Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

either way, this should definitely be the year that the guy who every year, lines up right on the start line in big thick fluorescent jacket who runs 1hr 50 is told to back the heck away from the fast guys

You'd think the being overtaken by 1,000 runners in the first 2miles might bea  giveaway.

• Options

Bus/Seb... my abductor seems to be playing up a bit too. Just feeling a bit tight/limited ROM in the cool down. Annoying!

800m+200m hard looks like a good session Iron. Must try that one out.

8miles easy yesterday. 10miles today inc Tempo in the middle (10min @ 10k pace) - (3min, 2min, 1min, 1min, 2min, 3min @ 10k pace with half recoveries) (7min @ 10k pace). Hate tempo work!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Tough session SR10.

Iron, no a 72 minute estimate would definitely not be too conservative!

I think Samir would stick down 76 or 77. Once he has to actually pin down a time for a specific race, he suddenly becomes a little more sensible. 

• Options

Samir. sensible?? What???

Scottish - I hate tempo runs too! They do work though. What's the diffference between adductor and abductor? Quick google didn't help only confirmed that there are both! I thought Seb had spelled abductor wrong to start, but he hadn't. 

Stick down 72 then dachs, but go for a 70 image

Fluoro guy doesn't help when you find some numpty has dumped their car a few hundred meters after the start either!

25.4M at lunch today in 1:30, including a 2:07 mile image. No I'm not Samir - it was on a bike, and half of that mile was down a very big hill! 

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

the guy who every year, lines up right on the start line in big thick fluorescent jacket.

Hang on, warm clothing, lines up on the start line in an attempt to 'lead the race'... is he Samir?

• Options

Jacket is not cool enough for Samir image

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Missed you mentioning your County Marathon Champ moniker Dachs, nice touch to add to your fast time. Could be Sub 73 to target for Woky? Your supposed to be building back up slowly but you tried 5k pace reps, ouch! P&D served you well didn't it? In the 5week recovery plan all it shows is easy running and strides.

Tough run there Scottish, 10k pace for that length isn't a shy session is it!

I'm sure adductor is inside the leg and is possibly what most people call groin strain? Or is groin strain closer to the crown jewels? Abductor is outside leg/hip area. If you stand up and raise your leg like your going to step onto a big box, then you go outwards with the leg and bring it back in. I think one motion is adductor contracting and the other abductor contracting. Probably outwards works outer muscle and drawing leg back in is inner leg muscle, or adductor. Either way nasty little muscles once strained.

I was wondering what percentage of this threads running is on roads? All miles not being since harder surfaces batter the joints etc. Surely your not doing 70MPW all road SG? Im convinced that would destroy me. I'm only doing club sessions on road. So maybe 30%/70% on/off road for me.
  • Options

Sounds like a good explanation Seb. I would agree re road miles. I think part of why so many of u suffer after a marathon is the amount of miles on the road in training. I know myself that I switch from almost exclusively off-road long runs, to almost all on-road in the run up to a marathon. I think the variation in stride length, pace etc proabbly helps as much as the hardness of the surface as well.

Getting cheesed off with the RW forums! I keep losing this thread of the followed thread list for no apparent reason. Everytime I go back on it defaults to sending email updates, even though I've switched that all off a hundred times image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seb, I think you're slipping dangerously into "your knees must be bad" territory with that road comment!

I think sometimes offroad actually rucks you up more. Think about it this way, steep offroad hills or flat road? What's more taxing?

I think it's way more important to have a coach looking after your schedule, taking note of things. I'd be scared to go back into the world of the unknown making your own stuff up...

When offroad, it's sometimes hard to realise to yourself, this is harder surface/hills etc, and the easy stuff comes out too fast.

Building up over time is certainly key too. A year or so ago, a couple of 70+ weeks broke me down. This is the 5th 70+ mile week in a row, and that had a 64 and 67 ahead of it too. Feels much better this time round.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Barring my venture once a week onto a treadmill pretty much all of my running is on the road. 

• Options

Talk of Wokingham reminded me it was time to enter: 1:20 estimated time for the record. Plan is the same as 2012: lets Dachs come past me in the last mile or so and stay within 17 seconds of himimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember 2012 too Phil.

Dachs trailing in, gave him 5mins of my time afterwards, a smile and a signed t shirt.

Now the cheeky dastard has overtaken me and sailed off into the sunset. image

• Options

Just reinforces what a phoenomenal progression Dachs has made over the last 18 months!

I was going to enter today (having checked with them I hadn't alreadyimage) but some bastard has skimmed my card so I can't buy anything except with cash until a new one arrives!!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

If I'm not running on the track I'm running on the road. But that said off road is better for you as every step is different so working diff musclesl whereas every step on roads is the same.  So you work the same muscles over and over again.

