Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

The pattern there looks a bit more aggressive than we've seen in the recent past SG.

Nice to see the hammer going down on a couple, good reps. Please note the non contrary post image

Glad to hear you're feeling better Bus, I am still suffering and coughing. The nice thing is that I probably shouldn't be running with a chesty cough so it feels like good timing with me not being able to run for two reasons. Otherwise this may have been a 10 week period of illness and injury.

1 month tomorrow since I went for a run, easily my longest break since I first posted here.

Could be an interesting cycle home if it starts to snow later.

• Options
    Underfoot will be OK, unlikely to settle. Perhaps the slightest hint of sleet now, but like I said, we are only 100m ASL, unlike Wycombe and Luton are about 150m at least. It's good fun if it snows and buggers off pronto..
  • Options

At this time of year there is a game I play called dash and splash. It is quite a simple game: you run along paths etc and from time to time you come to a place where the path is two people wide but one side has a big puddle and the other not. Most of the time you are on your own and simply run along the dry side. Sometimes there are others round you at the same time and most of the time one of you reaches the dry side first and the other waits and then also uses the dry side. Occasionally there is a dead heat, and you both come in at the same time and you do the British thing of stopping to let the other through at the same time as they do the same, then you both advance at the same time and get into some sort of to me, to you Chuckle brothers stand off before it sorts itself out.

However, there is one other outcome and that is dash and splash. Someone sees you coming and sees there is a dry side and a wet side, and dashes to make the the dry side. At this point, the socially correct thing to do is run past through the puddle and splash them, hence dash and splash.

• Options

Best thing is to act like you're going to jump right in the middle with the intention of splashing a normal pedestrian and spread your legs at the last second, thus avoiding the puddle.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Children image

I love snow - hope we get a load, but it goes by Monday!

I always remember a few years back when there was a huge fall just before 5pm whihc settled immediately. Every driver in High Wycombe decided to leave at the same time and grid-lock quickly set in. I was on my bike, so let the tyre pressure down to about 25psi, and set off down the middle of the road, overtaking all the cars. I managed tog et up one of the steepest hills in Wycombe on the fresh snow with soft tyres, even though most cars were failing to. How I smirked image. Mind you, wasn't such fun coming down the hill the next day, when it was compacted and frozen image

Tasty reps SG!

Lunchtime mudfest for me today, in very cold rain - 7 miles. Leg was less sore at end than beginning, so that's something I guess....

• Options

Reg, do you spread your legs for anyone?

• Options

I was working in HW back then Bus, I remember leaving early and escaping High Wycombe just in time. I got as far as the A4 before it started to hammer it down, BMW's and Audis slipping around like a massive dose of Karma had just been poured onto the ground.

I was able to get home quite easily in my 4x4 with a similar level of smugness and joy as I drove up over the pavements to avoid stranded cars.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Reg, do you spread your legs for anyone?

If it's deep enough yes.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Massive amounts of rain usually means puddle fartlek for me, i.e. you have to suddenly sprint in order to avoid being right next to a large puddle when a car drives through it.  You need to have your wits about you.

My weekend race plans have fallen through.  Travellers have rocked up to Prospect Park in Reading again, resulting in the Hampshire XC League race being cancelled.  This is after the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Champs in November on the same course was cancelled for the exact same reason.

Oh well, it means I might make some progress with boarding out my loft.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Perhaps they just want to race too Dachs? image

Hmm, too many 4x4 drivers on here for a bus man like me...image

Lots of snow here currently. Looking forward to my run to the station. My son is very excited, my daughter is very annoyed - she has two mocks tomorrow and has done lots of revision for them....

• Options
    Snow too skinny here. Dachs- bummer that is with the gypos, used to that round here, loads of traveller kids at Ollie's school. They come and go as they please! Quite funny.

Think i remember that afternoon snow, I was in Luton at the time around 2002-2003. Heaviest I saw here was a sat pm in December 2010, never seen snow that heavy in the U.K. I remember a jet being stranded at Heathrow and the pilot waving out of the window on TV.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Looking out of my front window I can detect about 1mm of snow on a car bonnet. Everything else clear. 

I ran home from work when that (2000?) snow storm hit. Tried driving but grid lock. For some reason I had the kit with me. Took 50 odd minutes. A guy who lived nearby took over four hours - to go six miles.

If all is frozen up tomorrow I won't be going out. Black ice underfoot! how can anyone run on that?

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tungsten carbide dobs Ric!

It will be interesting though. Most of the snow here has turned to slush, which is starting to freeze. I've dug out my Inov 8 Oroc 340s, which have said dobsh on them. The grip is quite amazing on ice. On the downside, they are heavy and stiff, and as I have only worn them 4 times in the 4 years I've had them, they are likely to still kill my feet if I choose them tomorrow! I would much prefer a few inches of fresh snow that bog standard fell shoes can cope with.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Really tasty looking reps there SG!  Definitely coming together nicely...

2017 one to watch, could definitely be SG at this rate image

Bus - how long did you go without running before doing a double 6 miler?  I find that's when I have issues with stiff bits here and there - i.e. out of the usual routine for a few days / week / whatever and then start running again.

