Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Pete. Maybe you should have done two parkuns at full speed yesterday to make sure of the sub 38?
  • Options
    Nice tripping Matt but I love the Strava wanker action.

Good run that Pete, don't forget the wind, I'm sure there are more sub 38s there for you. That's a big turnout in your age category and it's nice to be the best.

Abingdon marathon for me today. Went out pretty quick, too quick really. Halfway in just under 1:20  :D and was on track for sub 2:45 until the last two miles when I just ran out of gas. Pretty happy that for once I left it all out there, maybe more conservative pacing would have seen me closer but my plan was to make the last few miles hurt and I managed that! 2:45:5ish in the end.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Reg. See what happens when you properly target something? Imagine if you went all in running and binned the bike distraction.

Pete, you wouldn't believe us even if you had smashed it today, you'd want 5 or 6 examples :) Not too far off last time really, can't imagine it was incredibly great conditions today!

• Options
    Good run there Reg. Wind can't have helped any today. 1:20 half for 2:45 goal is way too fast but you know that.
  • Options
    Good run there Reg. Wind can't have helped any today. 1:20 half for 2:45 goal is way too fast but you know that.
    It would have been spot on for 2:40 though  :D

Wind didn't feel too bad. Didn't help but don't think it made a huge difference.
  • Options
    Some good running going on, and some dodgy conversation about women's knickers!

Very competitive edge there Matt with Strava-hunting and tripping up the club mate ;) 
    Great result on the marathon Reg, and can't knock an age-cat win PeteM!

Not a lot happening here - not run since training on Tuesday due to some pain on the top of my foot. Strangely it's not when running, but sets in a number of hours later. Not a brand new thing, but previously been a slight ache and thought it would go.
    Been to see a physio on Thurs, and may be the oncoming of extensor tendonitis - so hoping rest will help. Got some exercises to increase mobility in my ankles, including kneeling down and sitting on my feet (which cause my arches to cramp something awful). Stress fracture has been pretty much ruled out.

Doing this sports testing tomorrow morning, and it was too late to pull out so hoping it will be okay, and then perhaps put some easy runs in during the week.

A bit gutting, but my schedule around uni is pretty hectic the next week, so may not have been able to fit much running in anyways.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking result Reg - very well done! Mind you I have just finished a far more difficult endurance event! Three hours of amateur dance schools at a West End theatre!!! Worse thing was my daughter was on for the first 4 and last 6 mins. Oh, and I'll be driving when we get back so couldn't even have a few beers to make it bearable!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Extensor tendonitis matt? That the one where you feel aches in the toes when moving them?

Had that once and rather than rest, putting your foot in warm water and twiddling your toes as fast as poss seemed to completely heal it!
    If not that disregard...if so..maybe food for thought

Bus..sounds tedious fare. Although you'd look rude if she was on first ten then you disappeared!!
  • Options
    Reg Wand said:

Wind didn't feel too bad. Didn't help but don't think it made a huge difference.
    So true, but that is maths and not running. Your running has come on in leaps and bounds and it is hard to say if an 80 minute half is keeping the lid on it or not. The impact of the wind is hard to say for sure but anecdotally there were people out yesterday running a lot slower then they have done on the same course with the same fitness.

Not a lot happening here - not run since training on Tuesday due to some pain on the top of my foot. Strangely it's not when running, but sets in a number of hours later. Not a brand new thing, but previously been a slight ache and thought it would go.
    Been to see a physio on Thurs, and may be the oncoming of extensor tendonitis - so hoping rest will help. Got some exercises to increase mobility in my ankles, including kneeling down and sitting on my feet (which cause my arches to cramp something awful). Stress fracture has been pretty much ruled out.

I had the same a few weeks ago and was worried it may be a stress fracture or shin splints but turned out to be tibialis anterior tendonitis and it cleared with a spell of rest. Walking on the heels with the toes pulled up was really painful but seemed to aid with the clearance.

• Options
    Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    SG, that's the one! Stretching the toes up, having them splayed, or walking on certain parts of the forefoot (which is how I walk barefoot) brings on an ache. 
    Will try the warm water and wiggling!

I was kind of hoping to hear that others have had something similar, so I know how to approach letting it recover.
    A few cracks of the toes appears to ease things a little, and the tendon at the top of the foot seems a little creaky when dorsiflexing - so wonder if it's the tibalis anterior causing the problems, like you PMJ.

Bus, I think you deserve a gold medal for that one!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Matt - good luck with the foot!

SG - wasn't worried about rudeness, but they'd cunningly put her on both right at the beginning and right at the end, so had no choice!!  Yes, Saturdays have gt into a bit of a habit. It works better for family stuff, but greatly increases the chances of being shot in the West Wycombe estate!!

