Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

So this is in about 2001 - I live just beyond those houses. the inner 4 lanes were tarmacked and now there are 'exercise stations' around the inside, zip wire and all that jazz. So its completely open. Quite cool to have it over the road, but often too busy to use. Used it loads in the rain when there's no one about..

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That's a bit weird.  I had visions of dog walkers twatting around on a proper synthetic track, which would just be infuriating.  As it's incorporated into the park, I can see why they would do that, although (assuming I'm looking at the right place on Google maps), there seems to be plenty of recreation ground beyond it.

That does seem quite a cool facility.

• Options

Yeah few more pics on here.

http://www.runtrackdir.com/details.asp?track=leightonbuzzard

One of those where the reality isn't quite as good as it sounds - but it's nice to have very close to your house. Hence why the dog walkers are so infuriating - there's loads of open space around it - but they just walk round the track, especially when it's not even muddy on the grass. It's the usual lot - white trainers/greyed up/silly fashion dog.

440 yard track too - 402.36 metres. Always good to be over distance.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I'm imagining someone putting a shot from the shot put circle and it maiming a dog walker.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Inner lanes filled in, meaning you don't have the lane we all ideally do our reps in?

Optimistic chap on Monday reckoned 3 laps in the outer lane of the track was the same as 4miles :)
    Haven't seen sillier since Jock Itch let his garmin take mile splits, and straight faced claimed them as reps!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    4 miles?!  or 4 laps?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    that'd be even sillier. ahem, 4 laps
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice to have that on your doorstep SC. I thought they'd thrown a housing development up in Iten at first glance. 

SG, what about the Manchester half early October I think. Pretty well stacked at the sub 75 mark if I recall. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Matt, worth a look, but I feel I need to race shorter up north first. Also the 14th has a few options down this way.

BUT.... after a fair while trying to combine stuff with my United games (either a race, or getting a game in at Class of 92 run Salford, I've noticed there's a very intriguing possible triple header on Mon Aug 27th!

We're talking a one off ever, stars have aligned job!

1. Podium 5k B race 11am
    2. Salford City game 3pm
    3. Man Utd v Tottenham 8pm

I can't quite believe the three look to fit so easily in, with  a good 3 hours in between each. Not to mention the driving not being on the race day, and being a morning race.

All I'd need to do is drive up on the Sunday, and stay over the extra night (already staying up there on Monday night)

Will get through Battersea Park and Welsh mountain miles over this next week, but give that a serious look.

Can you make it? Aley? Dean?

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I'm up for playing for Salford, SG! Shame they don't do bank holiday parkruns as well. 

LFoM in Hyde Park tomorrow, anyone? Could be warm! And if the forecast is correct, very wet. Bought the train tickets ten weeks or so ago; am pleased to say, in one way, that I won't be racing. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Come along for the Salford game if you fancy Aley! I'd be doing some class of 92 legends spotting, but promise to actually watch the game as well :)

That LFOTM, they change the route June - December don't they - a 2 lapper? A shame, as the single lap Jan - May one has to be the quickest?

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Think it is usually only November, December and July for the two lap course but will ask tomorrow. I would agree that the one lap course is quicker but not much in it. I ran exactly the same time on both courses last year! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's a proper track review by a grade A anorak, even offers some gardening advice!

"The track is prone to weeds and a strong weed killer is needed to keep them at bay."

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The track at Ruislip used to look like that until it was tarmacked over.

As for the in-field being for throwing and jumping events. Lets not get too carried away.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    6x300 today, which felt perfect - the shortest session , but a good burn in fairly high temps.
    Usual bit of doubt where the actual 300m line is (unmarked, and a couple of options!) but i expect at least 5 of the 6 were the full dist...i notice the readings were 0.19m for 5, and 0.18m for the other..
    49x4, 50 and 51...so whether one was short or whatever, the purpose was there. Couple of mile races up next, so fits in.
  • Options

Ha ha - Yes Reg, great track website though and a nice record of our estate being built!

Yes SG, well spotted - the OUTSIDE 4 lanes were tarmaced, not the inside 4. So I timed it well last night, pretty quiet over there, annoyingly it had got pretty windy, as well as hot. obviously the 12 x 400 off 80 doing 64's was never really on, but I managed to average 67's. With the conditions etc, pretty happy with that.

