny I might have the excuse.
  • Options

What beautiful presents small. Well done

TP's...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422385_10150616074903348_554643347_9030779_1189405043_n.jpg

• Options
    How did you do that? image
  • Options

Magic

Power of the ninja. 

• Options
    But if you really want to know, right click on the image in FB and choose copy link location. Then press the insert image button, press Ctrl +  V.
  • Options
    Puts my pink sparkly magic wand to shame ....
  • Options

Hopefully we find out if its blue or pink on the 20th March, TP. 

Clever Ninja image

• Options

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/548532_10151412092450328_523080327_23296562_1549064271_n.jpg

Only quite small butI like it.

• Options
    Ooo, lovely. Almost perfect apart from the milk in the tea. What are you knitting?
  • Options

Potato chip scarf.

By 'eck  image

Earl grey tea with a dash of skimmed milk

• Options

It sounds complicated reading it but I guess once you get your head round it then it's not that complicated.  Very pretty result.

Too much milk in the tea for me too image

• Options

My tea is weak and I was known as Mrs Magnolia in NCT days image

Its really easy, TP and apparently the technique is short rows. 

• Options
    Yup, short row shaping. I 'learnt' how to do that when i first started cos i would forget where I was in a row and turn my knitting round. Oops!
    I love earl grey tea, and roobois, and lemon and ginfer and....
  • Options
    by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see)
    Yup, short row shaping. I 'learnt' how to do that when i first started cos i would forget where I was in a row and turn my knitting round. Oops! I love earl grey tea, and roobois, and lemon and ginfer and....