Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good news for you injureenos. Who is dropping out in the 45s Woolington?

6.46 for the 10 for the more usual Windsor hill route. (versus 6.41 the other way)

In fairness, the first 1.5miles and last half mile were pretty much the same, it's the other 8 that change.

A few more holdups this time, cows round a gate, people going through with bikes etc meaning I had to do a false little circle into rough then come back, and sneaking past on narrow bits etc.

So not sure it's worth 5 secs a mile this way. Probably slightly slower though, as you have the momentum killing 5-6 gates in the first half, and then take on the long progressive hills late on. Versus a sharper shorter hill early doors, and then long sweeping down to set you up. Still in the steady zone though, as planned.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Today's 10 was intended to be a little trip over to Hughenden Park, a big old "Proper" park that I've barely ever gone to. Potentially seeing if I could take a pal's hill seg on road into the bargain, while keeping in non session day effort level mode.

By pure random, the mate was coming down the hill just as I arrived there - talk about pure chance - so instead I shared a couple of miles with him through the park, and into random woody bits in little paths into woods you'd never notice without knowing them.

Obviously I got lost trying to recreate the route back out, ending in some crop field. Trudged up that a criminally slow pace and glad to reach a proper trail after.

Got back to the hill, but once glance and with a few miles of hilly offroad later, I had zero enthusiasm to get up there, so all in a 10 at about 740 or so.

Checked out the flybys for first time in ages, and it explained what some bloke and girl were doing on the Rye. A 3k time trial. The guy riskily undercutting some other girl out running on the narrow path next to the water. Then stopping fairly abruptly just as I was getting near.

Seems to do a 3k effort day in day out. Can't be optimal!

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Very quiet on here today.
    Back to back MT 10's with hills SG. You'll be one of us trail & hill monsters if you stay furloughed long enough  :p 
    Good to hear that eventually everybody is finding their feet again & the bench is vacant at last.
    Cracking 5K Reg Shame you cheated yourself of an honest time as it would appear you were actually in a far better position than you gave yourself credit for.
    Nice 7K TT Pete. Stick with the process so long as it's not giving you any impending injury concerns. 
    Not following a plan myself mind - just found out Snowdonia Marathon (end of Oct) have postponed to October 2021. Bit of a blow if I'm honest as with all my recent hill work & the almost daily MLRs I reckon I'm in the best shape I've been for tackling it. I'm not surprised really as it's in Wales which is being much more cautious about easing the lockdown & although 'only' 2,500 runners it attracts at least as many again to support which is a massive influx of people from all over the country in to a very small community. I can understand that the goodwill of the locals, which has always been one of the major attractions, could be lost in an instant & once gone it's very hard to recoup.
    So recap of last week. 8M easy on Friday, flat not-parkrun on Saturday. It was blowing a gale & I nearly binned it during the first couple of miles of the wu as I was working hard to stay inside 9 minute pace :o Turned round & was gliding along at well under 8 for less effort so threw in a few strides to open the hips up & round to the start. The course is mostly a bit more sheltered than my wu route being below the flood defence levee except for a 150m stretch on lap 1 & a 400m stretch on laps 2 & 3 where you run along it - into the wind! Went off & thought: "Bollox! No power" Stuck at it  & ran a very even paced 19:54. I say even paced but although the mile splits were even the 0.5K lap splits tell a different story: alternating between 1:56 & 2:01 depending on the wind. Cooled down with a steady couple of miles to tip me over the 10M for the session. Sunday I was short of time so ran a 4M hilly loop twice: 1st one easy & 2nd one hard. That took me to 85.5M for the week. Only just over 4,000ft of climb though.
    13.3 very hilly miles Monday at a very slow pace. Only 8M yesterday although I had intended to go out again later but other things got in the way. No harm in having an easier day. Best HR-pace run I've had since my comeback. Was intending to do 15M today but in the end I opted to throw in an extra loop down to & round the hilly Mallard's Pike parkrun course & run that as a tempo effort: 21:51. The last few miles were a slog after that as the parkrun effort took me to 13M. There was then 100' climb in mile 14 before a sharp drop of 270' in mile 15 then 4 miles of gradual climb rising 440' & getting progressively steeper. At least most of the final mile was DH & I was able to up the pace to finish strongly which was pleasing after 20M.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see Bus and wool creeping back to it.

