Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Reg - Good luck with the biking, isn't it a bit miserable in the winter trying to stay warm though? That would be my worry tbh

SG - They could always tweak the coverage a bit to keep us running geeks happy, but they never do. Makes me laugh how they big the GNR up, whereas it's pretty much hated in the running community :)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - it does seem a bit of a nightmare in many ways, 57,000 or so runners over 13.1miles sounds a right old cram.
    Tough to get into, nightmare with accommodation and travel, and apparently a hilly course too!

The GSR in comparison seems a lot better - easy to get into, flat course, and under a third entries.
    Similar issues that you mention with the coverage too - it wouldn't hurt to show a few scenes of the first 50-100 coming in.
    Though I'm sure myself and Bus wangled into the coverage for a split second as we finished in 2012 :)
  • Options
    I think it's the fact you have the records from 10 years ago more than anything  :D

I did the GNR once and wasn't impressed, dull route with nothing much to see but it fits the BBC agenda of representing the North, it's bad enough having presenters pronouncing everything wrong.

SC - My biking over the winter will be cycling to work and riding inside on the Wattbike, I will venture out when it's nice though on the weekends. You can get an awful lot of training with a couple of hours indoors compared to going outside.

• Options
    "a right old cram"  :D 
    Was that deliberate Mr C?

GSR also has the advantage of being 3.1M shorter!

Still thinking of getting a turbo trainer/Zwift type of thingy sorted for the winter. Just can't see the Mrs allowing me to put it in the lounge!

Day off today, and possibly tomorrow as well - my legs feel shot and would like to recover enough to make a good fist of the race on Sunday! May well do double bike instead
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dont watch races like GNR, i dont have a lot of time for the BBC bigging up Mo, in a race set up for him to win (again). I believe in Father Chrismas and Nessie more than i do in the folks at the top end of endurance sports. Shame really.
  • Options
    Maybe we could start an Olympics where you can dope as much you like, Olympeds or something. We could have the Transexual 800 metres, although I am not sure that one would be much different.

Would be interesting to actually see how much difference it makes though.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

These top guys really inspire some people, and I can see that to some extent.

But the last thing I want is to feel utterly pony in comparison - that's why I'm more concerned with how local level races go.

There's a tiny amount of names that if they ever were adjudged to have doped, and it seems a very fine line (Mo for instance admitting the use of something a few years ago that is now banned), then the whole elite sport would be finished.

Mo-Bolt and Paula Radcliffe probably.

The latter still holds the world record for the marathon 20 years on! I note a couple of runners who came closest had them struck off for doping.

There's other women's world records that have lasted huge length or longer have monumental doubt over them - the Chinese woman for 1500-5k, and Flo Jo?

Looking into it, there's quite a few records that have lasted 25-30 years! (well, as of a couple of years ago - not sure if any have gone since)

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/08/longest-standing-world-records-athletics/

You wonder how many of these were by truly magnificent one off stars, and how many were a little "cheeky"

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

And a follow up link about athletes who never tested positive, but have always had massive doubt over them.

The Flo Jo one is brilliantly put - times spiked by half a second over 100m-200m out of the blue, physique changed, and quit just before random tested was introduced!

https://www.outsideonline.com/2106836/most-famous-possibly-tainted-records-olympic-history

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Some salt reduction crew came into work today, offering Blood pressure tests.

Thought i might as well - now wish I hadn't.
    I usually come out on the high side, and have some family high readings,  but the first number was sky high today. 

3 hours or so post exercise, so that won't have affected it.

Not entirely sure it was the "relaxed" setting you'd get at a docs, in the open, not stopping chatting before about 20secs before, and i'm sure the pump slipped down a bit, but still best get it checked! 
    I also wonder if it was still calibrating, as the first one was even higher, so maybe a 3/4th reading would have been proper!)

