Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I had the exact same thoughts Scott regarding my speed work so when I got invited out for a few beers tonight I decided to can the race. I did an easy 4/5 miler this morning and headed up to Harrogate wiTh the family and after deciding that I was having a few pints instead I did a 5 mile threshold.

I know I'm really lacking in leg turnover/speed work and hitting 10k pace is proving a bind. Anyway, saved me a journey and already looking forward to adding a bit more week by week ahead of Trafford.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right, now everyone's stopped making everyone on the thread paranoid about their weight and how to reduce weight, let's talk races.

With Wokingham having been called off last year, and thus in effect being sold out for this year's re-arranged one,  I thought I best get onto the waiting list and get a place bought in case I fancied racing it.
    That was about 4months ago, and suddenly realised it's only a blimmin week away!

As I haven't done a race bar parkruns for 11months, I thought I'd have a crack at the last XC race of the TVXC series.  Served a few aims, have a pressure free go at a race for free, see some old pals, actually show my face amongst the club for once, and more importantly, see if Wokingham, at over double the distance never week would be a stupid idea, or doable...

We had a super rare road trip drive over, with Bus and Phil involved, and it all felt surreal, one actually off to a race, two a thread gang, and three, me not driving as my car is a bit monstered.

The adrenaline was building a bit, and it suddenly dawned on me, heck, I'm racing today. Puffing around the warm up didn't feel marvellous, but then I remember it being exactly like that last year here.

Saw a fair few old pals and faces, and it felt good to be back, apart from the actual business of racing to come.

The start line was utterly stacked, must have been about 350+ in the field, which for a last race of the series is madness.

They'd slightly changed the route, so it was 1/4mile slight incline all the way up a path, rather than a quick turn to the left like last year.

Foolishly I was leading for 50metres or so, as if I was in peak form and racing ability, but that soon wore off, and I settled into mid top 10.

By half a mile or so I was questioning what I was doing there, and where my power and legs desire were.

A nice little "dangerous" section, of hopping through tree stumps temporarily took the mind to a different place, as did a pretty steep 200metre hill, but then we were "Treated" to what is quite constant at this race, long long plain trail sections.

My mind was going back to the 2006 days where as a naïve new runner I just turned up with mediocre fitness and just about got myself round in a miserable heap.

A few familiar faces shot by, and I had little desire to up the ante. The legs were feeling pretty bereft of power, and mentally I was having to fight that desire to just pack it in and go home.

Midway, my old pal Simon from Marlow came by and I was really struggling in my head, as I've never lost to him.

Spent the next couple of miles literally following him around from about 50metres behind, but with no ability to close the gap. Few hills, few long sweeping plain sections, and I was glued to the garmin, "come on 8.8km distance, hurry up".

Was in 11th place, and could sense no one was too close behind, so all I had to do was trundle it home. Didn't feel a particularly hard effort, but just felt gruelling in other ways.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

This course is particularly hard to get your bearings, so all I had to go on was knowing it was somewhere over 5miles. When that final stretch came into sight, it was magic. Had at least 6 looks behind to make sure someone wasn't doing a Usain Bolt finish, over the line, bundled into by a few fast finishers, and delighted to hit the turf and lie down for a good mins like old times.

Trying to work out in my head whether this is how XC always feels, or whether I'm simply rusty on how to race. Whether ending a 60mile week is a stacked schedule in my legs, or whether the tightnesses have taken some power away.

However, 11th out of hundreds probably isn't too bad, and good to be back.

Bus, Phil, Andrew all around for a bit of post race chat too. Even if I had to ask a whole gaggle of TVT fellas which one Andrew was!

Andrew, you had that look we all have when recognised by an online buddy, who seems to know loads about you, but is actually a massive stranger!

So, Wokingham is booked and paid for, can't pretend I'm overly fancying it, but at the end of the day, finishing a half is always an achievement, so might as well do it at some intensity. It's always a who's who of the local scene. Just need to remember to not smash the first mile like usual, or might not get to the second mile!!

Ah, that's a nice long race report. I'm sure we can produce an even sillier length one next week!!

ps 6.20 averaging. Hard to quantify that in my brain, as on Tuesday I did a 6.05 average 6miler on the road as a MP effort!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

last year looking back was 4.6miles, at 6.14 pace, this year 5.3 at 6.20.

so bit further, and obviously fair bit less raced!

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Trying to work out in my head whether this is how XC always feels, or whether I'm simply rusty on how to race. 

No, it's okay, XC always feels like shit.

