Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - I think it's fair to say that, although it may have been a fairly average performance in terms of time at the GSR, that's probably your finest race report.  I felt the tension built through my bones, I doubled over in agony in sympathy with your swelling bladder, and then almost sighed with relief as you micturated heartily in a luckless housing estate, and finally experienced every moment of your increasing fatigue in the latter stages.  Sounds like the conditions weren't helpful to you, but still impressively toughed out in the latter stages and a solid sub 60 for the portfolio.

In terms of training, is the threshold or faster reps an either/or situation?  I have always tried to structure it in the classic manner, with 1 x tempo/threshold and 1 x reps session per week.  Actually, I've been quite slack on tempos for the last year or so, and feel I've probably suffered a bit as a result. But yeah, agree with Ric that you probably need to be regularly running reps at faster than race pace.

What took me to that sub-70 half marathon was maintaining the 5K pace rep sessions, paired with a weekly tempo.  I alternated that tempo from week to week - one week it would be less than half the race distance (5-6 miles) at race pace (usually with 3-4 miles warm up and 1-2 miles cooldown), and the next week it would be close to the race distance (10-12 miles) at the next pace down, i.e. marathon pace (after a mile or two warm up).  Worked like a f**king dream.

Matt H - good to see you performed well despite calf issues, sounds like a tough day at the office.

Stevie W - massive congratulations on a stonking PB at Abingdon there!  What an excellent performance, and to finish with the fastest mile like that is truly impressive.  You will definitely run faster, but even so these races where you smash your PB to pieces will be the ones you remember fondest.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Ta chaps, knew I'd get a good set of interesting responses from you all.

Wool - just to clarify, the extra miles would be at the expense of one of the sessions, rather than keeping 3 and still going high :)

Interesting you mention how hard it looked like I was working In the training, versus my perception that I wasn't doing enough mileage.

Muddy - the 5.50 well, 5.52 was worked off the best achieved 5k this summer versus the Daniels VDOT calc, so no guesswork as such, pure science on this one.
    But everything else you say is spot on, perhaps a little generous on the length of the course, as 6 years ago I went 2mins faster and don't remember thinking it was long :)

Probably not a "disaster" and thus needing too much over analysis - but you know us on here by now :) A cooler day and something in the 58s, and it'd have felt a lot better I'm sure.

Phil - I think you nail it, I've done by far my biggest short distance repeated focus ever this year. We're talking pretty much May through to early Sep just looking to race tonnes of short stuff. So I suppose a 10miler is quite a distance step up. I saw it as "easier" than a half marathon, rather than the "quite some way further" than 5ks! You can get away with whatever the weather in a 5k, but the longer the race the more it builds up.

Dachs - ta old son. My commitment to the thread is good bad or average, a full and frank race report.  Apart from crossing the line, and that satisfied drive home, it's probably the most enjoyable part of the race experience!!

EOG, a local legendary runner familiar to a few of us, mailed me and said that as he gets older, the tapering is something he finds a bit of a lotto. Said I may not have got that right - and might well storm a future race - here's hoping!

For now, ill recover/ enjoy this little United trip, then as long as 100%, probably build the mileage a bit and have a look at this XC Sunday. Get back amongst the club scene for a reasonably result pressure free run out.

Possibly a couple of road race run outs in the next month too. Doing the odd club session again.

But with an eye on getting back on the 60+ mile weeks with the four key parts - tempo/threshold, faster reps, medium midweek long, and longer long run (14-16).
    I quite enjoyed at the start of this year putting some 15milers in on a Thursday pre-work. It allowed Sundays free to race XC, without compromising getting the long run in. It went from 15 feeling quite a bind, to feeling fairly decent near the end, and saw me through a Wokingham I was a bit worried about excellently.

Will dig out some of the old Moz plans to see what rep sessions fit what stage, but also bearing in mind the stuff Aley - on and off forum, and Ric have mentioned.

Will have to look where to put some of those sessions in. Should they wait until back racing short next year, or should I chuck some in while I'm almost "On a freebie" for a few weeks.

