Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ss, You are gambling with your long term health. Stop running.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, £50!

and what Ric says buddy, racing injured and running sick get you the hero points, but are pretty foolish really.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Steve - another vote to stay off your feet tomorrow mate. Let the bug clear otherwise you just prolong it in your system and you will end up weaker.

Sg - that's a decent prize
  • Options

Track can always be fun. We start as another club finishes. They seem to cool down by running the opposite way round in the outside lane. When we train it is very mixed ability. Generally I don't have too many problems, but I have a heavy footfall so I can be heard coming a mile off image

A mere 5km for me today at the new Reading parkrun course, plus the cycle commute either way. I chased a guy all the way round, we spoke afterwards and he said he needed to be chased to run fast. Win-win. Finished 5th in a 19:22 PB, so a line in the sande, or on PO10 atleast. With some appropriate training the sub 90 HM may be on the cards, and the sub 40min 10k just out of reach.

Happy days.

• Options

£50 quid! Result!

Will soldier through the long run then next week is all recovery running with one session depending how recovered I am. Will be 50% mileage next week, plus I can sleep as much as I want, no stress of work. Don't worry fellas! image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep Stevie,..only way it could have been better would have been if I hadn't lashed £60 on trainers at the race, with the same people that the voucher is redeemable with! Never mind image

Iron, nice to pb...personally I can't even remember what it's like to pb at 5k image Sub 90, and sub 40 are pretty much hand in hand aren't they? Do you think the 90 will come first then?

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Yep Stevie,..only way it could have been better would have been if I hadn't lashed £60 on trainers at the race, with the same people that the voucher is redeemable with! Never mind image

Iron, nice to pb...personally I can't even remember what it's like to pb at 5k image Sub 90, and sub 40 are pretty much hand in hand aren't they? Do you think the 90 will come first then?

Macmillan believes not, though there are seconds in it. Neither 10km or HM are on my A list for this year though I may do Cardiff HM in Oct. Sub 90 at HM to me seems more achievable than sub 40 at 10k, time will tell of course 

I'm sure one of the Imeldas here will help you with your shoe problem.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta by the way Mace!

Iron, can you bear waiting so long for a half? Personally I'm pleased to not be thinking of a half for ages now, but then I've nipped in and got what I was looking for, so would need to build again for another go.

After the last 2 weeks of racing fun, and an easy week this week with nothing over 6, we're back to business shortly, 7am 14miler coming up. Might just do the route of the local half marathon for a change, with a bolt on at start and end

• Options

That's the rub, I'd like to go out and smash a HM tomorrow but I'd need to build up to it. I quite like the HM distance, probably because I've only raced 1 road 10km. Of course, the spring and summer are taken up by tri so it gives me a few months before Cardiff.

Do you have new target paces following Wokingham? I'll need to check FIRST to see what I need to be running at. Probably something horrendous, especially the track reps.

A nice 12k in the sun. Cold when stopped, but possibly too hot for t-shirt when moving.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Certainly do Iron. It's the flip side after all the revelling in the new pb settles down!

Will certainly be tasty doing sessions at the new paces.

However,  today's 14 went comfortably and averaged very low 7s.  A few screw up means I can't work the exact pace out, as I hadn't put my auto split mile back on after last week, didn't stop the watch at the end, and ran 14.2miles as I screwed the route up!

But new HMP is 5.45-5.50, and MP, 6.00-6.10.  I won't even mention the shorter stuff.

Have an interesting session Tuesday. A bookend of 4x200s, 4miles MP, and then 4x200. Looking forward to that one.

• Options

16 for me today at 7:30s so closing in again to a pace where I can do a hard one  alongside SG's easy one.

I reckon a lot of the frustration with others comes from the drip drip that leads the to last straw. At least with your average yob he is out to deliberately piss you off and enjoys doing so, but the ones that build up the pressure before it blows are all those people who assume that as you are a runner they have right of way. Most paths are easily wide enough for one each way, so why walk down the middle and seem upset when a runner clutters by you, or why assume that a runner will step of the path and onto a road to go round you?

Need to now cash in on a few weeks of base building and get a bit of speed into the legs. Far too early to do so in all honesty but the 12 stage relays are only 5 weeks away so even with a couple of speed sessions a week that is only 9 or 10 outings before full bore.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice run Phil, definitely sounds more promising for you if you can do that length and pace.

Will be good to have your option as an occasional training partner/race buddy back.

I saw a couple of your top boys did some cracking results at the Barcelona half. A low 1hr 13, and just under 1hr 15 from Tom and Guy. Cracking efforts, reaping the rewards of their marathon training.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

reaping the rewards of their marathon training.

You have to be careful with that. Marathon training has one goal and that is a fast 26.2. If you step outside that goal and start to pick up shiny things on the way it can be nice but in reality a good half takes 2 or 3 weeks out of a campaign.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I ran the full tour of pendle route with a clubmate as both of us are doing the 3 peaks. 17.1 miles in total with 4800ft of ascent. As brutal as ever too, although the weather was cracking.

Well, I thought it was going to be just us two until he turned up with a former 3 peaks race winner Dave Edwards. 2 miles in, just after the first climb I did my best Klinsmann impression and head first into the floor. Haha. Cut my knee, hip and arm but was more embarrassed than anything.

My knee started to stiffen up from then on but nothing serious.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All seems to depend on the individual's tolerance.

I see Sam did 2hr 03 for a 20mile race today.

Now, I know very little about marathon campaigns, but I thought 20milers were more for confidence, or maybe testing MP. 2:03 certainly looks raced flat out to me, and just 1 week after Wokingham.

Thoughts on that Phil?