• Options

As SG says, last XC of the season today and I took a car load over so green points for that. Start was manic and I seemed to be way down the field at a 180 degree turn about 1/3 mile in but the course was essentially the same as last year with an extra half mile tacked on the start so people were a little more spread out when going through the maze of tree stumps and that meant that a couple of miles in it changed from XC to pretty much good running on fire breaks and I set to pull back places.  I soon saw Bus a couple ahead and tried to catch up with him but he was in a battle with the first lady so I couldn't quite bridge the gap and thought I would settle for what I had over the last mile or so: that was until I heard people urging on the second lady behind me so I ensured that I was clear of her, but even then she tried to out-sprint me! Second time in two years I have had to sprint at the end and second time I have won, but there really ought to be a rule about such behaviour: if you try and out sprint someone in the finish and fail then you should be made to hand over the price of a pint of beer. 

6:40 pace for 5.3 miles: don't think I'll be happy at the half next week with anything slower than that.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

this is certainly the best bit of a race day...the aftermath, report, finding clips and pics on fb

• Options

Nice morning out with SG and Mr J - thanks for the lift Philip. Good to meet Andrew too - he can tell his own report, but a bit of a stormer given recent injury issues!

My race report would be very similar to SG's, especially in terms of how hard it felt (not helped by a bit of a late night and hangover!) just 22 places behind!!

The start was a bit mad! I thought I was in about the right place, but at the off, hoards of people just appeared in front of me from nowhere. As a result the first mile was only just sub 7, trying to get past people. Overall about 6:38 pace - so will need to be a lot quicker on the flat roads of Wokey next week! Didn't manage to catch the first lady in the last mile, she even built a large gap.  I ended up 33rd overall, so not my finest hour, but a pretty tough workout in lieu of a tempo this week and far more enjoyable so I'll settle for that (SG - note, in lieu of tempo but that's not an excuse as it was certainly an all out race effort image)

• Options

Just realised - that was my 200th race! Hmm, must think of a way to celebrateimage

• Options

Having (I borrow SG's phrasing here) monstered the indoor bike yesterday, with a full out 20 minute power test, I felt a little sore last night. So I went for a very slow recovery run to try and get the legs sorted for the XC. 4 miles at 8.30, probably my slowest ever solo run.

Still felt sore this morning, but thought, I need to find out if my achilles is going to be ok for Wokingham. Did a token warm up, felt dreadful, heavy legs, but had a nice piss in the woods.

I didn't want to get involved in a race with the top 5 at the start so placed myself back a couple of rows, to act as a handbrake. This worked and I found myself back in about 20th after the first mile. Felt comfortable breathing but sluggish in the legs. Stuck to my plan of just having the runners ahead come back to me rather than trying to chase them.

Slowly picked off off about 10 or so before catching up with a fellow TVT runner, who's rapidly improving. He responded to my presence and picked up the pace a bit and we set about catching the RRR in front. I suggested he tucked in behind me but he was weaving all over the place trying to avoid puddles! So we ran side by side until he suddenly shot off. Wasn't sure why until I realised, that he'd realised we were just about to turn into the finishing straight.

I thought we still had a km to go! Anyway I thought doesn't matter we're in the same team. That was until I saw him overtake the Reading chap to move into 6th. Suddenly I realised I should try and do the same. Having promised myself I wouldn't risk sprinting at the end I started to sprint but had left it too late. All I achieved was giving the chap in front a scare. Does this mean I owe him a pint Philip?

Anyway finished 8th, and considering the previous four weeks, I have to be pleased with it. My legs are bloody sore now though! Amazing how just a few weeks off running can bring on the DOMS.

Stevie G then introduced himself, any confusion on my face was merely the process of deducting which particular threadster it was. There was no prior mention of your possible presence so I was telling myself that although this should be Bus, it clearly wasn't! Nice to meet Bus and Philip too.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Also did the TVXC finishing a few places behind Philip who I think passed me with a couple of k to go. Not much to add to the excellent reports but felt like a real 'speedsters' course to me. Tadley, Hillingdon and even Lightwater were all much harder and slower paced races. Not an advantage for me today though as mud and hills seem to be a leveller and slow the younger and leaner runners more. What do orhers reckon to the relative nature of the different courses and the type of runners they suit?
  • Options

Great thread day racing / competing vs eachother then! Fantastic to see SG back in it with a solid performance! 

Good reports all round too! Enjoyable read

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andrew, I thought I'd removed all doubt with my sheepish, "hi I'm Stevie G" introduction. Whilst hoping no one who knew me but not of the thread overheard!

