Options

VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Options
    Hi all the training is going better now, took out a HM training group for 11 miles yesterday, felt a lot better than the previous week, need to do some structured sessions now to get up to speed, GNR stuff arrived today so getting excited now even with 5 weeks to go image Hill training tomorrow gym Wednesday Tempo Thursday then off to race The Train On Friday, that is going to be purely a training run, a tough one admittedly!
  • Options

Mark - 5K in 32 min!  Completely comfortable running image

16 x 200m tonight and that was pretty comfortable till the end. Started on 63 seconds, finished on 53.

• Options

Thought you were talking in miles B sorry, I am getting on abit now and rather old fashioned or so my daughters tell me!!!

My GNR stuff arrived yesterday Rod so there was a good feeling that I might actually get to run a race this year at last with over half the year gone!!! Just planning to get to the start line in one piece and not pull or break anything................. I have an orange number where are you.

Out at lunch for a little five miler I reckon if its not chucking it down.  image

• Options

Confidence is preparation, Everything else is beyond your control.

Better going do some preparation he says putting his trainers on!!!image

Whats the Hash up to these days???

• Options
    I'm in pen C " fast paced club runners" image Will we be meeting outside the pub again Mark? I am up in the North EAst from Friday sataying near Durham this  year, have you a time in mind? I will do 7 or 8 miles this evening rather than the hills I think.
  • Options

I am not sure what pen I am in will check tonight, I have an orange number but behind C I am sure!!! Not being a fast paced club runner myself.image  I am going up with the family staying at a B and B Friday night as junior is doing the junior on Sat so should be fun and then watch abit of the athletics.  Be great to meet up outside the pub again........will make sure I go to the loo this year instead of chatting for you too long and forgetting till I got in the pen!! Was it about 9.30 last year we met up?

Did a five miler in 44.06 yesterday lunch but the back paining abit today so might just go for a little bike ride this lunch and then a swim tonight to look after my knackered back!!

• Options

Give me a shou on Saturday I will be knocking around Newcastle but not till later on, Hotel VW has to be sorted on a Caravan park near Durham, I will cycle to the station and get the train in, It's only 5 miles apparently.

Last night 7 miles on and off road which was not too bad, just off to the gym now, a 2 mile run steady outside and general x training, getting there slowly.......

• Options
    Good racing at the weekend guys. "If you really put a small value on yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price"
  • Options
    Good quote Rio, I will be givingit my best shot at Race The Train, I suddenly am feeling a lot sort of fitter which in turn is giving me confidence, off road is not really my thing but I certainly aim to do a faster time than last year, hopefully by 10 to 12 minutes, needless to say the rain has started!
  • Options

Swam 1.3km last night breast stroke still cant crawl, sad for a bloke of my age!!! About 36 minutes I think. Cycled 30 miles and this lunch ran 4.17 in 36mins tried to do a full mile up hill on the last mile 9.17 but kept going so pleased with that thought it was a bit tough.............

We are near Prudhoe for the GNR Rod, you can get a bus from there at 8ish on the Sunday am so that might be my plan B as OH might want a lie in and a full breakie with my daughter.............then they can drive to as near to South Shields as they can get.

All the best is Race the Train this weekend? Went on that train when I was a kid.................Tallyn mid Wales is it?

• Options

Your training is going well Mark by the looks of things, do you want to meet at the pub again same time etc?I am staying at Redworth Hall on the Friday night which is Newton  Ayncliffe just off the A1 on Saturday I move with Hotel VW to HERE i think the only issue is the traffic noise but I can live with that, I will probably have an early drive up to South Shields on the Sinday and arrive about 0700 do my breakfast and Park in that carpark  to the right as the runners approach the seafront, that way I can have an easier getaway, I have enquired about an alleged early train from Durham but no one seems to know anything so I am going to stick to what I know.

" mile steady run last night @8.49 followed by gym x training upper body and 10 minutes on the rower plus 3 x 25 ab crunches.

I am considering a lot more rowing as it is a really good workout, ideally I would like to get up to around a 45 minute session, I have even thought of seeing if I can go to a rowing club if they will have me!

