Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sorry CC missed your actual sesh!

Presume "Tempo" for you is the old 10mile type pace? If so, that's quite a hard effort to aim for!
    For me,MP is a medium hard, and Actual MP would be a fairly light quality session, the sort of session i can easily see how 10-12miles is doable at, whereas my theoretical zone, less so.
    Tempo for me on the scale would be about 5.40, so that would be a stern effort for 4miles, would have to fancy it!! Think the best i ever did, when at peak fitness was 2x3miles at that zone (albeit slower pace at the time), and that led to 57.09 for 10miles, with a slightly slower 10miler the next week, and then a spell of 34:30 10k, 1.15.41 half etc.

Those tempos be it MP and up certainly get me fit!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

You just reminded me that I did 25 laps plus warm up / cool down at one point last year as a threshold session.  38:xx 10k on the track at 6:30am.  And it was easy!

We are all pretty bonkers on here, aren't we? image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember doing an 8mile MP sesh (theoretical, i alwys point that out, as i'm never going to be doing a marathon, well full stop, but let alone at 6 dead pace) round a 1mile loop once, but i think about 24/25laps round a track alone was my max. That's about as many as you'd ever want to do.

Needless to say my 3mile warm up was done elsewhere! Imagine 12+ laps first!

These marathons round track people are pure mentalists.

• Options

SG - re. theoretical marathon pace I reckon that, when healthy and well-trained, I would expect to race a marathon at the pace I could race a half-marathon plus 13-15 seconds per mile (and have done so three times). So if you get your HM PB pace and add 13 seconds...

• Options

...Was going to say - my mate Chris is lining up his annual 20 mile track tempo again! I said he might have the thickest Strava segment EVER when he finishes image

Good to see you getting there again Scott, looks like one of the Soton kids is getting there - Max? looks like he had a good run at Botley. Raced against him before - and his dad at the Southern masters final!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tempo-ing the order of the day then  - good work both!

Glad to here you are back Scott. Fingers crossed, like everyone on here...

Can't decide whether to run today or not. I feel a bit better, but just have an underlying odd feeling in my chest, so probably best not to. I hope its not as you describe Ric - look what it did to her Maj image

Just to add to the quandary, I seriously broke my commuting bike on the way home last night (bent gear hanger, bent derailleur). I've ordered a new hanger, and might be able to get it working again when that arrives, but if I need a new derailleur, cassette, chain and front ring then I might as well get a new one....either way, I'm stuck without a commuting bike to get to work for a while, which would be OK if I could run of course....

• Options

Scott - Great news to see you doing some consistent running. There appears to be a little excitement in your post there so fingers crossed it continues. I reckon that's the longest anal free streak as well.

I think the Soton chap that finished behind Greenleaf (JR) is local to me and responsible for stealing a few of my CRs on Strava. Thankfully he only takes them when he come home now.

CC - I was going to say those tempo paces sound tough, that's the sort of paces I was doing (before my 35:11 10k) for an LT session, sometimes I would find myself in the 6:00-10 bracket on a bad day.

Nice session from you SG, I reckon that one should feel pretty doable at your level though, particularly on the track?

Bus - Sorry to hear about the bike troubles, that is exactly why I have 5 bikes image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Reg, yep, Jonny R was Reading AC until very recently.  Fast chap.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

WARNING SG - BIKE TALK COMING UP! LOOK AWAY NOW

I've got 3 (well, 2 and a half now I suppose!), but the MTB is no good for commuting (technically it's a classic I guess - 1991 custom built Dave Lloyd Bees Knees Frame with a mixture of high-end components stripped off a dead Stumpjumper and increasingly cheapskate downgrades made over the years!) and I have to wear lycra to use the road bike, which is even worse than shorts and mud on the train image

What I really need is TT bike image

I have been looking at a proper touring bike to use as a commuter though, with one eye on actually doing some touring at some point (I have recently grown a beard after all....)

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

So I owe you a report from the Berkshire County Champs on Saturday, which I didn't get around to writing at the time.

Managed to get a full team out for this one for the first time in ages, and getting a full team basically guarantees medals, so that was a good start.  On a personal level, the aim was clearly to retain my "masters" county title, get back in the Berkshire team for the Inter Counties, and improve on my 7th from last year,

It was a bit of a scramble from the start line, and I found myself back in about 12th, but some optimistic fast starters dropped away.  After one of the four laps, four had separated themselves out a bit, leaving a following group of five (one of whom was a junior and not therefore doing the full distance).  Therefore, qualification in the top 9 looked assured.