6*800 & 1*200 for me tonight. 800 target was 2.40 off 2 mins.  All came out 2.39 Found them comfortable. As well I should with that recovery but I'm building confidence so I will go harder next time. 200 was 29s. slowly getting back.  Too late for Leeds but maybe in time for Telford.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

shame Leeds is out Dean, that race seems to produce some mental results. Pal of a girl I know did a mid 32 there, and his other 5 10ks within 4months of it were all mid 33s... a whole minute quicker? Amazing.

Bus, any idea how that happened? On holiday somewhere? Touch wood never happened to me yet, but i'm so far behind in technology, I tend to carry the exact money to places....which will massively blow up in my face one day i'm certain!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Haha its not a dangerous comment since I've been playing with my punchbag in the gym and your even more of a flyweight than me image

Obviously as the weather is deteriorating my off road training is becoming more difficult, more XC than trail as the fields and canal paths become muddier, so just gauging whether I can handle more road miles, last year when I was more road based my knee gave me some jip but It would be nieve to solely attribute it to the harder surface. However I have build up mileage slowly and am hopefully more resilient. Time will tell.

Oh and its downhills that are dangerous regardless of surface, overstretching the hammys and general quad fatigue.

You have given me the idea of trying a heart rate monitor, so I can be 100% I'm not running my easy off roaders too fast. Garmin is slowly dying so might get a HRM compatible when I upgrade.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Funny you say that Seb....For some of you longer posting chaps, you probably remember ALD.

Good guy, very much along the Stevie See levels of supportiveness and being an all round good chap.

Anyway, after marriage and child, he basically switched from our levels of training, and switched it up to more gym training.

I meet up with him a few times a season for United games . And it is quite funny, as every time I see him he seems to have increased in muscle mass, whereas to him I've become even more a weasley running build!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Blimey is Leeds really that quick? I'm entered but its not exactly just down the road so having second thoughts about travelling all that way for a potential FAIL. Will decide a few days before the race.

We need to be lean don't we, no need to carry useless weight over long distances. Can't seem to dip much below 69 - 70kg, not that I'm on a strict diet or 'owt. My gym work is just core work, vertcal leg press and some bodyweight upper body work like press ups, pull ups, monkey bars! Etc.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Whoops, I don't want to hype a course up I haven't done, as that's not fair to peeps doing it!

But that guy's PO10 shocked me. As did that ex Marlow guy Ben Livesey who took 40secs off his pb last year! And he was already on 30.42 or so!

To me gym work will always be a "Nice to have", as there's only so much time, and the running and the strengthening/exercises I do have to take preference. They're probably more important for me personally.

However, i'm sure some of us have done fast paced track stuff and thought...not sure I have the strength for this pace, so it  becomes more important the shorter the distance you do

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

My weight was always around the 11 stone mark until the summer but now seem to be around the 10 1/2 mark nowadays. 

Up until a week or so ago I was doubtful about doing Leeds, especially after dying over the last mile at the 5 mile race. Managed to get some decent running in and hopefully things are coming together. Will try a 1000 reps session on tthe track either sat or Tuesday. 

ill set off aiming for a sub 33 and see what happens. I was expecting the Ribble Valley 10k to be my best bet of it after my recent injury troubles. 

• Options

Leeds is that fast! The fact the course is quick and the quality field (being the English 10K road champs). I'm doing it but I can't work out what kind of form I'm in. I just feel unfit but I know I'm not. Weird one.

Re ALD, seen a few snaps of him on FB recently... he's a unit now! Put in some serious work he has!

Another track session tonight 6min, 4 x 1mn, 4mins, 4 x 1min, 2min.

6 mins was @tempo, 4 x 1min was just over 300m, 4 min was @ 10K, 4 x 1min 300m again, and the 2min was another 10K pace. Felt horrendous throughout, felt drained all day though so glad I did something.

Update on the marathon debut, I've pretty much got a club place for London if I want it... still not convinced now is the right time.

• Options

Stevie, the right time is when you want it mate! There is no rush...

Seb, surely you need to keep your upper body highly toned like a Greek God for those Spartan races image

Not sure how the card thing happened SG. The bank said it could have been on line, in a shop, petrol station anything really. Most likely just a dodgy member of staff noting the details. The bank were very good though - they picked up on the unusual transactions, put a stop on the card and got in touch with me before I had even noticed anything! They also immediately refunded the £400 that had been spent in couple of hours (all online so no pin) before their systems spotted it. Quite impressed really.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds like they got there just at the right time. Must be right old hassle.

Stevie, the "by mins" sessions always sound odd to me as mine are almost always distance based, but sounds good none the less.
    I suppose it's a different game of mental fun, but also ensures you get certain times at a distance instead of monstering it too hard or too slow.

session up in 30mins is 4 1milers at increasing paces. HMP, Tempo x2 and 10k.