• Options

Great be good to meet up at the Pub as usual and I mabe I can run behind you, though wouldn't want to slow you down!!  We are staying here. Locksley Bed and Breakfast near the Stocksfield railway station but there are no trains early enough will have to go for the bus I reckon..............

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Prudhoe+map&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=TjBNTqnCHqf44QSy45yqBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6&ved=0CAgQ_AUoBQ

I like rowing too its a brilliant work out wish I had room for a rowing machine in my house. I enjoyed swimming thats good for the arms and shoulders and general breathing too.

• Options

It's a lovely area Mark, I only booked the hotel because it is Part of the chain that owns my gym so I got a reasonable price and an upgrade as I am in their leisure breaks club, however the VW is always a better bet so next year it is 2 nights in that I reckon, this year the hotel prices are / were stupidly expensive, London was cheaper for VLM.

Hopefully I am back on it now training wise, have you a finish time in mind? I was hoping to do the same as last year.

• Options

I realistically will do well to run under two hours (1.57) after a bad year but you never can tell. At least this year knowing the course I will have knowledge of whats coming with the uphill bits. Where were you last year 1.40ish was it? 

This weekend I will do another long one around 11 miles which will give me a better idea. I felt quite good last Sunday when I did just over 9 miles in 1.20 with just a small water bottle. Would be nice to run with you for some company and then watch you burn off up the hill on the John Radcliffe Road. Not too sure if I have a PB in my legs but never say never. The weather can be evil up in the North East with wind and rain so I will see what the weekend brings. Be great to get to the start line and then take it from there!! image You get ripped off when its the GNR in the North East even our B and B is expensive but taking the OH and daughter they didnt want to camp for some reason!!

• Options

You have a sub 1.50 in you if you are fit, John Reid Road is hard but remember miles 2 to 5 are maybe the hardest that is the highest point of the course. I did 1.44 something last year, I would hope to get close to that this time, we did just under 7 miles last night, a couple of good undulations and i good hill, there was a long downhill buit but took that steady, a fair few miles were sub 8 minutes and the average was 8.18 pretty good considering the hilly / fields mile was done in 9.11. HR average was 127 so that is coming down too. I have some good people to train with so will up the anti for the next month and see what happens.

I bet the B and B was twice as much on Saturday than on Friday? image

• Options

John Reid..........I couldn't remember the name of that road.............1.44 good one I was four minutes behind that at Birmingham.............thanks for the confidence boost will try and get as fit as I can and we will see.  Could do with some training partners who are younger and fitter than me. Will see if I can get my daughter out on Sunday for a long one, might try and get the son in law out with me though he prefers cycling.   Sub 8 min miles is fast Rod you are firing on all cylinders again good to see.  I cant get my heart rate down I am always around 150 to 160 at that sort of speed.

Are you doing any other races later in the year or have you not decided yet?  I might do the fell race in our village on the 2nd of September its only 4.6 miles but all up and down hills alot of climbing but might be a good strengthening run and get my mind into climbing abit more. Has this thread run out of life.............or is it just the quiet summer and I dont have enough to do??

Have a good weekend all.image

• Options

Sub 8mm needs to be the norm, your HR will be higher as you are younger than me?Fell running is in many peoples opinion "proper running" myself I prefer the roads, this weekends excursion is as much a socila event as anything else. I am going to do Oxford HM, maybe Birmingham and possibly Grunty Fen as a warm up for GNR on 11th September, also Bedford HM December, I still have a place in Abingdon Marathon and may try Luton again,

• Options
    Did a very hilly 14 miles bike ride yesterday on my road bike, up out of chesterfield and through the peak district in one hour and ten to home, going out on it again today with son in law then a run later on!
    Happy sunday.
  • Options
    Another 25 mile ride today up and over the hills of the Peaks......beautiful weather and great views, just a touch hilly for me, struggled to keep up going down hill as bit nervous on narrow wheels.  Didn't make a run at all due to too much cycling!!! Made a nice change and the heart knew about it.  Do you have to do three times as much on a bike to equate to running RIO usually knows these things being a tri person.........image
  • Options

I took the bike to Tywyn but it stayed on the rack where it belonged image I will use it at GNR on the Saturday I think to cycle from the caravan park into Durham to get the train into Newcastle.

