Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Hope all goes okay Dean. Any useful info for sorting tight glutes and piriformis let me know as mine are tight too. Really poor flexibility round there.

Bus - I'm booked up next Wed with the Chester Spring 5 mile.

Rob - I thought it would loosen me up doing 200s! Feel okay today but it's hard to be confident about next Wed.

Easy 3 and 7 today.

Johnus, they are doing a similar track festival at Trafford with a day of 10,000 races like Highgate. It's September time so hopefully I'll be in decent shape then!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey, there was tumble weed blowing around this thread yesterday, but not it's back and buzzing (anyone would think there was a race on this weekend image)

Rob - good recovery from the man flu that!

Dean - no matter what injury I go to the physio with the always say its realted to my back! Probably at least and element of truth - good luck with getting it sorted either way.

Johnas - you are ready for Samir's attacks aren't you with your Mo stylee half image. I do think that we all get a bit fixated on PBs and forget why we run sometimes! Nothing wrong with being focussed (indeed its essential to get anywhere!) but every now and again its nice to just run for pleasure again.

Stevie - shame, knock me dead at Chester  instead though!

Lunch reps for me today. Came out quite well, though had to increase the rec from 60 to 90 from the 3rd rep, with 5 x 1k in 3:33, 3:27, 3:28, 3:29, 3:25. Uneveness reflects the fact that it up and then down a slight slope and a bit windy at times. Happy with that, as it's the fastest 1k rep session I've done, but didn't feel excessively hard. It is also sandwiched between a 14 mile ride in to work and same home tonight!

• Options

Really quick reps those Bus! Would you say they felt 5K or closer to 10K effort? I'm doing my staple 8 x 1KM of 90 tomorrow. It's such a buzz when you do a K session the best you've ever done it!

Next time stick to 90 and do the 'full' session image I bet you could've rattled out another 3! Looks like things are getting back to the their best!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers all and thanks tiptop I will try the hot bath / water bottle.

stevie see, depending on how track goes this summer i might do the 10000m trafford fest.

good session there bus.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In reply to the enquiries. Yes I am running, but only 5 or 6 miles every other day. On every day including the running, I go on the indoor bike but lock the resistance right up and stand on the pedals.

Do that for 20 minutes or so and its a toss up between thighs going numb and hitting about 95% of HR max.

No injuries or aches at all now. And due to dropping half a stone in weight since the Southern 12 stage, now bouncing along at around seven minute miling with no real effort involved.

However, ramping up the speed to sub six soon finds me out. Horrible! I feel like sticking to the slow stuff.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Stevie. Definitely 5k pace rather than 10k. Felt I could have done another couple fo reps, but had to get back to work - that's the trouble with trying to squeeze the speed sessions into a lunch break!  It's funny, I thought the bike ride home tonight would be a grind, but it was actually fine. 

That's a lot of weight off in a short time Ric! That indoor bike session will have you climbing like Ueli Steck image

• Options

Arrgh! Just typed a post and it disappeared! 

• Options

2nd threshold day on trot 45 mins this time covered 7.69 miles at 5.51 pace then did 1 mile warm down at 6.42 wierd how easy that mile felt!!

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Bus - Samir can have a go when his 10k, HM and marathon times are anywhere close to mine image

Iron - that's why I know write all my posts elsewhere then copy and paste into here. I don't think I'm alone in doing that

Ric - that's great to hear. Maybe consider an ultra?

Rob - similar session for me tonight (3x 15 mins off 60 sec recovery). Any reason why you've done 2 days on the trot?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, I've worked the weight off thankfully, which is the way to do it. Its a temporary phase: Do some training, eat breakfast (light) and then work for six hours on nothing but cups of tea.

Johnas, an ultra! probably not. One reason behind my lack of running based damage is simply knowing where my limits are. I've tested those enough in the past which is why even HM's have gone by the by.

Mind you, my club mate Chris (Finill) has suggested the same.

🙂

• Options

Johnas - I've actually got 3 days on trot as tonight is 1k reps the threshold days are not supposed to be classed as hard days just strong paced runs,when I did the lactic threshold tests then this pace was expected to be around 6.12 but it's already progressed to under 6 min pace? They Guy who's advising me says stick at it and I will see the results but not yet mentally it's tough but I'm trying to stay focused and convince myself threshold is just a word and it's actually a hard steadyimage

• Options

Good luck to all at London this weekend... enjoy it, I'm excited for you image xx

• Options

Thanks Johnas, I'll try again!
    The race is PowermanUK, a long distance duathlon (10k run/60k bike/10k run). I'd considered dropping down to the sprint but my coach suggested that as we were aiming for this distance we should do it. I need to get to grips with nutrition and see if there is any dormant speed in my legs.