Seems sluggish legs were the order of the day, which is quite odd, as like Phil says there were stretches of what should have been uninterrupted fast running.

Pete, nice turnout, but after today, you won't get any of us admitting today was a fast course!! I do prefer the old course, the one that went up from the hill immediately as you entered the place. I think that was more challenging actually, so maybe I wouldn't have preferred it today!

Couple of days off this week, which is handy logistics wise as I'm without a car for the week. The other days i'll find a sensible way to get kit/food/drink work stuff to work, and allow for a 7am run. This'll be harder in a year when work moves 10miles away!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Sounds a proper thread day out!

11 months is a long time SG so 11th sounds pretty good to me! I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't wanted to just step off the course during a race, even when I've been fortunate enought to be leading. XC is a right slog!

Well done Andrew after a troublesome few weeks. Hopefully you can kick on from there now post injury.

Phil, would you have had the same desire to fight off the competitor behind if it wasn't a female? Ha. Similar happened to me at Trafford last year, Helen Clitheroe had passed me in the last mile or so and my legs and head had gone, I turned towards the finish and heard these massive screams for the second lady. Wasn't having that! Found something to make a sprint to just stay in front. Not sure I'd have bothered if it was a male. image

Still a decent outing too Bus like you say and we'll done PeteM.

After last nights few beers and feeling a bit ropey this morning, a chip butty and 2 samosas didn't help before bed half pissed. I decided to tie a bit of threshold running into my long run. Warmed up for 2 miles and then ran 11 miles in my threshold zone and ran 1 mile to warm down. Quite windy in parts but averaged 6.06min miling for the 14.

Heard rumours that Alsager 5 was long in previous years and everyone on strava seems to have it at 5.1. Glad I canned it.
  • Options

Speaking as a lady runner, I have to say it is particularly satisfying to overtake men near the end just to piss them off because you know they won't like it.

• Options

SG - All this thinking I did was prior to your introduction, which as you suggested cleared up any doubt. Any subsequent looks of confusion must be my natural demeanour.

I was ready to make the leap to your racing/stage name, to save the sheepishness.

Hi Pete, I prefer the course to be more challenging, I don't like uphill particularly but I love technical descents, single tracks, trees, mud etc. I think today was pretty dull, nothing to slow down the fast runners. Looks like Wokingham will be stacked with threadsters.

• Options
    Andrew G wrote (see)
    Having promised myself I wouldn't risk sprinting at the end I started to sprint but had left it too late. All I achieved was giving the chap in front a scare. Does this mean I owe him a pint Philip?

Yep, yes is now the official rule. Only applies in races where position counts so XC and champs races. Plain old timed runs don't matter.

Matt3 wrote (see)

Phil, would you have had the same desire to fight off the competitor behind if it wasn't a female? Ha. Similar happened to me at Trafford last year, Helen Clitheroe had passed me in the last mile or so and my legs and head had gone, I turned towards the finish and heard these massive screams for the second lady. Wasn't having that! Found something to make a sprint to just stay in front. Not sure I'd have bothered if it was a male. image

The annoying (well, actually it isn't as much annoying as mildly irksome) is that the results will show exactly the same positions for us if she were ahead or behind me as they rate the two races separately. I don't really differentiate between men and ladies, it tends to be a reaction to the screams of encouragement from the onlookers and where I am it is more often screams for the leading ladies and the reaction is not against the runner but the crowd: "f**k them, can't they see I am ahead with a clear lead, why assume the runner behind who is obviously behind is faster than me?"

I did consider a top with "I'm old, what's your excuse for being slower" on the back for the exact same piss off value that Lit speaks about.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Lit, i don't think anyone particularly likes losing to anyone.

I have my fair share of races i just want to hold the current position though, and have to admit to plenty of times thinking "i don't care who overtakes i just want to finish". image

Bus happy 200th, glad we were there to share it! Mine was my 163rd. It is hard to arrange it so the big milestones fall on special races! Nearest i got was 150th was meant to be a 5k at my old club Marlow. Instead it was the Wycombe 10k, but it was my first race location, so probably fitting.

Andrew, you had too many guys it could have been. Obviously wasn't lush Louise as erm, i probably shouldn't call her, but the other 3 of you it could have been any! I'm quite glad it wasn't "James" as he looked to be smashing it, and if that was you at "returning from injury" mode that'd have been bonkers.

