Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Yep, that looks like a malfunction on the hr sensing front Ric.
  • Options
    My work schedule has just changed: used to be in Hammersmith 5 days a week and now 3 days a week at home so that has a big impact in running: Hammersmith is basically in a flat zone near the Thames and the nearest hills were Primrose Hill or Richmond Park, at home I live on top of a hill and can't run more than half a mile in any direction before I head down.

I have obviously run for years in my local area but it tends to be a parkrun on Saturday and a long run on Sunday and that means I can afford the time to get in the car and drive the 15 to 20 minutes it takes to get into the middle of the Chilterns and do a scenic run. I now have to find a few midweek courses for an easy 5 and am trying not to look like SG and run up and down the valley floor from Wycombe Rye to Adams Park and back.
  • Options

Great report Reg - My only visit to Ibiza was in September back in 96, and we had an almighty thunderstorm then too (which bizarrely there is a geographical paper written on it, it was that bad!) so I know what it can be like. Good effort in the circumstances.

Wool. Enjoyed the Welsh C4 highlights of Snowdonia and always thought it might temp me - although its the quads thing that worries me. Looks stunning though, and a Saturday morning race, right up my alley.

So watched Bmth at Fulham on saturday, followed by a curry, which fuelled a great run over to Luton to watch the half Sunday morning, felt great, tempoed half of it around 6.45's, about 12 miles in all. Training tonight, trying out the new Brooks Mach 18 xc spikes (the bright orange ones!) before Mansfield on Saturday

• Options

So watched Bmth at Fulham on saturday, followed by a curry, which fuelled a great run over to Luton to watch the half Sunday morning.

Watched the highlights on MOTD. Craven Cottage does seem a good place for away fans as you get a proper stand behind a goal and don't get pushed into a wedge somewhere in the corner of the stadium. Didn't spot your face but there were quite a few TV shots of happy fans as the goals seemed to all be at that end.

I see they have GFA entries for The Vitality Big Half (10th March 2019). Anyone done it, is it fast? Looks quite good other than the fact that you end up in a different place to where you start (Tower Bridge to Greenwich) so it must be a bit of a faff getting back. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Is that the sub 1hr 25 senior for "GFA" Phil? 
    Seems a bit generous!

Right, went and did Ric/Moorcroft's  30x200m session.

Probably a little close to Sunday's race, and I knew immediately the pretty heavy wind wasn't going to make it too much fun.

I threw in a full 1 min break extra after 10 and 20 reps to compensate, but I must admit up to 20 I was considering binning the reps down to 24/25.
    However, once I'd got near 25 I knew i was doing 30, and thus a full sesh.

I think Ric estimated 38.

Ended up (and using just secs, no round ups - and i took the split for rep and recovery)

37x1
    38x8
    39x16
    40x4
    41x1

Probably a 39 average, which in the overall wind/race situation is probably fair doings.
    It was mostly one half of the track with heavy wind, and the other side with fair wind. Some of the reps felt like crawling, but without overly pushing - so it probably fit what I was attempting.

I did clock a 17second recovery for one. Clearly when world class athletes do this session they're getting the same recovery as rep. 
    When the likes of me are doing it we're getting a pretty skimpy one :)
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    Is that the sub 1hr 25 senior for "GFA" Phil? 
    Seems a bit generous!

Right, went and did Ric/Moorcroft's  30x200m session.
    Maybe generous but sort of consistent for men, for the younger women it starts out far easier and gets much harder. 

23 years old, 1:25 69.67% WAVA
    41 years old, 1:30 69.08% WAVA
    50 years old, 1:35 70.47% WAVA
    60 years old, 1:45 69.71% WAVA

women

23 years old, 1:40 65.83% WAVA
    41 years old, 1:30 65.20% WAVA
    50 years old, 1:35 67.79% WAVA
    60 years old, 1:45 72.72% WAVA

I guess there is some logic behind this in that maybe they want to attract equal numbers and not equal quality.

Good session in the wind, I'll leave it to others to pick at it but conventionally you race Saturday and train hard Tuesday and Thursday evenings so after a Sunday race I'd wait until Wednesday. 
  • Options

PMJ - I'm in the same situation as you, need to find a new winter tempo route! Cannon hill park closes at 4.30 in winter so no use to me. Will ask at my club when I eventually get to a club night if they have any ideas.

I am also considering The Big Half as I have a GFA time. It's 4 weeks out from Manchester so good timing, just trying to decide if its worth a trip to London. Theres a more local half on the same day which is laps of a reservoir

Great session SG on tired legs and in the wind.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, I'd say that's right on the money.

Analysis of your session would indicate that you've managed 3.73 miles averaging 5:13 min mile pace in the wind, cold, and having to constantly accelerate to pace.

That makes those 39's pretty effective.

The short; sometimes very short, recovery is part of the deal. There's the feeling that you never really stop running. But it's a lot faster than you could manage in one go.

