Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

interesting to see Paul Gregory on there with 31.53 as a 39 year old.18 years later he is still runningtimes very close to that.

• Options

that v60 is actually 75 if Po10 isto be belived. his last 10k was 46 mins,so something doesn't quiteadd up...

• Options

I would say Swindon is on par with Chichester, but without the quality... If your not pot chasing, then its got to be the city race's, Bristol in May and Brighton in November.... Then you've got Manchester, Leeds, Telford etc, with big reps....

There's a guy on fetch (brotherjohn), who's in the M55 class and taken up running late in life, last year he recorded a 34.54 10k, which I thought was impressive, and acheivable... Got to have a goal!!!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not quite Bus, Gregory's last year he did 10ks in, 2011, are listed on power of 10 as a 34,35, and 36.

and that V60 was that age when he did the time, it was in 1998!

All this talk of fast oldies is telling me that I need to keep steadily improving, and hopefully hold onto that level. In 8 1/2 years I'll hopefully be "doing a Bus" and creaming off the V40 prizes image

• Options

Once I slow down, I'm turning to the fells I think. But by then I'll be a sub-30 10k beast! image

Tonight I became one step closer: 5 x 3mins (3min recovery) @ 3k pace. Session was changed from 1K because the track was a mess, it was tipping down and gale force winds were all conspiring against us. I covered 0.55miles each 3 min rep. No idea what kind of pace that equates to?

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Similar session to me stevie. 8*3mins with 300m recovery at 10k pace. All done in freezing conditions, driving sleet/snow, a killer wind. Finished the session but my hands were so cold I couldn't tie my shoelaces and started shaking. I was frozen to the core. It was bleak!
  • Options

Less haste, more speed! Didn't see the 1998 bit! Fair play to the guy then. Mind you, 46mins at just shy of 75 is still pretty impressive!!!

Paul managed at 32:45 as recently as 2010 SG. Slower the last couple of years maybe, but I think he's been injured in 2012 (56 mins at Maidenhead 10 in April followed by 61 at Leighton Buzzard in Sept). He was also only 20 secs down on Fabian at Shardeloes 10k in 2011, ahead of O'g  - as a V55!! I'd put money on him doing another sub 33 before too long...

• Options

Looks like the 3 min reps are the order of the day then! Glad I was nicely tucked up in the warm tonight....

• Options

At least your track is an actual track, ours is an XC course at the moment! I'd have prefered your session to be honest, 8 reps of 10k pace are always good sharpners.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Even my session had the odd 3 minute interval in. image all on the industrial estate again. Random intervals of 1, 2, and 3 min intervals on tired legs that I didn't think would last the session. All splits were between 5.14 and 5.28 so I'm well suited with them as I thought I would fade drastically after the first couple.

First 'proper' club session for over two weeks as I had to do my own thing while up bonnie Scotland. Find it much easier to be running with club mates.

Bluenose and Phil, some cracking times there over the years. Have you noticed the approach to training has changed much from when you ran them times? What sort of stuff were you doing back then?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Less haste, more speed! Didn't see the 1998 bit! Fair play to the guy then. Mind you, 46mins at just shy of 75 is still pretty impressive!!!

Paul managed at 32:45 as recently as 2010 SG. Slower the last couple of years maybe, but I think he's been injured in 2012 (56 mins at Maidenhead 10 in April followed by 61 at Leighton Buzzard in Sept). He was also only 20 secs down on Fabian at Shardeloes 10k in 2011, ahead of O'g  - as a V55!! I'd put money on him doing another sub 33 before too long...

The man in the middle himself. Winning the last Hillingdon half marathon in 2003.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/paul2.png

The scan appears to have done something to his nose.

🙂

• Options

image makes a change to see him from the front - I normally only see the back of his head as he disappears into the distance! Looks exactly the same now as he did 10 years ago (nose aside!)

• Options

interesting to see Paul Gregory on there with 31.53 as a 39 year old.18 years later he is still runningtimes very close to that.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I had a chat with Paul after the last Maidenhead 10.

Said he needs quite a lot of heat to be able run properly. I could identify with that.

🙂

• Options

Matt... I just remember it being a lot more enjoyable... Used to do about 35 mile a week with the club (km reps, track sess & long run)... Then the bit I keep forgetting... I was in the Army (22 years), so they was x/country, orienteering, athletics and all the other fitness training.... Most weeks they would be a couple of things happening....

