Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Somethingweird is happening to my posts - they keep disappearing. ...
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Anyway, as I thought I said earlier -  very nice reps Matt! It toommea while to work out what you were talking about with thatbread knife business! Im sure she will be delighted if you head out for a double ;-).   Yes, that was on the way to the top. Cracking morning out, but my quads are paying for it now! Thought about going to watch the Snowdon Marathon, but feeling too lazy!

Simon - hopeyou managed to get up. There's no way I could have done after a 1.30 post!!!
  • Options
    Ha ha Bus, yeah but of a struggle as we had to leave at 7.45 to make sure we got there in time. Pretty nice course, bit of a drag up the start, but must be a 1km downhill to the finish on each of the 2 laps. I ran with the kid, he did about 35 again. Did the parkrun myself after in 30 second reps, did about 25 of them..got the lungs going at least. 
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Looks like a wonderful place to run Bus; amazed you suss out all the routes so readily? Do you just use your phone or is it a maps job when the signal is poor or non-existent?

Interesting reps Simon; is that 12.5 min parkrun pace then, admittedly with recoveries along the way still amazing?

Standard double weekend for me. Tough parkrun at Bracknell in 19'53 for 6th of about 400 then 37'58 on very undulating club 10k today. Sub 38 was my target at Fleet 10k last week and missed it with 38'15 so surprised to beat it on a low key club 10k on a hillier course. Did 39'03 on the same course last month so big improvement; but conditions were pretty much perfect today I suppose. Pity there weren't proper races on locally today!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Funny old game, I never race, and you seem to twice every weekend. Got to be a balance in between!

Biggest surprise is that Bus is on hol again:? And Simon has turned out again.

The actual big surprise of the weekend is a SG night out on Friday.

On the warmup of my session at 7am, still out (straight from leaving work) at 11pm.

I'm so soft core, I've now spent the last 2 days borderline coldy :)

Though got a sub 7 paced 13miler in to hit a 70.5mile week.

That's my biggest ever month's running, with a 68-72-72-70.5

Cut back this week, with a Man Utd trip Tue/Wed, and all being well a couple of actual turnouts next weekend!!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Where's Ric? 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Where indeed Matt....
    How was the Lakes trip?

Night out? You'll ruin your reputation as the forum monk SG! That's a big month of miles!

Pete - maps! Half the fun of going away somewhere new is spending time working out routes on OS maps in advance. That route on Friday had a bit of help from the FRA forum as well though. Good work on another double, and especially the sub 38.

Nice run this morning too. Mainly on road, but very hilly, with quads not yet recovered (and still needed a map!).Some fantastic views of the sun coming up over the Snowdonia mountains across the Menai strait to boot. I had no clear idea how long I was going to run for, or how my legs would hold up (walking was a struggle yesterday!), but ended up running all the way to a headland on the north-east tip of Anglesey at a lighthouse called Trwyn Du. This is across the strait to the coast at Penmaenmawr where my Nan used to live and I spent hours playing on the beach as a kid - last there about 35 years ago!  By the time I got back to our apartment, I found I had done 10.6M. That was rather pleasing to my round number fixation, as added to the 39.4 already done it took me to exactly 50.0 for the week!! 

Perfect start to the day, but it went downhill fast - took 7 hours of driving to get home and my back and legs kept seizing up stuck in the car in traffic!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Matt - 2 week sinbin offence. Nov 5 onwards he can return.

Sounds like running heaven for you Bus. Sometimes those runs where you set off not knowing the disto are the best. I sometimes "con" myself that i'll "Only" do a certain distance for a long run, espeially if slightly under the weather, but more often than not end up doing the usual amount.

Sunday i thought "10 minimum, 12.5 maximum" (max to hit 70), and still did 13 anyway.

Very cold today, is this here to stay now for the next 4months?
    Usual Monday drill, 6 done, 4 to come.

