Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    When I was 41 I swam 2.4 miles before breakfast, cycled 114 miles before afternoon tea and then ran a marathon before dinner. Age is no barrier.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well I have to agree with Dean that it wasn't good enough as an apology.

So I offer an grovelling apology to Scott and the mother of Lucas. I mean it. I do. I Shouldn't have said what I did. Sorry about that. 

I'm going to blame my disguised autism. 

I do wonder that if people don't want the odd disagreement, then maybe they shouldn't publish every facet of their existence on a public platform.

I can't believe the information that so many of you reveal. Some of the stuff I read I would only reveal to my probation officer or bookmaker.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Lolz ric and well done we're back as we were as scotts a good lad and im sure will say its done and dusted.

In other news set off at 2.15. Two minimal stops and im scrabbling aroud at near7 on the metro with a 7.45 kick off.

With no major hold ups where does the time disappear midweek!
  • Options
    So we've gone from the Oprah forum to what sounds like the Yorkshiremen forum..'I used to get up BEFORE I went to bed'

Anyway 5 x 1200 tonight on the grass, 3.51, 3.50,  3,50, 3.45, 3.43., great weather for running. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes SG, now again something rattles my cage.

And Man U win again:)

Did a job for an old chap yesterday. His garage was full of old Ch....a programs. I might have to reconsider that one ;)

Simon - Always impressed by the consistent discipline of your sessions. 
    Also that Ron Hill regularly nailed double figures in pints - it's in a book of his I have, 'The Long Hard Road part one'. You might have to consider an increase in that area to hit your full potential.

🙂

• Options
    Thanks Ric. 5/6 pints even of session beer is wearing me out these days. Early 90's that was a standard midweek drink at Uni..
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ric. 5/6 pints even of session beer is wearing me out these days. Early 90's that was a standard midweek drink at Uni..

Snap Simon.  Used to be a quiet Wednesday at the local.  These days, 2 pints feels a bit much.  Especially after all the heroin.
  • Options
    Dachs said:

Snap Simon.  Used to be a quiet Wednesday at the local.  These days, 2 pints feels a bit much.  Especially after all the heroin.
    I could never drink large volumes of beer: had to stick to sherry, a bottle of wine and port.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Phil, I like to imagine your uni days were a bit like the Bullingdon Club.
  • Options
    I also struggled with drinking a lot of beer, sherry never struck me as a viable alternative though.
  • Options

Mmmm, beer! One of a number of ways I am similar to Homer Simpson....

Just looking at your session Simon makes me embarrassed to post mine! I was dragged to the track by a work colleague as hadn't planned any speedwork, nor done any for a while. Thought I'd show willing though and did 3 x 1200m (no time for more, thankfully!). They have some weird barriers there that makes you run mostly in lane 3, so closer to 1245m I guess! Came out as 4:18, 4:14, 4:17. Happy enough with those I guess.

Oddly, since my Snowdon run last week, my knee pain has completely gone, and the hip pain is very mild - hope it lasts, but it seems a strange cure!

• Options
    Reg Wand said:
    I also struggled with drinking a lot of beer, sherry never struck me as a viable alternative though.
    Odd how sherry gets a bad press. Sherry and port are essentially the same, both fortified wines from the colonies ;-)  If you say you drink port nobody bats an eyelid, say you drink sherry and people imagine it is something you pass to maiden aunts. Lucky I didn't mention Old Malmsey
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Ah! Port.  On an away game at uni, the long drive back from Lancaster uni we played roulette and what ever drink you landed on was the only thing you were allowed on the coach back.  I "scored" port and until you drink a bottle of port out of a pint glass quickly you can't really claim to have a drink problem.  Hangover was severe. 
  • Options
    Any port in a storm...

Port wins over sherry anytime, just because it is much better to wash cheese down with (for most cheeses anyway!).
  • Options
    You see it is all press bias, port/sherry no difference. Same as rats versus squirrels: both filthy vermin but one is adorable and one is not. 
  • Options

Port is like thick red wine isn't it? Not bad with cheese and biccies. Sherry just tastes like shit to me..ugh.

Anyway, decent run last night. Got home put the racers on and jogged down to the local park to do the LBAC 'Stag Trophy'. Basically it's a 4km handicap race with expected times. Its a 4k, 3 lap course with at least 4 90 degree corners with two of them where you have to start and go again. I went off last as expected, but felt loads better than I thought I would, so started to go eyeballs out after the first half lap.

Pleased to end up with 12.55 - my PB from 2006 is 12.45 and it's the quickest I've done since then. Sub 13 is a bit of a holy grail for the Stag and comes out as about 16.05-10 for a 5k if you can keep that pace up..and the course is awkward. Resting up now until Mansfield on Saturday.

• Options
    Personally I don't like rats or squirrels. I've never drunk sherry, as far as I know but I assumed it was much sweeter. I've only drunk port once and that was on a night out where I had previously taken two drink choices from the 12 members of my football team and put them into an advent calendar.

I was determined to get through them all and at two the morning in some squalid night club in Reading (Afterdark to locals) I was trying in vain to get them to make some cocktail for which they had pretty much none of the ingredients and barely spoke English. Good times but I could barely break 90 minutes for a half.

• Options
    'Afterdark' We talking 'Chasers' in Slough type of place? My kind of club.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Pubs, clubs were never something I warmed to. Due to looking way younger than my years, I was still asked my age when turned 25! Annoying and embarrassing.

Something else. My comment about Scott. My missus has had a read of the posts and in her words, "While you lot are leaping about sucking each others dicks, thinking everything is now ok. Have you (me actually) been forgiven by the man you insulted?

