Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

charming image

I'll make sure to pick the route with wildebeast sweeping majestically across the plains next time image

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

charming image

As a Chairboy you may appreciate the beauty of running up and back down Hillbottom Road twice but all I can do is hope to get a snigger from the name and after Dachs and Brown Willy, nobody will laugh at a bottom reference. As I said, chat was good, plains will improve it, wildebeest I can take or leave them. (Spell checker wants double E, I guess it is the Dutch origin.)

• Options

I like to run through Bryant's Bottom (made more amusing by working with someone called Bryant, who is an ex page 3 girl...)

I can't stretch to Wildebeest, but I can offer a few long runs with cows sweeping majestically across the plains!

Probably do you some good not running so much last week Dachs. Given how my back is feeling today, I wish I'd swapped a couple of runs for some nice easy walks last week...

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ - no spring marathon for me, mainly just 10Ks and the Reading Half.

I arrived back to a couple of e-mails.  Apparently I have won a trophy as the first Wokingham Borough resident at the Wokingham Half, and there will be a presentation ceremony at the Council Offices in April.  Crikey!  I also get a Berkshire County bronze medal, as the race was the Berks County Champs.  The thread almost swept up the medals, as PC2 got the silver.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

I like to run through Bryant's Bottom (made more amusing by working with someone called Bryant, who is an ex page 3 girl...)

Do you work in the glamour modelling industry then Bus? image

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

PMJ - no spring marathon for me, mainly just 10Ks and the Reading Half.

I arrived back to a couple of e-mails.  Apparently I have won a trophy as the first Wokingham Borough resident at the Wokingham Half, and there will be a presentation ceremony at the Council Offices in April.  Crikey!  I also get a Berkshire County bronze medal, as the race was the Berks County Champs.  The thread almost swept up the medals, as PC2 got the silver.

Well done Dachs! Do you have to enter the Berks champs or is it based on electoral roll etc?

Has anyone ever run from Newlands corner near Guildford? I hear one can go up Martha's Passage. Be careful, it can be dirty.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Iron, you have to enter the Berks championships beforehand, just by sending an e-mail with some details.  Often this results in a bizarre situation, as I had at the Wargrave 10k last year, where you finish behind a bunch of people who live in Berkshire, but get the silver medal because all but one of those people forgot, or couldn't be bothered, to enter.  However, at Wokingham, on scouting through the results, the only people ahead of me who I know for sure are Berkshire runners were the two who got gold and silver, so it means a bit more this time.

• Options

Nice one Dachs! Bit like my Wycombe Haf County bronze, except yours was actually a fast time!

Dachs wrote (see)

The Bus wrote (see)

I wish - couldn't be further from reality! (the lady in question finished her page 3 career about 30 years ago!!)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Nice one Dachs! Bit like my Wycombe Haf County bronze, except yours was actually a fast time!

Dachs wrote (see)

The Bus wrote (see)

I wish - couldn't be further from reality! (the lady in question finished her page 3 career about 30 years ago!!)

Any port in a stormimage

Actually, my missus was a page 3 girl.

Page 3 of the Angling Times.

🙂

• Options

Wildlife report at lunchtime: rats, squirrels (rats with a PR company) and parakeets who are either Kingston or Twickenham based if you believe wikipedia: no wildebeest.

Dachs, our Datchet boys got the medals for Windsor Half at Windsor Castle by him and her with crowns and stuff: you should hold out for more as it is the Royal County of Berkshire after all.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Parakeets. From my kitchen window.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/CSC_1569.JPG

🙂

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

is this where i casually drop into conversation that i do actually work with models, both glamour and non glamour, on a daily basis?

I would also post a picture of some birds and/or tits but suspect I may get banned from this here forum if i do

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

arrived back to a couple of e-mails.  Apparently I have won a trophy as the first Wokingham Borough resident at the Wokingham Half, and there will be a presentation ceremony at the Council Offices in April.  Crikey!  I also get a Berkshire County bronze medal, as the race was the Berks County Champs.  The thread almost swept up the medals, as PC2 got the silver.

Factor in the surprise that my lot won the men's team prize, and half the thread will be turning up at the awards do!  Presume yourself and the artist formerly known as Crispy will be turning up? It's on the same day as the Manchester derby at the moment which is a little bit of a concern, but hopefully United beating Madrid will see it moved to a different date.

Ridiculously, Sandhurst's female best runner didn't bother to enter as Sandhurst as otherwise the ladies would have won too (Phil, that's not an invitation to post her name, details, photo and telephone number by the way)

Johnas, feel free to send me all the details necessary to my inbox

Bus, what year was that county bronze? Last year? Was it a Vet prize or just straight 3rd? I'd have thought the likes of Cooray, OG and Charlie May would hoover up the top 3 and that's just 3 regulars.