Good luck Aley - probably stay dry, looks like the shower warnings have shifted north a bit.

• Options
    My god its quiet here, unless the iPad isn't updating properly. So another trip to Oxford yesterday, usual routine, train to MK, catch the X5 to Oxford. Never seen so many Japanese/Chinese/American tourists in one place, unreal. Lovely place though, so many great pubs and bars/cafes etc, no wonder it's so expensive. So got to the Iffley red track to register and saw that there were already races going on, getting me worried that I had got the times wrong. I hadn't, but the early races were the 'iffley road mile festival' that I had no idea of. Shame, as one of the Miles was being paced for 4.15 and it was 3pm rather than 4.55, the time of my BMC race.

I was a bit miffed that I didn't get in the B race really, wouldn't have been last in that as it happened. Anyway my support arrived, wife and kid on way home from my folks in Poole, my mate who lives there on his bike and I got warmed up. I had three young girls and two vets in my race. Matt Hibberd from Southampton didn't turn up, so it was likely to be and the pacemaker, top guy from Oxford uni. 

Thats how how it turned out. The main problem was the bloody wind, but that's generally the track season..either too hot or too windy, or both. Wasn't sure how I'd go as the schedule I have has less tapering for races than I would usually, wondering how the 12 x 400 on Thursday night might affect me. First lap down in 67..spot on, as was 800 in 2.14. The wind was a real pain down the home straight though and the pacemaker dropped out with one lap to go and the bell on 3.22/23..pace dropping off 4.30 pace. As I feared the cumulative effect of the wind took its toll on the last lap, felt like I was running through treacle in the last 100, and the time stopped on 4.36. 73 last lap! Doh. Nevertheless pretty happy with it I suppose given the conditions..but put that up against Dean"s 4.22 three years ago..food for thought. 

Decent day out though, couple of pints and a burger after. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

4.36 was in the C race in the end then Simon? How many races?

Woke up today surprised by the wind and rain, but put a 13 in. First of that distance for 5 weeks now, as 10-12 has been enough in the heat, and in the context of racing short.

Only a 7.17 average, but it's easy to forget the long runs don't need to be necessarily always be in and around 7 dead, there is a zone for the same benefit.

Down for the 3x1mile relays tomorrow at Battersea, see how those go! No real lose, couple of club pals for a little trip there, rampage for 5 or so mins and enjoy the set up. At worst I want to expunge 5.08 as being my fastest mile of 2018 so far!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Surprised by the wind and rain SG? Can you not get a weather forecast on your phone then? :wink:

I'd say that's a pretty decent time in that blustery wind Simon, and somewhat humid too, despite the cooler temperature.

LSR for me today, also with the novelty of a good soaking! Really put the 'S' in LSR though! Legs just seem to have no pep in them at the moment and 14M of hills was more than enough today. Thinking of taking a week off and see what happens. I'm off to Cornwall for two weeks on Friday, so might take the opportunity to be a bit lazy....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I never believe anyone Bus ;)

Also I had my Saturday "bunker" day.

Any thread interest in an autumn half then?  Something to aim for after your little break(s) Bus? Phil? Anyone else?

October has a few options, Slough (first in 30 years), Oxford. GSR (ok, not a half in fairness!), any other... probably October needs to be the earliest, so we have at least September to train up, and however much of August...if it stays sensible weather.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Impressive mile indeed in the wind Simon and 4'36 is a time most top 20 something athletes would only ever aspire too (whatever Dean did 2 years ago :)). Good training SG and Bus,14m of hills will reap its reward in due course. 

Was in a somewhat more downmarket track mile race myself Saturday afternoon at Woking where the web group some of you on here malign, "Fetch Everyone", came to town. I knew nothing of them before but to be fair they out on a great little event; especially as it was all free. Very much like the Reading AC mile I did last year with runners grouped into 6-8 per race based on predicted times. My 12 year old daughter won her one in just about 7 mins so had something to live up too. I had put down 5'45 so was in the 2nd last event in the 5'30-6'00 group (pretty wide variation eh!). As usual went off too fast and took it up, as there was no real pace. Surprised myself with a fairly comfy 400 (and a bit) for lap 1 in 1'19 and a repeat for lap 2. Then realised I was about 20 metres clear of 2nd and a good gap back to 3rd. Couldn't keep up that pace though and my last 800 was a pretty ropey 2'52 and was passed down the back straight of the last lap by a kid about 30 years my junior. Tried to stay with him but nothing doing and he was about 20 metres clear by the line. Held 2nd ok though for a 5'31 which will do. Final race was great to watch; some lad was through 800 in 2'12 but faded to a 4'38 or so. Still looked very good to me and all the other onlookers, but slower than you Simon and you could give him about 25 years in age! All except one in the last race sub 5 so some decent quality there.