Either way, when I decide a "base" period is starting again, I'll probably get back to basics, 65-70mile weeks, tempo of 40mins around 6min miling (what I used to call MP under Moz, but learnt I can legitimately call Threshold now - understanding that 5.52 is rep threshold and it adjusts), and some faster reps, with the 14-16. Look forward to that, as that's what has always made feel powerful and fit.

28 races this year though! Phew!  Probably not enough substantial distances though, as only 1xHM, 1x10M, 1x5M and 2-3 XC in the 5-6mixer

Main positive from Sunday (if we can believe that 10k marker), was a 36:30 10k within a 10miler on a warm day, not feeling magical. So that might be worth a late year look at a standalone 10k and see how we go.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    SG: still two 10k's you could do at Battersea if you want. 27 Oct and 1 Dec. Fast and flat as you know and the start time has been put back this year and is now not till 8.30am! At least the roads are mega quiet for driving there that early on a Saturday. Bit tempted myself but the Oct '17 one was a DNF for me and wasn't fit for ages after that so don't think i'll repeat (especially as I've now got the crap 10k times monkey off my back for this year)

Wouldn't get at all down about your GSR; manically big races never easy to run top times in IMO and you were only 1 min away from a very decent result (I appreciate we feel that is a lot at my level, yet alone yours, but really conditions can easily account for that much). Agree with most of the experts on here that to absolutely reach your potential you need regular reps faster than race pace, especially when the race in question is long like GSR (or alternatively run a few parkruns flat out to mimic the same thing, but without the dread factor of soloing a hard track session).
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, what is the ultimate aim here? 

Is it to enjoy your running, and keep churning out decent performances, as you've been doing for a few years?  If so, fair enough.

Or is it to get back into shape to threaten your PBs?  Because I don't think there's any reason why you can't do that.  You're not old enough that there should be any age-related decline.  You've performed close enough to your ultimate top level in recent years that the Wycombe Half issues were surely a blip.  You know how you got into that kind of shape last time.  Something is holding you back from attempting it though. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The latter would be the ideal scenario Dachs.

If I was doing a year's summary now, i'd report 3seconds off the all time 5k pb, and a 3rd quickest HM out of 27 attempts (8secs off the 2nd quickest -with the pb being a fair outlier on a magical day), so from those stats at the short and long end of my range - getting somewhere near shouldn't be impossible.

This race was an attempt at putting in a proper specific big block, but I suppose for a lot of reasons it didn't happen. Getting back to the Moz programme that worked so well isn't a bad idea, but fused with a little bit of fresh thinking.

Always a chance 2012-13 days were the top end, and the 2015 thing has left a slight physical and mental barrier, but not sure.

I know for sure what doesn't suit me, and that's stuff like long-hot-hilly-offroad, any combination of too many of those factors. Wycombe being the big evidence, and last year's Runnymede Relay being close to that. GSR being a little along those lines, but more in keeping with a hard effort and needing a lie down after - but then walking away fine.

Pete - a good venue for sure. One a bit too soon, and the day before an XC, and one the day of both Handy Cross XC and Victory 5.

A 5m-10k fast course itself might make good sense later this year though.

• Options

'Apart from crossing the line, and that satisfied drive home, it's probably the most enjoyable part of the race experience!!' - Think you're missing one vital part of the day..the pub (obviously not if youre driving though!). Sub 60 is still OK though on a bit of an off day, like Dachs said, tempos are vital for road races, problem is that they are bloody horrible. Done the GSR a few times, got fed up with it, never had a stormer there really. MH - Good little run round, glad you're getting back into it

Petem - Great 10K time, good work there. SteveW - wow, that last mile is nuts! good signs for the future. You were just infront of my training partner, Lee from Dunstable - well he did 2.59.

Decent day out for me at the Southern xc relays at Wormwood scrubs. Mike set me off in 4th (cheers mate!) on 2nd leg on this 5k, flat ish xc course. Well it is short anyway.

