Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'd seen your XC on strava Dean and was very impressed with the pace. 5.25 on mud is impressive!

Any plans for another marathon Dachs or another year of the faster stuff? A half maybe?

I was slightly slower over the last half but miles 10-13 are a gentle rise looking at the elevation so pretty consistent still. Miles 7/8 were my quickest I think as that's where I passed my clubmate and decided that I'd get at least a solid run out of it if I didn't make the finish.

CC82, I used a small gel belt thing. It wasn't too bad. I think I'll carry an extra one or two this time also. In Sundays half a chap in a group in front dropped a gel at 6 miles and went back the 10 or so yards so I passed him. Never saw him again so the gel can't have been that good.image
  • Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Nice XC PMJ, what prompted the switch to a Saturday league?

Couple of reasons:

1) I am slowing down so little chance of making the top 6 for Datchet but for Vets AC I finished 3rd in a team of 10

2) I prefer Saturday as a daty to run XC. Guess it is just what I have always done, so XC Saturday and long run Sunday. If yo have Sunday XC then the long run has to move midweek and I can't do that any more and still recover for the weekend.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Re: the gels thing, I only have one pair of shorts with pockets and they're a bit big (the shorts) for racing in.  My smaller shorts have nowhere to fit anything other than the small zip pocket at the back, where I put my car keys when I need to.

I don't find the belt annoying - I've used it a few times now and actually wear it when I'm Parkrunning or at other races by myself because my racing shorts don't even have a car keys pocket!  So the small pouch on the belt is good for the car keys (and that's where I keep my PR barcode).

I'll look into shorts with loops and that sort of thing but I don't think I could handle a gel under my Garmin!!

Matt - what kind of belt do you have?  And - I'm surprised someone at that end of the race was taking gels in an HM (and thought it necessary to run back and pick up a dropped one)!!

Nice run this morning - 1.5 warm-up, 4 miles @ 6:49 (target 6:45-50); 4 miles @ 6:30 (target 6:28-33); 1.5 cool down.  Total of 11 @ ave. 6:58.  Back on target for a session for the first time since Xmas I think!!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I know people have stitched Velcro to the back of their shorts and then put some on the gels with double sided sticky tape. Other safety pin them on, but I'd think that could be fiddly to get them off at race pace!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Yeah - they need to be easily accessible.  Even at 6:50s on Saturday, I lost a bit of pace when I took my gel out and got the top off etc.  And that seemed fairly seamless.  Dicking about with safety pins does not sound appealing at all.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, get the saturday/sunday reasoning, but for me, if i've done a race, especially a tough MT one, i'd take that as being instead of the long run. Doing both back to back seems to increase the risk. But then maybe i was more softcore then some of you!

From what i've seen of the Saturday v Sunday courses, the Sunday ones seem far more varied and enjoyable, and 2pm on a saturday could barely be a worse time personally. However, each to their own! Probably a bit about me being a footballer/fan by nature makes me feel uncomfortable with running there, whereas your purer runners, find it natural.

Whoops, meant this to be a quick check in, and read back later....

5m MP to consolidate last week, and this time I'd aimed to put 5miles in.

20 laps and 11.93seconds to be sure of the extra.

29.45 job.

Probably the coldest i've run in for a long long time. Later in the session it was quite hard to take the split, hence some coming out as 2 lap or 3 lap splits!

so we had from the 20 laps a bit of an awkward recording overall of
    1.26  x1
    1.28 x6
    1.29 x5
    1.30 x3

2.54 for 2 lap split (presume 1.27 average)
    4.23 for 3 lap split (presume 1.28 average)

Was unsure whether the track would be slippy, or whether it's all weather (like astro used to be), but despite looking a little dodgy, was essentially fine.
    These MP sessions on the track are a balancing act pro v con.

Pro is the safety and consistent underfoot. 
    Con is the dullness, not being able to pick landmarks to break it up, and have people to motivate you!

• Options

CC - I know you're in Scotland but how about buying a new pair of racing shorts with a pocket in image

Phil  - Don't you score as one of the vets for Datchet at TVXC?

Nice session there SG.

Bike was a touch chilly this morning and lots of ice about, what I learnt is that my brakes don't work in the cold and I had to stop a car by gesturing with my hand at a roundabout as I wasn't stopping! Need to do some brake maintenance!

Last night I got a puncture before leaving work and the spare also had a hole in so I had had to tie a knot over the hole with an old bit of inner tube and managed to get home. It was quite satisfying.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I am a tightwad, except when it comes to running gear.  I'm quite happy to purchase another pair of shorts!  I have a couple of pairs that do fine for racing in that do have a small pocket that will handle my car keys.

If the right pair of shorts is out there that can handle gels without being too bulky, then I'm all over it...

