Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

confident talk old son. you would never ever hear me talking about aiming for a time 90secs or so quicker than my current half!

in fact i might not have that amount to come off in the rest of my life!

However, why not for you! you've put your highest mileage ever in, so a bit of tune up and who knows... Crispy went from 75 to 73 within a year at Wokingham, so a 74 to 73 seems pretty reasonable for you

• Options
    ioweriower ✭✭✭

Just delurking for a moment to throw a useless anecdote in there, back in his day my father-in-law (to be) went from 1:44 to 1:09 in 5 years with 1:44/1:33/1:23/1:18/1:09 - insane. I think a stress fracture stopped him in his tracks shortly after though so it serves him right.

My target a week sunday is to get under 90 minutes at Gosport, that will be over half an hour off in two years! I'm thinking the next two years' gains might be slightly more marginal.

• Options

Bloody hell, both of those beat my six and a half minutes in two years.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, I haven't run a flat out half since Wokingham this year, so 90 seconds isn't too unreasonable.  I've consistently found that my half marathon pace turns out as being about 2 secs per mile faster than the pace I hit on 5-6 mile tempo runs (which I run quite regularly, so there's a good record going backwards).  So I was running these at about 5:45 pace prior to running Wokingham (and then ran 5:43s at Wokingham), but by around April/May this was consistently down to about 5:35-5:38ish for the same perceived effort.  I know you can't 100% rely on training paces, but I also hit a strong run of racing form, including a 10K PB, in May, so I am certain that was my peak form.

Plus I know have a second period of marathon training under my belt, so the endurance should be better.

But who knows...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cripes those sound monstrously hard tempo runs..basically HMP for 6miles? Wow!
    I don't think 6-7miles at MP is a doss, and the 45mins alternating between MP and HMP certainly isn't, so honestly don't know how you handle that intensity for so long.

Iower, good luck there, I believe that's a fast course, back in 2010 when I did it i was slightly under the weather and in my notes wrote "Slower course than Wokingham", but i think that year i was thinking Wokingham was the fastest thing ever and was comparing a massive pb against the cold riddled Gosport slight underperformance.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

wait a min... 1hr 18 to 1hr 09 ?!? what the hell happened there?

If you squeezed my 11 years of racing into proper form, you could argue there was 5years of proper training in there (ignoring the wishy washy casual years) , and that was 1hr 41 to 1hr 15...but 1hr 09?! Wowzers

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

cripes those sound monstrously hard tempo runs..basically HMP for 6miles? Wow!
    I don't think 6-7miles at MP is a doss, and the 45mins alternating between MP and HMP certainly isn't, so honestly don't know how you handle that intensity for so long.

Maybe I just love pain? Otherwise why am I wearing these nipple clamps?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

keep up the good work Dachs.

if only so I can smash some reflected glory

"yeah, i'm big mates with that guy..that's the kind of quality i mix with"

ps november, looks pretty cold outside, not to mention pitch black.

THIS is where you see the benefit of having done the 2 runs already, rather than freezing your ass off alone on a track iof a friday niz!

• Options

Seeing as theres talk of Wokingham and I've been named... I entered yesterday. I've also taken a bit of a change of direction this week and begun a plan to take me up to it. The significant bit is that this is the first time in 8 years that I havent just made it up myself.

Week 1
    Monday: 30 mins Recovery run + 30 mins Cross- Training
    Tuesday: AM: 40 mins Recovery run // PM: 15 mins warm- up, 4 x 7 mins at Threshold effort with 60 secs jog recovery between efforts, 15 mins cool-down
    Wednesday: 45 mins Recovery run + Stretch
    Thursday AM: 30 mins Recovery run // PM: 45 mins Steady undulating run
    Friday: Pilates or 40 mins body weight exercises
    Saturday: 15 mins warm-up, 3 x 8 mins Kenyan Hills with 2 mins jog recovery between efforts, 15 mins cool- down
    Sunday: 90 mins Long run - Easy effort

Week 1 is easing it in a bit, but the hard sessions are harder than I've been doing -  thought I was going to die in rep 1 on Tuesday. Not looking forward to the peak in week 9 (theres a 2 hour run with the last 40 at half marathon pace).

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

Bloody hell, both of those beat my six and a half minutes in two years.

And that easily trumps my one minute and 10 sec improvement in 6 years!!