As expected, a few flew past me, some effortlessly and some with as bad a running style as I. But felt that I was going OK, felt better than last weeks windy sauna. Coming round and down to the finish, I ended up with 15.21 - most had the course at 4.7k, so I'd make that around 16.15 for the 5K, which I'd take over uneven, albeit dry ground. We ended up in 9th overall, not too bad.

Managed 15 miles Sunday on my old Hoka's got some more from Pro direct within 36 hours of ordering them, as I decided that me and my hip flexors couldn't take any more miles in the old ones - £48 quid though..bargain..) Nothing yesterday, just got back from 8 Primrose Hill reps. Back on it for the autumn (sighs!)..

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work simon!

SG -don't over analyse it. You just had a (relative) bad day.  Your recent training is more than adequate for a faster time, without any further specificity or fine tuning of paces - even I did a 58:44 there and my training plan is about as unscientific as you can get! I had a good day is all. If  you did it again this Sunday, you might take a minute off! A bit of racing longer distances may have helped with the warm temperatures on the day, but who knows

SWH - congratulations and stunningly executed. Most impressed with that negative split and final mile!

As for me, I'm bimbling about in the Lakes this week, so not big miles but lots of climbing!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    StevieWh - fantastic performance.  reminds me a lot of PMJ's london marathon a few yrs back which was delivered perfectly.   Superb and more to come i bet.

Simon C - HA! laughed when you said the most important part of racing is the Pub!  i think the only reason you race is its a free out for some lagers!!  Congrats on the xc relays and a decent time.

Pete, Muddy and Matt H - nice work on your races too.

SG-  Its been said a number of times already but you became a bit of a "Wendy One Pace". :)  you did loads of sessions at the same pace and thats what you delivered on sunday.  You needed more at faster than race pace...but not 12*200... im talking 1k or 800s.   
    You have a strong base of threshold now, i would be adding to it not backing off and adding easy miles as a comfort blanket. adding in another ~10miles to your plan at easy pace isnt going to reap the same rewards as working harder at a fast pace.    i think Ric suggestions of a few sessions to try was on the money. 
    For you, i would go down the route of simon/Ric who would do 30*200.  Faster pace than mile reps and enough of them so they arent a doddle.  I would go after 1k reps and aim for v close to 3mins as Aley suggested.  
    Also the 5*1m in the week before a race would have killed some of your legs imo...no way would i ever have done that in a big race build up.  Plus you ran them faster than the times given.  if it takes 10 days for adaption of a training session they certainly wouldnt have helped.   
    All that said :) it wasnt a shocking performance, far from it. plenty there to build on and a few tweaks as everyone has suggested i think that would show a very quick reaction in your race times. :)

Midlands XC relays for me last saturday.  Was hot ;) first leg we were leading, second leg was in 3rd but only 10secs or so off the lead, handed over to me i flew out quickly into 2nd in 5.15 first mile, but then the lack of fitness showed and i fell off a bit.  fell back to 3rd but worked as hard as i could to maintain 2nd in my sight.  started to reel him in and with about 400m to go went all in for a sprint to gloriously catch him....but almost immediately turned my ankle in a pot hole and loudly yelped out "FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKKKKK"  took a few seconds to compose realising it wasnt injured, just sore, i chased but he was gone.  6k xc in 5.30 pace.  so ok and about where i am at the moment.   4th leg flew out and brought us home in 2nd for the silver medal.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congratulations, still on cloud 9 here.

SG - I'd echo what Dachs said about tempo runs. In my limited experience I find them really worthwhile physically and mentally. My coach is a massive fan of them as well. He races a 5k and does a weekly 10m tempo throughout the winter
  • Options
    StevieWh - brilliant result at Abingdon! I'm really pleased to hear such a success story for the marathon, and as the others have said I'm sure there's much more to come. Regarding your coached block, how are you going to proceed? Will you use the principles from that and work it out yourself?
    Are you on Strava? We've got a thread 'club' on there.

Pete - good to see you get a good 10km in at the weekend. Sorry, I missed your report! What's next on for you?