All followed parkrun in the morning which was Woodley again (daughter's choice for her 50th) and an 18'29 for me. Slightly slower than last week but was very windy in parts and 3rd finisher so an improvement place wise at least. 

No running today; club 10k on but it was raining and knew I would be s..t after yesterday so for once made the right decision not to overdo it!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Great mile races Pete and Simon.  I was planning on trying to get a late entry into the Oxford bmc, as I wanted to get a top 2 all time ranking) but seeing the weather report showed it wasn't worth the long drive for me, I decided on a session instead (had to change that to hill reps as the wind was too restrictive).  Now I'm searching for track mile races between now and end of sept...anyone know of any?
  • Options
    Great racing Pete and Simon - top stuff. 

Just popping my head in (usually just lurking) - SG I'm doing the mile relays also, so I will look out for you. First time I've run in two weeks since being hit by a car during my Ironman race, so I'm not expecting to be flying around!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Joe - excellent! Will be good to say hello!
    That's perked me up after a 45min meeting where I was contemplating what it's all about, and why, and can I retire yet ;)

Small world this running game. Are you in a team with Mr Bannister?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good races and parkrun Simon and Pete.

Quite impressed by the speed you guys are operating at. Currently I feel that if I tried similar, I'd do myself a mischief.

Enjoying running at the moment. Much easier just jogging along for miles and miles hardly having to take a breath. 

🙂

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Cheers for the comments. See I thought that it was just BMC - I could have done the race at 3.10 really - £2 cheaper too LOL. I will have to try and remember for next year. The mens A mile was really good standard, I explained to my mate that the backmarker went through 800 in 2.05 - my best 800 this season..makes you think! My mate from HHH did 4.32 in the B race, think the last man was in on 4.39. Sensible choice not to drive down Dean..

Good parkrun Pete, the mile races sounded good fun too! Bus - well earned holiday then, I think if I was away for two weeks I'd give myself 3/4 days off properly before I was on it again. Good to hear Ric..SG - years of working yet mate!!

Next race another mile at MK in the Eastern vets. Think the 35-49 record is 4.37 so I will be eyeballs out again. Schedule has 12-16 200m 'strides' at 29-31 sec pace tonight. I think that's classed as sprinting rather than striding :)

• Options
    SG - our club (Clapham Chasers) have actually got 17 teams entered, so there's quite a few of us!

I'm formed a semi-speedy mixed team with my better half and a guy that's much quicker than me. But just realised we've got an even quicker mixed team entered so we've got no chance there + not sure how I'm going to hold up..
  • Options

JB - Good to see the Chasers getting stuck into some of the track stuff this season - are they in the SAL? thought I've seen them running.

BMC mile results if anyone interested..not even on PO10 yet..

http://www.britishmilersclub.com/content/bmcitemdisplay.aspx?itemid=1475

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What's the time requirement for BMC Simon? Something mad no doubt!

17 teams Joe! That's some turn out.

Starting to get some adrenaline up now. The early leave (4ish!) and drive will take some of that away, and getting there is step 1 done!

Checked the youtube vid from 2016 and the start line looks narrow and hectic! Will have to make sure I arrive well, as i'm leg 1.

Is a good chance to rack up another race, a rare chance for a flat road mile, plus a fun element of the team relay scenario.

• Options

I see HHH had a last minute relay team out last night. One was the guy who ran the B race at Oxford and one who ran the 3000m with me at Bedford. Not sure how they got on two were in the 4.30's and one 4.40. SG - The C race level was supposed to be 4.25 on Saturday - obviously not how it turned out.

did 14 x 200 last night over the road - busier over there and you would have seen why I get frustrated. One poor terrier being walked round on the tarmac for the whole 30 mins I was there. Anyway - managed to average 31's with 60 secs recovery.