Ho hum - best get a proper reading and see if I need to down the salt and caffeine!
    Certainly haven't got anywhere to go exercise increasing, drinking/smoking reduction wise!
  • Options

Flo-Jo also died of a heart attack too, classic steroids case, as it stays in the system for years afterwards, real Russian roulette. Paula wouldn't do it, we know the family and coach too, just wouldn't happen.

Reg - Indoor biking sounds sensible, watch TV at the same time?

On the canal again this morning, just 30 x 35 rather than the round 37 two weeks ago. Feeling good again, Adios feeling great and had the 2XU compression shorts on which are good in short reps (not so good doing long runs)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reading your first line after my last post gave me a shake for a second!!

But you should probs read up on flo jo.
    Epiletic seizure and a brain anomaly she was born with apparently rather than drugs related. As much as you could be forgiven for presuming that at 38!
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    What numbers are we talking, SG?

Get yourself a BP monitor (they're cheap as chips) and take a reading early in the morning. 'White coat syndrome' won't be a factor and you'll no doubt allay your worries.

The whole doping thing is a conumdrum as the dopers will always a few steps ahead of the testers - TUEs also muddy the water. I had a peak on TOR after watching that Netflix doc and the prices of these illicit substances aren't that prohibitive.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think ive prevo come out 140s for "white coat syndrome" but this was low 160s.
    So that's an immediate get a proper person to check job

Will see if they recommend a handheld one to buy.
    Daily "stresses" would otherwise be the only angle to reduce as diet and the rest are drilled down!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Onto doc. On the list to get a 24hr bp test. Wont be any errors or disclaimers with that, so fingers crossed it comes out less "colossal issue" level!

Wish i'd not bothered earlier! Curiosity killed the cat n that!
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Stevie G said:
    Onto doc. On the list to get a 24hr bp test. Wont be any errors or disclaimers with that, so fingers crossed it comes out less "colossal issue" level

That's good and I'm sure you'll be groovy.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    This is all a bit deja vu of summer 2015 to summer 2016, taking every test under the sun!

Fingers crossed it was a bad combo of shoddy conditions and unusual spike at that point in the day.

Obvs still got a 6&4 in today...albeit the 4 was 90seconds, 10min phone call, then the rest :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - wait for some proper tests to be done before you stress sbout it. Your local pharmacy will be able to do that, so no need to even go to the quacks, if it makes it easier.

Nice one on the reps Simon.

I did reps too, 20x3min/30 sec, so an Abo relevant leg breaker more than an aerobic test.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Yep deffo correct Tr.
    Will put this away til they call me for the 24hr job.

Nice reps.

Am looking forward to a 6.5m tempo tomorrow. Fartlek job to develop the threshold sessions.

Flexi but has to be continuous and has to start at threshold and work up. Easy or steady bits in between.
  • Options
    Echo all that SG - I did one at work and it came out sky high! A proper one a week later and all was absolutely fine - in fact the nurse said I was in rude health :smile: 

Double bike today. I hate my bike making noises, so was pleased that fitting new disc brake pads and spending some time tweaking them eliminated a very annoying rubbing noise when up out of the saddle. That is until the way home, when my SPD shoes decide they would start squeaking like tortured mice ina n echo chamber on every hill!!!

Bit of a moral quandary too. In the fading light, I was overtaken by a bloke and what appeared to be his son. They were drafting each other and belting along. Both were wearing dark clothes and only the youngster had a weirdly dim orange back light, whihc was obscured by the guy in black behind him. Under the trees they were practically invisible from behind. Having been reading today about a pedestrian hit by two cars just round the corner from me in similar circumstances, I was kinda sensitive to this. Strava flybys have told me who the guy is - should I comment on his ride even though it's not really any of my business? Not so much for his benefit, as if he doesn't have the sense to realise, then maybe it'd be doing the gene pool a favour, but what if something happened to the kid? And how much would it ruin someone's life if they unwittingly drove into the back of them and killed them?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Chuck a comment on. Then you've done all you can do.