Muddy, Dean and SC - well done for each of your races. I think the reasonable XC weather will be soon gone, noticeably cooler today. Dean, hope the ankle is alright!

Really interesting to read the thoughts regarding SG's training. I also think the single training pace may have played a part, but it's one of those where what works well for some doesn't always work for someone else - the fresh training approach was certainly interesting to follow, and I too think the threshold base will offer scope for building upon!

SG, are you thinking of doing to Victory 5 to see out the year? A good opportunity for a rampage if you do - not too long either ;)
  • Options
    Im going to stick with the coach for a while I think Matt. I want to put a big training block down for Manchester marathon next year. Wouldn't be confident enough yet to think I'd get the same results going it alone. Plus I enjoy working with him! Yep I'm on Strava, I think I've just added you. 

Definitely agree with different training working for different people. I averaged 45 miles a week for Abingdon with my peak being 57. That wouldn't work for a lot of people!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I might add that those sessions I mentioned were based on those from Coe (200's), Tulloh (Hills), Moorcroft (1000m & 600m) and Shorter (Long run).

As if I can do any of that at the moment myself.

🙂

• Options
    Ah, thanks for that nugget of info Ric - I was wondering where I might be able to look more into those sessions.
    How are you getting on? Still plugging the consistent miles?

StevieWh, yes, that is me! Sent you an invite to the group/club or whatever Strava calls it.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Not so many running miles at the moment Matt. An odd niggle in the right leg is putting me off a bit.
    Meanwhile I'm once again proving to myself I'm a lot better on a bike than on foot.

Strava segments are quite telling. If running has 100's involved, cycling has 1000's.

🙂

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    SWh - Fantastic run at Abo, having struggled in that last mile last year myself, you must have had more in the tank time-wise but nothing beats rampaging a last mile that I should imagine. Are you down for London again in 2019?

SG - Solid run at GSR. It would be interesting to follow it up with another 10 mile race fairly soon, although I guess they are not that plentiful. I know you've had a lot of feedback but the one thing that stands out for me and I may be wrong, is the amount of quality you've done at the track? I'd speculate it's mentally a bit too easy to be hitting those targets in such a controlled environment and perhaps doing tempos on the roads would help come race day?

Good turn out at Fleet 10k Pete, Matt at GSR.

So I am tapering off a bit this week as I go to Ibiza on Thursday. I'm not in brilliant shape but I feel like I should be able to put in a solid race. Training has been a bit made up as I go along if I am honest but hopefully I've accidentally done a few things right. I got my heel pad thing today and did my first run with it in. Seems quite drastic, adding 12mm to one leg, didn't feel too bad when I was running though. Also has a couple of Chiro appointments and I do feel a lot more mobile in the neck and back. Hopefully this along with the heel pad will help with injury prevention and make me more economical when running.
  • Options
    StevieWh said:

Muddy 
    - My previous Marathon was London this year. I wouldn't call it s disaster. I was allocated pen 4 which was a nightmare, overtook 13000 runners according to the stats. Was aiming for 3.15 and was a minute down at halfway. Just couldn't settle into a rythym with all the traffic. Was further down at 18miles and decided to back off as it was so hot. Came in at 3.22

Ah that explains it - I think London last year was a disaster for many based on the sudden shift in temperature. That's what I'm least looking forward to next Spring. Good to see a steady state heart rate for most of your Abingdon run - it indicates you've got the aerobic development and hydration right on the day. If I could give a tip, it would be to wear the heart rate monitor in a few races, to capture the effort levels, then use that to guide you on sessions, like that last 10mp one, when the conditions are not going to allow you to run a pace. The other thing that approach gets you is that you always train at current fitness and not to a stale pace calc. which is particular important if you can't run loads of miles and want to optimise the running that you do.

Stevie G said:

Muddy - the 5.50 well, 5.52 was worked off the best achieved 5k this summer versus the Daniels VDOT calc, so no guesswork as such, pure science on this one.