Another cracking track session SG image

• Options

i actually do have a pair of men's racing shorts (Brook inifiniti 3" split shorts, I think) given to me by a friend, which have two spacious side pockets big enough for 2 gels each. If you are a size S you can have them. Disclaimer: he gave them to me because they were too indecent for him to wear in public and he thought they might be better on a small woman.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

CC - if you are tight buying kit..god knows what you will think of my recent impromptu purchase at Nike Store.  only went in to exchange sizes on a pair of my wifes racers.  and i got this little haul for me...a pair of lunarspider stripped back racers, zoom streak racers, 2 pairs of lunartempos, 1 pair of Vomeros, and 2 pairs of lunarracers 3 (1 pair off camera).  Should see me through the yearimage

/members/images/549285/Gallery/trainers.JPG

decent session SG - i quite like the track for runs like that..i know its boring going round and round but you get an accurate reading every 400m so its easier to keep the pace for me.

i did a 16*400m off 80sec recovery last night.  It was very cold but they all came out 68/69s a few 67s by accident and the positive thing was they werent strained...i was controlled and felt "comfortable".  So hopefully in a decent place to push on.

• Options

Dean - You must have too much money. I only buy trainers discounted on the internet.

I think most men would be disappointed if 3" shorts were not indecent.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice one Dean - on the reps and the trainers.  I said I'm a tightwad except for buying running gear!

Lit, I am a size small - perhaps worth a try...  image

• Options

Christ Dean that's a right haul. Not bought Nike for years though. Good reps btw.

Nice road running Dachs - good DIY too. I'm not a proper bloke in that respect, pretty usless around the house.

Disagree SG - Football fan, but prefer Saturday racing too, LSR the day after. I just hope there aren't too many clashes with matches I want to go to. Sunday races have become more popular in the last 20 years I think.

Gels? I had three cola Squeezy gels in Berlin. Having nearly as much Caffeine as a can of Red Bull in each..they got me round. Just held them in my hand - all three in my left - couldn't do two in the left and one in the right image. The first one went everywhere.

Fecking cold last night at Luton. 8 x 1k , so the 600 around the pitches and 400 up and down the slope of doom. Ended up with 3.20 for the first one, 5 at around 3.17, the last two at 3.16 and 3.12. Happy with that seeing as the ground is getting heavy - and 150m of slope in each rep. Hitting a bit harder this week - as it's the 'xc free' weekend. Full commuting miles with a Regents Pk session tomorrow lunchtime hopefully.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I tend to stretch out my shoe purchases a fair bit myself Dean. Good 400's btw.

In fact good training and racing everyone.

A few days off for me. Some (I assume) left over scar tissue from last Aprils show stopper showed it's face during the last run. Sore area almost cleared. Another day or so should sort it.

Minor stuff compared to some around here.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

3" shorts in this weather would be about right to protect decency image

Dean - you are single handedly keeping the running industry going!

Nice repping going on, and lovely tempo SG!

9 miles for me at lunch, with 7 of them at slightly quicker than MP. Bit slippery in places and feckin knackered now!

• Options

With these particular shorts, it was not so much the length as the depth of split that was the most horrific.

• Options

So it's a girth issue?

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Phil, get the saturday/sunday reasoning, but for me, if i've done a race, especially a tough MT one, i'd take that as being instead of the long run. Doing both back to back seems to increase the risk. But then maybe i was more softcore then some of you!

The Sunday long run after a hard Saturday is ideal if you want to do a marathon as the legs start tired. A lot of marathon traning is designed to do long runs on tired legs.

Reg Wand wrote (see)

Phil  - Don't you score as one of the vets for Datchet at TVXC?

Nope, at Datchet we had 2 vets in the top 10, at HX 2 in the top 18, Reading 2 in the top 14. I have to chase the lower places with the seniors. Need a rule change to add a MV50 into the mix.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Reg - behave image

Happier with my lunchtime run than I thought after looking at the details on Strava. The 6:39 pace overall includes the 1st and last mile at 7:30 pace, and not far off 400ft of hills, but the bit I'm happiest with is a segment which has a 150ft climb over 3/4 mile which I took 10 secs off my previous best for, so feels like a good test of fitness. Still a long way behind Ian K's time on the segment of course image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Usual very high standards of training and racing even though the chit chat resorting to a page on how to carry gels is not the most riveting of reads????

