Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good racing and training all round.

I got out in the mud myself. A bit achey from yesterdays efforts but loosened up ok. The last mile was 90 seconds less slow than the first.

Should be better tomorrow.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's progress Ric, so going the right way.

Jools - the wind was ridiculous at times here today, so racing in it much further west and I'm not surprised it came out at the slower end of the spectrum! 

SG - that's a darn good run of long runs!

Anyone know if Wokingham is the same course this year? 
  • Options
    Hi Everyone, good long run & effort from Joe and Jools and some good long runs. 

Pretty average yesterday at Parliament Hill, started off quite well, thought that once the first lap was done I’d usually get going. But my team mate got past me and I just seemed to run out of a bit of energy during the second lap, each hill left my quads moaning. 

So the only excitement was chasing down a MK redway runner that I knew during the 2nd half of the last lap, to come in 156th. As usual, there were some funny old results that PH always throws up. Smashed by three guys that I beat at the Southerns in Oxford..once again goes to show what happens when you stop proper xc training!!

So not entirely surprising, but a bit disappointing, especially as the course was quite benign. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Seems a good result from here Simon.

The Southern champs is the only XC I feel like having a go at.
    Nine miles across mud!

I've trained two hours plus across such stuff so nine miles of it holds no fear for me.

Just have to actually turn up one year. Next time perhaps. 

🙂

• Options
    Pete - decent weekends work there. Can't believe there are serious people racing in headphones. Just really can't see what benefit it would bring. Think I'm going to get myself a pair of VF's.

Simon - completely failed to spot you. My bad. Really enjoyed watching though, the standard at the front was insane. No idea how they move so fast over that terrain. 

SG - to be fair, it is a pretty fast course. Certainly not a Dulwich/Burgess, as the turns are narrow and twisty and there's an awful little 'chicane' on each lap. The biggest problem is lap 3 and trying to get past the masses. They move left as you move left and you end up just running into a dead end. Trending upwards, and nice to be back in the 17's. 

The sobering thought I've had though, is that pace on Saturday is identical to half-marathon PB pace. Still got a fairly hefty hill to climb. 

3 hours on the turbo on sunday followed by a 10km run. Things certainly feel like they're starting to come together. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - rare you class one as average, so has to be the law of erm, averages there!

Joe - there's no vacancy for chief blagger on here I'm afraid, I'm expecting a big Wokingham for you for sure, I've clocked those long runs and paces you cruise out! Hard to reach critical velocity in a parkrun casual run out!

Left a little late today, so i thought I might cut my obligatory Monday 6&4 into a 5.5 and 4.5 for time reasons.
    Out to Slough town centre and back the Jubilee River way I thought.

I've done this a few times now, but managed to accidentally turn around and go the wrong way, ending up where I'd started, 10-15mins later!

The Jubilee River problem is that from Slough direction, two paths snake off, so it's not as easy as "keep the river on your left". Before you know it, you've allowed yourself to be diverted, and despite thinking you're still following it in the wrong direction, you aint, and you've got back to where you started! Arse!

Instead of doing the guaranteed 2.5miles back the way I'd originally started through Slough town centre, I thought i'd have a little wander through the finest town in Berkshire...Chavley!

Managed to emerge at a massively busy dual carriage way, and for some reason thought going down towards what was obviously a massively busy motorway type junction was sensible, so wasted even more minutes coming back, crossing over, and long long story slightly less long..

erm 7miles.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Having some fun padding out my PO10 back catalogue.
    Luckily I kept a lot of copies of results from circa 2006, so now they've disappeared from whatever club's site, I can get them added via this.
    Lovely.

Just a shame Wycombe/Marlow/Burnham Beeches halfs seem not to be PO10 between 2002-2010 or so, as that takes a massive amount away.
  • Options
    SG - sounds like a decent adventure for a Monday morning. At least that means less miles this evening! Although 3 hardly even seems worth it. Not sure how to approach Wokingham yet. Would like a confidence boosting sub 1:20, with a view to absolutely rinsing myself at Reading the following month. Not sure I'll be in that shape though. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'll still do 4 at lunch joe and bank the extra one for the snow days!

Just start on the sg and reg train at wokey and we'll see what happens
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice double there Pete, feel like I've said that a few times over the years. Those seem right at the sharper end for you and I am sure it's not all the shoes.

Good long runs too SG/Bus. I keep intending to do Parliament Hill but bigger fish to fry this year. Thankfully my tri club has now gained UKA status so I can be eligible for all this stuff now without joining a second club. Maybe see you there next year, SC.