I did the p and d 4m LT again today,,and improved last wks average 6.11 to 6.04, it was a bit progressive though as its undulating early on, but last week i was hanging on and today i pushed on so as not to be hanging on and ended with a 5.50ish. A bit of hard work is doing me good lately.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I dont usually do it but Hayling 10 in November is opening Aug 1st for entries following on from taking council and govt advice.
    Victory 5 say they are opening soon too. Gosport entries are still frozen.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cracking run there TR and exciting news there too!
    I suppose no-one can judge whether this much feared second wave is going to happen, but anything suggesting racing being an option again is superb.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    If/when it comes, no doubt it'll be just at the wrong time when things should be getting back to normal...

Jools - damn shame about Snowdon marathon, as I can't see how you could be in better shape for it!  To be fair, for many its good they have taken the decision early though. Maybe a long,  but relatively runnable, fell race instead to take advantage? Something like the Yorkshireman Off-Road Marathon in September (3400 ft of ascent....). 

TR - that's a very good place to be for sure!

Hughenden park is great for running SG - loads of trails and all very scenic. All but two of my runs since lockdown have taken me there! I was there tonight, and went past the thorn event point - right next to the field you did a big loop of!!!  Definitely need to give you some map reading lessons :smile:

So, 8.2M hilly off-road tonight, mainly in the rain. Happy enough, as it's the longest for a while, and other than the legs having a general grumble for the first few miles, it was all OK, and I could barely even feel the foot issue even at the end.  Touching wood....
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Oooh races!  :o   Could be very tempting. Maybe having a 5 in the calendar could really keep me going. The idea of longer races really scares me at the moment but perhaps that's a reflection on the type of (lack of?!) training I've been doing.

Nice pace on the LT run there TR and good to see that you're back out and about Bus. Fingers crossed for you. I was thinking that I might go back and run past the scene of my fall but it really turned my stomach so decided not to!

Jools - the news on Snowdonia was on our club FB site the other day. You know how much I hated doing that race and so I was going to write some sarcy comment. Then I thought about that fact that some folks will have been specifically targeting that event, planning time away around it etc and thankfully stopped myself. Sorry it came as such a blow. Maybe, just maybe there will be some other races we can set our sights on before year end.

I'd got the dates of the BMAF virtual relays event wrong in my mind (14-20th, not 10-14th, doh) so I may have a shot at getting a time in after all. Thought I;'d better turn the legs over a bit quicker to test them out and did 7*3 mins off 90s this morning. Felt quite ill at the end of them so must have done something right. No lady to come to my aid this morning but some big old fat bloke wandered over to tell me how fast I was. Who needs races and medals when you can get that kinda adulation?  B)
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Epic stuff Jools, I don't feel like my 5k was a waste, I'd like to build towards a shot at sub 16 if I can stay injury free, so the idea was to make it seem possible by at least running a fair bit under 17 first. 

Nice LT run TR, I always struggled to hit the paces when I tried P&D.

Good to see you slowly getting back into the swing of it Bus, good chance you will bump into SG on one of your hilly off-road runs these days.

After a short recovery run on Tuesday I was planning on running yesterday so warmed up by running with the girls on their bike ride but I failed to appreciate how fast they went down the hills. So 2 miles of fartlek left me with a groin niggle. Felt better this morning so trudged out 10 easy miles before breakfast.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Good to read that all seems well on here and even Bus is reporting a long off road hilly run causing no issues ;) Smart turnouts from Wool, TR, SG and, of course, Jools too.

Interesting to hear news from TR that some races are opening for entries but will keep my powder dry for now as a) they may well be called off anyway later on and b) there will so many races if it is all on again it won't be an issue at all to find something suitable at short notice.

Was the latest sesh of my 10k programme yesterday. Set as 4k at 'tempo' then 4 min recovery, followed by 4x1k at 10k race pace off 2 mins. Did them on Ascot track again and made life easier by starting by the grandstand to give more downhill than up! 3 of the 4 reps were predominantly downhill and a net descent on the 4k too. 4k came out 15'30 so 3'53 av and the 1k's were 3'34, 3'54, 3'41, 3'41, so faster than 10k pace, but probs about right given the downhill bias. Overall felt a bit easier than Saturday's 7k TT, but suppose it was meant to!

Next up is Saturday; 5x1.5k off 2 mins at the 7k TT pace from last Sat. That sounds tough. Having to take other runs very slowly at the moment to try and recover from these faster efforts, so doing these with my daughter, which would be quite nice if she'd ever bother talking to me on them ;) 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

You could at least convert that into mile pace Pete old son :D

But it does sound like you're finding your feet. And you are right - no rush to enter anything this early, although if some high priority race that generally sells out opened, that might be another story.

