Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Light rain ~5degC. 8kts NNW gusting 15kts increasing to 10kts NW gusting 19kts.

The wind may help on the way out. If the wind backs and increases as forecast then it will be more crosswind on the home leg, finishing in to wind.

Too far away for an accurate forecast.

• Options

It's always cold wet and breezy at Wokingham, or at least 2 out of the 3 image

So what's the full list of racers for Sunday?

SG, Me, Johnas, Iron cat, Dachs, Ric anyone I've missed?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep Bus, not quite the easy paced run I was expecting, but I let you have your wicked way!

It'll no doubt be the classic Wokingham scenario. Cold and overcast in general, and then windy on the last 3miles back in.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

It's always cold wet and breezy at Wokingham, or at least 2 out of the 3 image

So what's the full list of racers for Sunday?

SG, Me, Johnas, Iron cat, Dachs, Ric anyone I've missed?

Crispy (PC) and DT2 as well. Although as they'll be in their own race ahead of us lot, I'm happy to leave them off image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

These days I have absolutely no inclination to race in adverse conditions.

So unless Sunday loses the rain I'm out.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

adverse would be gales and monsoons Ric, surely you don't just mean a shower or 2 image

• Options
    Metfail...the wind is blowing NNW to NW, so it is SSE to SE wind.

I'm not in for Woky. It was suggested I focus on speed rather than distance, though I kind of wish I had entered now...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well if it's wet or windy Ric knows of a spare place...image

• Options
    A fast pair of shoes to fill......
  • Options

That'd be a shame Ric - will play havoc with my pacing strategy if you're not there image

Surely after Marlow, anything will seem like pleasant conditions anyway image

SG - there's something about those Adios that just beg to go faster imageimage

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A race at this time of year is for me dependant on conditions.

For a HM I'm going all out for 13 miles. Under normal circumstances the only thing to contend with is the sustained effort, level of gradients and the corners. That's enough for me.

I didn't enter the Wokingham HM because it was the Wokingham HM. I entered it because I wanted a chance at a fast time. Freezing rain and wind will put pay to that so I'll give it a miss. Unless.

No interest in 'tough guy' activities.

At least at Marlow the rain stopped.

🙂

• Options

Fair enough. Not sure rain (unless really heavy) will affect times too much, but a stiff breeze certainly will. I'm sure the wind in 2011 cost me a sub 1:19 there....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, just how bad are you expecting Sunday to be exactly?! image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

BBC weather is currently predicting 9-10mph winds on Sunday.  Not exactly going to blow us off our feet.  Of course, much can change between now and then.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ric, just how bad are you expecting Sunday to be exactly?! image

/members/images/493151/Gallery/rain3.png

Like this, only colder, windier and four times further.

Its the low temperature with the rain. I've had a brush with exposure once. And once is enough.

🙂

• Options

Que sera, sera...

Besides,  5 days out, whatever the BCC forecast says usually ends up being the complete opposite of what actually happens!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I think we may be in danger of falling into soft southerner stereotype here.

• Options

Cross post - I'd agree you wouldn't want to risk that again Ric. Presu,ably not a final choice until the day before though?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My mothers from Yorkshire, so not quite your typical southerner. But if that rain clears then its probably onimage

All current training is geared towards Sunday. Only 4 miles today, mostly fast.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i hope you haven't wasted your week then if rain will put you off!

presume you didn't ever do most of the XCs then? As they'd often be appalling weather.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Was you expecting a break in the clouds with you wearing the cap Ric?image
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I did one or two XC in bad weather. Just killed me. Heatwave anyday.

Training not wasted. I've entered the Harrow Hill race as a back up. Its not 10k but whatever time I get is equivalent to a 10k on the flat. I enter this event to support one of my clubs.

I don't do it as a pot hunter, but for the standard of runners and sheer lack of numbers, the prizes are massive. 

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    mattl wrote (see)
    Was you expecting a break in the clouds with you wearing the cap Ric?image

You'rd be surprised at how useful a peaked cap is in a downpour. Not only did it keep the rain out of my eyes but kept my head warm (relatively).

In fact I wear it all the time in training. Chuck it for most races. 

Its a Tiger Woods cap. In our house we refer to it as the Twat hat!

This was from a doctored picture of Tiger Woods on the front cover of a magazine after his episode with the fire hydrant.

He had his head bowed towards the camera while wearing one of those TW hats.

There was some block of text alongside the picture relating what a pillock he'd been.

Alongside the trademark TW on his hat was added in tippex the letters 'at' hence TWat.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you've entered 2 races on the same day?

Interesting.

What if the Harrow race is really bad weather?

will you just do your money on both?image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nooo. SG

The Harrow Hill Race is on the 17th. It could be a wash out as well, but only costs a tenner and is held only 3 miles away from where I live.

The thumbnail picture on the left is me finishing last years race.

🙂

• Options

10.25 @ 7:12 pace tonight, feel great at the moment *touches wood*

Interestingly, (well for me at least image) I got an email confirming my entry to the National XC. I didn't think I'd be entered but my club have done. It's the 23rd so I might give it a blast as a no pressure debut to 2013 before Trafford.

Last year I was 634, which was not a good run. This year I'll blitz that so it could be a positive experience.

Now, I may have the wrong end of the stick but is Ric suggesting if a race is wet and windy it's going to be a DNS?!

Remember Ching getting a massive PB on a hilly course in 40MPH gusts? He totally spoilt our 'wind' excuse the sod! image 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, did you also do that race? Anyone had any further word from him? That groin injury must be a hell of a fiddly one to have taken him out completely for 9months +.image

What ever happened to Rob T and Addylad too? They've disappeared a bit too.

Yep, Ric's bailing if there's even a hint of rain. Stops him looking his pretty boy best apparently image

• Options

Yep, Mile splits from the go 6:06, 6:09, 6:11 (turn into wind) 7:15! Race over. Horror show.

Not sure what Chingo is up to, I think he'll be back at some point. Just not sure if the groin is playing ball yet. Rob is training but I'm not sure how race fit he is, hopefully I'll see him doing a few Cheshire GP races soon. No idea about Addy, not heard a peep from him, I would be suprised if he'd packed it in though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You have those races that are an unexpected breakthrough, and then you have those races where it's almost relief at hitting the time you know you're capable of!

CP was the former, Sunday was the latter!

Hopefully Wokingham won't call for any heroics weather wise. Having said that, a half marathon is always an achievement to race and finish, in a way that 10k and down aren't I find.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/gibbet2_0.png

Heroics weather wise & achievements.

Here's the scene where two years earlier I was undone by wind & sleety rain.

This is the Coombe Gibbet to Overton race. Its a 16 mile point to point across the North Downs. On this occasion I did exactly 98 minutes.

Its on the afternoon of April 7th this year. I'm thinking about it.

🙂