Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    I see the London 10 mile was yesterday. Interesting to contrast and compare

London 10 mile, 2069 finishers, 7 under the hour £44 to enter.
    Maidenhead 10 mile, 1239 finishers, 68 under the hour, £20 to enter.

Slow, rich w**kers.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs - we went from knowing we must have seen off Phoenix and winning it, to someone mentioning they'd seen 3 Reading vests at the front, consulting of results and back and forths :)

Comedy moment was when they announced the "first athletic team" as Reading...to our hearts sinking, then realising it was the women!

They did our prize last, even after company prize. Can't even remember if there was the "prize that matters", the Social Team one, me Bus and Phil won 5 years ago.

Bus, that's an incredible photo! Truly incredible!

Dachs- a 15 is always a tidy run. It's funny how you can go from a long run feeling easy compared to racing a half, to other days just the long run feels a slog.

Potentially Wargrave 5k tomorrow night. Might do it, might not. Bit close to a Thur relay and yesterday, but we'll see.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Philip - you are getting grouchier in your old age :smile:

It's the flies that keep me going Dachs!

SG - it is that. The photographer really captured the moment - just bloody hope it doesn't make the BFP!
  • Options

Dachs - please leave Ben alone, he's got red and black going though his veins ;)

Actually the EA registration is making it harder for you to enter events for a 2nd claim club, bit annoying, like when I was entered into the MK Half as Herne Hill rather than LBAC - LBAC might have won the team prize (even though the prizes are crap!)

Nice day out at the coast yesterday to my dad's 70th - although I had to run from before the pier to the train station (after 6 pints) and I've given myself two annoying rashes off my jeans around the waistband area. Sakes

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - that's probably good with the "forced" 1st claim thing.

The whole thing is a minefield. From experience, the only legitimate racing use of 2nd claim seems to be to run in closed leagues, where the 1st claim club doesn't compete.
    The other use just being "part" of a club and training / keeping in touch with them.

Even standard road races that aren't leagues or relays seem to call for 1st claim, even though you won't see many road races that implicitly quote you must be 1st claim in their terms.

I remember that stress after the Wycombe 10k that year, leading Marlow home, to find some douche (from my own club!!) had reported me as being 2nd claim

Just felt a similar stress, after the winner of our fantasy footy league was quibbling the £15 deduction to his £200 winnings to have the trophy engraved!
    Has woken me up for tonight's 5k though, almost fell asleep earlier!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You have a trophy for a fantasy football league  :D

Nice racing at Marlow. I cycled past the Wargrave 5k route this afternoon, wondered if you'd be putting an appearance in.

Half-decent run still Pete.

I am half-way though a month off and I expected to be doing a lot more training than before. As it turns out I am doing a similar amount but it's a lot more enjoyable and of a better quality.

Still knocking out 30 mpw running but nothing of note, mostly just easy running.

Cycling is a bit more interesting. I popped along to the local cycling cafe in Wargrave, hence seeing the 5k route and had a go at their challenge. It's a 10 mile route looping back to the cafe with a decent enough hill near the end. There's a Top Gear style board in the cafe and I managed to get in 3rd place, averaging 24mph. This is on a standard road bike, non of the fancy aero stuff is allowed.

Cycling is a lot more sociable when you're actually partaking in the activity. Afterwards, who knows, I guess it's more to do with the actual club.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I generally cycle by myself, but then I am Nobby-no-mates! Should get out more with other people though, but just never seem to be able to organise it. Good speed that.

Nice work at Wargrave SG, especially after 3 races in quick succession.

Double off-road hills for me yesterday (for a change!). First one was very slow, but the evening was a bit quicker, with the last half mile at full beans racing my son, who I bumped into on the way back. He is much quicker than me over short distances! Hip and back actually seem reasonably OK at the moment (touch wood). Still got this damn cough though! Forgot to say - despite being slow and shite on Saturday I was first finisher! Actually quite pleased with that, as I ran a tactical race with the second place guy. I let him overtake a couple of times, before putting in a bit of a spurt and putting some distance between us in the last k, letting him think I could sustain it.  He probably had the last laugh with my finish line vomit though!

Bit windy today!