Wool - take the recognition.

Reg - that missing ingredient, fear!

Bus - i'd imagine offroad stuff ensures grumbles every so often! I just find it totally kills any momentum.

Today I had a short version of one of these courses, just a 1hour seminar, on "change" in a project.

Then fairly unmotivated went out for a 10, casually thinking I'd try and aquire a seg or two on hills at casual effort.

There's one hill that's 150 feet over 1/4mile. That's probably steeper than I gave it credit for to be honest, as I got to the top, even at moderate effort absolutely steaming, HR racing into oblivion. Had to go down on my haunches for a bit.

Had a little gentle wander in and around the local roads for a bit, and thought i'd have a stronger go back, a bit quicker on the more runnable first half, and same result.

There's another seg that goes into an offroad spell of another 50 feet climb for about 0.12miles further, and I must admit I bottled that right off.

Took about 1.5miles for the HR to feel normal again, so just wandered about, then considered some 0.7miler needing a 8.45 pace. At about 10min miling on the offroad climb about 50metres in I sacked that right off son :D

Looked later, and I'd missed the CR by 1 second on go number 1, so just as well number 2 was a bit stronger! It's funny, this guy I mentioned weeks back had set up a bunch of what looked like shockingly slow hill segs - but this one (and the longer one) certainly aren't as soft as they first looked!)

Awaiting to hear whether furlough is into July...and now have the news that it might be a permanent unpaid furlough for many of us! But still a chance of being back at work in July. So this is going to be a very interesting and confusing few weeks ahead!

Still - seg fest Friday tomorrow...every cloud (and yes I have been listening to the Office podcasts still - in a way)

Considering another tour of a random area.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Competitive to the last Reg :wink:

You need a second hobby SG :smiley: (or football back!!!) It's the variation that makes me like off-road so much, but also like a nice even paced road run every now and again!

Cracking session Pete - not envious of you having to do another one on Saturday!

On the basis of trying to only run every other day for a while I was supposed to be on the bike tonight, but work is crazy at the moment and I just ran out of time, so ended up for a dash out the door for a run. All OK, if pretty heavy legged, but only time for 5.7M at a very easy pace.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Pete - is this actually 3 sessions a week then? A sort of go hard on effort, low on mileage job? 

Didn't get on with such a plan myself, it's amazing how little 50miles a week takes you.

Proper seg bashing is good varied fun. And no worse than a "Proper" sessions I'm sure. But hill segs are just a world of pain I think.

Footy is back next Thur, and I spy a £34 Now TV deal which bags you 11 sky sports channels!

Normally that'd be moderate value, but from mid June - July, there will be 15 play off games (including minimum 2 for Wycombe, hopefully 3!), and a choice of about 30-40 Premier league games!

Even I might scrape the coins out for this!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just the 2 sessions a week SG; Wed and Sat. That's enough! His total programme is not exactly low mileage either; min 40 a week, more if you want it (Sun is 9 min but no max!). He has running 6 days a week, but luckily 4 are at easy pace. I will prob knock that down to 5 this week as can't get the cycling in I want if I run that often. 

Big miles for you Reg; good to see it. Promising 2 runs in 2 days and still fine Bus🙂. Nice segging again SG. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah my mistake Pete - probs overlooking the key word of "yesterday" in your report! Making me think it was a Tue-Thur-Sat job, and also Sat I suppose not being a classic effort day if you "only" do 2 session weeks.

I suppose you have to manage the run days versus not that long ago where you weren't doing much running, due to lockdown and using cycling with your daughter a lot.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    More good news Bus - hopefully we can all start to forget about the blackthorn incident & you can get back to a sustained period of running.
    Sounds like another decent session Pete.
    Hope July goes the right way for you SG. Nice varied 10.
    I did a nice easy 13.1 on the Forest fire trails mostly following the local Autumn HM route. Bit stiff to start & had the novelty of getting rained on too but soon settled in to an easy paced low HR trot. A few undulations but not much over 900' in all.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all - In reports week plus had to go into London on weds and pick up the new laptop, so not been popping in.

Hughenden Pk SG - run a few Beds/Bucks xc champs there! Sensible with the Hoka's Wool! I'm certainly not going to help HHH's quest for V45 glory tbh in the virtual 5K. Perhaps get a team in the southern masters xc at Oxford in December?