Hmm. Not so sure. Those figures are population averages. Real science comes with error bars to indicate the spread of results. It's a pure guess as to where *you* lie within those populations in terms of converting the 5k up. Nevertheless it was a fast enough pace and the sessions were progressive enough to elicit a good training effect. Just maybe too many each week ?
    DeanR7 said:
    "Wendy One Pace"

As my eight year old son would say "That's offensive!" :) Congratulations on the xc relay result. You too Simon.

StevieWh said:

Definitely agree with different training working for different people. I averaged 45 miles a week for Abingdon with my peak being 57. That wouldn't work for a lot of people!
    I've been at similar averages for marathons - if you are historically not used to mileage it makes total sense not to break yourself on the back of the training (and leave that to the marathon!).

Ric’s session with the hills above reminds me of my favourite way to work in the threshold zone - a quarter of a mile working up a hill at threshold effort, down ‘recovering’ at marathon effort, no stopping. Build the number of loops from 6 to 10, then go to 2 lots of 6 with a couple of minutes of recovery in between.  At 12 reps you’re doing around 10k of decent effort. The downhills at marathon effort are great for turnover too.

Best of luck Reg. I forgot to comment on the heel pad - I'll be interested to see how it goes. A long while back at the start of my running a physio measured me up and said something similar - a 15 mm difference - and advised not to run more than 15 miles a week. Thankfully another physio scoffed at that and said while there was a difference a lot of it was probably a functional difference i.e. based on pelvis alignment and balance. I do a lot of work around that area (oo-err) and the only extra help I've needed is when shoes get worn, I stick an extra insole in the shorter leg.
  • Options
    Reg - Thanks was definitely a great feeling being able to run strong in the last mile. I didn't get a ballot place for London unfortunately and I'm too late for GFA for 2019. I'm doing Manchester as my spring marathon. Best of luck in Ibiza!

Muddy - I think getting my Hydration and Fueling right definitely contributed to the strong finish. I'd been warned that there wasn't as much water available on course as say London and that some of it was in cups. Made sure I took a bottle from every station available and carried it with me to sip on, also took 2 Electrolyte/Salt capsules every hour to keep the salts topped up.

I recently changed my HR strap as my old one wasn't very comfortable and also had started giving false readings. 209 in a warm up jog! Have been wearing it on most of my runs but I still don't find it 100% comfortable so decided to leave it off for the marathon. Will be wearing it in a few future races to get a better idea on HRs
  • Options

Cheers Dean -The pub after is the only thing that gets me through the xc season!

Muddy - Hills without stopping are quite intense aren't they. I always try to, but the Primrose Hill rep I do is so steep that after the fast 80m flat bit I just need to walk for about 20m. I suppose to try and keep the quality there, otherwise it would just go to pot.

I checked out the new landscaped lake thingey near my house on Monday, all fenced with gates and dogs have to be on leads as there are sheep roaming. Looks great for reps - I'm really quite lucky with a track literally on my doorstep too

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

DeanR7 said:
    "Wendy One Pace"

As my eight year old son would say "That's offensive!" :) Congratulations on the xc relay result. You too Simon.

:) was it offensive as it it was gender specific...in which case please substitute for "Walter One Pace" as anyone sees fit.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    So it transpires that training is not an exact science.

I feel that sometimes there's a little too much store placed at the numbers prescribed by xy & z and because 2 + 2 = 4, a schedule will =  ABC

It won't.

We're dealing in physiology, not spreadsheets. We're human, not part of some computer matrix.

It's an inexact science, a dark art even. 

Worth considering when fretting about missing a target split time when doing mile reps on Chesil beach at night into a gale force storm.

🙂

• Options
    According to the press:

Perfect weather greeted the start of the Simplyhealth Great South Run 10 mile event in Portsmouth over the weekend.  

https://www.runbritain.com/news/biggest-race-of-the-weekend-sees-perfect-seaside-weather-and-numerous-pbs-in-portsmouth?page=1&pagesize=7&from=&to=&range=Latest
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well Thompson did a pb, but then again, he's at the same age as Lopes was when he beat the marathon world best time.

Not sure what the elite women were playing at? 

