Options

We all die in the end....

Comments

• Options
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

i wouldn't want to live if i couldn't run.

that may sound extreme but that's genuinely how i feel about running.

Don't be so fucking pathetic you stupid little girl.
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    I once studied death and dying. For several months. One of the exam questions: what is a good death?That was cheerful image 
  • Options
    Good old Kubler Ross Sarah?
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Kwilter with a K wrote (see)
    Good old Kubler Ross Sarah?
    Ah yes, I remember it well image
  • Options
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)
    I once studied death and dying. For several months. One of the exam questions: what is a good death?That was cheerful image 

Someone said that to me after dad died - he'd been ill, on oxygen and died suddenly from a blood clot rather than suffocating, which was the likely outcome of his illness. I think it was supposed to be a comfort.

It wasn't.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Helen liz wrote (see)
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Someone said that to me after dad died - he'd been ill, on oxygen and died suddenly from a blood clot rather than suffocating, which was the likely outcome of his illness. I think it was supposed to be a comfort..

It wasn't.

It doesn't sound particularly tactful either image

There's always the debate between sudden death and a prolonged period of being terminally ill. Personally, I'd rather go quickly. From the POV of family/friends, I think that would be harder - not having the chance to 'make peace'/say goodbye/etc. Although you can also argue that seeing someone deteriorate is a bloody awful experience. I'm not presenting a strong case here, either way. But that's the nature of the debate...

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    The hardest part of dying is always the friends and family left behind.

An important rule in physics is energy cannot be created or distroyed, it can only change forms. That is one of the theories which backs up the after life idea. The only time we'll ever know the truth is when we die.
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    k8greene wrote (see)
    The hardest part of dying is always the friends and family left behind. An important rule in physics is energy cannot be created or distroyed, it can only change forms. That is one of the theories which backs up the after life idea. The only time we'll ever know the truth is when we die.

I actually find that reasonably comforting. The energy that existed within a loved one continues on in some form...

• Options

I like that idea as well. My mum died suddenly just before Christmas a few years ago, I like the idea that as long as there's people who know her name, there's some part of her essence still around.

Likewise the ancestors I've found in my FH research. I like the thought of their life force being awakened when I discover their names in an ancient record.

• Options

And your energy is 'supplied' from food which is used to power you..So unless you manage to eat and metabolise  food when you're dead all your 'energy' will do is radiate into the atmosphere until you cool to the ambient temperature. 

The atoms in your body (well most of them anyway) were made inside a star. And one day they will make up a dust cloud in space, part of another planet or another star.

I think that's more uplifting. Eventually we are recycled on a cosmic scale.

Consciousness, That's just how the brain perceives itself which is based on your memories and experiences. Once the brain is dead there will be no consciousness.

I'm sorry but I only have a scientific view of this. However if i found out the worst I might sign up for as many religions as i could to be on the safe side

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    I think religious belief tends to increase in the older age demographic. Is it because people become more spiritual in their old age, or as a safety net 'just in case'? I'm such a cynic image
  • Options

I think when people are younger they tend to be too busy living life, consuming etc to think much about the after life. And of course at that age they're all immortal.

Older people were also brought up in a more religious age.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I've never had the 'I'm immortal' mentality. Quite frankly, it baffles me. It's also ironic that the greater the perception of immortality, the more likely it is that you'll kill yourself through some foolish behaviour image

I think it will be interesting to see if the movement towards religiosity continues in the generations that are have been raised in a more secular culture.

• Options

It's not until, IMHO, you have experienced the death of someone close or even more significantly people who you grew up with and are the same age that the realisation that it could just as easily happen to you sinks in. Particularly if they die of a medical condition.   

I think religion is a basic human need for explanation and an attempt to find answers to where we came from and our purpose.

i think it was particularly relevant when people did not have any scientific explanations for the wonders of the Universe.

In addition people had lives of grinding poverty (some still do) and there must be a strong longing for something better to justify struggling on.

• Options

I have to be honest, I find religion rather tedious and extremely patronising. However at the same time I think it must be amazing to truly believe and have faith. I imagine it can bring a lot of comfort and guidance but for me I have much too scientific a mind and find a lot of the religious misinformation ridiculous.