Good running all, I seem to be the runt of the litter at the moment, feel it anyway! After saying my hammy was great Sunday I just did a little 5 miler Monday, then 10 x 600 on the grass over the road on Tuesday, which felt horrible. So then popped put early to get a quick 9 in before London and it felt really tight....when you know you shouldn't really be running on it, but you carry on anyway.

That's been it really. Might do a 5k TT saturday, in readiness for the proper TT next Saturday. Can't see me getting under 17 at the moment. Hitting the plank style hip flexor reps to try and sort the leg out. This and the non run commute is killing me, although i'm in one day a week from next week.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Good to see a laptop user for this site Simon - bet that gets rarer with time! Hope the niggle sorts itself out quick smart.

Seg Friday tour moved to Maidehead today - with base camp at Braywick Park. Was surprised to see a golf club opposite, never knew that despite countless races here.

Real mix today - best stuff was sub 5 short action. Put a 4.37 0.25miler in for one flat seg, and a couple of other sub 5s elsewhere that ranged from small to fairly decent downs.

Two other strong flat 0.25milers that would have been nearer the 4.37 in quality were farcically on the wrong bit of a route, so didn't trigger the seg - have to laugh!

Tough bits were the hill sprints. This one hill was only 0.09miler but had 19feet of climb and needed 5.03. Way too much for me today, and I could only produce 5.46, 4seconds off the pace. Bizarrely my slower mate I ran with the other day has a 3second faster time there! Work needed!

Managed to get a few other segs wrong too - my mate mentioned above continues to live a charmed life! His 5.20 on a flat 0.25miler is achingly gagging to be destroyed. But again I managed to do the effort from where it ends, storming down towards the station like a loon, round the bend and down on haunches, for utterly no benefit :D

Silliest bit was my attempt to find the golf course segs - each direction, about 0.3miles. Ludicrously thinking that it'd be a nice clear path to follow!

Probably a little casual about the surroundings, for one, having seen a guy with kids and a dog on there, and also it being raining making me think that golf is one of those noncy sports that rain halts play, right? Wrong - not at amateur level!

A geezer waving at me while I was wandering around didn't alert me, and a ball smashed down about 5 metres away. Friggg!!!
    Quickly got out of dodge, only to be stopped by some big boy in a buggy. For some reason, maybe mistaking him being sat in a buggy as somehow making him some sort of golf club course sheriff, or maybe still feeling a bit of residual guilt for shouting at some course blocking woman 3 weeks ago, I stopped and tail between legs explained how I'm a bit lost, as being an easier sell than saying i'd specifically come on the course looking for a seg :D

Where were you going said matey, as if he expected me to say Hole Number 7 please, and he took a min or two to point me in a straight line, the direction I was already going. Nice.

But all in, despite the rain kicking in, was a fun time had by all, 12miles, about 10-12 efforts at various paces and distances, and something different for this weird time we're in.

Took 4 segs, but oddly I think only the non hidden ones show to public view - could be wrong on that, maybe only subscribers see them in their runs, or on other peoples? They show in your KOM pot which is all that really matters - if even that does :D
    And it's odd one counted as "Hidden" anyway, being easily findable on the map? Bizarre,

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SG the hidden ones are just relegated from view on the basis that nobody runs them very often! That’s a fairly nondescript area to go segment hunting 😂 Maybe us locals should all nominate you a segment to go for, as a kind of treasure hunt?

Those sessions sound pretty tough Pete, I trust that calf that was stopping you running for good is up to the strain?

SC hardly the runt of the litter, one day probably shouldn’t be running on this hammy but I may do a 5k TT on the weekend 😀

Yesterday I did a Zwift race in the evening. Flat two lapper with a small hill where it all kicks off for a minute or so. First time round I was caught out a bit but managed to get back on the the front group just. Second time round I made sure I was in the front of the front pack up the hill the. Stayed well placed up to the final sprint, I found myself at the front with less than a Km to go so to avoid getting caught by the sprint I wound it up a bit so as to reduce the potential speed differential when they attacked behind me. Worked well and I was able to react and stay with them. Engaged full sprint with 200 metres to go hitting 900 watts and it looks like enough to hold them off  but as I Went to push again my shoe unclipped and I’m down to zero watts! Clipped back in and I’m able to hold 5th but finish 2 seconds behind the winner. Shame as I think I would have won it 😬

Also did a bit of segment work tonight. I actually lost my segment along the train line to a human runner and not a commuter  on the train the other day. So I finished a little 4 miler with strides tonight on this downhill short segment 2.8% gradient managed to get it back by 1 seconds at 4:21 pace, let’s see if he has a go back 😄 This one could go sub 4 as he looks a decent runner!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Who thought lockdown could be so much fun then :smiley:  All good stuff, and definitely useful training as well as entertaining - both doing it and reading about it! I'm not telling SG where any of my segments are though (assuming any are still left - had loads of those dreaded emails recently!).  And 900 watts! Bloody hell Reg! Not surprised your foot parted from the pedal under that stress!