I've only been back running for just over two years after a 13 ish year break, and I promised (to myself) not to get competitive, with I have, and to enjoy it, which I dont cause of the fustration of not being as competitive as I want...

Love it really....

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I see what you mean. I have wondered what it will be like when the upward curve eventually stops but hopefully I've a few more years yet.

I was having a discussion with a club mate tonight about 2 people. One was another club mate who just stopped training last summer, put a couple of stone on despite being relatively young. He's now annoyed with himself that he's starting from scratch again.

The other was a fella who apparently used to beat mo farah as a junior. The tale was he was a 29 min 10k man at one point but just packed it in. He's also said he's going to make a return to running. I don't know how far back he's gone but it must be soul destroying to maybe be running 36/37 mins or so being young when you were running 29s a few years back.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I've just looked him up on po10. He wiped the floor with andy baddeley as a junior and got within 3 secs of farah in a 5000. Lee mccash.
  • Options

Matt... Weight is the biggest problem, 11 3/4 stone racing weight back in 94, 16 stone on my 50th birthday, hence the reason to start running again.... Down to 13 3/4 at mo, and aim to get to 13 stone and no lower.... But, its been a slow, painful worth while slog...

• Options

Seen lots of it in the Army Matt, kids with so much talent, but just cant be arsed, would rather piss it up big style.... Got to admit it tho, I did have a bit of a drink problem, but between 89-94 while serving in UK, give it up and a join a club...

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    At least your heading in the right direction! I suppose most peoples priorities change though. 12 months ago I used to play football 5/6 days a week, some evenings id be playing 3 games of 5 a side a night. Ive played 1 eleven a side game since last may and dont miss it one bit.

I still get a text about football training every Tuesday and Thursday off my old football manager about training. image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluenose....yep I'd mention the 22 years in the army! As the 35miles a week bit doesn't realy give the full picture otherwise image

Matt, you have to ride those messages out for a while, they get the message eventually!

That running photo was only from 2003, but the guy in 2nd looks like some he could be inthe 60/70s! And is the guy in 3rd being lapped? Doesn't look in their ilk, muscular and shades!

Low key taper week continues today with a 6 and a 3. Hopefully Bus can come along for the 6!

Certainly seems true in running that you need to "learn" to run a pace, and then when you're there you can keep it. A breakthough feels amazing at the time, but then that becomes your pace.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Certainly seems true in running that you need to "learn" to run a pace, and then when you're there you can keep it. A breakthough feels amazing at the time, but then that becomes your pace.

I've found this recently. Very hard to begin with, but the body adapts very quickly.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, you'll wince when you look up those guys on PO10.

The Clark Kent (a clue) lookalike is Ian Johnston from Shettleston and the guy in shades is George Stewart of London Heathside.

🙂

• Options

George Stewart is only 4 days younger than me, but a fair bit quicker! Ian Johnston is also a 1968 man - must have been a vintage year image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we need to stop looking at these fast exceptions, let's look at the normal level for those ages image

Thinking about Wokingham, it's such a hub race. Once you add in the 40 or so from my club who do it, the guys on this thread, local faces we all know like Sam and Bus's mate Gaz, loads of rivals from the XC series, then it suddenly becomes utterly stacked with benchmarks!

There's so many potential benchmarks in both time and head to heads, and also a couple of precise times that people I know have laid down! Will be interesting how it goes!

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Glad it's just me against Marathon Pace on Sunday! 16 miles yesterday (7 in the morning and 9 miles on the track in the evening), another quality session this coming Thursday and 20 easy miles across the remaining days, no taper here and no chance of keeping up with any of you lot!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yep, it's going to be an interesting one on Sunday.  My head-to-head record against posters on this thread is appalling, so we shall see what happens...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, i've a few head to heads to take care of down the field before I even think about this thread!

Johnas, yep, you might struggle to match some of this thread if you're purposely going at MP!

Nice 6 with Bus at lunch. Bit tight on the hip, but seems a definite connection between cold weather and tightness there, and it was icy cold!

• Options

Just looked at the garmin splits and it was actually a bit of a progresion, gradually building from a 7:51 first mile to a 6:39 final one, with only the 4th mile a slight dip thanks to that hill. 

Thanks for coming up this way - much better than the same run by myself today! Have your hands defrosted yet?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Anyone seen the weather forecast for Sunday? 

🙂