Nice session SG - looking good for the xc to come...

I had it in my head that Gosport was this Sunday - doh! Hey, ho, even if I had entered, I wouldn't be in a good enough shape to make it worth the effort.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Surely that's not all you've improved in 6 years Bus? I'm sure I remembered you'd done at least that in one Wokingham?

Crispy, i'm sure I've said it before, but if you did some proper training you could be seriously good image

• Options

I guess its a matter of priorities and wanting it. This may be the 'proper' training that makes some difference but personally I think there is only so much progress to be made now

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Crispy went from 75 to 73 within a year at Wokingham, so a 74 to 73 seems pretty reasonable for you

SG do you know anyone else with a 75 round here who might make a leap forward in February?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You certainly have to WANT IT

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PC2 wrote (see)

I guess its a matter of priorities and wanting it. This may be the 'proper' training that makes some difference but personally I think there is only so much progress to be made now

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Crispy went from 75 to 73 within a year at Wokingham, so a 74 to 73 seems pretty reasonable for you

SG do you know anyone else with a 75 round here who might make a leap forward in February?

I know someone who will certainly not be doing Wokingham as his next half, having seen the cast of faster runners who are turning up on masse imageimage

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/croc.png

That's better.

So Dachs, now we know.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

I know someone who will certainly not be doing Wokingham as his next half, having seen the cast of faster runners who are turning up on masse imageimage

Samir?

• Options

'fraid so SG - Feb 2006 1.19.56 at Wokingham, April 2012, 1.18.46 at Paddock Wood.

Are those clamps good for stopping rain related chafing then, or does it just cause premature oxidation?

• Options

All this talk of a fast half makes me want to try it at Wokingham! Maybe a bit far to travel...

Was feeling very flat this morning, so spent a bit of time flicking through the first couple of dozen posts on the thread. Have to say, some cracking progress been made since the start. Top job lads.

14 miles for me, av pace of 07:56 (easy pace). Longest run I've done since the marathon in April. Have not missed the dull ache in my legs.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scottish, I can't think of a faster course within our 30-40mile type radius, but i'm sure you'd find equally fast/faster closer to you!

Every year I do Wokingham I find it bumpier than the year before, despite having pbd 4 years in a row (heck, that's a pressure streak!)

For an excuses legend, i'm surprised I didn't make much of what in hindsight was quite bad conditions last year, into those last 3 miles that have the inclining bridges that you don't think anything of when you fly out earlier in the race!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

all this talk of improvements made me check my po10.  i went from 84.xx to 74.15 in my first 12 months of training.  but its not my distance...far to long image 

dachs you should be targeting 73  with 72.30 as a stretch and make sure you dont get the cheap clamps as they rust and lock in the wet.

fast training paces SG

get on the mara training SS - i think you would benefit to completely change your training just to create a new stress which will unlock new performances.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you had a hell of a progression, but we smelt it early with you Dean with some of those ridiculous paces on the track you were doing!

I'm definitely in favour of hyping the pressure on Dachs and Crispy at Wokingham image

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

ScottishRunner10 wrote (see)

All this talk of a fast half makes me want to try it at Wokingham! Maybe a bit far to travel...

Let's all do Wokingham. image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

when is wokingham?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

early/mid Feb.

Which is an unusual half time, most are proper spring /March/April.

• Options

Wokingham (9th Feb) isn't the fastest round here, just it comes at a good time when a lot of people want to run fast and can't afford £36 to run Reading: daylight f***ing robbery.

ricF, Johnny Knoxville from Jackass: quality Friday night beer viewing.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Reading has 2 hills though Phil, and doing a faster time there then Wokingham I can only imagine is down to higher quality field, and being 4-5weeks later in the year.

Silverstone is fast, but someone like me would be coming top 10 out of 6,000, so that says it all..

any others Phil? Dorney,4 laps of a lake, with poor quality field?

• Options

Up north, march... Wilmslow is a goodun. Quality field, fast course. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, Jackass. Swimming in sewage was one I remember. 

Hillingdon Half Marathon, 23rd March. A lot less than Reading.

🙂

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Wokingham clashes with the UKA recommended league XC date. As in most clubs will be doing XC that weekend. So can't make it.

Wilmslow not PO10 either?

Got XC race today, hopefully won't break anything and have a nice little run around. Good luck anyone else racing.