Options

The SNOD ultra runnig thread

Comments

• Options
    hmmmm.....I'm not signing up for anything til after the MdS!! Still not sure if the trail shoes will end up in a bin somewhere in morocco!
  • Options

Hi Bp, all still going well for ACC? I'm camped out here now as defaintely ruled out of that one due to a busted leg which I'm boring all and sundry about. I like to think I'd try most things but MdS somehow doesn't appeal, I think I'd prefer the Artic circle Mara or something.....

..... in steps FR with suggestion of an multi-day ultra in the arctic circle??? image

• Options
    he's already gone off to recce it i reckon deimage
  • Options

Oh no - sorry to hear about the leg DE - hope you are on the mend. Injury is just horribly frustrating- I am terrible when I can't run. Hang in there.

I think one MdS will definitely be enough for me. I've discovered so many amazing events in the UK since I got into this insane business I thnk there is enough here to keep me occupied in the future - love the sound of the Eagle Isle ultra and maybe even MoB.

Getting prepd for ACC- have a marathon next weekend so taking it a bit easy this bank holiday. Just off to watch Blackheath RC warm up with a pre season game - watching people running about is good exercise I find!

• Options

Eagle isle ultra and MOB (or whatever it's called now) look great. I nearly entered a 5 day stage race on Jura and Isley going back a few years. So glad I didn't now, it would have killed me back then.

I had been been planning to enter the UTMB next year - may have a read of the reports around this years stop-start event before comitting now though. Seems some people think the organisers were spot on and others quite the opposite image

• Options

yeah I knew someone out on UTMB - if there was a landslide though I would think they don't have much choice but to pull it. I guess if you've been training for something for a year though you'd just want to get out there. MdS nearly got cancelled in 2009 I think due to rain!

Hmmm...eagle isle does sound just lovely....

• Options

Marathon went well on sunday...I think probably the most 'comfortable' 26 miles i've completed which has helped my confidence. I'd run 10 miles on the Saturday as well so not a bad weekend. I've got three training weekends now til the atlantic coastal so next couple of weeks will just be a bit of run walking with the pack out on the north downs I think. Picking up the bike today so probably go for bike on the saturday, long run on the sunday.

I'm toying with going on a training camp in spain in feb next year - about a month before the MdS. Anyone got any thoughts on the worth of these things? They're not cheap but I would like to try and get some warm weather work in. Thought appreciated ultra gurus!

• Options

bp..de went on one in the algarve and had a great time i think

i think getting away anywhere to indulge yourself in running can only be good..just make sure it'll be worth it for you as you're no newbie anymore

• Options

BP - CD is right, been on a few with these guys http://www.209events.com/event.php?event=14. Its not while nearly mid-March but thoroughly enjoyed. Laid back, quiet location, most people there are either on the camp or doing similarly active activities (one year lots of international ladies football teams competing in some kind of european or world champs). Most days usually a led morning easy run on road/trail/beach AM and then some kind of harder work in the PM (hill reps, track reps, etc...). And a long run on Sunday. As the blurb suggests you have advisors with plenty of honours between them (e.g. Mike Gratton, Bruce Tulloh, Paul Evans). Very motivating.

The resort is built around a track and there are plenty of places for road or trail runs though for reall hilly stuff you'd need to head for the hills mountains slightly north. There is also a XC course which has been used for international events in the past. Plenty of apres run stuff, cafes, restaurants, bars for nights, all pretty laid back. I suppose you could probably just book in a hotel there and use the local facilites anytime. But I quite enjoyed the training camp mood.

• Options

the one I'm looking at is in andalucia and targetted at MdS participants so you get a camp out and some off road stuff which looks fabulous plus kit advice etc....I can see I'm talking myself into this!

• Options

Doing the pumlumon challenge this weekend...........27 miles 5500ft ascent.............

has anyone done it before..........I haven't got the OS maps of the area and so will have to rely on the organisers maps and instructions.anyone got any idea how easy/hard that is??