Used the second lap to gauge where I was stronger vs the others (unsurprisingly the flat, firm bits) so I knew where to push on the later laps.  At some point during lap 3 one of the group fell back a bit and subsequently DNFed, so barring disaster, top 7 and first vet was in the bag.  On the final lap, another of the group drifted back, leaving it a straight battle with me and an eager youngster for 5th.  I knew getting involved in a sprint finish with a sprightly young fellow would end badly for me, so I tried to get a gap.  Succeeded in pulling out about 10-15 metres, but it was not enough, as he came past again and left me back in 6th.

Final time 40:42, averaging 5:42 pace on a course that was pretty muddy in places.  That's not too bad, but I would have expected to have been closer to the people in 3rd and 4th (3rd has been about 30s ahead in the Hampshire League, but had a good 90s on me this time).  Nevertheless, safely qualified and another county masters gold.

The day ended on something of a downer, as I was informed that we had not in fact actually managed to get any team silverware, because three of our team were vets, who bizarrely could not count for the senior team, despite running exactly the same race.  This obscure rule meant that only one club fielded an actual team.  Had vets counted, we would have been equal first.  I cannot for the life of me think of any good reason for this rule to exist, and all it does is result in the ridiculous situation of only one full team actually being present as opposed to three or four, which surely cannot be any good for the credibility of the race.  Madness.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, a very solid sounding XC performance there, and congrats once again on vets gold.  Hope to be seeing you at the inter counties, and hopefully we can have a good old race of it.

Simon, likewise good to see you defending your title, even if it sounds like you're a bit down on your normal standard.  Hopefully you're also up at the inter counties.

Incidentally, bit surprised it's moved to Loughborough.  I liked Cofton Park, but we will see what this one is like.  My parents met at Loughborough University, so maybe that's a good omen.

Strong tempo sessions all.  Sorry, I've been reading the thread, but dinner's almost ready and don't have time to pick people out individually.  Be careful with your comebacks Reg and Bus and don't cock your bodies up.  Well, don't any of you cock your bodies up, but you two in particular.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dammit Bus, you ruined my attempt to do three consecutive posts, Scotch Eggington style.

• Options

Nicely done at the XC Dachs.

I have to agree, only in running/athletics would you get such a stupid rule. It's not even archaic that one, its just plain silly.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Dachs - you, erm, came in too early with the first one image

That is a monumentally stoopid rule even by UKA standards - and they have some doozies! Still great racing on your part though, and a riveting report to boot image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, it's XC, it's an archaic affair run by men who moan that in their day sub 50 for 10miles was back of pack material. Of course it aint gonna be sensible. Well done though,

Bus, take it easy

Everyone else, take it a little less easy.

Wang, thought i'd explained that one image In context of my flat out training,a  5m MP on track would be fairly standard. Having not done one for 6months, with doubts on health still, a big boost. Got it? 

Today, upped the medium long run back to the proper length after 6months of 8milers, so 10. Felt very nice, 6.40 pace. And if i didn't know better, breathing felt perfect, just befitting of the level of effort.

Let's hope this isn't a cruel trick pre Friday's test!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Good running, and reports image

9 miles for me at average 7:28s - still a bit slower than I'd been running but it was fecking windy out there.  Followed up by 4 x 20s "strides".  Definitely feeling a bit sharper today than I have done.

Long run is happening tomorrow because of circumstances, so will see how I fare compared to last one.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Dachs, it's XC, it's an archaic affair run by men who moan that in their day sub 50 for 10miles was back of pack material. Of course it aint gonna be sensible. Well done though,

Bus, take it easy

Everyone else, take it a little less easy.

Wang, thought i'd explained that one image In context of my flat out training,a  5m MP on track would be fairly standard. Having not done one for 6months, with doubts on health still, a big boost. Got it? 

Today, upped the medium long run back to the proper length after 6months of 8milers, so 10. Felt very nice, 6.40 pace. And if i didn't know better, breathing felt perfect, just befitting of the level of effort.

Let's hope this isn't a cruel trick pre Friday's test!

I guess I have more confidence in you, than you do, nice medium run image.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta bud image

I am probably one over cautious bast, and taking too long at each stage, but if I'm ever 100% again, there's years to smash it, whereas the other way round, all sorts of possible probs!