• Options
    The Bus said:
    Some absolutely cracking racing and sessions going on here (as usual!), but specific congrats to SG and Pete for today's efforts. Life has been hectic the past couple of weeks, hence no posting lately. This photo sums up how my running is going at the moment!!!!!

but you were first finisher so, by definition, everyone behind you looked even worse.
  • Options
    Work has signed up to one of these corporate get fit schemes (www.countit.com) and has league tables of how many steps people do on average per day. Seeing how as I now work for Siemens with over 300k employees I guessed I wouldn't be top of the league but had no idea how far off I'd be. I do about 40 miles a week and a mile counts for 2,000 steps so about 11.4k steps a day or 114 points. The leaders are on 347 points so 3x as many steps (so I'd have to run about 17 miles a day or 120 miles a week) to be on par. 

One guy cycled 213 miles last Saturday for 1,258 points (impressive) but also logged an extra 306 points for walking or running (over 15 miles) or had his phone in his back pocket as he cycled :-(  

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg - our work fantasy footy league is high profile - 78 people, and thus a £780 pot. It's one our finest traditions, we don't mess about.

Phil - sounds like cyclists have a massive advantage in that system then, as no sane runner is doing 120 miles a week at amateur level!

As Bus mentioned, I did Wargrave 5k last night, and as we haven't had a race report from me for a whole 2 days I'll get one cranked up...
    now
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    First 5k race in the closed club series last night then, at Wargrave.

Back in Marlow days, you used to have to do all 5 (marshalled the 6th), if you wanted to compete in their champ, as even missing one would stop you featuring in the placings. ( I vividly remember a young girl winning 4 of the women's races, not turning up at the 5th, and thus not making top 3 in the club presentation evening - ludicrous!)

Therefore, in 2006,2008,2009 and 2010, I did all 5 - a fair chunk of 20 races.

In the next 7 years I'd turned out at a mere 5! Two of these were last year with Datchet, as i'd at least re-joined a team who are part of the league, rather than popping in as a "soldier of fortune".
    I'd last done Wargrave in 2013, when I was at my peak performance mode, having hit a 27.44 at Marlow 5 2 days before, and ended with a 17.09

Even though I'd raced the relay on Thursday and Marlow 5 on Sunday, and I'm not normally a fan of stacking the races up, I knew that I needed to get in for the first one, to set the scene. Otherwise, if you miss one, you can then think about missing the next one, and so on.

It was also important to get the first 5k of the spring/summer in, as you need a few to maximise, and I want to make it worthwhile going to a south coast/ Battersea/Hyde Park fast one in due course.

So despite, spending half of Tuesday feeling drowsy and knackered, I was determined to get there and see what would come out. Matching Sunday's 5k split would still be a 17.30 which on an undulating course wouldn't be a disaster - so nothing to lose.

Arriving with 45mins to go, it was like old times, greeted by a couple of Wargrave pals. Plenty of rivals and pals from the past were there too, as well as a good gang of the Datchet lot. Chris B was there, which I was pleased with, as he's a good marker of where you need to be in and around.
    Ben Livesey, back in these parts again, added some star material - a guy who would thrash even the big timers on this thread - elite top 50 London marathon type fare -and a top guy without any sort of arrogance (unlike some of you lot, just kidding ;) )

Warm up with Chris B, who apologised that the "off road" secret route he'd picked was a horrible mix of rutted hard mud that just screamed for turning an ankle :) He explained when he'd said how my pbs are modest for my training, he was meaning it in an encouraging way! (A bit upset i'd smashed a segment too ;) )

Thought I saw an old footy pal in a Maidenhead vest, went over and chatted, before it slowly dawned on me it wasn't him at all, as he pretended to recognise me too, before we quickly realised the embarrassment and parted quick smartish!

Start line then, usual "what are we doing here", "I don't fancy this" disclaimers, and we're off.

Ben L of course leads us off (sub 15 pb), but it's one hell of a cavalry charge. I've gone off reasonably.
    I know Richard at Wargrave will be up there, and a guy in some random top, maybe a vest will be too.
    But after that, I have no idea.

Mad Dom from Handy Cross, who shouldn't even be here, post marathon ruining injury, has stormed off like it's a 200metre race AGAIN! I don't think I've ever raced him where he hasn't led me for the first 200metres.