• Options

Yep - last year. OG got first, Richard Watkinson second. Presumably Cooray didn't tick the Bucks resident box! On the overall results on the HX site though I don't feature as I was 1st V40, but my time was third and they gave me the medal on the day! Mind you, there was another Bucks resident in front of me - Sam, but luckily SHE doesn't count image. On your current form you'd have picked up the Gold medal!

Any jobs going Johnas?

Ric - I'm going to resist any jokes about your Mrs and fish in case you intorduce me to her after a race image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the Wokingham time on the wycombe course yes! but we all know you don't get close to your pb on the wycombe course!! top runners lose 2mins, i lost 5 1/2mins once image

• Options

Brick session today. Run/Bike/R/B/R. Each run at 2km and each bike just over 6.3km. All running at 4/km or faster, with each rep getting faster.

I'll probably squeeze in an hour's easy run tomorrow as the ITB is noticeable (it has been prevalent of late) before jumping on a plane to Germany.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

cheers guys, will try to transfer the XC performances to the road, might happen, might not. No running for me since the Saturday race, ankle was back to dodgy status but feels better after 2 days rest, back to some easy stuff tomorrow.

good work on the trophy Dachs! My clubmate who beat me by 1sec at the National XC is running Reading HM, so be interesting to see how he fares again you lot!

Good to hear you bit the bullet and got in on Abingdon Bus, I decided against it and am heading for cabbage patch instead.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wish this cold weather would bugger off. 

I find the potential for aches and pains much greater than in the heat of summer.

🙂

• Options

You and me both Ric (and most of the population I expect!)

It's a shaem CP and Abingdon are the same day - would have been a good warm up!

SG - 2 mins down on your Wokingham time would still have got you the gold county Medal at Wycombe last year! 5 and a ahlf would have seen me pull on back on the head to heads - and that aint gonna happen now is it image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    10 miles tonight, with 2 x 3m at supposed tempo pace. However, pace was absolute crap, averaging 6 minute miles. Not feeling 100%, so in the circumstances happy just to complete the session. Plus, 6mm still makes me an elite according to Alex Blundell.

Intrigued by Johnas's job. Make up artist?
  • Options

9 @ 7:25 today for me, hamstrings are still tight from all the XC fun. But the calves have calmed a bit though. I'm gonna' assume they will be like this most the week and by Saturday it will be sorted. 4 more sessions until Trafford (Tues/Thurs/Sat/Tues) so I need to make them count.

6 x 800 @ 3K tomorrow (off 3mins). A tasty VO2 max session. Let's see if the hamstrings allow it! image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The ability of younger guys to race well despite all manner of afflictions is quite interesting. 

I'll have to do some research on this, but there does appear to be some cut-off point; due to age perhaps, where seemingly overnight that 'race well regardless' ability disapears.

It was in Ron Hills autobiography where I noticed his sudden decline. The aches and pains he had were no more or less than usual. But until a certain age they hadn't slowed him in a race.

I look at my own race results from when I was in my late 20's, and see 10k times that I clocked with niggles, way faster than I can do today when in good shape.

Bloody hell!  I've found one where I had tendonitus in both feet so bad it was painful even walking. 10k in sub 35mins despite. How?

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus,  Wycombe Half 2010, your last victory against me! I learnt the hard way that training for 5ks, and doing a hilly half marathon isn't genius tactics! I think the mentality is the hardest thing. You approach Wokingham knowing you're going to blast it, whereas Wycombe is more a, turn up and see what happens, whilst knowing it won't be close to a pb! Not ideal!

That Wycombe 10k was a blessing really, gives me the chance to still take part in the day, but not with the terribly timed half marathon with it's 3-4days leg ruining effects! I'm glad I don't have a massive streak there, as those are hard to break. Just ask the miserable looking chap who has done all of them who get wheeled out each year!

Ric, probably similar to when you first run you can do it in seemingly any trainers, can do what you like, do any races, and it all comes our pretty fine. I know a runner who is over 6mins slower than me over 10k, yet does all their training at the pace I'd do most of mine! The classic medium hard with no proper hard, and no easy approach! They're still gently pbing though, although clearly more due to running 60+ miles a week then through any smart training!

However, it's hard to tell someone who is still gradually improving that what they're doing is wrong isn't it! 