Maybe they were training for the London Marathon when a slower pace enables them like the masses to eat, drink and up-date their facebook profiles while on the move. Who knows?

One day the organisers will provide everything during such events.

I visualise a time when sofas, beds and armchairs are provided en-route along with huge numbers of psychologists (thousands of them at Uni) to help the stressed out runners of modern Britain to come to terms with...finding the servers are down.

🙂

• Options

It was nearly perfect wasn't it? A bit of cloud cover would have been nicer I suppose. Loads of people saying it was 'hot' - which was a bit over the top. What was it 11-12 degrees during the race?

SG - Was it that bad?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    20degrees I believe on the day.  
    Obvs not whatever the summer was, but then we weren't trying to race 10milers :)
    I'm glad Matt was down there as otherwise it'd sound like i was making it up :)
    Glad to hear "loads" of people saying it's hot as well then!

When they say "perfect" I think they're meaning 2 things - no real wind, which is rare down there, and "great" to watch. Yes, I can believe it would have been lovely to watch!

All inthough, obvs some on the warmth, and some on me. 

Either way, let's forget about it all now - it's been absolutely picked to death :o
  • Options
    I was down for the Saturday too - that was much more preferable in terms of temperature, around 15°C and with a cooler breeze.
    I definitely think it was up around 17/18°C no bother - especially when exposed on the final eastward stretch!

Should have been drinking in a beer garden, not running :D
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That 20 I quote was off some bbc weather thing for Southsea in and around the time on Sunday.

Most likely it'll soon be back to moaning at how cold and windy it is :)

It's funny with conditions - we had some chuckles at the Handy Cross XC recently, Dean and northern Matt not unreasonably saying it looked a right doss from the vid footage. Similarly, the Marlow half looks a nice gentle jog out from the footage. To actually race though, both are really hard work.

I'm guilty of it too, i saw a well known local runner post a pic of what looked a perfectly smooth flat road with a tiny puddle at the edge and name it something like "dodging heavy puddles" with no irony :)

We move on to run another day though. Legs feel a little lacking at the mo, and have some slight aches the upper side of chest. Nothing to worry about, probably just progressing from the usual tight shoulders etc. Foot ache has gone thank goodness, as that was very unusual.
  • Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

20 degrees? Leave it out! what time did it start? I don't know, some folk are never happy - they'll all be hoping for the howling gale back again next year! Conditions - yes, well I know about the mickey take regarding the xc course in Derry - all those leaves!!!!

Not like me to moan about the weather much when it comes to running though ;)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Like I say, I'm not too up on what temp should feel like what, so I can only go on what it felt like to me personally, plus a quick BBC Southsea weather look.

If it makes you feel better just say all of us pleading "conditions" are just BS blaggers trying to mask our own sh!T performances with made up accounts :)

Literally no more to say about GSR now, am absolutely knackered over it

• Options

No, I believe you...

Nothing wrong in excuses though. I usually have mine ready before the race, let alone after :)

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Probably depends on how individuals cope with heat.  I've certainly heard people who ran GSR describe the conditions as 'perfect', but equally there are those for whom it was too hot.  20 degrees certainly isn't optimal for that kind of distance.

I will never complain about puddles again after the Yeovil Easter Bunny 10K this year, where torrential rain had resulted in a "puddle" 100m long and thigh deep.

Yes, the abuse we got after our description of the surface in Derry was withering.  Not nearly as annoying to me though as I had had the week before, when complaints by me and many runners (including the likes of Steve Way) about having to basically run a fell race in the Hampshire League, were greeted by derision from all the former 70s superheroes on Facebook, since it would apparently have been a bog-standard XC in their day, despite that clearly being unmitigated bullshit.

Dean, storming run and excellent silverware-snatching at the relays.  Simon, likewise a handy performance for HHH.  I quite fancied the XC relays, but I was elsewhere in London watching my youngest play rugby at Saracens, on the fancy proper pitch and everything.

Also forgot Pete and the Fleet 10K, glad to see you're back in the zone you're happy with.