Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Dachs looks like the bloke from Grand Designs in the artists impression picture!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I can't stop thinking he's Natalie Portman with chest hair.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I may have rather overegged the amount of chest hair that was on display, in order to underline the point.

Equally nice pic Lit.  It's a wonder SG manages to get around a half marathon in 1:15 with the weight of that head bobbing about.

Max, that's not Reading, there's a guy in the background smiling.

• Options

Dachs, plenty of guys in reading smile when they are looking at your butt, you just never see them image

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

strange turn indeed!

I assume your cry for help Dachs is because someone appears to have stolen your knee caps? 

• Options

Trawled the intenet for good pictures of cross-dressing runners but all the hits I got were for Caster Semenya (or Caster Semen-in-her).

Here is a much nicer image

http://www.catsdo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/kittyrunningfield.jpg

or if you like beer the Rebellkon Roasted Nutrs (with thanks to Great british Bake Off)

http://londoncocktailscholars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/rebellion-roasted-nuts.jpg

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

For some reason, the last few posts remind me I haven't listened to 'Derek & Clive Live' for a while.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Never heard of them Ric. 

The plan was to do some mile reps on the treadmill in the gym tonight. I was going to do 6 x 1 mile as I wasn't sure what nick I'd be in. I ended up doing 1x 2x 3.1 with 2 min recovery between each. I was feeling pretty good so decided to make the last one a 5k. 

The 1 mile was 5.27 and the 2 was 11 min. Decided to start off the 5k and see how I went and just steadily ramped the pace up. 16.32 which was very satisfying. 

Obviously there's no wind resistance etc, but I find my stride is shorter on a treadmill. 

• Options

RicF I know exactly who and what you mean now Mattl you're definately making me feel oldimage Great session on a treadmill I'm in the camp says you'd have been even faster outside all to do with kinetic energy I thinkimage

• Options

Dachs, I see a podium as well as a tape

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/submitted_images/539_61177.jpg

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers for that Phil, using your Facebook stalking skills to nick Ben's pictures I see ...

Yes, proper podium. Although it doesn't look like it, I can assure everyone that there were actually some other people there.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice work Phil...obviously Dachs wanted it up, that's why he put it up himself....

• Options

Ooh, Ben should sue for intellectual property theft.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    That is quite an entertaining fail Dachs. How on earth did you fit in a small girls top? I suppose it would weight less than the correctly sized equivalent, so a performance benefit as well as a stylish run.

Can't wear split shorts all the time. Mainly used just for racing. I get enough looks from the ladies as it is!

Not sure about treadmill running, just not sure its the same. Sounds a tad quick Matt!

Easy miles for me tonight with just 3 x 4mins at HM target pace, all good.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wow, that actually is a proper podium! Can't recall ever seeing one of those at a race!

Good session Matt. Presumably a gym treadmill to be able to go that fast?

Derek and Clive eh? If I admit just the thought of it made me laugh, then I must be  old as well image

Right, decisons, decisions! Sunday is the Ridgeway 15.5k off-roader. It's one of my favourite races, and this year would be my 10th in a row - but, just 7 days later is Abingdon, and whilst I've not managed to do quite the prep for it I originally intended, it is still very much an A race. What do we reckon - is a 10M fairly hilly race going to have a negative effect on Abingdon? (leaving aside the risk of a twisted ankle etc, as that's just one of those things). Answers on a postcard please!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, I think you know the answer to that...

surely you don't muck about racing a week before a marathon!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as im guessing you couldn't just go along and stroll it...

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

its 2 years since I started training and a tasty session as reward.