Classic Joe here with the Wokey predictions. I am normally close and just shy of my predictions Joe is always faster and I am fairly sure he has enough sand to start a private beach somewhere. Sub 1:20 :D

I binned Sunday's run, wind looked horrible and I felt fatigued on Saturday. Instead I did this week's long run today, bit early but there's an MLR too for the weekend and I will have the option to do the final XC this way. 16.25 miles @ 6:57, average. I was starting to feel a little tired during the last mile  but then I realised it was into a cold wind, uphill and I was 3 miles over the race distance, which made me feel better.
  • Options
    Oh and Jools, 10m CD run :D
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Must have been very cool at the end of that CD :wink:

Good work Reg - nice confidence booster.

Simon - like Ric says - looks good from here!!!

Joe - you can do sub 1:20 smoking a cigar (which would actually complement the flat cap nicely!)

Got quite a few to add to Po10 pre-2008, but never get round to it other than halves and marathons.  

Alan Roberts Po10 is the one to look at - jeez Louise! 
  • Options
    Very good lads, got a chuckle from me at work. However, one of those stupid race predictor things gives me a 1:22 for a 17:54 5km so I know there's still work to be done. At the current time of speaking, I'm not the runner I was 18 months ago. I'll keep the hard work going. Proof will be in the pudding I guess, later on in the Spring (hopefully we can all revisit this statement and all laugh at me). 

Nice longer effort there Reg, very decent pace. 
  • Options
    I'll have a proper catch up later on but Joe I ran 1.22.50 and I cant break 18m for 5k at peak fitness! I definitely could have ran sub 1.22 that day as well if Id have pushed on earlier. You'll be well under that
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yep Joe, I played the "sub 1hr 20" card last year, and I at least had the utter breakdown misery story from my previous one as a mental barrier!

Make sure you get to the start line Reg! You have unfinished business with the half marathon!

Bus, I've weasled 124 races onto PO10 now, as they've approved the 8 I added between 2006-2008 with spreadsheets and missing performance forms:) )

So about 100 or so missing, many of which won't get on there.
    . But I'll have another crack when they've recovered from today's mass upoad!
    The 2006 XCs needs adding for starters. I dare say they won't even have them on PO10, but we'll sort that.

It helps that I found out a pal from years back works for them, but only for another month - so that's my window ;)

Bus, you have 188, although you've padded that out with about 50 Wycombe parkruns

Alan Roberts, 1,058 performances! Blooming heck. And another 50 or so he's written in as "notable".
    He bloody loves a turnout!
    An utter animal looking at the details, around 30 half marathons over the last 4 years, 4-5 marathons, 15milers, tonnes of XC. Not just padding it with short stuff.
  • Options
    Bus, I read somewhere it was the same course, different organisers.
  • Options
    Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Oh, and since I've not been around that long, you ch(aps/umps)  may not be aware that I'm the reigning Wokingham Half champ. Took the team competition last year by a huge 12 seconds. Got an engraved brandy glass and cashed cheque to prove it. Looks like SG just missed out on the podium.

http://www.wokinghamhalfmarathon.co.uk/ResultsMensTeamsWokinghamHM2018.pdf
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    He does indeed SG - virtually every distance covered too!

Thanks Reg.  Was wondering about the bit where the new housing estate has been built...

Joe - I'd done four sub 1:20 halves, including a 1:18:46 before I finally broke sub 18 for 5k (and even then it was only a few seconds under!) so I'd put money on you being well under given that you do plenty of very long runs too!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Joe nice team win.
    Is that awarded on the day these days?
    We won it at sandhurst once. Great.
    Less great was having to pick it up at some ceremony in wokingham on a monday night weeks later. Clashing with the Manchester derby! Arghh.
    Will have to see if ive still got thr trophy. I must have. I love all that
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just had a look at my Po10: I have 623 performances listed on there!
    2010: 2 marathons
    2011: 11  Joined a club & started parkrunning mid way through the year  :D
    2012-18: about 75 per year though fell races stopped appearing from 2014 ;)

• Options
    Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Bus. Alan Roberts is the guy with the tache isn't he? Nice bloke, always have a laugh as I e seen him in Arhus, Malaga and various places round here. 'You following me?' Type japes.  

Look forward to it Reg. Always good to see folk breaking their PH virginity 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Must be a social media thing all this retrospective history gathering. 
    I've all mine written down since 1976 with pictures (and film) from before then.

Not quite in the Ron Hill diary bracket though. Just the odd line here and there to act as a reminder. 

Nice to have a hard copy of things, though this thread isn't part of that deal.

🙂

• Options
    SG - wasn't awarded on the day, luckily they offered to send them out to us, so we didn't have to come back midweek for the awards you mentioned, which I think was the case in the past! Hard to believe there was 1 second between us last year - where was your sprint finish lad. I think the tables will be well and truly turned this year.

Appreciate the backing re; sub 1:20. Will see where I'm at in a few weeks time. 

With SG's wise words ringing around my head and the weather in mind, decided to shift my run session forward to this morning, and do both bike sessions later in the week. Club track this week is 8x800 with 90s recovery so decided to just go with that.