And with a lot less strain involved.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil - 1hr 40 for women considered good for age? Talk about spoilt!!
    And I think you've absolutely turdburgled the women's times from 41 down ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric - it was different, and one I know you've championed for a fair old while - so in a current "in between" zone, it seemed the right time to have a crack.
    Phil's right about too close to a race really, but I suppose as it didn't "feel" the usual race effort I was able to do it.

I should probably do a tempo job later this week, but we'll see how it pans out. One day at a time.
    I did spend a lot of the session having to forget what i'd "usually" do 200s in, whether it's my 5k summer stuff, or even the Johnas "after threshold" stuff, and remember it's all about what you explain above.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    Phil - 1hr 40 for women considered good for age? Talk about spoilt!!
    And I think you've absolutely turdburgled the women's times from 41 down ;)
    Turdburgled is a new one on me, yes copy and paste error

men

23 years old, 1:25 69.67% WAVA
    41 years old, 1:30 69.08% WAVA
    50 years old, 1:35 70.47% WAVA
    60 years old, 1:45 69.71% WAVA

women

23 years old, 1:40 65.83% WAVA
    41 years old, 1:45 65.20% WAVA
    50 years old, 1:50 67.79% WAVA
    60 years old, 1:57 72.72% WAVA
  • Options

PMJ - Yes the tickets I selected were quite near the goal so that was handy. The only downer was paying £18.90 for two pints of lager and 2 cokes in a pub nearby! Ridiculous.

Decent session SG - Although I'm a bit put out that it's Ric's session now ;) I actually was told of it by the missus as they used to do it at Bedford, but this is the 10 with 10 secs recovery, 10 with 20 and the last 10 with 30 secs recovery version. Nice little variance on the general knackeredness and a good one to try next time!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Very impressive races under trying circumstances by both AG and Wool. You will both surely get the benefit of all the fitness work you did for them further down the line. Decent enough xc by SG; as Dachs said a much higher standard than usual at the front with Reading taking it much more seriously on hone turf. 

What is the benefit of GFA at the London Half anyway. Presume you still have to pay, like with GFA at VLM, and can you not just enter normally if you want to pay an exorbitant price and have all the hassle of a London race starting and finishing in different places? The GFA times are so easy just about any decent club runner could do them so doubt they can offer many privileges with them. Surely better to try for the free GFA places at Wokingham if possible (though the requirement time wise is obviously harder). 

Not much to report from me. Struggled badly with cough and cold for a week now. Still did pr of course, but a fairly rubbish 18'57 at an easy course. Did Supernova run too with my daughter on Friday; about 800 runners and she was almost top 100 with 27'04. Winner only mid 18's, should have run it properly myself! Now that is a fun run but having said that the organisation and freebies were brilliant. For £22 entry you got a decent head torch to keep, a sports bag, energy bar, medal, a running buff and a few other assorted extras. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Simon, my first experience of the session was in 1989 when I watched Scottish runner/coach Steve Doig doing a set.

So only a session I make a lot of noise about.

My speedwork diary (yes - a book of it's own) had me doing 20 reps which gradually evolved into 30 to 40 reps off a short recovery.

It's aimed at the aerobic/anaerobic threshold and my inability to run a long rep right on the edge without blowing up. It's mentally, low pressure.

I once worked out that if divided the average pace of the reps by 0.92 That was the pace I would average for a 10k. My best set was 36.5's and I ran mid 33's.

Sorry, missed you there Pete. Good result considering.

I did a one hour plus run and a two hour bike ride today. Finally getting somewhere.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Keep going guys, I've just been reading a Biased Broadcasting Corporation article on BMI highs and lows.

From the position of my own age group, the average BMI is 28.8 which, for someone of my enourmous stature equates to 76kg!!

Currently 60kg down from 63kg of two months back.

To fit into the healthy zone I can be as low as 49kg. Now there's something to work on.

🙂

• Options

Ric -Yeah can imagine it's been a popular session for years. Is one of my favourites. PeteM Hope you feel better soon

So Luton last night, the Brooks Mach18 seem very nice, albeit on firm grass, Session was 6 x 1200 - IK coming back into things, so nice to be quite close for the first 600 before the 100m slope. Managed to get tem down from 3.55 to 3.42 for the last one, so happy with that. Couple of visitors from Amptill & Flitwick Flyers too, which was good - more the merrier!

Belated shout out to former group member Ryan for his 2.20 in Frankfurt too. Sensible pacing from him, a miracle in itself.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I always have the image of some massive hill on these reps for some reason Simon!

Ric - we all know that scale doesn't take in muscle mass so can be quite harsh on anyone with any semblance of the stuff.
    I always wondered about it when it had me pretty much dead centre of the "healthy" section as an 11 stone 6ft 1 guy.
    That's got to be pretty light for the height, so unlucky anyone who isn't a lankypot who destroys any sort of muscle with 60mile weeks!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah.... mid week medium long added back in.
    10miler, 7.09
    Very cold. It seems unreal I was moaning about warm/hot a mere 10 days back, as today was gloved fingers struggling to move the ipod song on from half way type cold!