Lit - maybe you should run with a fake beard too?

Bus, is the total distance still below your niggle threshold or is that being pushed too?

Matt - I know what you mean about clubs. I was going to resign from my running club and use my tri club as first claim. Problem is the tri club are now not UKA affiliated. So to remain a UKA member I either need to join a more local club or stay as a less-than-sporadic member of my current running club. It's annoying as there is no coaching at the run club, and having a coach of my own now means I tend to do things on my own and not with groups.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Lit - maybe you should run with a fake beard too?

Are you insinuating that Johnas's beard is not all his own work?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

or that Lit couldn't grow a beard if she chose toimage

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Iron-all distances to be raced are shorter in both time and distance than my longest recent runs (unless i do the Anniversary Waltz). The biggest unknown is how the leg will react to the long, steep downhills...

• Options

Rob you are a beast! But be careful, keep an eye on that calf mate! Did you do those tests at Loughborough uni? Katie from our group went their hoping she was going to be told she's best suited to the marathon. They said her strength was 5K, 2 weeks later she runs 15:29 at the Stanford Invitation! They must know something!

Johnas, 3 x 15mins sounds like a pretty tough tempo session! Is that true tempo (10mile/HMP) or a bit slower?

easy run this morning, 8 x 1KM @10K off 90 tonight. I seem to love this session for some reason. It should give me a good indication of how I'll fair over 5 miles next week.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Good sessions there Rob. 

I found a 6 week advanced 10k plan which I am going to have a crack at the last 3/4 weeks before Manchester 10k in May. Picked the last session which was 5x 1 mile + 1x 800 off 45 secs. :-/ changed the recoveries to a minute to see how I fared.

5.15- 5.12- 5.09- 5.11- 5.12- then 2.26 for the 800. 

will do it off 45 secs next time. Felt pretty controlled but had a decent 10x800 session before Trafford and still died on my arse come race day. image 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Looking at my garmin, some reps were just over a mile so a couple were 5.10 and a 5.07.

• Options

Great session Matt! Is that 10K plan the one that starts with 6 x 1mile? The one from McMillan running? Those mile reps are not far off my all out mile PB. Sickens me!! image

I did 8 x 1KM off 90. Reps came as: 3:30, 3:31, 3:32, 3:34, 3:32, 3:35, 3:32, 3:31.

It felt pretty tough both on the legs and lungs. But I'll put that down to this chesty cough I have still. image If I can do the Chester 5 at this pace I'll go under 29 minutes which is the target.

Not sure if I should do another session on Saturday or try to ease down. Will see how the easy run goes tomorrow.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

This is it Stevie,

Week 1:

2-3 mile warm-up, 16 x 400 meters at 10k goal race pace with 30 seconds rest, 1-2 mile cool down

Week 2:

2-3 mile warm-up, 10 x 800 meters at goal 10k pace with 45 second rest, 1-2 mile cool down

Week 3:

2-3 mile warm-up, 3 miles at 10k goal race pace with 60 seconds rest, 5 x 1000 meters at 5k goal pace with 60 second rest, 1-2 mile cool down

Week 4:

2-3 mile warm-up, 8 x 1000 meters at goal 10k pace with 30 second rest, hammer interval #7 as fast as you can, 1-2 mile cool down

Week 5:

2-3 mile warm-up, 3 x 2 miles at 10k goal race pace with 90 seconds rest, 1-2 mile cool down

Week 6:

2-3 mile warm-up, 5 x 1 mile at goal 10k race pace, hammer #4 as fast as you can, with 45 seconds rest, 1 x 800 meters as fast as you can, 1-2 mile cool down

Week 7: Race week

2-3 mile warm-up, 2 x 1 mile at 3k-5k pace w/5 min rest, 2 x 400 meters at mile pace w/3 minutes rest, 2 mile cool down.

You should perform one tempo or threshold workout in addition to these 10k specific workouts each week. Your long run should be 12-16 miles, depending on your total weekly mileage.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very good sessions there guys. Good splits with raspy lungs Stevie and Matt, those mile reps are obscene (especially as it was just any old fanny!). Some interesting 10k sessions in that schedule - might try and take some of those on board.