Whole gaggle of runners in and around. I've gone from thinking that I'll be "right up there", to wondering if top 10 might be a result today! You never know who is new on the scene, or when you'll drop out of the mix.

First km has a slight up, settles than down, so that inevitably comes out way quicker than the rest.
    3.19 job today. Am sure I've done this sharper in the past, but the past isn't relevant
    There's 4 comfortably ahead, a couple around me, and Chris B and I presume a gaggle of guys right behind. Every so often I hear Chris casually saying the odd thing!

Next km settles to a flatter setting, so we're easing down to 3.27 here. With a sting in the tail late on, this will probably be a good indication of what the average pace will be in and around.

KM 3 backs this up with a 3.30. A guy ahead has stopped to do his laces up, and while he's got back ahead, the effort of that has clearly taken a bit too much out of him. Doing the laces up on a road course struck me as a bit of a mistake, it's not like the XC where you can easily get caught on something.
    There's a couple of very heavy breathers around me now, I have no idea if they'll be able to keep that effort level going later on.

After we pass the 3rd km, I'm keeping aware to remember what the "Hill" is. The incline is supposed to be about a mile, so we'll see.
    Chris B has slotted up alongside, without a word, barely sounding like he's even breathing at all. Sounds comfy. With his hill finesse I'm expecting him to pull away at some stage.

Top 3 then are well ahead, probably have a gang of 3 around me, as we moving through the 4th km. I make a move through to be level with Chris and we push on a little.
    I'm then amazed he just absolutely drops off. I keep working on, and hit the 4km barrier at 3.46

I know from here, that if I can make the peak in the current position of 4th, no-one will be having me on the downhill finish.

From being in a crowd scene, it's completely opened up for me, as I suspect a lot of guys have pushed too hard early doors, and been taken aback by the hill. I didn't find it too hard, but maybe this early in the 5ks I wasn't smashing myself.

To the top, can't hear anything round me, glorious left, and a magnificent glory run into the finish for a 3.24 final km.
    4th place, 17.27ish, that will do in the circumstances of the back to back races and a marker for more 5ks. Probably more the pace I'd like to see in a 5miler/10k than a 5k, but the undulations may be some alibi

Have done this race in 17.09 5 years ago, and done a couple of 1721/1722s before that, so a bit down on those, but those were the "pre" any issues days, and also in fairness came from a more effective build up of races.

So 10 races in 2018, we'll see what's next.

Cookham 5k which i've never done is next Tue, but is an offroader, so may save it for the club relay 4x4km on that Sunday after.
    They've stacked 5 5ks over 6 weeks, so doing them all doesn't sound sensible.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice run/report SG. Incidentally I know the guy that was doing his laces up, he works in the cafe I was mentioning and is training for triathlon, he's more of a cyclist but seems to be running well too.

Rookie mistake he called it.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Triathletes can't resist doing something with their clothing in the middle of an event.  Force of habit.

Sounds like a decent race effort SG, particularly a couple of days after a 5-miler.  It's all go with you at the moment.  Lots of race reports, which is good, but can't recall a recent use of the term 'monstered'.  Sort it out.

Bus, nice first finishing/technicolour yawn combo.

Reg, no idea they had a cycling café in Wargrave.  I never go to Wargrave since Paul Daniels died and there is no longer any chance of seeing him accidentally maim himself with a chainsaw.

Simon, he hasn't ruled it out...

So, bit of a quandary for me.  Been picked for the England V40 team at the Chester marathon in October.  I'd kind of forgotten that I'd put myself in contention to be honest.  It's 3 weeks after the World Masters, which I have now entered, so really I won't have a chance to do proper marathon training other than maybe the odd 20, but since I would expect to do 80-90mpw even in 5K training, it's not as if I would be unfit. Do I do it off non-specific training, accepting it'll be a little sub-optimal and that I might need to build in some recovery afterwards?  You don't get many opportunities to put on an international vest.  I'm particularly interested in your thoughts Simon, as you essentially did Berlin without a massively marathon-focussed build-up, and presumably tried to keep racing shorter stuff afterwards.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Don't forget poor old Debbie Mcgee, why did she marry millionaire Paul Daniels again?

I've never done a marathon off a proper build up so I'd be very much in the if you're fit it will be fine camp.