1*2 mile (5min rec) & 4*1mile (4 min rec) target pace is 5.13mm. Also a bugger of a wind, not as bad as last week but enough to make me use strong language particularly in lap 7 of the 2 miler. image

They came out 10.29, 5.13, 5.11, 5.12, 5.05.   very happy, I was down on the 2 miler (although went through 3k in 9.49) but i made the time back on the last rep image  The last rep was on pace until the last lap   Which I kicked and dropped a 68 in. 

however this training is for Leeds abbey dash 10k but looks like I can't race it now as when I got home a letter was waiting for me from the England selectors letting me know I'm in the England squad for the upcoming GB masters Xc international. Which is on the same weekend as Leeds.  whilst I'm delighted to be in the squad I am the reserve so i need a drop out to pull on the vest in anger.  a little gutted I'm not a straight pick but I didn't race in the qualifier and its Xc which is a surface I have hardly sizzled on. So I'm lucky to get in the squad really.  image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You know my view Bus...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I know, I know. I also know what the right thing to do is....but, it's the 10th in a row and a chance to get a course pb! (sometimes I am just stupid to myself - bit schizophrenic really....). hey ho. The fallback is to try and finally get a sub 18 at the Rye parkrun - altogether a lot more realistic goal for recovering in good time!

Very well done for being picked Dean! Tiny bit of a mixed blessing by the sound of it, but still. great session by the way....

SG - are you doing Gosport this year?

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

great session Dean. 

id be over the moon if I was selected for GB!! Why not run the Ribble Valley 10k in December instead? 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus i wouldn't race the week before but there are better qualified than me to give marathon advice

matt - I want to take Xmas off so ribble is out, but might look at Telford 10k instead.

• Options

Cheers for that Phil, using your Facebook stalking skills to nick Ben's pictures I see ...

don't know who Ben is, Jock Itch on fetch posted it

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

nice work indeed Dean. Let's hope you get to turn out, as otherwise it takes that fastest 10k of the year opportunity away.

Worth it though, you can always do another fast 10k, but not always get a chance like that.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

mattl, just type 'This Bloke came up to me' and utube will give you something. You'll get the idea. Then go for 'Nurse'. Base is the word.

Dean, impressive session. I'm as much as impressed with the recovery periods as anything. Dave Moorcroft used a similar high quality rep and long recovery to great effect.

🙂

• Options

Dean Well done on GB opportunity but for your info you will know if your racing GB before they won't make you travel as a reserve unless you want to (you don't get a vest if not selected) so training for Leeds will be fine and just decide when you know alternatively you could travel to Cardiff and they do another race for non selected reserves etc and by doing that you could certainly put a marker down for following years in front of selectors!! Good luck image

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Well done Deano. Even if you don't get to pull on the vest, must be nice to get the recognition. Don't rule out Abbey though as 10k training is ideal for either race you do that day.

Bus, bus, bus. In the nicest way, when have you ever listened to anyone anyway? In my opinion, it's far too close and far too risky - these next couple of weeks should be about protecting what you've got.

Before I ran Berlin last year, I asked my coach if I could do an all out effort at Maidenhead 2 weeks before. His response:

I coached a girl about 10 years ago who was training for Berlin. She ran the Glasgow half 2 weeks before at marathon pace and finished 2nd (she was pretty good). The girl who won was 2 minutes ahead on the day and she knew she could have beaten her but let her go sensibly.
    Both girls ran Berlin 2 weeks later and the girl I coached ran 2.38 to finish 3rd and also qualify for the Commonwealth Games. The other girl ran 2.50 and felt tired........

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers chaps

Rob was going to PM you but your post pretty much tells me what i needed to know.  image my plan is to travel on the saturday and have a look around and enjoy the experience (ready for next yr image) plus John D is selected for the v50 & i imagine big stu in the v40s so i will cheer them round.  im on the hover about the reserve race as it would be good to try & put a marker down but ultimately its a show race and as leeds is the following day and an A race,  i might prefer to travel after & race that.  

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, massive congratulations on the call, well deserved.  I feel a swell of thread pride!

As with Bus, I suspect you already knew the answer to the question when you asked it.  Opportunities like this don't come around often, and you'd be mad to turn it down.  Even if you don't get to run, just getting your face known within the camp must be a good thing, and I can't imagine turning it down would help future opportunities. 

Apart from anything else, these are over 40s.  One of them is bound to get injured between now and then!

• Options

It's a strange atmosphere seeing so many "old farts" in one place but by God there fast when they get going!! pass on my congrats to John D how's his injury? No doubt Big Stu will be there as he loves the X-country.