Will do some sort of lightish sesh tomorrow as a single, then pad some mileage out, before a couple of turnouts, pending the long trip not knackering me like a softcore type i am :)
  • Options

That run sounds great Bus. Pete - nah just went round the course in 30 second bursts doing 30 secs hard, 15 secs walk and 15 secs jog recovery. Would have got me round in about 25 mins that way I think? Racing SG? You go steady lad.

Uneventful 12 mile run over to Luton to watch the half yesterday morning, St Albans lad Buckle won in 74.50 ish, my mate was 2nd in 77.02. My mate got £75 up and running vouchers, presume the winner got £100? All age group winners would have got £50 too (I saw the v40 winner). Yes - should have entered, god knows what the first V45 time was. Hey ho...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    ML84 said:
    Where's Ric? 
    Watching from a safe distance.

Tbh, I have a total Jeremy Kyle based rant about 'you know what' just sitting here.

Some stats: It took four days of writing, thinking, eradication and re-writes before I posted 'that post'.

I saw the future for a new born child, and it didn't look good. 

Nov 5th SG! Am I likely to be burned at the stake after being hung drawn and quartered? Crikey! all I did was make an analogy which transgressed the rules according to the god Zuckerberg.

🙂

• Options
    I'm not sure it is fair to comment on the child's future though Ric and I want to keep my balls, for one my partner went through hell in her entire pregnancy and left her family 3000 miles away to come to this country nearly dying in hospital without even her own mum to comfort her . Me and the ex (6 years ago now) sat at length and discussed the break up which included me moving out and of course paying child support and we both commit time to support our eldest whilst maintaining good connection with both families and even her partners family and now she has her own new family with a one year old.. Mia knows whose who and is extremely bright and has obviously asked the question why daddy doesn't stay at mummy's house but with proper adult talk and working together she understands in her way. It helps when we can all work together to support and give the best for the children 

Of course it's a shame parents break up with kids and not the "right way" but we've made the best of it and staying together at that time after months of trying and even having mediations we parted. 

No ones perfect ! 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Lost runner stumbles onto the Oprah Winfrey forum.

• Options
    Reg Wand said:
    Lost runner stumbles onto the Oprah Winfrey forum.

Talking of which, it appears via facebook that SG has a secret race lined up. Anyone open to a flutter to guess which one? £5 in the hat and the winner takes the pot. I'd go first but that may kill the game too quickly. 
  • Options
    ...Bound to have good prizes! Lets all enter last minute!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    My next race is maybe not as firm a bet as you think phil. Bearing in mind ive been on a certain races entry list for 3 years...without doing it!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ps welcome back ric. Thatll have to do as an apolo! :)
  • Options
    SG you seem to have a panoply of abbreviations at your disposal.

Is it Marlow?
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - you see that as an apology?

Ric -  Standard stereotyping about kids futures?...its all a bit daily mail. 

Scott - seriously, you don't have to justify yourself against such bull shit. I can see from facebook how much Mia means to you and you appear to be a superb parent.  Rise above this & stay classy.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Forgot to mention the actual running...

With a drive to Manc today and possible turnout at the weekend, didn't want anything too intense, so went for a 10 with 8 steady.

10 averaged at 6.41 pace, which with a 7.25 and 7.00 warm up saw 6.19 to 6.44 range for the 8. Working decently.
    Done until Thursday now.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dean, probably the best he's getting!
    Reg, i can confirm Marlow is on this weekend yes. I used to enjoy marshalling it, though such a long shift you felt as if you'd raced it after!
    Shame they changed the course, hate when races do that. I remember absolutely obliterating myself in 2002 (!), so much so i had to promise myself i'd get loaded up on crisps, chocs and fizzy drinks after to force me to finish.
    Didn't after. I'd conned myself.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I reckon SG's entries are Burnham Beeches 5k (which I seem to recall he won last year from an ever so strong field of juniors :) ) and Marlow 7 (which is an offshoot of their Half). As an aside surely this is a very stupid distance; just longer than a 10k but with no glory or pb scope from doing a good time as it's a non standard distance few can relate to. 

Ric; great to have you and your vast running knowledge back, but why not keep personal views on sensitive non-related subjects off here (especially when the views are controversial to put it mildly).  