Did some little 5k efforts this morning but I'm feeling a bit tired so just a swim this afternoon. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You mean "The Lovely" Debbie McGee AG? Been past her house kayaking and saw her in the garden once. Nice place. When its not under water! As for why she married Paul Daniels - she liked him. Not a lot...

Cracking report SG.

Dachs - no quandary. Run Chester with an England vest on!!! Even after sub-optimal training, you'll still get the extra pace given by running for your country!

Canal run at lunch, whihc is a bit mixed terrain but all flat. Added in a bit of speedwork -2x0.5M @ 5:55, 5:48, 1M @ 5:52, 1M @MP, 0.25M @ 5:31 0.25M @ 5:41, mostly off 90 sec at slow/steady pace . No vomiting, so happy enough with that. 
  • Options

Great report SG - Dachs - I'd go for it, my learning from Berlin was just get the miles banked - my last really long run was 4 weeks before Berlin. Especially as you have proper marathon pedigree it won't be a problem. My mate Pete from LBAC is doing Chester too (after Berlin!).

What have you entered in Malaga? 5,000? I'll probably just do the 1500 as it's over one weekend in mid Sept. Just me this time I think

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Easy for some of us to say Dachs, but obviously you go and do the marathon. Doing those insane miles means you can fairly easily adjust it, just with a couple of 20s chucked in.

On the other end of the scale today, I'll be doing jack all. Bit tight, so having an old fashioned Thursday rest day like the peak of the Moz training days.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers all.  Guess I will probably have a crack at Chester then...

Simon, I've entered the 5000 and half marathon.  The 5000 is the serious event that will be the focus of my training.  The half marathon is just something I want to do so that I haven't travelled 800 miles to run for 15 minutes.  It comes about 3 days after the 5000 so there shouldn't be a recovery issue.  Thought about the 10K, but it's before the 5000 and would mean I wasn't recovered in time.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Dachs - focus on malaga, ignore the marathon specific training....dont get caught between 2 otherwise you wont be your best at either.   Train specifically for the 5000 but still run chester even if it means you will be slightly down on times at the mara.
  • Options

Sounds sensible Dachs, Dean is right too about just focusing on the 5000. The 1500 is just the sensible choice for me so I can have a little 3/4 day break and hammer some short stuff leading up to it, to see if that makes any difference.

Probably not..but you have to try I suppose ;)

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yes, was never going to compromise 5000m training.  That's the main event.
  • Options

Good stuff Dachs.

Track last night  - 16 x 300, as IK was only doing 12 prior to Highgate tomorrow. We think they might have been slightly short, as we are always in lane 2. Averaged 47 off about 60 secs recovery, got the last 2 down to 46 and 43. So might have to add a second or two on those. Felt OK, looking forward to giving the first 1500 of the season a good crack at Wimbledon on Sunday.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Who is in lane 1 out of interest Simon? Or is it "encouraged" not to use it?

Those sound ferocious pace if those are full 300 (although I always take time to work out where 300 is in lane 1, let alone finding it in lane 2 :)  )

To put your paces in context, while i'm no track superstar, I'm not exactly slow, and when I do 300s on my plan, I'll only do 6x300 at the top zone pace and keen first rep pace is 48, fading down to 51. That's with longer recoveries.

If you can do 16 at 47, that'd most likely mean if you did my session above you could probably get all of them between 43-45

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice reps Simon, short or not. Is this that night of the PBs (Highgate) thing I saw advertised, think it was on BBC red button?

Didn't run yesterday but I did fit a power meter to my bike. I took that for a whirl which was fun and gives me more numbers to play with. Unlike running power is a really good metric due to the way your pace varies so much on a bike due to wind, hills etc. It's quite revealing how much you ease off on downhills for example, explains why indoor training can be so hard and effective.

Back to running this morning and I felt a bit fresher, conditions were lovely so I decided to do 9 miles or so and throw in some quality. As is my way, I decided the exact session during the first mile. I toyed with the idea of LT intervals of 12,10 & 8 minutes but decided to keep things short and build up to longer tempo efforts.

So 4 x 1 mile it was. First one came out at 5:41, I was reasonably happy with that, ran 4 min 30 second recoveries @ 7:30 pace, to get the HR down. Second one was 5:23, so that's a bit of a difference. I did wonder if it was a bit downhill/tailwind so I continued on running half the recovery and turned around to repeat it in the opposite direction, 5:26 so not much different and a 5:27 to finish. 