I remember a priest (or vicar or whatever, I'm really not sure) trying to suggest to me that everything happens at gods will. When I told him God must be a nasty piece of work for taking my first child he didn't seem so confident.

I'm also not a great fan of people pushing religion onto others (or anything for that matter) everyone is entitled to an opinion but I wouldn't try to change anyones religious beliefs because they don't match mine and I wouldn't expect anyone to try the same on me.

rant over, apologies for getting carried away......

• Options
    couldn't agree more Y.Rob...
  • Options

My mum died not so long ago and although it was quite drawn out at the end, it was at home, with the house filled with laugher and she spent time awake and time asleep and the time asleep just got more and more and then the time between taking breathes took a bit longer and longer and then she went.

It was terrible, but actually quite peaceful.  My Dad however had a stroke and wsa filled with fear,  terror  and panic. He ended up in ICU and eventually had a heart attack.  I know which death I would've prefered.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Feel exactly the same on the religious aspect Rob. Maybe because it was rammed down our throats in schools. I didn't even go to a religious school but we were made to sing hymns in assembly etc. Nowadays I am extremely anti-religion. Believe what you what to believe but just understand I don't want you pushing your views onto me!

• Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I have been known to fall out out with doorstep religious salespeople before now and also once nearly punched a guy who followed me halfway home trying to sell me the book of mormon. After politely asking him to leave me alone several times I eventually had to tell him to sling his hook or he'd get a slap.

I was starting to think I was just a miserable anti religious sod

• Options

I got cross with school that my son had to say thakns to God for his lunch....

it is a multi faith school, why should they just say thank you to one God?  Why not say thank you to the cooks instead?  They bloody cooked it!

It did make me laugh though when he started he came home and asked who Dearlorr was and did he/she work in the kitchen as thats who they always had to thank....

• Options
    Irish politics and Religion, this is a turn up! Religion = mass oppression nothing more, only global education and free speech can free us of this cancer permanently
  • Options
    God the caterer is quite an amusing yet slightly blasphemous image image
  • Options

Theres a really brilliant book called "The brief history of the dead" by Kevin Brockmeier. Its a story about a place between Earth and Heaven, where you go when you die, and you are kept alive there by memories of those left behind. Its one of those inter-twinned stories. I suppose its a bit on the same theme as Ashes to Ashes and Lost on the telly ie a place you go after you pop your clogs.

Im not a religous person, it hasnt got about God in it or anything, I found it a good story. And a real comfort for those of us left behind.

(Apologies if Im cutting across anyones dialogue)

• Options

How rude, we were in the middle of discussing thanking god for the catering image

I might give that a read some time, sounds interesting

• Options

I'm not religious. I don't believe there is a God. Anyone who does believe in the lord almighty
    are believing in someone that doesn't exist. Does anyone know God? Is God a he or really a she?
    Could be a dog, cat or a cow. Is God a person of greatness or one of good and evil?
    Did God read the bible? Is God the author? Can I get a signed copy?

So many questions and sadly so little answers.

• Options
    A friend of ours told us that when his dad was dying the family were all told to gather - when they were all there by his bedside the father looked up and said "well I must be dying then if you lot are all here" - image -
  • Options
    MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

Perversely I tend to think of death as 'not a sad' event. It is usually the way in which one dies that is so distressing to everybody.

I will not start on religion and various 'beliefs' which I blame for most of the troubles in our world. Suffice to say that if there is an omnipotent God that each religion claims to have I think it is more than patronising to suggest that such a 'being' or 'force' requires worship or sacrifice. 

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I went to a friend's church wedding a few weekends ago. I was absoulutey dreading it. I swear I almost come out in a rash if I have to go into a church. It wasn't as bad as expected but it was dripping in Christanity. The couple weren't actually religious (or that we were aware of) so I didn't understand why they were taking their vows in front of 'God', surely it's as good as taking them in front of the tooth fairy.

I've said to my family if I go before them, I want a humanistic funeral.