She has way of putting things. However, she was off to have a facial job down the road at the time. Just as well, I don't want a missus getting involved with the Movember movement. Hell, it could be that she's thinking of joining the Navy. They allow 'full sets' there.

Finally running. Jog/walked 4 miles am and ran easy another 4 mils this evening. The second run was the best I've had in months.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

didn't see anyone sucking any dicks other than pretty much everyone calling you out for your post.

Good to see you back jogging again though, hopefully that will help the blood get to the brain ;)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dean, I think she thought I appeared to be forgiven a little too quickly. That's what the leaping about referred to.
     Definitely not the reaction to my original post to which she deemed I deserved a good slap!
    Needless to say she's more concerned about the mother and baby.

Christ knows what condition my brain is in. I've been concussed four times, from each side of my head. That's the back from slipping on ice, the right from a bike fall, the left from being kneed in a rugby match and the last when someone punted a basketball full in my face when wearing steel toe capped boots. Point blank range - left the dimples imprinted all over.

🙂

• Options
    Sorry Ric- the basketball dimples bit made me chuckle :)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes Simon. Such is the price of horse play. I was with some fellow apprentices at the local tech when one of our number discovered an unattended basket ball court.
    The guys who always wore their steel capped boots discovered they could toe punt a basket ball the length of the court. It became a challenge to net one.
    My own fault. I was milling about in the centre of the action watching, when, having just observed a near miss, I turned around just as another was launched. I got that one in the face from about 15 feet. Knocked me right off my feet.
    And in front of a girl.
    Needless to say I got up and pretended it was nothing. Delayed reaction, since that was the last thing I was aware of.
    Northwick Park Hospital was next door. With my usual bed.

🙂

• Options
    So it was a case of 'Ah MrF..nice to see you again!' I've done the usual array of stupid things, walking into lampposts, etc..none have landed me in hospital, thankfully.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I jumped (well, lowered) myself out of an upper floor window once.  Spent a week in hospital, with question marks over ever walking properly again.  Thought at the time that my running days were certainly over, although since I hadn't run for about 3 years at that point it didn't greatly matter.  Maybe I've mentioned this one before though, I forget.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

As I have a moment, and haven't had any exciting race reports to post for a while, I can tell you what happened.

In Bath, near the Theatre Royal, there is a little courtyard known as Seven Dials, with shops and cafes.  The main attraction is a kind of planting feature with the handprints of various luminaries who have appeared at the theatre, including Joan Collins, Peter Ustinov and Edward Fox.  On the upper floors were the offices of a publishing company known for their range of magazines beginning with 'Total' - 'Total Football', 'Total Film' etc, plus more cross stitch magazines that one could imagines that there would possibly be a market for.  I was working in that building as a night security guard during university holidays.

Within the building was a stairwell, with a keycode to get back into any of the floors.  Due to being something of a dishevelled outfit, no-one in our security company actually knew the code to get back into the rest of the building.  The trick was to jam a piece of paper into the door to prevent it locking.  Unfortunately, my piece of paper fell out, which left me trapped in the stairwell.  The fire door at the bottom of the stairs was locked, and I had no key.  The lower floor window was painted shut.  The only possible way out was this upper floor window, equivalent to about floor 1.5.  See photo at bottom.

So I decided that it would be a grand old idea to lower myself out of the window, dangle from the ledge and drop.  Not that far I reckoned.  In my mind, I pictured myself doing some kind of parachute roll, jumping to my feet and maybe finishing off with sticking my arms in the air like a gymnast.  Not how it turned out.  Instead, I fell down, landed on my feet, it all jarred up my body and I fell over in agony.

A passerby watched dispassionately.  "Nice jump" he said.  "Thanks", I said.  "Can you help me?"  Silently he walked off. Gingerly, and leaning at a jaunty angle I made my way back into the building (I knew the key code from outside, you see), and phoned my bosses, who in turn called an ambulance.

From there I spent a week lying on my back in hospital with a fractured heel (not too bad) and a compressed spine (yeah, that one wasn't so great).  It was a dull week, enlivened only by watching Wimbledon and urinating in a special container.  Then it was onto crutches, and I was able to attend my graduation on crutches a few weeks later.  "What happened to you?" asked the Vice Chancellor as he handed me my certificate.  "Fell out of a window" I said, and hobbled away.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds the sort of thing a company would be paying a lot of compensation out for these days!
    Which genius thought a delicately balanced piece of paper was some sort of safety measure! Deary me!
  • Options

Nice story Dachs. Does seem very out of character though...always the quiet ones eh... Getting images of me trying to persuade you that jumping off that bridge into the river in Derry wouldn't be 'a bit of a laugh' ;)

• Options
    Dachs, were you trying to jump through that big red hoop?

Had a bit of a break post marathon but plodded out 9 miles this morning, time to get back into it now.

• Options
    I'm not so sure Ric. What was said was just plain ridiculous and uncalled for when no one here can claim to have a perfect set up at home, as I say some things just don't work out and I at least pride myself on doing what I can for her and also moving on. I don't like playing the what if card but what if something had happened to him? You're calling for me to be castrated when potentially I faced being without one of them? 

As an open forum some of us reveal much more than others but we are all here for different reasons, not just when the running gets tough but finding comfort just chatting. There's also plenty we don't reveal and the struggle I had in those 2 weeks balancing working 80 hours a week and not being able to hold my boy at times being in intensive care is not nice to swallow when all I want is a nice future

I won't be holding any bad feelings Ric but I hope never to read something like that again in the midst of what was going on. 

On a lighter note I had more botox treatment on Wednesday! 18 months post op and still facing pain. 

Not even sure when I will be out trying to run again, it keeps fading away 

Pain is weakness leaving the body