Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep definitely MM, probably makes sense for me to try them out before I buy into them!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ooh tight quads today!

3mile recovery jog at lunch will hopefully ease thigns with some good smearings of deep heat

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

DOMS! I've only ever had this about 2 or 3 times before...normally in the calves after a particularly hilly course, in the quads today. I think  I read somewhere DOMS doesn't happen if you prepare and recover properly...must have been the lack of decent stretching after...

Hopefully will be at least competitive at the 5k tomorrow if not at top pace!

Football tournament for saturday has been cancelled now, which is probably good news, so think I'll rest wed to fri, and do a 5miler easy sat, and then over to Moraghan for my next training block...building to the Sep 10k

• Options
    stevie g what is doms! thanks
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh the old delayed onset muscle soreness!

I've only ever had it after fairly hilly races, but you can get it i believe if you don't do some of the basics...warm up, cool down stretching etc

• Options
    so Stevie are you like me a runner who used to play football who still yearns to play sometimes
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

haha yeah probably a bit Sawney. That's why i was a little disappointed about the footy tournament saturday being called off. I treat it like a guilty pleasure...but you know you can't steam around in challenges though.

I played 3-4 times a week years ago..but pretty much quit a year or 2 back...as the onky way I'm going to break into some good times is to really fuel 100% into it.

Find it hard to train all week and not have a competitive element on a weekend though...that's why i like to race a lot...

• Options

Well I'm lucky, my sporting background is swimming, which has lots of similiarities to running, in that it is very PB / goal orientated. Football is usually about winning, but also a bit of banter with mates.

Growing up I struggled with co-ordination, spacial awareness etc, so as hard as I tried, I was crap football haha.  On the very rare ocassion I do play, I get big problems with DOMS, my muscles just cannot deal with that kind of twisting and turning!!!

A great session tonight. 6x1km off 2mins active rest

3m09, 2m55, 3m11, 3m13, 3m13, 3m16.

Other than a slightly dubious second rep, a good session. DOMS tomorrow? Quite probable image

• Options
    aye football was my first love and i used to play at a reasonable standard, Surrey Saturday Leagues then Northern Alliance, Stevie do you do any gym work, ie core or kettlebells,
    open question to the others too
  • Options
    I would love to do more core / gym work. Maybe 1 every two weeks? Running drills once a week, makes for a nice recovery run. I think it is very beneficial, started doing drills and core (although not that much) since having some mild ITB problems and have felt fantastic since. How about you?
  • Options
    had a niggly calf so went into the gym twice a week and did a core session, coupled with messing about with an 8kg kettlebell, i am 6'4" and 12 st tops so it might help me, defo feel better stronger and faster on the track, do drills about once a week as well
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i sometimes do some planks or other such things, but then ache severely for days after after a light session.

some light weights ad hoc as well or some sit ups on a big ball! But as you can tell from that lot it's pretty unstructured!

slightly elss DOMSy quad today, will deep heat to the full extent of the law, and try and do well tonight, but otherwise I just have to finish to win my club's 5k championship!

Going forward I won't be obligated to my club's schedule so defintiely won't be racing 2 5ks and a half in one 8 day spell again!

• Options
    mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

As i write this you are almost finishing your warm up SG! Let us know how you get on.

Two bike sessions today, up into the chilterns this morning at 5:50, it was a stunning morning, then 45 mins of hill repeats tonight.

In regards to weights and gym work, i have done for the last three or four years, two weights sessions and one core session a week, i know the weights do not really help my running in speed or endurance but apart from a little tendonitis i have never been injured and swear thats part of it. Also im a bit vain in that i like my six pack when im on the beach! image

• Options
    another question as we all seem to be around the same standard, how many rest days do people take prior to a race, do you do some weights or core on your rest day or Zilch.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Think Harry is a bit faster SB, and you've logged some faster stuff than me to date over some distance image.

I used to rest before a 10k or half, but now do a light easy pace session the day before.

5K tonight went pretty well to be honest with the half done on sunday and left leg quads being so severely sore I was limping! However, some magic deep heat and a faster than normal warm up mile with a fast guy helped...even if i did bin off the strides this time...

17:34-17:36 is how it comes out, which I'm pleased with as this course is always a bit of a drag, so slightly quicker than the Wycombe one...and 5th place I believe.

Splits started off at 3:15, before a 3:30 and then a couple slower and just about clawing it back at the end...but I thought I might have had a drop off after the last 2 days but not to be!

Even beat a local legend tonight, although to be fair he's had a bad time with injury for months and was making a comeback...still in 18mins or so though!!

ps Mee Meep...that's certainly one way you're better than me...as an ex girlfriend charmingly told me once i have "no definition whatsoever" image. I'm definitely the classic hard gainer ectomorph!

going to rest now for 2-3 days, let the muscle soreness subside and refresh for hopefully a good 2month period of big training to get the 10k time down to a respectable level!

