Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

good news Dean. literally steps in the right direction!

Rob - i forgot you were doing the HR thing. I know there was a discussion on the pros and cons on here recently but it seems to be working out well for you so far.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ah the HR thing. My flat out rate is 173bpm, problem is I don't go too fast with it.

Here's one for the files. I once had a resting HR of 35 bpm, whereas a fellow runner had a resting rate of 45bpm.

I could take my HR to mid 190's. They could also. Question: Who was the fitter and who was faster?

Answer: Not me by a street.

The reason was that once up to speed, say 6:30 minute mile pace, my HR was 165bpm, my fellow runner's HR was only 130bpm.

That's the difference between a runner like me and a 4 minute mile international.

HR is one thing. What you can do with it, another.

🙂

• Options

RicF I didn't mean 172 was my Max HR typed that wrong 172 is supposed to be my fast training Zone which I haven't tried yet as I've been encouraged to get used to regular threshold pace running and Tempo/long interval session once a week and then I can train in the top zone (think I may collapse in that zone)image

• Options

My max is mid -high 190s. Resting measured at 51 mid week which is an improvement on recent weeks. 

The low HR stuff I'm doing is to push the lactate boundary,  the aim being that the body becomes more economic and has a lower HR for a given speed that before. 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Fast reps Rob, impressive! And good to see Dean on the mend.

Prettt nervous now. Didnt sleep brilliantly last night. Woke up sweating once, which i hope is not an indicator of any kind of illness.

Super easy parkrun in a few minutes.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

RobT, I think we are on the same wavelength with this one. The 173bpm is my sustainable racing HR. Once over that, I blow up.

At the recent Middx Vets XC my final HR hit 177bpm, but last year I managed to hit on one occasion 183bpm. I recovered from that effort. In about a week.

Good luck with the races, especially the marathon tomorrow.

Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

🙂

• Options

Good luck to the London gang for tomorrow. The hay is in the barn so they say, just go out and do what you've trained for.

Did a 3 and 7 yesterday. Lots of stretching and rolling to ease the arse area up a bit. Ended spending 40min in total! Didn't even open my eyes today until 11:30 so I must have needed a good kip.

An easy 9 today then easing off slightly for the Spring 5. 4 miles tomorrow, Monday off and a sports massage, easy 3 Tuesday. Race Wed. Just need the rattling on my chest to ease a bit more.

Heart rate stuff is quite interesting, my resting rate is 46ish, my max being 194. Not sure how helpful it is for racing or hard training as you have to push your limits so you won't be staying in the 'zone.' It is good to see how 'easy' easy runs are, sometimes I run a 7:00min/mile run and think it was easy then realise my HR was a bit too high.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Right, Coledale Horshoe done today. What a shocker!!! Over 7 mins slower than last time I did it!!

It didn't get off to the best start, as the pre race briefing ended, just as I noticed a safety pin undone. As I was wearing gloves, I had take my gloves off and pin my number back on all just after the "go" in the mad dash to clear the start field. Consequently I got a bit boxed in when it came to the start of the 2000foot first climb up to Grisedale Pike. Conditions became pretty atrocious at times, with gale force winds blowing us sideways after Grisedale Pike and across the aptly named Sail, mixed with zero visibility and freezing rain. Too windy to even make a hat out of my buff! I even had ice form on one arm, but got a special mention by the marshalls as I was still only in a vest-so much for being a soft southerner.imageMy climbing was good and I was about 18th at the top of Grisedsle Pike, but lost dozens of places thanks to my totally shit descending, with little old ladies streaming past me! My descending was even worse than normal I think, as I haven't done any fell running for ages. Normally this race comes at the end of a week in the Lakes. It will be interesting to see how others times were affected by the conditions.

The main highlights were being well placed to the first top, having my vest pointed out and the tea, cake and tuna rolls at the end! Right, now I've got that off my chest, I'm off to explore where we are staying before sinking some beers!

Good luck all the marathoners tomorrow!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Massive good luck to all you madcap marathoners for tomorrow. Hope it goes great for you all. I'll be looking out for you on TV!

Not been reading much on here but that track session Matt looked fairly special.

Glad to hear your recovering from your niggle Dean!

As least your on the fells Bus, good fun but sounds cold up top!

• Options

So good luck to all tomorrow.

Well done Bus. A great outing! 

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    I bet you loved it Bus... If anyone loves torturing them self, it's you!