Simon - I'm in no position to preach, but you know what needs to be done to sort this one out (and that probably doesn't include a 5k TT!).

And yes Jools, hopefully no more mention for a while :wink:

Probably pushing my luck a bit tonight, but anther full on day of work and the crap weather conspired to send me out for a third run in a row instead of a bike ride. Surprisingly OK, if slow, though my left quad gave me some serious gyp on a big downhill, so need to keep an eye on that. Current intention is for a bike ride tomorrow and, if the quad is OK, maybe look to go double figures on Sunday - we'll see!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Would have to be an area rather than a particular seg as we all have our limits! You know by the look of one if you have a chance or not! 

Can be a lotto though. How the 5.20 quarter miler on a fairly central street is still in tact with 1,000 runs on it, in an area where Corney circulates fairly often, yet similar length way lesser run ones are booted down to low 4s!

Hidden ones i thought just don't show on the map. You either find them by accident or through sniffing through someone's KOMs 😄
    Today i had one that is on the map yet in the hidden part. Unusual.

Well done on the 1sec recovery. That's perfectly played. Just the right margin. Worst is thinking you've bagged it as you get the crown on your run, but checking and seeing it's "just" equaling it which doesn't count in your stable.

(Felt a right bastad pointing that out to a young club mate who'd been absolutely busting his beans to get one and hadna sweary outbreak of celebration once he acheived it ...but hadn't)

Not quite enough of a bast to go and Nick it so he gets a surprise next attempt😄💩
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bus i like my segs flat..i wouldn't dare take on some of your mad offroad hill stuff.

It might have been one of yours up to the mausoleum once that only needed about 11min miling for a tiny distance but i had to stop and die midway😄

If that route i took the other day is similar to some of your routes there's a heck of a lot of trippable stuff in there!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Take care Simon; echo Bus' comment; a TT can happily wait a week and not as though there are any pressing proper races. Still, for someone like yourself who historically has been almost never injured must be doubly frustrating.

SG; entertaining "seging"; getting more lengthy (but still enjoyable ;)) reads than your old race reports!

Bus: Sound like you are well on the road back now; great news that. 

Wool: Nice to see you recovered enough for a faster session; hope the virtual is still a "goer" now.

Jools; Only 900' in 13m? Come on. You aren't allowed to post details of long runs with under 2% average elevation ;)

Reg: Crazily impressive cycling but used to that from you. Didn't realize the short distance running pace you had too; even talk of 4mm pace is scary.

Re your comments Reg yes I am concerned about the possible impact of this programme on my dodgy calf (calves) that plagued me for nearly 6 months last year; if it gets too much or pain starts I'll bin it rapidly. Physio (big friend of my wife, so see her fairly often) still adamant I should not be running any more, or at least not running fast, which is a worry. Have decided to go with it for now though on the grounds there are no races, so if I do get injured again at least I won't miss anything much.

So to today's 2nd sesh of the week; was 5*1.5k off 2 mins. Great running conditions and on a flat tarmac course again. Didn't get exact rep times as had my watch just set to k's, but each k was in the range 3'43-3'48 apart from the 1st that was a bit faster (3'36). Overall was 27'56 for 7.5k worth of reps so happy with that. Even happier that there is no more fast running till Wednesday though, as rep 5 in particular felt very tough and couldn't have done another anywhere that pace. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Sounds like you're getting into the swing of things now Pete, even with the classic first rep too fast. Need to take that auto split off for the full rep recording though - textbook :)

Difficult balancing act in a way for you - trying to push on and develop and do something new - which to be applauded - versus the nag of someone you respect so much!

Here's to it continuing for a long time yet, and to seeing you through to the return of racing!

Upon which I just took a look at Nice Work's fb page. These are the guys who run loads of their own races across the south coast and Kent in the main, but also all over. They also have partnerships with certain events - like I note the Victory 5, a 70+ year history race comes under them now.

Anyway, they're running the Spitfire 10k, but virtually. Still costs £20+ though! Get t shirts and stuff etc. I can see people like virtual stuff, even if personally I don't really get it as much myself, but to pay to do that too?!

