Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What's the problem with the picture of a very pretty young lady?

Looks like the same one off the 'open to the public' Sandhurst Joggers website. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah Ric, I guess we find problems in different areas. Yours for instance being races with a splash of rainimage

Seb, track is a different event in my eyes I'm afraid. Would expect to be 20+seconds quicker on a track, so can't compare that to 10k road races!

• Options

SG, note track is 10,000m and road is 10k, different events, but 10,000 track is rarely run so rich pickings: so if a guy of my age runs 37:30 on the tarck that is 18th in the UK 2012 

http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=10000&agegroup=V45&sex=M&year=2012

but for 10k road 37:30 is 424th.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Its not about comparisions SG its about seeing how quickly you can cover 10000m regardless of terrain. Come on you know you want sub 34 too!

If i remember correctly i think the track is quite old which makes it harder and faster than new tracks is that right Phil
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Chaps, it's not just about distance though is it, as otherwise i'd find a downhill 10k!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Hehe I knew you'd say that. Lucky this isnt downhill then
  • Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

image Chaps, it's not just about distance though is it, as otherwise i'd find a downhill 10k!

I do a nice run from Turville which is 4 miles up, 5 down and then 2 up at the end. We need a race on that middle 5, goes down through Pishill which is worth mentioning if for nothing other than humour value.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168178860

• Options

Hi SG

It's worth giving some consideration to some track racing this summer.  You're in good form, injury free and have really solid endurance.  You're in an ideal spot at this time of the year.  Endurance / threshold we can de-emphasise a little and just maintain it whilst adding in faster work. As you move down to do some 5ks we'll be doing some more 3k and 1500m pace stuff anyway and I think the different training and fresh test of track racing would be good for you long term. 

You're mullering all the workouts anyway and I think some new tests are in order - the body can get too used to one 'type' of training and sometimes needs a shock or two to continue the improvement.  It's always best to go into these things in good form rather than being forced into it by poor form.

As for the track 10k - rather you than me, but we can fit it in easily enough!!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds good, how short distance on the track are we talking? 3ks? Or under?

Am with you with not fancying a 10k on the track! That must become a real mental battle!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Apparently, Gebrselassie used to request the song 'Scatman' be played over the stadium speakers. Goes to show how tough a track 10000 must be if even that is an improvement. Kind of ruins his mystique though.
  • Options

Small world Philip, thats my long run route just about every week, join it from Skirmett or Frieth then leave from Stonor. You ever do the trails around there? monster hills.

• Options

Ha ha the boss has spoken 1500M for you SG!

He's right about the try something new in good form rather than do it because you fall out of form. You'd love track racing, it's right nerve wracking! 3Ks are great lung busters. I'm looking to do 5K on the track this year, they are hard to find though, unless I do the Northern Champs... and get smashed.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie S - are you doing the 3000 at the stoke open in April again?  A track head to head could loom...im using it to practice pace for christleton. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ah Ric, I guess we find problems in different areas. Yours for instance being races with a splash of rainimage

Much prefer the heat SG,

Here's one HM. 27 deg in the shade.  image

/members/images/493151/Gallery/batt4.png

10000m on the track. About time I did another one. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't even know how most track races beyond 400s work in terms of when you break into 1 lane and suchlike. Would be a whole new world.

I'd probably find some track running site somewhere where someone's pointing out all my errors

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, the first 5000m track race (any track race in fact) I did the whole lot of us just piled off the line at one hell of a rate.

I assumed it was normal for ones lungs to explode after one lap of a track race so just kept going. Sub 17 minutes the result.

Would never have done that on the road. 

🙂

• Options

SG (and anyone else interested in running track) - I think  I might have told you about this a year or two ago when I said you should do a 3000, Watford is the best place to look at. Every other Wednesday over the summer, 3000m races most week, and all graded on expected performance. Theyre very popular and so you always get a packed race with everyone within a small margin of your target time in your race. Its got me to a few pbs.

http://www.watfordharriers.org.uk/indexnc.htm

http://www.openmeetings.co.uk/ is useful but be wary of the standards. Sometimes you can turn up and be running against women and children, others a stack of blokes will wipe the floor with you. You need something thats marked as Graded.

I've been trying to line up a 10000 for a few years but theyre a bit rare and as such it has eluded me. I'll have to try to get to the Highgate one. I did an open there a few years ago and they were very well organised.

• Options
    mee meep wrote (see)

Small world Philip, thats my long run route just about every week, join it from Skirmett or Frieth then leave from Stonor. You ever do the trails around there? monster hills.

My normal long runs from my house just skirt that area so 20 milesgets me to Skirmett and Frieth but it has to all be on raoids to get the distance done.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71304364

I sometimes set off in the car and park in a dip the middle of those hills and just run up in one direction and get lost and make my way back to the start and then shoot out again in another direction. If oyu have any good routes to share it woudl be good, either post here or PM me.

Track: I used to do a 1 hour track race so 17,010m is my best so 10,000m holds no worries. After a few 5,000m races, the 10,000 does not seem much different.

Need to get back on the track, there are a few holes in the records that need to be filled at M46 (missed that one now) and M47
    http://www.bvaf.org.uk/records/onehour.asp

• Options

10,000 on thr track are hard to find and tend to be elite/champ affairs.