Just deciding whether to go dull but easier to pace on the track, or a right old monster along the pavements, using motorists as motivation! Obviously you get some slight undulations, roads, random stuff to avoid to make it harder!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

BTW, what did you do in between 2011 and 2012 with respect to HM training?

At the risk of sounding a little glib, I trained.  Those half marathons in 2011 were off the back of a single run a week, and, prior to that, 14 years of doing no proper sport at all. From October 2011 on I started running 4, then 5/6 times per week, and the improvement between early and later 2012 was also to do with adding in 5-6 milers at half marathon pace, which I did on a regular basis as part of a 10-miler. 

I remember running with PMJ just ahead of me for most of Wokingham 2012, thinking I was doing pretty well to still be not far behind him.

SG - get on the roads, HM pace feels deathly slow on the track.

Seb - yes, that is a very good point re P&D, can't argue with you.  I did leave it a week later to get back down the track than I did last year, but I probably could have left it.  To be honest though, I was mainly motivated by the social aspect, as virtually all of my running in the last few months has been on my own.  Should have just toned down the pace a little.

Bus - sounds a right pain. 

I virtually always run on roads. So, at the peak of marathon training that was 80mpw + on roads.  It’s just not that simple for me to get out onto trails etc, particularly since much of running is to work and back.  However, I've scoped out a local bit of grassland with some lumps and bumps that I'm hoping to use as a tempo training route over the winter to build a bit of XC strength, but it can only be in daylight, which makes it tricky.   I'm also going to introduce some hill reps, as it probably doesn't help me that I have done four hill rep sessions in total since 2011.

• Options

Lots of road miles for me. All surfaces have their pros and cons and shoes are imortant. If you do 80 miles a week then 500 miles comes up quickly and that is the period manufacturers recommnd replacement. I normally let them go to about 1000 but that still means a pair of tariners lasts just one marathon campaign.

XC for me on Sunday, first of the season. We host the event and it falls on Remembrance Sunday so the bugle call at the War Memorial over the river marks the start of two minutes silence and then 5.75 miles of fields more than real cross country. Feels odd as the league starts late, other leagues have their second race on Saturday and we won't start till Sunday and even then it still doesn't feel like XC until the next race in 2 weeks' time which is up and down a tank testing ground so lots of mud.

I've done the course twice, once at 6 m/m (12th overall) and once at 6:30 (injured last year, 50th overall) so would hope to mange somewhere closer to the 6 pace.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    .Seb wrote (see)
    Looks like Johnas is being very sensible with Marathon recovery. You back running yet?

Nope. In fact, and picking up on Phil's point, I don't even own a pair of trainers at the moment (all have over 1000 miles on them!). Will go out for a little 30mins jog tonight though maybe.

Looks like we're coming from the same place Dachs re: winter plans. next race for me is Wokingham and the winter is looking like a few XC races and lots of hill/strength work. going to ease myself back into it over the next fortnight - nothing but easy running for me.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, went track in the end. Just thought i didn't fancy messing about with any obstacles to hit the paces today.

Think I probably presumed HMP would be a doss compared to tempo and 10k so it woke me up a bit! However once I was warm, the other paces came off nicely.

Phil, Datchet should always be the start of our series. Every so often they try and add a race before, but it's normally rejected as it clashes with the back end of the road season.
    You can't really compare the saturday leagues to our series. They're all intense with races strictly separated by gender and age, on fairly non descript courses, whereas ours is an all in more fun social rampage across all manner of terrain.

Obviously the quality is thicker in the saturday league, that happens when you have way more clubs and AC/Harrier inclusion, but you can't tell me the front runners in our races are exactly mugs.

I've grown to love some of these races, after in 2006 declaring i'd never do them again!

Having said that I dislike Datchet's course. It's the one race of the series where there's no semblance of tactics it's simply a leg speed race.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sounds like Datchet would be my ideal course to be honest.  I'm not exactly a brilliant racing tactician, and it sounds like the closest to a road race.  I won't be there though.

Wokingham entered.  73 minutes the official target.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

maybe you should have a look at the Hampshire Saturday xcs then, they'll be similar to Datchet, grass and mud basically.
    Another reason they wouldn't suit me is the start times, clash with saturday footy watching.

is that 73 as in 73.59 will do, or as in the kind of 72 that is beyond half way so you struggle to call it a 72 image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

If we're talking specifics, I'd say closer to 73:00 than 73:59, but not at this stage aiming for sub 73:00.  But it's a long way out for those kind of specifics.

Yeah, I may consider a Hampshire XC race or two.  If nothing else, it will keep my ego nicely in check.