Good luck to PMJ, Dachs and Lit tomorrow. You've done the hard work. Time to nail it.
  • Options
    Good luck to marathoners today
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Dachs on 2:36:07 pace at 10km..
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Just a quick one: got to halfway and wasn't on pace and with the recent injury woes decided it wasn't going to benefit anyone by pushing on so dropped out at Tower Bridge. I beat Mo to the finish with the help of a tube.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bad news Philip.  no doubt a hard decision to make but im sure the correct one.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wasn't aware of any injuries Phil, or was it the gout? Well done on toeing the line though.

When I attempted to drop out of the London marathon once, I asked a spectator the best way to the finish (I meant via train). They pointed down the course, 'that ways best'. I got the message.

🙂

• Options

Not any real injury, just the gout, but that compromised the last 2 week's training. I needed 1:24 as an easy first half and 1:26 to hit 2:50 and I was labouring from about 8 miles and wasn't going to hit 1:24

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bad news and bad luck Philip, but good decision as you live to fight another day. We were following you on the tracker and wondered what happened.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very well done to Lit! Target obliterated and looking at the splits, you seem to have picked up Philip's mantle by giving a text book demonstration of how to run a marathon!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Phil. At least you knew your way homeimage

Another time, another year. Lots of life left in the old dog yetimage
  • Options

Hard decision to make Phil, but well done for doing so.

I got back from my 70min run (hardcore) and tracked a few people. I'd wondered if your chip had problems.

Well done Dachs, Lit and half-well done Johnas.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Sogswash wrote (see)
    Dachs on 2:36:07 pace at 10km..

That bit was OK. Shame about the rest.

Brief summary - set out somewhere between 5:55 and 6:00. At 10k deliberately backed off, although still felt Ok. At 10m I realised it was going to be tough. Halfway in 1:18:40. At 15 I started struggling and it was a death march from 18. Didnt walk but wanted to. Home in 2:42. Gutted really, and no idea what went wrong. Should not have started struggling so early.

But class performance from Lit, smashed the hell out of it.

Commiseratiins to PMJ.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    And I beat both you and Mo, PMJ! I was waiting for a 'gopher' to get my bag at the finish and saw you collecting yours. A bit too far to shout but guessed things hadn't gone to plan.

A tough day Dachs. As discussed afterwards, I've got that tshirt and it's a hard one to wear. I console myself with the fact that it's still a time most dream of and no one can take it away from you.

And to Lit. F*&king nailed it. Epic. You may have dropped me reasonably early but I knew you had it in the bag. Awesome running! Enjoy the large gin (or two)

And to Speedy Goth - not from this thread but another fantastic sub 3 run from the forum and paced it amazingly. Thoroughly good fun running with you
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hello all. Sorry to hear about PMJ's injury woes but glad to hear you dropped out at a sensible point - no point slogging all the way to the end and compromising several weeks of running just to say you have. Lovely to meet Dachs and Johnas. Sorry I dumped you so early Johnas, but you got to help 3 people get a sub 3! And it was just too crowded around 5 miles to try and join up with you again so I decided not to bother.

Oh, and 2:56:33, for anyone who hasn't already stalked it out. image

Plus, obviously, thanks to SG for a whole year of top quality coaching! Though not so much for the new pace zones. image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Congrats lit.

Congrats dachs, a 2.42 is only 2 mins outside your PB, so this was still a very good day. And 2.42 is a bloody fast time. One to ponder in a few days is why reading half and today was under your expectations.  Or failing that you could just say f**k it and sort out that 10k this summer.image

• Options

Tough day PMJ - you made the right decision though. Just not worth it. There'll be others.

Well done Lit... that is absolutely incredible. Hope you are having a large glass of something. Or 3 plus a burger!

2.42, still bloody impressive Dachs.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Thanks Nikki. I had a huge roast, four scoops of ice cream, some wine and a g&t, and now I am drinking champagne and eating crisps. The recovery strategy of champions.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I do not approve of the crisps, Lit. The rest is fine. And well done again! Well done coach too!

And Dachs...still a run that most people would be envious of.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Well run lit, solid time there and a negative split to boot! 33rd woman overall is massive, as a guide, our club record went to a 2:28 and he was 35th.

Dachs, not too shabby but I understand it is frustrating after producing such quality in training.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Great running folks. Very impressed...

One day, I'll give the marathon a serious go and hopefully be able to bask in the glory of a sub 3...!