Had a much better Race the TRain this time, there was a fair bit of mud about but I managed to take a whole 17 minutes off last years time, chip time for the 14 miles was 2.10.55. Pleased with that and my fastest mile was my last one, the fitness is coming back slowly.

It was a smashing weekend and our mens team won the team prize for the second year runningimage

• Options

Excellent run Rod well done..............did you beat the train???? Sounds an awesome race. Did you run in standard trainers or something more able to cope with mud.

Going out for a run at lunch but mixing the training with the bike to make sure I make the start line this time. I have the lungs hoping the biking will do the legs good.image

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer todays calendar thought!!!

• Options

You need to do 1.47.58 to beat the train so no, but I was so much stronger and could have gone faster in parts, this was my longest run since VLM. Road shoes on that course would have been a disaster, I have INOV8  ROCLITE 295's they were really good and provided plenty of grip especially down hill as well as up. Having shoes I like and get on with make all the difference with me, I can recommend those even though there are more waterproof ones about, these just felt "right"

It is a great event and will be added to my "every year" list I think.

Good luck with  the bike ride, you will be at that start line I know it!

• Options

I have some INOV8s which are nice to run on though gave me blisters on one heel last time so haven't put them on for a bit.  Sounds like a right good event though tough I would imagine.

Just been for a 6.01 mile run up the trail and back quite flatish  51.27mins so quite pleased with that as I could have gone abit faster starting off but kept it evenish.

9.00-8.41-8.34-8.18-8.23-8.27 and it was a long time since breakfast porridge so could have done with abit of food in me. Down to 12 stone 4 from 13 when I was laid up so getting back to fighting fitness.

How is work going? We are abit quiet at the moment with summer holidays and a world shortage of rubber too it seems causing us problems.

• Options
    Thats a good ruun Mark, my INNOV8's are the new model which gives no blisters on the heel, what you need to do with yours is heat up the rear bit with a hairdryer and then put the shoe on so it moulds to the shape of your heel, the rep told my local running shop that, you should be sorted then, I love those ones of mine, easy run tonight at the club, 5 mile race tomorrow which should show where I am pace wise, before GNR I need a 10 miler at sub 8MM if I can do that then I should have a chance of a 1.45 finish. Good news on the weight loss too Mark.
  • Options
    Sore back today struggling alittle to get out of bed..........my back doesn't like this running lark...........going to go for a swim tonight to loosen up.....................how was your easy run Rod? Hope the 5miler goes okay tonight.
  • Options
    I took the ladies from the club out and the 3.67 miles at tempo pace was done at 8.59 average with a mile warm up and cool down average for the 5 and a half odd miles was 9.05m so they may well be able to achieve a sub 2 hour HM I feel a bit lazy today but have my kit on and will do this evening no choice really need to have a time to work from. Hope the back is ok Mark, are you doing Birmingham again this year?
  • Options

Will have to see how the back is first after GNR if its not sold out...........see Bupa have taken it over!! Hopefully the start will be better this year after that farce of running 20 yards and then stopping that they had last year!! Have a good evening. On my bike for home and then a swim later.

Have a good evening........

• Options
    They will sort it all out, Brum missed a big chance there, still it continues that is the main thing, will post the result of tonights efforts in the morning.
  • Options
    Very sore in the back but went out with my youngest bro who is 17 years younger than me, he has asthma but is quite fit think I have converted him to running and did 5.5 miles in 48 mins this evening after a heavy food family day!
    How was your weekend?
  • Options

Thats a nice end to a Sunday Mark image

Did a 6 mile session Friday @7.47 followed by a gym session, toughie that was.

The long run today ended up being a HM training run done in a time of 1.57.55  @8.59. my pacing with the Garmin is good now, Tuesday is a key session, planning to do 10 miles @7.50, we will see but am confident I will be ok on that, this is the important training week form GNR in my eyes image