Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, sorry, I forgot you do all your races for the good of mankind don't you.

Ric, I am quite surprised at your first line, the way you've described numerous races was that you were under some kind of obligation! The 2am pitch black relay leg, the turning up injured, the saying you were only going to turn up for the club's benefit etc.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

20 mile Road Relay at 2am, alone the whole way carrying a baton. Man, I had guys from the club in their cars driving alongside cheering me on with people scraping me off the ground at the end. 

I'd done my bit and clawed back over 20 minutes. I was satisfied, the others were delirious. 

I am under an obligation. But one of my own making. I'm also inclined to point out to the members who do all the administration that their job is way harder than anything I get up to. 

They disagree, but I've given them the recognition due. How many thank the marshalls at the end of a race? 

The guys in the club have all turned up to close out a league or make up a team when carrying a niggle. Its what we chose to do. We chose to do it for the clubs benefit.

For this we acquire respect and status from our peers. But that can also take quite a long time. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

True Ric, I was on the last club's board for over 2 years, keen as mustard, and I quite relished it to be honest. You get missed when you're suddenly not there I find.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SG - yes, my races are for the good of the world....im trying to end world hunger but im probably going to have to up my mileage to achieve it to be honest...

from within the club I have recieved more praise for finishing the race last saturday and getting much needed points for my team than any of my individual races this past yr.   It came at a cost but it was worth it imo.  Doesnt mean i dont put myself first either...im not running the midlands road relays as its a day before wilmslow hm this yr.  I think there is room for both team & individual.   Im suprised its so suprising.

• Options

Like you Dean, I'm not doing the 12 stage as I'm gunning for a cheeky 5 mile PB before we jet off to Portugal. Plus the 12 stage is a joke, even the bog clubs struggle finding 12 decent runners, 12 for us on paper looks great then in reality means you have a right mash of people.

Matt, that session was an absolute beauty! Made my eyes water. Bravo Sir!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean., we're talking obligation to a club. Not scoring for a club when you can!

Cripes, I did 4 full years of doing every club race for my old lot, served on their board for 2 years, was on the summer 5k and winter xc organising boards, have coached runners to pb etc, have a thread on the go to encourage others....

What a selfish bastad eh? image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Jeez! SG I'm impressed.

My missus did all the catering stuff and team managing, while my lad ran, but now he's given up, so has she.

Apart from the running, I do jack!

Outside races there is zero contact between me and the clubs. 

Needless to say I never ever critise the system. Just in case of "Well, if you think you can....".

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Your the only one talking about obligation....Ric has said on at least 2 occasions he doesn't feel an obligation then you tell him he does. Anyway i think this is circular and I'm off to sort out world hunger image

SS- what 5m is around that time...
  • Options

Run the Bridge in Halton, I was 16th last year in 29:50, so under 29 will be top 10 for sure. Decent enough course, not super fast but quick.

• Options

Ahem....deep breaths eh lads? Sticks, and the wrong end thereof spring to mind...

From my POV, hats off to all those who marshall, organise and support both clubs and races - we'd sure be stuck without you!

Good session Matt by the way....

Double XC for me today in the muddiest codnitions I've ever known!  Again, no specific pains or problems, but just generally lethargic and slow after Wokingham. Day off tomorrow and see what next week brings. 

• Options

Sunshine out in Hyde Park today and Mr and Mrs runner were out in force: you know the sort, he runs a step ahead of her and is into triathlon, she goes to the gym and runs occasionally but has 24 different sets of running gear. Both enter a lot of races but don't race them and are trying to beat 30 mins for 5k, 1 hour for 10k or 2 hours for half. One pair were just ahead of me as we came to a crossing and I stopped and waited for a green light. They came up and stood at the crossing doing that silly stand still running and I couldn't help but to burst out laughing.

Luckily they were all wired into iPods so didn't hear me so that is a plus I hadn't hooked onto before. I often catch the eye of serious runners and sometimes we roll our eyes at a particularly odd jogger but there is no need to do an eye roll, you can actually scream out wanker and they won't hear.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you're getting your running mojo back Philameno! image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Probably the same sort that mistake going into oxygen debt as an asthma or heart attack.

Or worse, the Ipod breaks down. Buggered! unable to run without music they are rendered as motionless as a waxwork.

There must be an emergency service for this kind of thing, Police, Fire and Ambulance at 1,2 & 3. Coastguard at 4. The AA and RAC at 5 & 6. Interflora at 7.

So Ipod breakdown must be 8 or 9. No good. Call an Ambulance.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The worst is when the ipod breaks down midway through a long run. You're not only stuffed without music, but you have to carry the headfones and the ipod the rest of the way, feeling sheepish.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

The worst is when the ipod breaks down midway through a long run. You're not only stuffed without music, but you have to carry the headfones and the ipod the rest of the way, feeling sheepish.

No, the worst involves a red hot poker. Having a dead iPod is a mere inconvenience.

• Options

Philip, you're lucky. At least the folks around you have some kind of get up and go. Everyone round my way is fat or too busy boozing themselves into numbing sense of denial.

Everyone is also highly outspoken about their opinions about runners (or anyone not pumping iron and steroids). My all time favourite quotes include 'Get running lad' ... I am. Also "Go on Tin Tin lad get them f**king knees up" gave me tickle!

• Options

Is it something in the air today? Seems an awful lot of bitterness about (and believe me I'm no exception in my current mood!). I blame that meteor.....

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, it's called being sore and knackered.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

No, the worst involves a red hot poker. Having a dead iPod is a mere inconvenience.