There's a good vid floating around on fb, and only 1/2mile in, so we all look epic. Is surprising to see how far some of the top 10 started back off the front though.

ps Matt, at the Eastleigh 10k, I managed to get myself right in the middle of the battle for 1st lady. I think all three of us were credited with 34:30 in the end. Did feel odd though, like i was in the way! Not to mention that it was a decent time for a man! Bit like battling a 14 year old on way to a sub 1hr 20 half one time!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

I don't really differentiate between men and ladies, it tends to be a reaction to the screams of encouragement from the onlookers and where I am it is more often screams for the leading ladies a

Anyone who has ever raced neck and neck with Sam is nodding to this one. Hearing "first lady" for the 300th time, while they ignore you're also going well is particularly irksome.

• Options

No, some blokes do get genuinely annoyed if they lose to a woman. E.g. one race I did where a Worksop Harrier's teammates urged him on by saying 'come on, you can't lose to the second lady!'. I can't remember if he did or not.

Also, if you are first lady chances are you know you are, but if you're somewhere in the top five then it's genuinely helpful if people tell you your position - it's not just that they're cheering you on more than the men around you, more that they're telling you something helpful.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't always trust those people who shout your place out. Especially not if they're kids, who have probably not been concentrating and missed a few image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Put in a flat out sprint (for me) to try and catch 2nd lady only to fail and then realise it would have made no difference to the results anyway!
  • Options

SG - Surely you could have ruled out the guy in tights, I don't do tights (running). Thanks for not getting me confused with Lou, Lush Lou, sounds like some sort of Welsh toilet air freshener. I presume she's the one who owes PMJ a pint, I'll ask her if she'll pay up and I'll check if she minds your nickname for her image

I bonked in Basingstoke half and was trotting the last mile, one of the marshals told me the leading woman was just behind me, so I mysteriously found a bit of energy, to prevent being chicked. I differentiate, in so much as it's more annoying, if it's a lady.

• Options

I just checked the WHM start list and there are 14 women with the same or better predicted finish time. I therefore challenge myself so get beaten by less than 14 women.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry Andy (do we know each other well enough for me to shortern your name yet?), me and Lou are pals from years back. Although I can see her face now saying such a nickname "isn't appropriate" now she's married image

If anyone really has "Losing to women issues", don't go anywhere near the Bupa 10k. The year I did it, I think something like 30 women in the whole country had run quicker than my pb, yet in that race alone I think 13 or so did. The size of some of those women was shocking, you wonder how they get such pace up from such midget demeanour and weight.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Andy, I honestly never know with TVT. You lot do wear some funny costumes...

• Options

I totally agree on the costumes, long socks, compression, hats, sunglasses, gloves, £400+ watches, probably slows some of the team down.

• Options

It's the funny vest, lycra shorts combo that gets me on triathletesimage

As for being beaten by ladies, we've had this discussion before image. Personally, if someone is faster than me in a race then fair enough - makes no difference male or female. Only thing for me is that in most local races I'm usually not far off the first lady so it serves as a focal point for me to make a judgement how well I'm doing on the day and they are usually easier to spot than, say, 3rd RRR or 5th Sandhurst vest!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ooh, a lovely thread day out at the cross country. If I'd have known, I might have bothered to show up. Or maybe not.

SG - cross country does feel that rotten all the way round, but you're not remotely five-sharp, so that's got to be taken into account. Solid comeback though, and good to see you showing your face.

Good racing Bus and PMJ, as always worrying about ladies. Pete too. As long as Bus isn't photographed staring at a woman's backside, everything's ok.

Nice racing off an injury Andrew, sounds very encouraging that Wokingham is still on.

So, I wasn't really intending on doing the cross country this morning, as I didn't want to have hard effort this close to Wokingham, and also cos I take the kids to rugby of a Sunday morning. For that reason I went out yesterday afternoon and hit some mile reps, five thereof. Wind was strong, so I didn't time them, because I've got such fragile confidence that I didn't want missed paces in a training session to be in the back of my mind at Wokingham. But they felt great, really felt strong and flowing. That probably means they were bloody slow.

So arose early this morning to do a 12, then saw a note that the kids rugby was cancelled, so I could theoretically do the XC. However, with mile reps in my legs and Wokingham looming, I decided against it and just did the 12. Now I hear that it had long stretches of hard surface and suited the quicker road guys, I kind of wish I'd done it. Never mind.

• Options

Never mind cross country...you should have all been at the Watford half to witness a potential super-star in action: mind you I guess you have all already clocked Samir's 39th place and 80:05.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.