• Options

Dachs, I know the rules can appear stupid but they are there for all to see and have to be abided by. Say you need 4 per team and you have 4 seniors and 4 vets, then you enter two teams and all is OK. If you have 3 seniors and 5 vets, then there should be an option to register in advance for a lower category, so one of the vets could run in the senior race and you again get two teams of 4. It is patently unfair to run 3 seniors and add 1 of the vets out of the 5 to make up the team after the race has been run, or if the seniors have a bad run say your first 4 vets are the wining vets team.

The way to look at it is that the race is logically more than one race, so you have to declare what logical race you are in before the race starts, not juggle it at the end of the day.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ, there is no option for entering vets in a lower category.  The rules (right at the bottom of the page) said that runners of masters age must be entered as masters runners - the page seems to have been removed now, so can't provide a direct quote.

You're already in a situation where it is not two separate races, because the race is essentially for inter-counties qualification, and that means vets and seniors.  Now seniors and juniors are indeed two separate races, albeit starting at the same time.

I understand that rules have to be abided by, which is why I have not sent a snotty e-mail.  My point is that there appears to be no logical reason for this rule to exist whatsoever.

• Options

I think it is worth sending the snotty e-mail in that case, Dachs, not to complain about the rule being applied, but to ask that it be reconsidered before next time.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

XC for me is now a different planet. 

As a strange coincidence, today I also ran 9 miles averaging 7:28. It wasn't really a valid 7:28 average since I kept stopping. Just one of those days where I didn't fancy keeping the hammer down.

🙂

• Options

Dachs - Does seem they could be a bit more flexible in the future - good run btw. Also SG, 10 mile tempo run nearly there? Good stuff.

Looked at our results again - think I was 20th overall, 5 Beds, 4 Bucks and 10 Oxes infront of me. The Ox's definitely upped the quality!

Training last night back at the Rugby club - 6 x 1200, basically 2 laps of the rugby pitches. Once again watching faster training buddies disappear into the distance! Roughly around 3.50's - a couple of 3.47's, couple up to 3.52 and back to 3.50 for the last one. I had the rough end of the recovery with about 70 secs, found it tough as per usual, start of the 2nd lap especially.

• Options

Simon, I see Ian Kimpton is listed as elite for London Marathon, is he among the faster buddies?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs, our county champs are what you are after. I ran and counted towards the senior team points.   i also counted towards the vets team points (though our team was incomplete).  Same goes for the u20's.  I think this better than the rules you have to put up with.   Also very good racing.  Should see you at the inters.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - the very fact that you are sending a snotty communication means you shoudl only count as a vet image

Some good 9 milers here today - nice coincidence!

SG - cracking paced 10 there!

Simon - difficult to comprehend that at your speed, there are still others disappearing into the distance!

With the lurgy all but shaken off I was back running today (just as well with no bike!), so six at one end and half a dozen at the other. As per the norm after several days off, the run this morning was very sluggish. Of more concern was tonight's, whihc was also sluggish, but this bloody 'adductor' thing, whihc I'd hoped would benefit from the rest was really quite sore. From some reading over the weekend, it could be referred pain from a hip-joint problem rather than a pure muscular thing so I might think about seeking some medical advice...

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Don't know if it was windy where you lot are but its gale force here today.  So did the 10m on my treadmill instead of braving the outside world and did it watching Phoenix nights to pass the time. image

• Options
    Bus- good to see you are feeling a bit better now

PMJ yes IK was one of them, along with Ryan who has joined the group from MK. Ryan recently won the Leicester half in sub 69 and was low 31 in the Abbey Dash..so both shifters!! IK was tootling around doing 3.30's last night.

Looks increasingly like snow tomorrow, in the sweet spot here, especially up in Luton, we're only 100m ASL here.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, usual protocol, stretching/strengthening and easy runs, then if that really isn't helping, can't hurt with a physio. Maybe an Oesteo, rather than a "click your back" type, as those never seem long term heals.

Due to MRI Friday, and long drive Sunday, had to bring tomorrow's track forward to today.

Went for a 6x800 off 90secs job.Didn't think about target pace, just went and saw how they'd come out.

so average 2.36 (unusual in that i didn't do any of the reps at that average!)

1.18 lapping, which would be 5.14mile pace, so probably bang on for the 5k zone i've got, which i'd clearly struggle to get too close to in an actual 5k!

I don't know if something has changed these last 3 days, but that.s a 5m MP, 10mile 6.40, and today, that have felt decent. I'd been getting some decent splits and runs in over the last 6months clearly but these 3 days, it felt more like what it should feel like.

We'll see how tomorrow/ensuing results go. Fingers crossed for some sort of "no further damage(or healing if poss?), and the bug/virus has pretty much made its way out after 18months" That'd be perfect!