Still struggling with calf issues myself. They're currently just bouncing around so now back to my right leg and at the back. Managing some general running and an evenful parkrun last week (3rd in 19'00 despite a fall in the muddy bit though aided a little by a slight short cut on lap 1 as no-one told us the course had changed its path through the woods). Not done reps or intervals for months now but my general speed seems ok still, but painful after each run and a 3/10 pain during. Going to get more physio but any ideas welcome, especially as why the calf pain is switching legs and in different places. General malaise, referred pain, old age, psychosematic; who knows!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Chit chat indeed Pete! It's the attention to such trivia that makes this thread the unmissable daily classic it is image

Presumably you are doing lots if calf raises on a step?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good bits and pieces going on. Couple of name checks for CC going well as per the last half of last year and Dean particularly mad but casual 400s. 

Manc trip at weekend has pushed each day back one, so medium long today, 10 miler again, 6.54 so a bit more sensible than last week's job.

Only complaint (pre MRI results of course!!) is a very strange ache ina small section of the right hand, sort of next to the thumb under the Index finger. Almost like a sort of RSI injury as i feel it when using spoon etc! Odd, maybe the cold has got in!

• Options

Presumably the RSI injury could be down to typing your Parkrun reports?

I got a programme by Fitzinger on coming back from a SF that involves starting with run/walks 2mins on 2 mins off, I may give this a go tonight, although I don't fancy walking in these temps.

• Options
    My first session (done Tuesday) was 60s on off for 10 minutes done after a month of easy running Reg! And I had 7 weeks off before that!

Take it easy!!!

Great running elsewhere, Matt superb HM. Defo stop alcohol and dairy pre race and no food 3 hours before if any.

I've had the odd gel, have a regular running belt which fits phone and keys in, had one in Jersey when I ran my HM. I was more under prepared anyway and took one at 10 mile purely on the fact I knew it was going to be so hot and hadn't ever really ran that far before. I wouldn't think You'd need one when training properly for a HM

Dean - lovely lot of shoes! Love Vomeros

38 miles last week. Ran a few 4/4 doubles and an 8 miler which was my longest run since last July :/

Feet are a bit niggly so being mindful I've obviously become very weak as this will be my last shot at running before I choose to take up something else
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Pete - surely the carrying of gels in a marathon is right up there in terms of important running issues! image

Scott - keep at it.  I'm really hoping it comes back together for you this year!

Things appear to be coming back after that brief spell of not hitting paces etc.  Treadmill job last night was 4 miles recovery but including 5x 1 minute "faster than 10k pace".  10k pace is 5:50ish, so set the session up for 12kph for 10 mins, then 1 on 1 off of 17kph / 12kph, then another 10 minutes at the end.  Felt quick on the "on" reps but totally doable.

Got 6 on the plan for lunchtime with strides at the end then an 18 miler tomorrow consisting of 5 warm-up, 60 mins @ 6:15-20 (which is apparently MP image), then make up to 18 with the cool down.  Quite looking forward to it, even although it's going to have to be an early morning job due to busy weekend plans!

• Options

Nice running CC.

Scott, my plan is not even full running for the first week or two and then I won't be doing any sessions for a while.

I am doing Ironman this year so I don't really need to rush it, lots of Z1-Z2 stuff. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

After five days off the running, this morning I braved the freeze and tentatively set off for a check on the niggled knee.

Made it up as I went along and jogged a first mile in just under nine minutes. Good! no reaction, so far. 

Four miles later the average pace was 8:03. Still good, so fairly happy about that.

Connected to the recovery, yesterday I beat a pb which had stood since 1977.

🙂

• Options

Ric - Downed a pint in under 5 seconds?

Good stuff SG, CC82 and Scotty - keep it up lad...don't do anything else?!?!

Lunchtime session yesterday - started doing some 200's on the canal towpath, but people keep turning up out of bloody nowhere, so canned it after 4 reps and went into St. Pancras park and did 8 400 ish reps (well all about 71's). Bit mossy in places so had to go careful.

Long commute run today - getting picked up at the station in LB so I think a bottle of bitter from M&S will fit the bill. Well it is the free weekend with no XC! And looks like the Southerns might not be stupidly muddy this year at least. Hurrah!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

back on track CC. When the Moz was setting sessions, there'd be the occasional that didn't go to plan. Brush it off, carry on and do the next one always the advice.

Nice one Ric, bloody cold aint it!

Track today, as a single (lunchtime i'd amazongly committed to something social! - sort it out!)

Fancied some 600s action, so 8x600 of 90, washed down with 2x400 and 2x200

(average 1.57)

(then 1.16x2 for the 400s, and 36x2 for the 200s)

I'm sure 1.18 was the "5k lap pace" i'd worked to before, so that came out bang on target looking back now.

Which is funny, as during, i was wondering if i was a little slower, with thoughts of the super cold weather meaning i wasn't the right temp and similar nonsense, but it seems it was on track after all!

Nice,

That's me til Sunday now, so i'll live the dream with a glorious lie in tomorrow`