Went down with a mate who's got some serious wheels. Both kicked off with a sluggish 2:49, and then I clocked every one after that in 2:45. Not my finest session, and just never really felt like I got going properly. He closed out with a 2:35 and 2:34! All good training.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It was a funny one at Wokingham last year JB. You probably weren't a lurker at the time, but I was coming in with a right old mental barrier, as my last one was almost 3 years before, I'd ended utterly ruined, medical tent job, and it took a year before numerous heart tests went from "this don't look at all right" to "no cause for concern"

Therefore, I kept a fairly consistent sort of pace, rather than the old style out hard and hold on which I think you employed!!

I'm not certain you were even in the same race as me until about the last 1/4mile, so by the time I saw you, the last thing i was going to do was try and ruin myself to beat a guy I didn't know :):D

I wonder if we might share more of the race this year. Hard to tell with the longer stuff.

Decent enough reps, certainly not peak time of year for maxing out in this weather!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    As for me, I realised I haven't done a tempo for a while. One 6mile threshold a few weeks back, I'd loosely classed last weekend's XC as one too..

Today, I fancied something ending harder than it started.
    Therefore, decided upon a 5mile tempo, with 4miles at continuous threshold pace (6ish), and then ramping up. Left that bit vague...

Freezing cold, 2 layer, gloves job, overhead earphones, to avoid the irritation of the in ear ones falling out every so often...

Pretty much got the first 16 laps in 1.29/1.30ing (bar a too fast first couple) , and then ramped up to 1.27/1.28 for the last 4.
    Back to my slightly pointless adding the extra metres to make it a full mileage too..
    Actually came out a dead 30:00 for 5miles (ignore the strava not immedo stopped watch)

Decent run out. Had a nice sit down after, before the obligatory mad dash to get into work vaguely near 9!
  • Options
    Yeah I could only scrape 18.42 for parkrun on Saturday, then even worse on Sunday 19.42 for 5k round the reservoir. I'm going to have to downgrade my half ambitions too Joe ;)

Lots of good training everyone, with Reg and SG in a competition to see who can do their 15 mile long slow runs the fastest ;) There was no long run for me last week and while I could've taken a leaf out of Reg's book and done a Monday long run, my main reason for not doing it was feeling tired so I opted for rest. I may get more rest this week too if the snow has its way. That could clear the decks for a 10 mile freezing mudfest race on Sunday.

Pete - I know it has come up before and been met with denial, but I know from my own experience that a hard 5k then a hard 10k the next day won't give me my best 10k time (and probably not my best 5k either) - so the way I see it, the shoes have done you proud :)

ps. Dean, it was hardly a race but when you were dragging a man dressed as a nurse round Birmingham one year, I was ...err.. keeping my distance. So 2-0 to you there (also Robin Hood half same year...).
  • Options
    Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If you've known it was me SG, I'm sure you'd have found 2 seconds. I don't think we'll share much of the road this year, you'll be off ahead I reckon. Lovely session this morning, time for feet up and watch people moan about the snow!

Muddy - haha, I think we're coming from very different places mate. This is coming from you who has just recently run a 1:15 half? Not sure we're in the same postcode currently. You were probably running around a ploughed farmers field, whilst I was maxing out at the highest HR I've seen more months. It was a pretty full on effort. 
  • Options
    Blimey no Joe, I ran 1.17.31 in strong winds mid January (flat course though). I'm probably sub 1.17 shape in good conditions on an average course. Of course I jest, my perspective and parkrun times are slightly skewed by doing a couple of my biggest weeks of mileage post that half, while having a head cold for company.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Those pr and 5k times are therefore pretty irrelevant Muddy; you're clearly a sub 18 5k runner in normal circumstances and when at race pace not running a tempo to HR. I expect you, Joe and SG are all about 1'17 HM runners in decent conditions at the moment so shame you're not in Wokingham too to test that theory :)

Just had a quick look at Po10 to review the impact for me of running a hard pr the day before a 10k. I have done 13 10k's since 2016 of which 7 followed a hard parkrun and 6 didn't. Not a massive sample but probably enough for a decent indication. The average 10k time was 38'28 with a hard pr the day before and 38'37 without! The only one on a hilly course was after a hard pr so that adds further to the results. Not saying everyone would be the same, but a hard pr didn't seem to affect me, though admittedly it may well in future as age plays even more a part.  
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    As well as parkrun not being a flat out job for everyone, it's a strange slot, a Saturday morn to try and reach obliteration pace. Especially for me, as I've long enjoyed my one longer lie in of the week on a sat.
    That spell of 3 sessions a week certainly felt odd busting juice on a Sat morn!

At Wokingham, I have a few times used Sam A for a fair few miles, before motoring off late doors. The best year was obviously the 75:41 job. It wasn't even a particularly nice day, really rainy and i'm sure a bit of wind, yet held onto a group running just that little quicker than I'd ideally have liked, and it stayed together for probably 6miles or so. That is what you need really.