Would have been Endure 24 this weekend, and while our fast lads couldn't get a team, I dare say I'd have weasled in somewhere. So glad I got to get the full experience last year, and fingers crossed for 2021!

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Didn't do the 5k TT in the end :) Jogged around Aylesbury PR in 28 odd with the kid and missus, saw a couple of LBAC clubmates also checking the course for next week. Ran back and got oicked up at the end of Ayesbury, doing 10 x 60 secs in the process - leg not too bad.

But now my Coccyx is tender (no sniggering) - probably too many hip flexor plank things. So that's the next thing to sod off! Bit uncomfortable sitting down, sadly..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Is a hip flexor plank one of those ones on your side on one arm?

I can visualise a normal plank, and a normal hip flexor stretch (one of those stretches i very rarely do in fairness), but not quite a mix of the two unless it is the side on plank.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey Simon -a re you trying to take over my mantel for bizarre injuries?!

Pete - solid session as the second one of the week.

Bit weird to pay for a virtual race, but I suppose the organisers are wanting to try and cover as much of their costs as possible so fair play I suppose.  How would a virtual 24 hour relay work then?

I did a long run today :smile: Not long-long, but longest since mid April.  Bit of OCD kicking in to keep things tough too. I needed 11.5M for bike+run total of 100M (aim 1) and 12.5M for 40M running, which I thought might be pushing it!  In the end managed to hold on for the 12.5M. Knackered, but no real niggles anywhere so looks like that one is over with at least!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - hope its a minor issue.

Pete - id say stick at it, but dont worry too much about hitting specific paces, just do what feels right on the day.

Bus - got to be happy with that run then, that's a big improvement.

I was talking to a guy who is involved with track races and his lad is involved too. He thinks track racing will be back soon, with folks just arriving on track warmed up and then 2m distance again outside of race.

P and D 8m mp in long run yday, i did 8m last week, so upped it to 10 yday by putting 2m more in the middle of last qks 8m route, av dropped from last wks 6.35 to 6.38, but i was holding 6.30s on the flat ~6 miles in the middle, which is 2.50ish pace. 18m in total, 8m easy today.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Usual 15 today. Out to Marlow then back into Flackwell via the probably not far under 2mile or so Sheepridge Lane which you keep safe by doing on offroad paths on the sides.
    Probs still climbs 200feet after a gentle start but doesn't feel as much due to the varied underfoot.

Reclaimed a cheeky 200m seg earlier on. Just a bit of gas on the downhill job.

Felt pretty muggy from the off and shirt was well off before reaching Marlow. Calf quite tight near the end. Maybe a bit of dehydration causing that as well as the mileage of the last few weeks.

On another note i saw on www.runwales.com (you have to search around a bit to find the downloadable rules) that they have written rules for races in the covid period.

2sec staggering
    2m disto in start pens
    Sanitiser pre and after toilets
    Only overtake when safe distance
    No hanging about at finish or contact
    Facemasks if going near the outdoor race hq
    Noone to go near the start til 30mins before start.

Interesting as wales is a bit behind England's release of restrictions.

But it must be promising for races re starting if they're bothering to issue those rules now!

Just realised the above didn't post...so ill amend by saying that's a positive step there Bus.

Virtual relays just have to work off set time slots rather than awaiting someone back. Imagine how awkward that would be otherwise. Awaiting a strava post or text. Rubbish!

One day course tomorrow. Number 6. Just Word, which is one of those we all think we know but i dare say noone has ever done a course on. Expecting it to be a lot easier than VBA to say the least.

And if the chop comes v soon which from recent communications is a real risk doing all this extra can only be in my favour..probably still needing to see another 15-20 years out minimum somewhere 😙

Second edit to say nice longun again from TR.
    And that track comment with my Welsh race one seems to point to things coming back soonish....hopefully!

Id even entertain one of those mad Jubilee River "king of the castle" races. Limited to 50 over a 1.75mile or so stretch, then up and down for as many goes as you like in 6 hours!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It was very humid today for sure!
    Nice long runs chaps. TR - losing just a couple of secs whilst adding a couple of miles is a fair exchange, and again, a high quality long one. 

I went through Marlo High St yesterday and given how the throngs were almost completely ignoring any form of social distancing or the one-way stickers on the ground any guidance for races seems somewhat pointless.

SG - have you tried that run up Winchbottom Lane instead of Sheepridge?  Much quieter. If you take the dead end road just past the turn up the last part of the hill, it takes you to the top of that Bridleway that runs down close to your house.  You must have been lost around there at some point :wink: