Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    One in December seems sensible, it's ostensibly a three week month. The last two weekends are Christmas/New Year time. You'd only have to take the Reading one, stick it on the 6th Jan and I reckon it would be ideal.

Besides who actually wants to do all 8 of them, surely 4 or 5 is plenty.
  • Options
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Naughty bus.

The proof is the attendance pudding reg so im sure they'll look at that versus other years.

I don't really feel xc in any way right now i must admit. Maybe that'll change.

I just have half an eye on fast road races that clash. Hatfield 5 v sandhurst. Victory 5(despite different course) v handy cross. Chichester v the Bracknell one.

Add in missing the 3 October ones those 3 clashes and another half an eye on marlow n gosport in nov and it all needs a bit of properly working out a plan :)

Ps tough job on organising boards thanks to those who put their effort in etc. Goes without saying !
  • Options
    Hello chaps! I would just like to add that you can't really schedule xc leagues that clash with championships, even if your races are on Sundays instead of Saturdays. Isn't the first weekend in January county champs?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back!

Ps no idea...the big boys who get excited by such things will confirm im sure.
    The sat league has fixtures the same weekend as our league tho so id guess that its that league it can't clash with.
  • Options
  • Options
    The comments re championships made me visit the Bucks AA website. They have their track event in mid-May but do not do the longer distances and usually push them back to a dark midweek evening in the autumn so I wondered when they were. Seems they changed and made them on Saturday 2nd September. A huge 8 runners turned up with 2 guests so that leaves 6 Bucks runners:

1 Male under 20 won unopposed
    1 Senior Female won unopposed
    4 Senior male (2 senior, 2 V50)

http://www.bucksaa.org.uk/results/5000m2018.pdf

Absolutely a self-fulfilling prophecy: if they run these things unannounced they get nobody coming. 
  • Options
    SG: I see you are thinking about a parkrun Saturday. Got concrete plans yet?
  • Options
    That xc league is far too busy! Only 4 in the Surrey League :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Was just going to say more or less what SC wrote. I have been involved with lots of xc leagues over the years and never known one to have more than five fixtures. Most are four or five. Manchester League is a good example with four fixtures to score from five events, with one per month October to February. And recommended county championship date is always first weekend in January these days.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Exactly that Simon. One a month works in Saturday leagues, but one a month in Dec/Jan in the TVXC league just feels barren.

In my humble opinion, 7 races was a good number, you do 4 to 5 individually, and generally can get a good team for 6 races (lowest score doesn't count) . 8 just tips it too far the other way. Although often one of the races gets binned - I remember the Metroes race was only on about once in my Marlow days. The Finch one, whether run by Finch Coasters, or by TVT has been binned for different reasons too.

One year it did run, I remember no-one had the key to the front gate, so everyone had to drive miles round the back way through some almost army like training camp. The car was more mud than metal after that one!

ps Phil - those track "champs" are a bit of a joke. Usually won by someone I could beat.

pps - decision in progress.
    50/50 between simple Wycombe and "a fast course" wherever that may be.

Obvs Dachs would recommend Woodley, but when I put an inevitable 17:59 in, the abuse would flow like a river :)
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Let's not forget the TVXC league is predominantly XC for the Parkrun brigade.

I don't think a championship would effect the TVXC turnout that much.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, there is the rub really.
    While still decently competitive at the front end, it's not stacked with tonneloads of quality. And the races are more MT than XC, with the exception of Reading last year, which was textbook traditional XC, with laps without much undulation but hugely muddy.

As opposed to slogging up colossal hills in the woods and trails, and over all manner of stuff.

On the road I like a quality race for the benefit to the time - coming miles down the field is fine.
    Off road, where times aren't as important, i think i'd find it soul destroying slogging round being miles down.
  • Options
    The courses point is an interesting one. I for one enjoy the variety of the TVXC courses. Datchet I can do without though.  Typically and I am guessing here, XC is shorter open loops on grass, presumably because it's better for spectating and easier to marshall/set up.

The close links to the track and road racing scene would also influence a less severe test. All these fragile road runners wouldn't want to spend too much time hurtling down hills at Handy Cross for example when we all know that a few leaves can cause significant distress to some  ;)

• Options
    Our XC league, covering Devon and Cornwall, is an event each month from October through to March, so 6 in total - with 5 to score.
    We have the county champs (one Devon and one Cornwall) as part of one of the respective courses. Am I right in understanding that you have an additional county champs fixture, rather than it being incorporated into one of the others??
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Reg. The big boys on this thread certainly wouldn't put the paces they quote from their xc league down on some of our courses.