Reg - hope you're back running soon!

My plans got changed yesterday, so long run will be on Saturday as usual.  Treadmill reps instead last night.  Supposed to be 10x 2 mins @ 5:30-5:35 pace.  I did 2x 2 mins @ 17.4kph which is about in the middle of that pace range and I was already struggling.  Took the speed down to 17 which is about 5:40 and knocked 8x 90s at that instead.

I think the treadmill factor had a lot to do with it.  Decent enough session I suppose and better than not running at all, which would have been the outcome if I didn't have the treadmill handy as I didn't have time until 9pm.

Snow up here isn't that bad.  It was mental yesterday for a while but was almost all melted this morning.  We haven't had "proper" sustained snow for probably 5 years.  The winter of 2010/11 was absolutely fucking mental.  It snowed heavily in November and we were under about 2 feet until February.  We've had heavy snow a few times in recent years but it hasn't stuck around for any length of time (thankfully).

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tasty reps even on a treadmill CC.

5 days before the double by the way - bit ambitious perhaps, but needs must and it was the only way to try and catch up this week.  Legs seem to be recovering today anyhow. 7M off-road on quite interesting underfoot conditions! Lots of slush turned to ice, but also plenty of cold, wet mud and puddles. Glad I had those shoes, even if I had to wear them loose to stop them hurting!  The main problem is actually having the confidence to run on ice in them, as hey will grip. The new version, Arctic claw 275 and the insulated Arctic claw 300 look superb, but I can't justify spending £110 on a pair of shoes to wear once or twice every few years!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Confidence with underfoot conditions is big as I realised on New Year's Day.  I went for an offroad, hilly jaunt, having only packed my normal easy run trainers.  Coming down the hills which weren't even technical, just a bit muddy, with the odd stone / tree root etc, I was having to really slow myself down whereas if I'd had my offroaders on, I'd have been bounding down a lot quicker!!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Quiet on here today!

4.3 recovery at lunchtime but including 5x 1 min efforts @ about 10k pace.  Did them round the rugby pitch on grass - first one a bit sharp at about 5:30 pace, but the others all about 5:50 give or take a couple of seconds.

Windy and some hailstones.  Lovely. image

• Options

I would post more - but wok is a pain in the arse this week! Walking to work today to rest up for the Surrey League xc tomorrow at Mitcham..

• Options

Have you tried a small frying pan instead?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stop stirring.....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC, fair play for treadmill stuff. I think you are right they probably come out quicker, due to lack of air pressure and other reasons, but for me, whenever I've been on them for a couple of mins, I think it's too dam fast and it turns out it's old granny pace image

Quick one from me, after a strange day of Oxford, MRI, back to Wyc, to work, mad furious day, stolen 4miler, working a little late then home image

Forgot most of the things with the MRI, the heavy plating on your chest, the headphones, the noise of the machine, how long it takes!

luckily the nurse chap was a very patient chap, as more than a few times, i managed to fail in the not exactly demanding task of "holding my breath" for a spell image

Week or 2, and we'll see what we're looking at.

Just makes it feel a weird week...good long runs, good tempo, good track reps, Heart MRI image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

How long for the results SG?

6 home tonight in mud, mud , mud. Legs felt OK, but bloody knackered by the end.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sounds tough Bus, but do you really sit on a train covered in mud? 

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yes, really. Although last night the mud was AFTER the train journey.

In the mornings I sit on newspaper if I'm muddy enough for it to be an issue. Yesterday, it wasn't, as all the mud was frozen!

Right, despite a 7+6 yesterday, I'm considering doing the LSR today instead of tomorrow as the forecast for tomorrow is torrential rain all day!  I don't mind a bit of rain, but cold, heavy continuous rain for two hours is not really something to positively look forward to!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Week or two bus. You muddy dastard ????????.

Got my long un in just then, as tomorrow is drive/footy/staying up north job.

6.44 for a 13 is a bit too tasty in honesty. But it wasn't pushing, so seemed ok.

Couple of days footy watching til tuning again. Although Monday in driving back so will limit to a short run at some stage
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    (clearly drawing a smiley face on your phone gives question marks and loads!!!)

Ps starting to rain v heavily now.got back in nick of time
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Eh? Me no understand?

Nice long run pace. As you say, if you are not pushing, then its probably right. Glad to hear you didn't take Gaz up his offer of 30 laps of the Rye - madnessimage

Raining/snowing heavily here now!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I was on my phone, and used a couple of smiley faces, by using the colon, dash, bracket, and it seems that translates to a raft of ??? marks! Hence the out of place keen questioning of the muddy dastard comment!

The bit to not understand was running, somehow autocorrecting to "Tuning" image

I mentally struggled to get a 6miler in with laps of the Rye and Kmead the other week, so over double the distance(over triple for him!) of just the Rye would have been dull.

Gaz tells me he put in 20 just over 7 pace. That sounds a pretty good run!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He does his long runs too fast IMO - hence why he keeps missing his marathon targets...

It was the "week or two" bit I didn't understand!

Went out into the semi-frozen mud and just ran as I felt and did 6, so still the LSR to do tomorrow....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You asked a question, that was the response!. (although id already said in my original anywayimage