Did 10 x 1min (1min) and 10 x 30 seconds (30seconds) tonight. Was prescribed as 3K pace minimum. I hit my mile pace for all of it so about 4:50per/mile. Came out as 315 meters per min rep. Was hard running that fast again!  Big session on Thursday of:

2x1200m  ,3mins recovery,2x1000m, 2 ½ mins rec,2x800m with 2 mins recovery,2 x400m with 1  min recovery.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Stevie See your county champs should have a 5000m race and various abilities will contend it I would have though, I run for Rugby & Northampton AC since you asked afew pages ago. If your not fussed at travelling for a HM, one of the flattest & fastest in the country is the one I have pencilled in, the great eastern run in Peterborough, A week before cabbage patch in October.

SG running 1500m? That should be interesting, or possibly entertaining! we want to see sub 4:30 SG! You tend to break into the fast lane instantly in 1500m upwards if I remember correctly. 

PC2 is spot on with the Watford opens, they are really good as you get graded into races so everyone is of similar ability, problem is the 3000m can run really late. i.e after 10PM!! as sometimes there are 15 1500m races! I've ran there about 5 times over the years and will run a 3000m this year.

First decent session in weeks today, 3 x 1.7mile Tempo @ 5:45pace w/2min Recovery on a little loop with a small hill in. Went well for a change.

• Options

Seb, I may well enter that HM as I'm struggling to find one. Our county champ only go up to 3K, I think they assume a 5K would be a waste of time as only a handful (2 last year) even bother with that. It was a joke, me and 38yr old geezer, and a load of U17/20/23 kids all smashing out sub 9.30, 3 of which did sub 9. I'm defo on the scout for a 5K though. I could see 10K on a track being a bit of a grind.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie the stoke open has a 5000m race in april
  • Options

I third Seb on his seconding of PC2 on Watford open meetings. They share nights with the BMC (British Milers Club) so you can get a night when the BMC fixture runs on for ages and they only go up to 3000m so you need to look elsewhere for a 5000m. I will try and do a few this year as I have resigned from my track club so need an alternative outlet although I think I may join Vets AC and they have a track and field programme.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I did briefly consider running a track race for a laugh this summer as well, and PC2 had already recommended Watford.  However, I wouldn't see the purpose in running a distance I can do on the roads (5000, 10000), and would be more interested in having a time against my name for 1500 or something, maybe even 800 (although I would be, in relative terms, shockingly bad at those distances).

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My own club Harrow AC are in the Southern Athletics league Div 1, Southern Veterans league and British League.

15 years back I ran a few 5000m for them (in the Southern AL) but none since. 

The league allows for non scoring members to participate.

Phil, which club did you resign from?

My inclination this year is to run for either of my clubs. Stand alone races that involve only me against the clock will be scarce, chosen only for their potential to deliver optimum conditions. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

quiet on here today.

Just had an email from the Wokingham organisers confirming we were the winning men's team.

Mizuno vouchers in the post, and an invitation to some event to collect some trophies.

Unexpected bonuses!! imageimage

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

Phil, which club did you resign from?

Resigned from Wycombe Phoenix so I can be first claim Datchet so I can do the 12 stage relays. Will join Vets AC or Southern Vets as second claim later. Any pros and cons? Vets AC has some nice races at Battersea but Southern has a Western League which has races all over the pace such as Hillingdon, Oxford, Bracknell etc.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

quiet on here today.

I know how to liven it up image.

I am now in stage 3 of the 4 stages of recovery:

Stage 1: Feels easy as you have had a long while off.
    Stage 2: Feels tired as you have had a long while off.
    Stage 3: Feels easy as you have been running for a few weeks so over stages 1 and 2 but you aren't pushing too hard.
    Stage 4: You are fit and can train hard and so you feel tired.

Just over 12 miles at lunchtime: 5 jog out, handicap race and 5 back. The handicap is very asymmetric so if I win by 3 minutes my handicap goes up by 3 minutes but if I loose by 3 minutes it comes down by 30 seconds.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, I joined Harrow for the same reason. National and area road relays. 

Obviously they (Harrow) do the Chiltern league. And I might add that If you and I had been running for them this last term, we would have won the entire Div 1. But we wern't, so they didn't. 

Joined SCVAC as a blatant gate crashing of their 10 mile road championship. If I'd joined VAC I'd have ended up 2nd behind another V50.

As things turned out, I got a nice trinket out of the day and a tweaked back muscle.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/CSC_1694_0.JPG

A trinket.

Just had a look at an old video of myself running some fast road times. It doesn't look pretty. 

Weather forecast for Sunday looks good. Not too cold and DRY!image

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This thread is like over hearing a couple of pensioners on the bus talking about their glory days. image

Just kidding, I'm just jealous, as I found a pic of me running the Wycombe fun run about 16 years ago.

Dressed in normal trainers, jeans, and a ridiculous checked shirt imageimage

I remember the race well, it was after GCSEs, and I'd spent 3months lying around playing computer games.

Didn't think a 1 1/2mile jog round the park would be too much effort, but on trying to out sprint a pal, I managed to almost collapse and had to lie down for plenty of time.

I'd forgotten the ludicrous outfit though! Jeans?!? what the heck

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've a picture somewhere of me in a race carrying a water bottle! image

One day, talking is all we'll have left. Better to do something now so we'd have something to talk about.

🙂