Feel pretty lergified today, and the miserable weather isn't doing much to help my enthusiasm for a lunchtime run! Off to Wales for a few days on Wednesday. We'll be based in Anglesey, but I'm hoping to get up some mountains in Snowdonia at some point.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt - it's probably the only niggle i've ever had that you can actively heal, while maintaining usual mileage. 
    I wrote "warm" water for safety until clarifying it's the condition you have, but "as hot as you can safely stand" is more what you want, and some aggressive twiddling!
    May be one you can pad out with cotton wool as well in between too.

Enjoy Wales Bus. One heck of an epic place, just the small amount i've experienced. Amazing how relative it makes you feel about other hills!
  • Options
    Reg Wand said:

So true, but that is maths and not running. Your running has come on in leaps and bounds and it is hard to say if an 80 minute half is keeping the lid on it or not. The impact of the wind is hard to say for sure but anecdotally there were people out yesterday running a lot slower then they have done on the same course with the same fitness.

I'm not going to pretend that the 80 minute half was keeping a lid on it but my plan was to get out hard and race with more aggression. I knew it was risky and I also surged a few times to bridge the gap to get some shelter.

I did look back a few times to assess if there was a good group to drop back to but I didn't really want to take a backwards step, I wanted to stay aggressive and find out what I could do.

If there's one frustration from my previous marathons, which were all evenly paced it's that I never found out where the limit was. I'm happier with this one and I'm aware that I could have maybe run a bit quicker with better pacing but not much.
  • Options
    Reg Wand said:
    If there's one frustration from my previous marathons, which were all evenly paced it's that I never found out where the limit was. I'm happier with this one and I'm aware that I could have maybe run a bit quicker with better pacing but not much.
    Wish there were more out there prepared to do the same. There are a few rare people who race marathons year in, year out, and each race they gradually tweak the pace up a bit until they are at their maximum, but they are very rare (Jools is probably the only example I know). Many more will set conservative targets and are happy to fulfil them and never really know what their full potential is. Totally agree that every so often it is worth going out and taking a risk and if it pays off, champagne moment, and if not just smile and say you tried. I had similar, so in 2011 I did 2:57 for the marathon off an 82 half and then for 2012 I should really have targetted 2:53 off an 80 half but who wants 2:53? 2.4x looks so much better and I ended up with 2:50:28 which hurt at the time but looking back I am happier with that then if I had run an well paced 2:53.
  • Options

Good effort Reg - looking really fit at the moment, good run from Pete too. I too am in the 'pain on the top of foot' gang with MH and SG..mines just a bit painful when I start off.

Southern xc relays at Wormwood Scrubs on Saturday, I was on leg2. As expected stupidly windy..our lead runner came back in 3rd and I was chasing the other Torry from Serpies. Managed to catch him and get into 2nd at the back in the trees, until an Oxford City guy came past me as we turned into the wind - then the Serpies guy and two more came past in the last 10 metres! Reasonably happy with my 14.47 for the leg - did 14.38 in 2013 when it wasn't windy and I was 4 years younger..

We rallied to come 4th overall. Hillingdon won and seem to be tapping in very well to the local community! their 3rd leg runner smashed Paskar Owar (Belgrave) out of the park. Apparently one of them cut off some of the course accidentally...but they were well in front so no one complained. Hopefully SEAA will put add the times to the team placings later today.

Nice 17 miler yesterday, best I've felt over that hilly course in Aylesbury Vale..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Just to clarify, SC...i don't have pains now...just once. Hope yours eases off though.

Good turning over none the less!
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Reg, that's a great run on limited mileage and with fighting off a cold during the week. Hang the bloody bike up. ;-) 
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great run reg, had no idea you had that sort of performance in you. I obviously haven't been paying enough attention as before that post I would have guessed your half PB to be in and around 1.20. 

2.45 in any circumstances is a proper time and run, congrats.

Simon - heard a rumour the SEAA messed up the times so no senior men will get times from the relay. well done on the 4th.  

MAtt H - hope the foot heals soon

pete - if you are unsure about the parkrun before a race.  If you can answer what benefit you get from doing it then carry on...but if you cant and very few elite or top runners like a race a day before a race then maybe .....

We did the midlands relay and the A team finish 5th and b team finished 7th.  Our fastest leg of the day was the first guy in the B team and had he raced in the A team we would have taken silver.  My leg was rather ordinary. out on my own for most of it, I eased off in the wind and pushed elsewhere. I made a position up but other than that was uneventful. Ave pace wasn't anything to write home about.