• Options
    doing a 5k tomorrow night so will let you know how i get on, Sawney Bean
  • Options
    mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Have you got your next two months training SG? Will there be a increase in mileage or see how much improvement there will be at the current mileage? Will you be doing a late season half?

Congratulations on winning your club championship! Now to have a crack at Maidenheads! image

Was having a look at some of the local races and they really do have some quality runners, lets hope i can get pulled along a bit!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

haha, don't think Maidenhead have one, which is good, as it can be a bind on your year if you have to do certain races. And yes they have some quality runners...3 of the 4 who beat me yesterday were Maidenhead, and this is before you add in a guy who's done a 1hr 14 half, and a couple of other guys of quality. That's why if Harry, myself and  you did the sunday cross country sunday league along with a bunch of those guys we'd be competing for winning it! Just going to read the rules to see if mid series club swaps are permitted as can't leave my club before end of Dec!

Think Mr M is still in exotic climes, so I'm taking his advice of  3 days rest from running, and on saturday will do a 5miler, then hopefully a new schedule. I'll do as much as possible, but probably it will build slow and peak at 60-70.

I'll concentrate on thrashing my 10k down first, want to get in the 35 somethings, hopefully at Dorney in  late Sep, and then October maybe the 10miler Cabbage Patch to try and take 49seconds off my pb to go sub 1hour!!

After that some enjoyable cross country fare Nov to end of Jan!  I bet you're keeping one eye on races, but knowing patience is the key for now!

• Options
    didnt run well in the 5k toinght, nearly 30 secs slower than last year,17.35, tired after 10k on sunday, last mile split was 6.00, ddidnt have the usual sprint finish, back to the drawing board, and NOT doing 2 races in 4 days again Never EVER
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not to worry Sawney B, similar to my race last night. was yours a road race though? mine i knew wouldn't be a top time due to the course, but if yours was road must have beena slight downer.

are you going to build to individual events in future?

• Options
    mine was on tarmac in a park, with a downhill start but tight paths and a platton of little shits running after you on the downward. I am usually a strong finisher in the last mile but just could not be bothered, back to the drawing board,

what do you mean by individual events?
    ps I face booked you!!
    i think!!!
  • Options
    beany bbeany b ✭✭✭

Hi

I Have been lurking on this forum every now and again,some good training/racing/etc going on.

SG Just wondered ,why the high mileage of 60/70 miles a week when not training for a marathon?

Sawney Bean what sort of mileage do you do?

Harry J what about your mileage when you are not specifically training for a marathon and what mileage are you doing whilst in training for your marathon now?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah Sawney Bean, wondered who the random requester was! I'm afraid I only add people I've not met if they're ladies!

Hi Beany B...bearing in mind the top 10k people in the country probably do 100miles a week, it's certain that the more mileage you do the better. Once you add in quality as well, you're doing the best you can to get your best times.

Of course others will do faster times than I do off way less training, but each to their own...some higher mileage some lower and harder intervals. I'd probably find if I tailed it off a bit mileage wise I'd keep a fair amount of the pace!

• Options
    beany bbeany b ✭✭✭

Fully understand SG,in the process of upping my mileage very slowly and working on my pace,i know its a while off yet but this is in preperation for London Marathon next year.

Hoping to get a real respectable time,will be the first flattish marathon i have done so really looking forward to it.

Still wont be doing a 100 miles a week though,i dont think!!!!????

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fair do s Beany. What kind of times do you do?

Think 100 a week is definely the fare of semi pros or pros!

I think peaking on 70 miles a week is probably mroe than enough, as long as it fits the right sessions in.

• Options
    beany bbeany b ✭✭✭

Sub 3 marathons,(2.58 pb) Half 79 mins,10 Mile 1hr 10seconds(gutted)ha.10k 36.43 and 5k 17.10.

I have Moraghan helping me so i am definitely going to be fitting in the right sessions,i have only been having  his guidance for a month and already i can feel the benefits of his training methods.

I have been running for 2 years now,only thing not on my side is my age,(vet 40),still improving though so dont feel that is a barrier and my recovery is good,so no worries on that score either.

Like you i want to get my 10k time down,although i did that time last week on a quite hilly course and get a sub 1hour ,10 miler.

I think going on your 5ks lately a good 10k is around the corner for you!!! 

• Options
    What sort of mileage do you do beany b?
  • Options
    beany bbeany b ✭✭✭

ALD I currently average around 55 miles a week,aiming to be comfortably doing 60/70 before i start my marathon training.

• Options
    About the same as me then (and stevie by the looks of it). You seem to have a good range of decent times there, have you set up your training to peak for those events or are they more a reflection of your continued improvement without specifying a race distance? Or put another less confusing way, did you try and get a quick 5km and then a half for example or were both off a similar type of training? Excellent times in 2 years btw, again I'm very similar to you.
  • Options
    sorry for hyjacking stevie image we're all rumbling along the same sort of trainng paces and race time etc so just interesting to see how everyone is going about getting there.