Those must be the fastest mile reps I've done on the road by a fair margin.

• Options

Good efforts there too Reg - a lot harder on the road than the track so they are some good times. Yes the Highgate is the 10,000 thing, I believe Dachs might be going to watch. IK is on at 5.15 and Ryan B 4.30 I think. Vinco will have the whole thing, don't think BBC are doing it all. some of my training group are going for a semi piss up!

SG - Lane 1 is always coned off at Luton. Nice to do  proper speed session, looks like I may be doing an 800 now, not a 1500..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg - tidy reps. The game now is getting reps close to that off much shorter recoveries!

Simon - probably makes sense on busy tracks, as otherwise lane 1 would get 90% of the traffic and wear into oblivion.

Talking of tracks, it's amazing how hard it can be to get a company to take your money.
    Marlow track organisers took a month of me barracking them about paying last year, then giving up, thinking if they're not bothered, i'm not, getting a vaguely threatening email from the manager, and having to swoop down there in my lunchhour to pay in cash as they were too luddite to have an account to pay in.

Now they've changed management (from May 1st) . New guy (on email) still can't confirm when my membership runs out, as they "don't have the records", yet can't  guarantee me my pass won't expire and leave me locked in! (Gated entry, and no-one on site now).
    Said get in touch with the "old" lot, even though there is no old lot, as the management have left

and erm...it's lucky races and recovery have meant I haven't been for a bit....

Might leave the car outside the place if they haven't resolved it for next time!

• Options
    The BBC will be broadcasting both the men's and women's A races from Parliament Hill athletics track.

Saturday, 19 May

Athletics - Night of the 10,000m PBs

20:20-22:30 BST - Connected TV and online

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/athletics/44144466
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Quality management at Marlow then SG!

Very fast 300s Simon - most impressive, and likewise with those mile reps Reg!!!

Day off today. I was in town last night to see the Musical "Hamilton". It was a really good show, but meant I missed my second run of the day and didn't get to bed until 12.30 (some 2.5 hours after my bedtime!).

Possible parkrun tomorrow, which allegedly will involve beer afterwards I hear!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SG Nice work on the 5k , building towards so good form.
    SC very nice mile reps and good luck on the 800.
    reg, nice speed up and hold on the mile reps but as SG says the recoveries Could do with a trim!
    bus - my daughter is obsessed with Hamilton. We have tickets coming up and all I hear in the house is the Hamilton soundtrack blasting out of Alexa. 

christleton 5k tonight. Pan flat and fast. Basically plan was to hold sub 5min pace all the way round.  First mile I try not to go off too fast but see 4.43 pace. So I slow it up and go through 1k bang on 3mins.   Hit the mile in 4.58.  I'm in a good group...and I know some them and know they will keep a strong pace up.  So I tuck in and just run.  2nd mile in 5.02. Ok, no drama just hold as much as possible. I drop the group I'm in and move onto the back of the next.  Working hard I realise the pace is sub 5 again. Hit 4K and I feel good so push on,   3 mile was 4.59.  Into the last few hundred metres and I'm passing a lot of people.  Chap ahead has a gap but it looks a bit much, until I hear a shout....from my coach!  Go on Matt .  I now realise it's a local rival and chase.  Last 50m and I'm flying. I get his shoulder and  I kick again and overtake.  
    Crossing the line in 15.38.  14th overall and 2nd v45. Which also makes me 2nd v45 in uk rankings too.   Technically another pb since they wrote off my fastest time a few years ago due to the course being 9m short. 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice one Dean! 14th in 15:38 and 2nd V45 shows a bloody high quality field! Good to see a PB too, even on a technicality :smile:

parkrun number 48 today. Nice day for it. Marginally quicker than last week to come in just under 19 - still nearly a minute down on where I want to be - and 4th. Consolation prize was beating local boy Gaz by a few seconds having overtaken him with 1k to go :smile:. He was getting his excuses in thick and fast having done 17:30 on this course, but all of his whinges were countered by me having the same issue!!!  Quick chat with the old boys club after then a warm down with Mr Jones...