I think we will be too slow for the runners so will be starting with the walkers..........so with our walk/ run strategy we might be out in front for a few hours  and so can't even  look for others to support our navigation

• Options
    Thanks FR     At least I will have company as OH and son are making up the team.........so will be good to have time to talk...........just don't want to get lost too many times and add on the mileage..........
  • Options
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing the proper fast runners going past us..........in a race you never get to see them.but as they will be bombing past at some stage I can watch and admire image
  • Options

sn - L100 had that novelty for me, the leaders, then thefast then the steadier 50'ers alll passing me in my stiff legged hobble from 60m onwards image motivating at first, but eventually a little tiresome.

BP/FR - Yes Algarve is more focused on road marathon, especially as its in March prior to London. Good for me as a novice to learn and just a nice getaway. I don't like sunlounger holidays but do like temps of near 20c in March. I've started to feel why have a summer hol abroad when its at least warm in UK, go when its "baltic" and snowing here and 15-20c abroad feels like an oven! Probably not so good for ultra'ists stage marathon runners, wrong focus, not hardcore enough image

FR - Sounds a good business, if you need any help setting up your training camp and to spend the money, I have some IT skills so we could setup a lavish website, and CD is pretty good for some good glossy pics of great british scenery image

And I'm with you on preferring cooler temps - I can't see myself doing MdS anytime soon, but useful to build in some heat resilience if your training through winter for a spring adventure in the UK?

• Options

i'll do it all for lavish amounts of dosh

we had an idea of running people across britain on the c2c..then we said like you 'nah'..but then we said 'what if it were just for really good looking fit (physically) women...ticks every box if you ask me

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, I've got through a couple of ultras in the last 10 days or so.  Both disastrous in different respects.  

The first one in that I had the new experience of being the back marker and the RO ringing me to ask if I was going to make it.  (In the event I came in 4 minutes before the cut off.)  The second one because it now transpires I missed a mile out, failing to do a dog-leg down a road, round a cone, and back on the other side.  There was no marshal at that point (about the 45-mile marker) and I had no idea I was supposed to do that.  Not something you like finding out after the euphoria of actually finishing a hard event.  Some one at the end of this one (a road race) commented how hard he found the 8 miles of loose chippings.  Loose chippings???  I didn't even notice them.  There's tougher terrain than loose chippings out there to be enjoyed!!

C'est la vie.

• Options

hey t rex! yippee and welcome home

hope you're ok and recovered?

must say not a race goes by you've entered without a great tale to tell.

hang around

fling entries open..have you? have you?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Cheers, cd.  I've recovered fine.  Yes, I'm up for another Fling.  I'll be in the 0600 start image.  I think there's going to be a lot of takers from the SNOD thread for it as well.  We must round them all up.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi, Fellrunner.  Think you're having a little wind-up there, my friend.  In road events you generally rely on marshals to indicate where you're going otherwise, well, you don't know where you're going, do you?  It wasn't self navigate.

The Housman 100 is something I intend to spend a lot of time preparing for and I hope to recce the night section.  Might even go on the marshals' walk.  That said, I am expecting an adventure as well with the odd unscheduled situation happening.

• Options

great stuff t rex..that race has a powerful draw to it..not my favourite route but i love the event..the finish is the best ever..get them enrolled!

fr..no offence..but looks like a bunch of xxxxx's to me

lets get the banter going

tomorrow..im off to bed..see you all at 5am???

• Options

Also hope to do the Houseman, will be a new part of UK to run for me. My only target for it is not to break anything!

t-rex - Sorry to hear about the missed bit at weekend. In the scheme of things I wouldn't let it bother you ... shrewd nav image

I get the general pont about training camps, but will have to agree to disagree re. Algarve one, plenty of good trails in that area to satisfy me. A little luxury never hurt anybody image

...now will I be allowed the last word on that one image

• Options
    Saved some dosh on the house insurance. Just about enough for next pair of trail shoes and a few pairs of cheap socks - can't beat free stuff image