It also shows how your mind helps a lot, as back in Dec/Jan I did 8 x 15milers over 2 months, 7 of them pre-work.
    Today, 10 felt plenty, but then I'd only gone out for a 10.

Also, I suppose it is still 3 days on from a race, with no day off since last Tue, in an already potentially fatigured time.
    Still - rest of today off, may re-install the THUR OFF too, but we'll see.
  • Options

SG - You're the same weight as me but I'm only 5ft 8! That's a great run prework, I can't imagine running any sort of distance before work!

Did my first session post marathon last night. Pyramid fartlek, so 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5mins all off 2 min jog recovery. Supposed to be at 10k pace. Started at around 6.20 and worked down to 6.04 which is alright considering I can never run as fast in the dark! Legs feel fine today so perhaps could have pushed a bit harder

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Re SG: who destroys any sort of muscle with 60mile weeks!

I train on the principle that running is a sub set of body building.

That means you need to give the body sufficient material of the optimal type in order to get improvement.

It's part of the deal, not a side issue.

I've just run seven miles. I've eaten off the back of it, 3 slices of wholemeal bread, a small tin of tuna, two scrambled eggs and mug of porridge oats and milk.

The energy contained within that lot barely covers what I've just done.

🙂

• Options
    SG - Nah just a slope. Annoying tho. Decent pyramid SW!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric - body building - i know what you mean, but it's more a Mr Puniverse contest for a lot of us!

Stevie - you heavy chap! No, it's probably more I'm an absolute streak of piss in fairness. Although i do know one runner of the same height a stone lighter, which I find incredible.
    Nice little pyramid - always a treat once the top has been reached.

Our club do a 5k time trial once a month, which isn't really something I'd ever want to do too often to be honest -as if I'm out with the club I'd want more close to people type reps rather than a conga line.

One of our chaps who beat me on Sunday did a 17.49 or so i think, which on what must have been super cold, and with pretty much a stop and turn on a sixpence mid way is a pretty tidy effort.

I did the timetrial once, and can't actually remember if it's a full 5k or just under, but I think I did it 18.00-18.06 ish leading to a fellow club member saying it was a "modest" run :)
    In fairness, it was idiotically, 2 days after that 20miler in March, so arguably not the freshest session ever. The fact I spent 2-3 days borderline coldy the rest of that week showed it was ludicrous planning.

But anyway, maybe I was a little harsh on myself on Sunday, and I am simply behind this clubmate then. And as Dachs alluded to, where I "think" I am aint where I actually am.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    lots to read back on but looks like many had good races at the weekend. nice work all.

superb report Reg. obviously the weather was a shocker and the illness but still a very respectable outcome.  Couldnt believe the bags in transition. what an unorganised mess... at what is an international show piece. are they normally like that or is it easier during the race to find your bag than that photo shows. can only imagine that after a few had come in the bags are thrown all over.
  • Options
    It is crazy re:organisation at some of these events. At both the Euro and World masters there's no one doing 400/800 splits in the 1500m! (or even a clock at 200m). Bizarre as you get this right at regional masters meetings.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Simon, I'm inclined to ask why, if the athletes themselves aren't considered, what are those organising the events really there for?

Plenty of people have agendas and ulterior motives and simply hijack a vehicle if it suits their purpose.

There's enough of those in my club. They have no real interest in the reasons for the club but are sure keen on the committee stuff.

It's the sort of shit that they think looks good on a CV. 

Odds on, the issue of clocks and split times were discussed and then disregarded by someone with a point to prove, and the authority to get away with it.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Committees Ric?  I've had cracks on a footy league one, Marlow Striders' one, and the 5k and XC leagues too.

It felt good to help at perhaps my keenest ever times in sport, but one thing you realise quickly, is that it is completely thankless stuff.

The amount of people who are very quick to moan, but wouldn't dream of offering their help is unreal.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Old school THUR OFF today - bedding in the nice rest zone after a morning Wed run.
    Good job - can feel the borderline cold feeling sweeping over me.

Am hoping all is fine to put some easy running in tomorrow, then might entertain some hill sprints on Saturday.

Sunday is a temptation to turn out at the Marlow 7, as I note some of the Datchet chaps are in.
    In reality I think I know that a hilly 7miler, in this weather, not feeling particularly great, and not in good form anyway, is not a glorious recipe, even at what would probably be like last year - a tempoy first 5miles in the hills, then a heroic smash downhill to the finish!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Most of the people that get on running club committees have no need of a CV anymore.

Simon, it's a championship event - I wouldn't have though that calling splits would have been an expectation?

• Options

Dunno really Dachs - Suppose more of a clock at 200m I suppose rather than someone calling out.

Did 8 reps on Primrose Hill, quite a few other runners doing it, all seem to be training for races where you just stop at the top of the hill! Well that's what they do. Amateurs :)

Anyway - next topic..have any runners you know turned Vegan recently? I'm not considering it, just wondering like.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention the 'V' word Simon.

I did some research on the subject this morning and ended up watching a cow on Utube eating a chicken alive. Just grabbed it, and it was gone.

So much for herbivores being vegan by default. 

🙂