Something more diplomatic then "wear something so you can be seen you shimmering nuckfut"
  • Options

Definitely stick a comment on Bus, only showing concern.

SG - Sorry yes didn't word that first line very well mate! I'm sure the BP test will come out OK.

TR - That's a hardcore session, so what sort of pace we talking, just to get the distance in job?

Did Alehouse mention 25th October as a possible LFOTM? I might be up for that.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Went and did the 6.5m fartlek then - Dorney Lake.

Initial plan was something neat like 1mile at Cont Thresh, HMP, Threshold rep and 10k or something off easy 1/2miles, doing 2 laps of the lake.

Tasted the wind on the warm up, and thought, this might need a bit of a tweak, as while I could prob get the first rep off into the wind, the faster paces that direction might be optimistic!

Therefore, panned out as so

1 mile  @cont threshhold/Mp  , 0.5m easy            6.03 pace (bit fast)
    1 mile @hmpb , 0.5m easy                                    5.56 pace
    0.75m @threshold rep pace, 0.75m easy               5.48 pace
    0.5m @ 10k pace, 0.5m easy                                 5.39 pace
    0.25m @5k, 0.25m easy                                        1.20 pace
    0.25m @5k , 0.25m easy                                       1.19 pace

First rep into the wind (and came out a bit sharp), the rest worked so that there facing the less windy direction!

Not a doss, but paces pretty much as you'd like, harder of course with easy pace in between rather than a stop, but longer recoveries than you'd normally have.
    Good to taste a little bit of 5k pace at the end!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - always mean to get one of those 5ks in, but I dare say on hold until 2020 now.
  • Options
    The Bus said:
    Echo all that SG - I did one at work and it came out sky high! A proper one a week later and all was absolutely fine - in fact the nurse said I was in rude health :smile: 

Same here. I had a check over by a Harley Street doctor (all to do with company death in service and the underwriters wanted to know I wasn't about to keel over leaving them with a big payout) and all was OK other than blood pressure so the doctor just went through a few relaxation exercises for 5 minutes and redid the measurements and all was OK. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ta Phil - I did yesterday google the symptoms of hypertension, which a 162 would definitely be the mixer for, and it's all stuff like severe headaches, chest pain, difficulty breathing (and we're not talking when pushing hard on runs - we're talking generally), blood in pee - pretty extreme stuff.

Haven't got any of that stuff - so I either mask it very well with the running fitness, or the test was duff!
  • Options
    Test was either duff, or just caught you at a bad moment! Mine was in the upper 160s I think!

Nice session that SG - some pretty sharp paces thrown in.

7M at lunch for me today. Jeez it felt hard! Possibly the bike miles fatiguing the legs, or possibly just what happens these days after 2 days of not running. Pace wasn't too bad, but the legs felt like they were concrete!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - dont start googling symptoms, before you know it youll have bubonic plague.

Simon - not sure, quicker than mp, possibly hmp ? Im with you on the Casio sundial. Its more of a leg breaker than aerobic. Its a Brett Sutton IM training session, so running on tired legs at a slowish pace.
  • Options
    Evening!
    Yes, SC, I have train tickets for the October LFoM...and for November's as well! Whether I will be running or not is a good question. Following the fracture to the sacrum have had all sorts of problems, not least the break causing the glutes not to fire properly, causing an imbalance and culminating in issues with the hamstrings. Probably some nerve damage as well. Was going quite well (on WAVA that is...77%) and was expecting to be close to 80% by October. Doubtful. All through being knocked over in Tesco. 

SG: football up north?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    That's not good Aley. Is the longer term prognosis a little more positive for you? Always said Tescos was trouble!!!

Humid today, and just looked for the morning - 96%! No point even to bother sweating then!
  • Options

Yep Bus - Luton track will be nice tonight, I just love a session in a warm wind!

Ale - I think I'll enter, might do a post in facebook to see if anyone else fancies it. Don't fancy that pub again after though, miserable bugger selling £5 pints!!