My handy cross was a shocking average pace last year. Obvs not helped by losing a shoe before the massive downhill, but still!
  • Options
    I was late to HX last year and just turned up before the gun, as you know the only way to not start at the front from there is to squeeze through the field so I just lined up pretty much in front of the front row and the starter gave me some stick over his tannoy about being confident! 

Trouble was I was recovering from a  badly twisted ankle and I wasn't planning on leading the field down that first hill!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ah yes I remember you swaggering around
    "i don't need a warm up, i'm big time innit"

It is a fairly madcap first half mile or so. Quickly sorting out a lot of over enthusiastic types with that sudden steep hill that keeps going out of sight into the woods.

Glorious later though in reverse.
    Unless you're in a tight battle when the last thing you want to do is smash yourself one last time.
    It's made even worse at the bottom now by the new route taking you up what is definitely a steeper finish, and on muddy as heck grass, rather than the gently slight up path.

Driving into the venue is success itself on the wrong weather day!
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    Reg. The big boys on this thread certainly wouldn't put the paces they quote from their xc league down on some of our courses.

Ha ha! probably be faster on your courses as they are mostly on paths where you get to wear trainers and not 15mm spikes due to ankle deep mud. must be a nightmare keeping pace on those paths with all those leaves sometimes on the course and the odd scattering of twigs.    ;)

this is lemington spa in our xc league. im in the ditch at 1.25.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unPww9pRtj0

• Options
    My idea of a warm up is running from the car to the start.

I have a reputation in my club for arriving just in time. I tend to use up every available second at home doing stuff to try and appease my wife before I bugger off.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Invitation is there dean.come and try our handy cross one. 😎

Not datchet.even ican hold decent pace on that one. Ish.
    Well, compared to the ferocious 2mile walk i just did (this 50m weeking with no doubles is tough)
  • Options
    Ha ha! shiiiit....if even you cant hold pace on that course there is nay hope for the rest of us trotters ....but can i wear spikes?

anyway im the worst advocate of xc there is. im only doing the ones my son is racing in the u15s.  if it isnt  indoors this winter im not interested :)  i like my warmth.   Unfortunately our first xc league race is tomorrow.  im not fit, been eating junk food since the final and i have a bad attitude towards XC, but the coach wants me out there....should go great! :)   its on StevieSees club course so maybe i get to see him...if i do i will pass on your good wishes
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    even i "can" hold pace on that you doofus!!   :D

I'm not attempting the most ill thought out bragging since trying to weasel into the Eastleigh 10k one year ;)
  • Options
    HA HA! i was talking about handy cross....thought that was the tough one?  on grass with a bit of an incline in it?  probably about 6k in length?  sounds brutal :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, very easy course, i think you'd enjoy it. o:)
  • Options

I hope the leaves comment isn't the Derry course again cheeky barstewards :) it's what was under the leaves that was the issue. Dachs will back me up!

Some of our courses are 'easy' Richmond Pk is our first one in 2 weeks time. Pretty flat but knackering as it's a cavalry charge down to the White Lodge. I like the courses though as they are 'runnable' Chiltern League are a bit tougher tbh - I usually do the December one as a guest as they are still first claim only (SL allows two second claimers per 10).

In other news - just had a messenger convo with Scotty, buying some new Hoka from Alton sports. He's still only at 8mm, foot giving him a bit of grief.

• Options
    to be honest of all the problems scot has had, the fact its only his foot giving him some grief must be a relief.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjXNPZJWxA

6:00 is the best downhill section, it hits 30-40% at the beginning and has a steep camber too, every year I make up a few places, straight after there's a narrow climb where you can get your breath back knowing they can catch you up but can't get past, then there's another downhill to the finish where, if you passed them on the last downhill, you know you'll move away again.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Simon, I expect you must have a tonne load of alton vouchers yourself, but if you don't, I'll split the value of one into cash!

I personally found the Tadley course the toughest last year. None of the big hills of Handy Cross, but the deepest mud I've seen, and so much jumping, I ached in ways I never have. Have never quite felt so delirious in a winter race either, not entirely sure where or what I was doing.

The Bracknell one is the headscratcher for me. Yes, there's a steep hill 5mins into each lap, but it's fairly quickly despatched. The rest of the course has a lot of smooth running, but it just feels such a slog. Maybe because it's usually near the end of the series?
  • Options

All this talk of slogs and steep hills is putting me off giving XC a try! Was considering giving it a go when Knowle ever process my application but I'm not sure. I have never ran XC and barely even ran off road before so it would be a big change. Spoke to my coach on Wednesday and he wasn't too keen unless I was going to be specifically targeting it rather than just dabbling.

Considering I want to up my mileage again for a spring marathon I might be better making an early start and building a big base. I am intrigued by XC but I don't want to get injured! Be interested to see what people think about the pros/cons?