• Options
    Yes, still no times yet. This could be the SEAA's finest moment....so far
  • Options
    Yes, still no times yet. This could be the SEAA's finest moment....so far
    If we organise the most simple of club events we always get a video camera on a tripod set at the finish line and start the video when the gun goes off so we can always go back and record times accurate to the second. With realys, you have runners with numbers so it has to be simple.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dare say your average display was still tidy stuff Dean!
    Just thinking Reg, you were just a gnat's gnidger of a championship London place, but probably it was like the time i did a 1.15.41, and it was already a good pb and thoughts weren't so much on that further benchmark

Tuesday session day. Saw some club FB chat about a 5k time trial, but 1) i like to get my session done early doors, and 2) they seemed obsessed with everyone pacing everyone else, meaning i dare say no-one would actually be trying to run a fast one.

Therefore, aimed to develop the previous 2 weeks 7m MP and 7m MP ending faster, to a 6m with every 4th lap at HMP pace.

Did lap 2 at HMP which threw me, and it was feeling pretty warm already, so i converted the session on the hoof to a 40min/6.5mile unstructured fartlek.

Have never actually done one of these, due to being exceptionally anal/OCD and needing to know what distance at what pace. Remembered Aley recommending one a while ago too.

Therefore, covered 26 1/2 laps, 1 at 1.19, 11 in the 1.24 to 1.28 range, 9 at 1.29-1.31 and 5 jog laps mixed in.  Last 200 chucked in at 39secs

Probably a harder session than outright MP, but mentally easier switching it up.
    Felt very warm even in a vest. Not sure if it's a humid day or i was just feeling it!

Still, 10miles all in, will get through to Friday (12x600s due), then start a mini cut down week from Sunday pending a turn out or two.
  • Options
    Nice work SG, it's definitely warm today. My target was that Championship place. I was still on course, time wise at least at 24 miles, I did that one in 6:40 but that was a struggle, I  needed to do the last two at about 6:4x as well but they were into the wind, and there were a few tricky turns and an underpass to negotiate. The pavement was pretty bumpy in places too. Oh and my legs were buggered.

Still can't walk today.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That underpass is a bitch Reg! Also, those little greasy, twisty footpaths into the stadium are no fun - when I last did it I saw a few runners come a cropper, including one who grazed his knee up badly and just missed a sub 3 because of it.

Don't listen to Matt and hang the bike up Reg :-). It's precisely because of the massive bike endurance that you can do a 2:46 off very limited running!!!

It was humid this morning, so a good session there SG.

8M muddy xc for me this morning. Virtually pain free for the first time in ages, so that's good. Hope it continues!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thank goodness for the confirmations that it wasn't just me :)
    Sam and Trev turned up near the end, just in time to see me sitting on the track and trotting out 2 slow cool down laps.

Felt like saying i was running faster earlier honest!

Pain free! Good news indeed old son!

Binned off the planned United trip Saturday. Work night out on the Friday, Wycombe game on the sat anyway, and a sketchy arrangement of having to meet some pal's pal as my second ticket option.. A big game, but all in all the sensible decision. The idea of a late night followed by a 7am 180mile drive didn't sound glorious!

• Options

PMJ - Yes not hard is it. SEAA just go from one cock up to the next. Many clubs will seriously start asking where their money is going at this rate. Good session SG - being half term I've got the rest of the week off, the folks plus one niece visiting so I need to cram loads of work in before I go, hopefully time for a sneaky 200m session later on.

Family day out to Whipsnade zoo tomorrow, so we only have to take one car I, (naturally) have offered to run the 9 or so miles there as a nice longish midweek run. As you do ;)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Half term! Knew it had to be that, as i left the track gone 20 past and still got to work, stretched/showered to my desk by 9!
    Normally anything past 10 past is dodgy terrain
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SEAA are getting to become a bit of a joke.  This stuff is not hard.

Great run at Abingdon Reg, as you say well worth going for it and seeing what comes out of it.  That must also be the shortest report in terms of words per mile that we've ever had on here though.  SG would be just getting out of bed at that stage in his report.  I also see from the results that you are the Berkshire marathon champion as a result?  Kept that one quiet, didn't you?

Well run at the relays Dean, uneventful cross country is always best.  if there's an 'event' during a cross country race it's pretty unlikely to be a good one.

Nice session SG, good to see you letting your metaphorical hair down.

Was down in Exeter at the weekend, hence not being available for the XC relays.  I noticed that the hotel was about a kilometre from the parkrun start, so I mooched down there in the eye of 'Storm Brian' and had a crack at it.  Was windy, but not as tree-bendingly windy as I'd feared.  A good proportion was on mushy grass too, so I was reasonably happy with 16:44 for first.  Just wanted a fast training run, wasn't too fussed about time.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Oops, sorry Pete, well run at Fleet too.  Nice old man bling.
  • Options
    Thanks Dachs, that Berkshire thing is a bit of a mystery to me, I have a vague recollection of doing something at work, when I was bored once but I thought it was last year. Is Berkshire marathon champ actually a thing?
  • Options
    Looking on the Berkshire website, I think it was an error on the results page as they don't have my name down there.