Scott; agree with Dean, stand proud. You seem to be doing great. I have 2 daughters from 2 marriages; 24 and rising 12 and, despite the age gap, they get on really well and are often doing stuff together, as I'm sure your 2 will in years to come. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Are you saying i'm some sort of lesser race bottle job Pete.
    How dare you
    (whistles uncomfortably) :)

In 15 years of racing, I've never done 2 races over 2 days. There were 2x5ks over 3 days Christmas Eve/Boxing day last year, and a horrible combo of Wycombe half/Datchet 5k over 3 days about 8 years ago, but never 2 in 2. And me and hilly races are not best friends these days, if they ever were!

The Marlow course (old version) is a funny one, some severe hills, but I remember solo easy pacing it around in 1hr 31 ish once, so the downs must make up for the ups to some extent.
    Wold be an insane one to come back and kill my half marathon mental block though, unless I just 1hr 31 or slightly quickered it. But if you do that it's just having a run round while a race goes on around you. So isn't actually racing a half.

I suppose it's quite a different race now it's been re-routed, as before, you got to 12miles, and had a sweeping down to the finish.
    Now, you must reach the last down with still a mile or so to go.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not sure anyone was referring to the rules of Zuckerburg Ric, just basic common courtesy to a fellow human being at a very difficult time in their life.  Would you have said the same thing to Scott face to face at a race or in a pub? If not, then why on here? If you would, then you're a braver man than I! Scott - I can only admire your calm response, but don't feel you need to explain yourself to the likes of us! (for what it's worth though, I always get the impression you are a loving and caring father on your FB posts about your daughter).

Anyhow...running! I don't remember doing 2 days racing in a row, other then Pen Y Fan and Fan Y Big fell races last year (which damn near killed me!) but have done the Waddesdon 5k and Wycombe Half a couple of days apart back in the days when I could recover!

Double day today, and went for an easy 6 ish to the train station this morning with a fair bit of DOMS in the quads. Unfortunately I kinda lost track of time and with 3/4M to go realised I was going to miss my train if I didn't get a shift on, so had to run full pelt for the last bit - not done the quads much good!  No desire at all to do Marlow this weekend!

• Options

Pegged it for the train many a time Bus! I'm probably going to do the Masters xc in Dec at Oxford and the MK half the day after - it's so much easier running the day after a xc as it's so much easier on the legs. Doubles in the summer are easier as they are shorter, done a Watford 3000/Stevo relays 3k many a time or a the odd Bedford 5k/Stevo relays 3k

Luton tonight at the rugby club. I fear the ridge of doom will be back on again...

• Options
    Thanks guys! I know I shouldn't have to justify anything ....

I love a bet but have no idea what race he would be doing, and also don't have him on FB! 

Ran last night for first time in a few weeks, in which it was the longest run since April. Just under 5 miles but had a few stops as I ran with the local club and they were doing a hill session. Notably sore today and was very stiff towards tail end of the run but I'd say pain free in a way, still some spasms and cramping and soreness day to day. Due botox tomorrow in the ongoing follow up treatment from my arse op last year. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Doing no race is still very much a strong option..which I might take having seen the furore on fb!

Eating, then off to Manc at 2ish, so will see how ruined I feet by return late Wed!

• Options
    When I was fit and young, a weekend would be multiple track races on a Saturday and then a road race on Sunday. Track was often 400m hurdles, 5,000m and 3,000 chase. If you listen to the winners of the big events then the key is to be able to race a heat, semi and final on consecutive days and not dip.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

when I was a young 'un I used to play league football on a sat morning, car waiting for me to get me to athletics/xc meet and race that afternoon, then another match on the sunday.   I never used to think anything of it....now it would probably break me.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Straight after running my second ever 10k in Blackpool I drove straight to football and played 90 mins in a cup semi final. I ran 34.47 and we won 1-0. Not a bad days work! :-) 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stop off at Stafford services...when i was young i played a footy game that went to 30min extra time on the sat. Then raced the marlow half(6th hilliest half on a poll once) the next day.

Now i wouldnt do either ;)