• Options

20 miles in 2:03 is 6:09 pace and that is a 2:41 marathon and her PB is 2:42 so it is pretty much 20@MP which is hard.  I don't know what is does for Sam: she knows she can run 20 and 26.2 so it isn't adding to her confidence: I think she shoudl be goign for some more speed and less distance. She knows she can runa  decent 26.2, she just needs a fast one. She did Wokingham at 6 on the nose, today wasn't much slower so one is out of line.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Wokingham was bad conditons in fairness, whereas maybe today was good.

And she does have a very good ability to lose very little the higher the distance goes up.

I guess there isn't much actual difference between 20mile and MP though in fairness? So today would have been a flat our race as hard as you can job.

Her long term goal is sub 2:40 for a marathon. But she loves doing countless races, often week after week after week.

Can't help thinking the latter certainly doesn't help the former.

Having said that she is unusual in being able to thunder out 120+ mile weeks, and do 2 marathons in 3 weeks and suchlike!

• Options

18 miles dusted in 7:25 pace. Glad the weather was kind, as I wasn't going to put up with another ice cold rain fest like last week. 62 so far for the week, 2 sessions in there too.

• Options

SG I'm disappointed to inform you that your 10 Mile advantage over me is safe for a while yet. Started out Bramley 10 today targeting what I thought was a safe 55.30 but by mile 2 I knew last weeks half was still in my legs. Never felt pushed on the day, but the underlying fatigue just meant I couldn't move quick enough - 58:XX in the end. Not too bad for a training run (which is what it became).

Similar to your discussion about about racing each week, this is starting to pose questions for me on future races though and whether I can maintain what I want on back to back weekends despite doing almost nothing midweek. Reading Half might bite the dust in my race plans.

Even more disappointing, I came home to enter the Highgate 10,000 and its full! Quality start list so very disappointed. I've asked to go on the reserve list though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image Bad luck PC2. You're mortal like the rest of us then! How come you plotted a 10miler the week after a target half?

Reading should be ok for you...although sometimes it's hard to do the same distance a few weeks on when you've smashed the first one1

• Options

The problem with Reading is that I will be racing on the following Wednesday and Sunday. Also, I very much doubt I will run anywhere near as quick at Reading as Wokingham.

I usually pick a set of different length races in a short period, so that if I am fit I can knock a few different pbs. I dont think I've run a few races of the same distance with only a short period in between for a few years - I dont want to end up running the same or slower having not had enough time to improve. For example, only 1 half last year so that when I do it, its done properly. I might race a lot, but over a wide range of distances.

The thinking behind today was that if I did a half pb, this would be too, and would seem easier. You cant tell until the day though, and it didnt work out.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's what makes a pb so special though isn't it, that it doesn't happen that often (unless you're still on your first couple of years of running)

There's something quite different about a 10miler to a half I find, Phil covered it well a fair while back.

By about 6/7miles you're pretty much there and just need to hold on, whereas a half you're barely half way.Similarly it seems to take a chunk longer to recover from.

This is why I successfully smashed 2 10milers in October on consecutive weekends (first a big pb, and second was on course to beat it until the gale force last 2 miles) , but wouldn't have even entertained the idea with 2 half!

So much so that Reading 5 weeks on wasn't really worthwhile either.

Eastleigh 10k in 5 weeks suit you? That's meant to be fast, and also me and Dachs are going.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

stevie s - nice session on the back of a hard week mate.  I know you came through it today against alot of the threads advice but make sure you get a rest in or at least a cut back week to get the max benefit.

matt - apart from the tumble thats sounds a top session

regards marathons, what i know could be written on a stamp and still have space for the queens face, but many people seem to have a bad race on the day and dont know why but say "i was in great form as i hit loads of PBs in practice races in the build up".   I wonder if there is a correlation

i managed a 1.6m trot as i did some xc training with my 8yr old daughter and had no ill effects of my injury.  So will build up as Wilmslow hm is only a month away

• Options

Iron, nice 5k pb... I turned up at my local parkrun (Southwick) yesterday, seen the mud and water and thought sod it cant be arsed with this....

Finding my attitude to racing has changed a lot over the last few months, where as last year I would do pointless races a couple of times a month, this year am going to cut right back, and only do races that suit me..... SG, Eastleigh is now on the agenda, now I've convince my FWB (friend with benifits), that Cornwall is a lot better than Tiland, took some convincing.....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Probably see you down there then! It better be as quick as people say

Dean you could be right there...I probably know as little as you on marathons, but seems the Johnas/Phil way of making races in the lead up preparation for the big one, rather than outright pb hunts might be a good strategy.

• Options

Reading the reviews for Eastleigh... Most seem to mention a hill/incline/mountain between 3 & 4k, suppose its early enough to have not much effect...

• Options

Playing a new game Wool pointed out to me. You look at the bib numbers of the guys on the front line of a race and try and find the plonkers. Current one is at Bramley today, 10 miler and 20 miler line up together and #1848 is up there at the front and comes home in 118th place in 2:17.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, I trump your Bramley plonker with my Harrow Hill plonker.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/HH3.png

Guess which one?

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't beat the chap at the front of the Wokingham half Phil, illuminous jacket (!), lining up on the narrow grid alongside sub 1hr 08 men.

Finished in 1hr 51!

Just seen the Bramley start. Poor "Trevor" image copping abuse off the likes of you on here

Also noticed Phil Wicks cruising to a 49min 10miler. Quite odd he missed Wokingham due to a niggle, yet managed a 29min 10k a week before it, and this time a week after image

Blue nose...will be interesting to compare the difference to the Chichester 10k which had a half km climb in the...first half km! And then a steeper but shorter one later.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Harrow Hill Race then, hmm!

Ok, It was the fastest I'd run on the course in a decade. However.....

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Ipod3.png

Guess what happened.

🙂