10k hilly off-road tonight at possibly too hard a pace given I'm racing on Saturday, but it just came out that way! Nice run either way and a rest day tomorrow travelling oop north.

May not get to post again before Sunday, so all the very best to our VMLMers, Lit, Dachs and Philip (and Johnas image). You've all done everything that could be done, so now is the time to focus, and put all of that hard work to good use! Fingers crossed that the weather is kind and you all get out of it what you want.

• Options

I like the look of some of those sessions. The 3 x 2mile would have me bent over double though at 10K pace! Might look to slot some of those in as we get closer to the GMR.

• Options

Quite some sessions there! Some very achievable, some look painful. As Bus said,  good luck! 

• Options

Great session Matt - Paces excellent and my God is that some structure to your speed workimage

Very Good k's Stevie See image

The Bus - Hope race goes ok and watch those downhill sections and that injury!!

Finally London Marathon Guys and Gals (PMJ,Dachs,Lit and Johnas' mate) hope your wrapped up in cotton wool and have a great run and day I'll be around to watch and hopefully pick you out and cheer you along I'm planning to be at Mile 6 , 13.5/21.5 and just after 25

I attempted speed session last night after two tough threshold runs did 2.25 mile WU, 5 x 1K (2mins recov) came out 3.07,3.11,3.07,3.09 and 3.08 then did 5k WD but found myself picking up pace feeling fine ran it in 19.20 went 4.04,4.05,4.02,3.44,3.25 now it's time for an easy day!! I am planning to do Spring 5 next Wednesday and I'm going for sub 27 image

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Ric – I’m with you. Just because you can do an Ultra is no reason to be so stupid and go and do oneimage

RobT – the ‘difficulty’ of my threshold days definitely varies depending on the  duration of the interval. So, 5x 5mins is obv relatively easy but 3x 15mins or 3x 20mins can be tough going. Sometimes it’s tougher mentally than it is physically, especially as I do it on a track. Nice session last night though – what was the target for the 1k pace? As fast as you can?

SS – my threshold seems to have settled at around 5.30min miling and is as you say, between 10mile/HMP. Jack Daniels has it as 5.36m/m so not a million miles off. I tend to cover 2.75miles in each rep. Now you can see why my school report at Eastleigh was a ‘must try harder’ (averaged 5.34 pace, tut tut). Next week it’s a full out 40min threshold run so would expect a bit of drift per mile. Wish I had your enthusiasm for 1k rep sessions – great job by the way! I’ve got 2x 5x 1k @ 10k pace off 90 tomorrow (3mins between sets) and the legs just don’t like them at the moment. Paces seem to be coming out ok but running just doesn’t feel fluid at the moment and everything from easy running to track sessions just feel like a chore. I guess it’s just a case of sticking with it and hoping things click soon.

Matt – great session. Week 3 of that plan looks like a retch fest though! Jesus. 3 mile sat 10k pace followed by a 5k PB (even if there are rest intervals!).

Bus – Good luck tomorrow. I’m sure you’ll be like a pig in sh1t

Lit – going to drop you a PM re: Sunday so keep ‘em peeled.

• Options

Johnas  - k's last night not as fast as I can but in HR zone of 162-171 which I don't hit until about 1.20-1.30 (min sec) into rep then it stays at around 166/167 my flat out HR is 172. Having said that I was tired but I put that down to previous 2 days and I don't think I could have gone much quicker last night maybe 1st 3 as felt comfortable but last 2 tough!!

Threshold for me is continuous running Tue 60 mins and Wed 45 mins again in HR zone 150-161

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good sessions going on Matt, rob and stevie.  all looking fast.

i agree rob, sub 27 looks a strong possibility.

Matt, love the way you get a training plan and then start by leaping straight to week 6 session image

in case i forget, good luck with all the marathons this weekend. 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dean, hahaha, I did week 6 as Salford is next week so was probably some sort of indicator of what I could run.

Fast reps them Rob! On the back of two tough days too. There's no way I could hit them after that training.

Good luck Bus at coledale, it's my old clubs club champs race so should be a fair few from Clayton.

Good luck to the marathon bunch! Can't wait for it.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

lunch 6m and just ran to feel.  first few came out 6.20 then i calmed it down a bit to ave 6.33.   the injury now feels like a tender bruise type pain, where a few days ago felt tight / very sore and a few days before was searing pain. So definate improvement.  a few more days and hope i can get back on the track with some fast stuff. image