Phil, Don't forget the cattle prod. We haven't. (Source of most sinister post of 2012)

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I normally just get abuse shouted at me or the odd object. image

I was once heading towards a group of say 10 young lads, only about 14/15 years of age. A couple of days earlier I'd had a volley of abuse off some other young lads whilst running and this was still fresh in my mind.

This group were strung out across the pavement 2/3 deep and I could sense that not only were they forcing me into the road but they were all muttering stuff between themselves and I got the feeling I'd be on the end of a few words from them or one half wit was going to start running with me.

Unfortunately for them we were very near a McDonald's and about 5 yards in front of them was a large drinks cup from there. I don't know what came over me but I carried on running right at them and volleyed this cup which happened to be half full with strawberry milkshake. I shouted 'don't even fukcing dare!' And they parted like the Red Sea whilst the first 2/3 were splattered with milkshake.

I still wonder to this day if they were actually going to give me grief or if I just came across as some mindless idiot myself. image
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mattl, I'd say possibly to the first and definately not to the last.

The latter would have come across as 'mess with me and you're a dead man' .

Only had one incident that could have got me into serious trouble. Running around a local gathering spot, some drunk buffoon;showing off to his mates, thought it amusing to just step into my path and make me bounce off his bulk.

I didn't react to this but I did go up into the nearby woods and select a baseball bat piece of wood. For at least 10 minutes I jogged about in the hidden vicinity working out the best way to smash the guy and escape.

Well there's a saying, "Never make a decision when you are angry", its worth remembering. So, after I'd calmed down, I went on my way. 

As for groups of kids, I once ran down a narrow path and happened across about 15 of them all around 16 years of age, drinking beer and stuff.

Since they were all bigger than me it could have been awkward. Instead I just stopped and cadged a drink off one of them and had a bit of a laugh.

Didn't stop me advising them that the best way to get your moneys worth out of booze is to drink just enough to get the effects, then hold back for a while. They knew I was on their side so ok with that.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Haha. That's class is that!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Love it Ric, we'll try not to anger you too much now we know how your thought processes work!

No doubt like me a lot of us run defensively, and make it our job to avoid people when out on the streets, and not put any key decisions in the hands of anyone else or drivers.

Have to appreciate that we don't own the streets, so it's down to us to minimise the risks presented from the various goons out there.

People doddering around the track in the fast lane when you're clearly in the middle of a session is an annoying one. If they'd got there first, fair does, it's open to all, but if you're going to wear 15 layers, and run at 14min miling, you're probably not doing a paced session that needs a 400metre measurement, so you can do it in any lane. Is that harsh?

Not normally a problem if it's only one chap, as you just go round the once every few reps you cross paths, but when there's a couple/few, it starts to mess with your session as you're suddenly having to roam into lane 3/4 to get round.

Luckily the track is normally empty when I go there. There was this one couple of mums who brought their little 10ish year old kid a few times tho. The kid had a terrible habit of sprinting into my lane just in the middle of fast reps. Twice I had to catch him before he went flying image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I can see your point SG. When we train on the track, we use another clubs which seems to predominantly run the shorter stuff so they give us the first 3 lanes.

Our group all set off at different points so I end up overtaking most or usually the whole group. We used to shout 'track' and those in the first lane would move out to lane 3. While trying to flog myself running around, the last thing you can be arsed doing is shouting 'track' which used to confuse people and they'd end up zig zagging across the 3 lanes.

I now just resemble a slalom skier by weaving in and out or just going around the group. The coach says its prob good practice anyhow for overtaking. image
  • Options

The shout 'TRAAAACK" has saved many lives down at Vale Royal AC! image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You guys have polished setups in fairness. Our track is me and some randoms. If i shouted track they'd either not hear in the wind or their headfones, and even if they did they wouldn't understand.

Wow, just got the prize voucher for men's team winners from the Wokingham half! Generous!! And an individual trophy to come too...best race ever image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Congrats on the impressive pb SG

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Alas the track. I knew it well.

Too much politics down on my local so don't go near it.

On one occasion, I had the mother of one of the kids totally unload on me, screaming in my face from about a hands width away about some apparent crime I'd committed.

I can soak up any amount of this sort of thing, so nice and easy I calmed her down.  However, just at that point young junior appeared and said, "mummy, that's not him".image

Poor women, I had to get a chair for her to sit down on while she cried her eyes out. 

Bloody track! too much aggro.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

same as SS.....a hearty yell of TRACK and people warming up in lane1 jump a mile and get out of the way.  If others are doing a session but just slower i agree with Matt its just good practice to overtake at speed.

• Options

Our track is generally runners only so everyone has the same right to lane one, if you're faster you overtake, like in a race. The people who are SO slow they get in the way do move outwards as they know the etiquette.

Young kids can be a problems as they live in their own head a bit and are naturally less mindful but they learn eventually. It would be a grind to run with ipod warriors jogging about. In my opinion you shouldn't have one on at the track regardless of how fast you are. It's just not the place for music.

SG - the Wokingham good times just keep flowing! How much were the vouchers?

• Options

4 and a 7 today, 7 was nice, 4 was a chore. Not as bad as the 9 last night. This sickness bug is still in my system, got spots all over me and often get sudden feelings of sickness. Maybe I'm pregnant?! image image

Long run history tomorrow. Will be my 8th 15+ in a  row. I think I've only managed 4 on the spin before. Hopefully it will feel like the 7 tonight image Can't wait to get stuck into some races when I'm better.