Stevie, 3miles at 3k pace? Who sets these nutty sessions image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie See - stoke open is online http://www.stokeac.org.uk/stokeopenmeeting2013-1.jpg   . im probably doing the 3k but let me know if you want a pacer for the 5k too and i will enter that as well.  Mind you the form you are in you should be pacing me!

Advice sought gents:   i have a 10k race on sunday but the session on the track tonight is 5*1m @5.20 pace with 400 jog recovery.   So do i do this session and take the rest of the week easy to prepare, do the same session but just slower pace, do less reps or something else?  What would you do?

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Dachs - job sounds more glamarous than it actually is. I recruit, train and book promotional staff to work on brand campaigns at festivals, shopping centres, events etc. Most of them are models, singers or actors/actresses supplementing their incomes. Kind of like a model agency.

SG - sub 2:45 is much easier as a champ qualifier for me than sub 1:15 HM. I convert well to longer distances as can keep a steady pace for long distances rather than the short sharp fast stuff!

Dean - I'd do the session as planned as plenty of time to recover. In all the races I've done in the last year since being coached, my coach has always continued to put hard sessions on tuesdays even when racing on the weekend - if he makes any adjustments it might be one less rep and a longer recovery. I even did my session on the Thursday too my assault on my 10k PB last November - admittedly the reps were shorter so I could recover in time for the race on the Sunday (it was a 10min/10min/10min progression run instead of 15/15/15 or 20/20/20 which are the regulars)

Well, the Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon was on Sunday - didn't get to run due to my Chief Marshal duties but looks like everything went well. Getting some great  feedback on RW which is great 98% overall score

Due to duties, moved my long run to Saturday afternoon instead - 21 miles @ 7:07 pace. Felt easy and comfortable.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

Stevie See - stoke open is online http://www.stokeac.org.uk/stokeopenmeeting2013-1.jpg   . im probably doing the 3k but let me know if you want a pacer for the 5k too and i will enter that as well.  Mind you the form you are in you should be pacing me!

Advice sought gents:   i have a 10k race on sunday but the session on the track tonight is 5*1m @5.20 pace with 400 jog recovery.   So do i do this session and take the rest of the week easy to prepare, do the same session but just slower pace, do less reps or something else?  What would you do?

The session for you on the track is 30 x 200m. But with a difference.

You have to run one 200m per minute.

In your case Dean, the speed of each one should be 35/36 seconds which doesn't sound too fast but they all add up.

With only 25 seconds between each 200m the recovery is short but the intensity shouldn't be too high. If you keep the watch running the whole time you just set off on the zero and glance at the result 200m later.

If you overcook one or two of the 200's its easy to get back in line by running a couple of easier ones.

Its really speed endurance. The number of reps is where the endurance comes in.

As far as your system is concerned. Once you've run 30 x 200m in 35 seconds apiece. Its seems like 30 minutes of running at 4:40 min miling. Without the fatigue levels.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bare minimum running for me until the temperatures get into double figures.

Two mile warm up, couple of 600m stretches at 5:48 & 5:42 min mile pace and home again. That'll have to do for now.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

where did the 30x200m pop up Ric? That's a bit random.

Dean, slight different view to Johnas. If it's an A race I wouldn't be doing a flat out full session. Just a light one practising the race pace for the imminent race.

• Options

Dean, for what its worth I'm somewhere between SG and Johnas! I can't imagine there would be any ill-effects of tonight's session impacting on Sunday's race if you take it very easy the rest of the week. At the same time, a hard session tonight is not going to give any gains for Sunday! If you have other races coming up before too long I would do the session for continued consistent training, if not, then I would reduce the number of reps to 3 or 4.  30 x 200m would seem a really tough session to me.

Back is still sore, so am not doing a double today, with intervals this evening as planned. Even thought of skipping it altogether today, but instead, will do an easy paced XC in the gloom.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Random?

The session has been knocking around for over forty years.

Top New Zealand marathon runner John Campbell did this twice a week. I understand it was the only session he ever did. 

One of Seb Coe's as well, only he was doing 27 seconds a chuck.

If you are a distance runner and know how to play around with the session, you can do all sorts with it. Change of pace stuff.

If you know what your 10k race pace is, then 8% faster is the optimum pace for the session. For you SG that's 38 seconds per 200m.

Easy. Until you've got to number 20 or so.

I did this session a lot since I could gain a lot of benefit from it without the risk of buggering up an entire session with one overcooked long rep. 

What's the difference, 6k of running 200m at 4:40 pace or 6 x 1000m at 5:10 pace?

30 x 200m is only tough if you try sprinting it. You need to know your race pace over 10k to calculate how fast to do them.

🙂