Options

The SNOD ultra runnig thread

Comments

• Options

Almost recovered from the Bullock Smithy on Saturday. What a great race that is. Looking forward to next year already.

Few days off running then back ready for the HP40 hopefully.

Loved the four trigs traipse CD. Definitely one to do.

• Options

sp..good to hear from you. see your times on bs are getting better...hope to see you at hp40 but the jury's still out for me..but if we do fancy a jar after?

de..i could do that camp . i love the algarve. off there in 5 weeks. cant wait. what shoes are you getting?

fr..do you mean the last 400m and different finish area? less of a walk to the cafe yes? i loved the pipers last year, hope they'll be back.

tbh..i have my running sidekick so with him in tow, a map, and a bit of gun ho running can't get any better for me

is that the time? slept in..off out we go..catch you later!

• Options

ps wheres the houseman?

pps t rex be sure to pop back tonight (or before)

• Options

gorgeous little trot out for me and pooch..real autumnal feel..cool but bright, clear higher up and temp inversion lower down..time for a butty

must say i find the scots a friendlier bunch at ultras...still thinking about the cateran trail too which i withdrew from last year..looks as tempting as before

• Options

A pint after the 40 sounds great CD.

Not done tan - cat FR. Recced sections round tan hill last year with the intention of doing it probably over two days but not happened as yet. Maybe next year.

Re. running in hot places i've always had a hankering for running through the Grand canyon.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

??  Isn't there water in the bottom?  Would add to the interest of course.

I can see to get a proper set of credentials for this thread I'm going to have to do one of these Northern/Scottish ultras (not the Fling, not a challenge walk).  Anyone got any recommendations (for 2011)?

But I am doing the Fling as well btw, and thinking of having another go at the unsupported "extension", unless there turn out to be lots of forumites to hang out with in Tyndrum for fish'n'chips and a wee dram, in which case I will defer.

cd - whassup?

• Options

and a tendency towards insanity perhaps??

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

What's this about teaming up?  Do you have to get into pairs in the Fellsman?  I don't really do holding hands, not even with cd who I consider a top bloke.

I'll look into both of those.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Re: the Fling.  Pity about those 400m.  That was a suitably wild area to finish in including another good river crossing and droning pipes.

My campsite is going to be packed out - that's where I usually shower, in peace.

• Options
    think i should exorcise this demon and do it..how do you sort car logistics out if you're alone?
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

" Privately owned land ... does not follow well defined footpaths".    Well, I've done that before, but only when it's been a mistake!

Would make May a bit busy with Housman 100 and Marlborough Downs 33.

• Options
    a 200 mile racing month t rex...will set you up for the proper one..utld100..come  on, we know you fancy it
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

At least that one's on paths!  Reading DE's and BritNick's blogs makes it sound .. umm ... attractive, yeah, that's the word.  A nice day out in the fells.

How about the L50 by way of introduction?  I am going to have to find a permanent solution to my blister problem before I attempt that 100.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sound advice, TY. I'll be doing that this winter. Also going to try twin-skin socks.

Talking myself into the Lakeland 50 at the moment.  The 100 seems to require mountain race experience which, quite frankly, I haven't got.  What I propose to do would be my first race of that sort.

• Options

Hello all, sorry I've been quiet for so long. I have lurked on and off whenever I've had the chance.

T Rex, I have enjoyed following your exploits. Every one is an epic with an unexpected twist. When's the book coming out?

What's all this about the Highland Fling being shortened? Did I read correctly?

Next May will be busy as always - Fellsman, Marlborough Downs Challenge, Housman 100. As cd says, nice training for UTLD100. I'd add a rider to that: as long as you keep it up through June and July to avoid going off the boil. T Rex? (I'd excuse you if you did the 50. It is a bit of a b.....d.)

A couple of weekends ago I enjoyed a nice sedentary weekend being propelled by steam through Fellsman country; absolutely magical. I saw THE ROUTE from atop Artengill viaduct looking down towards Stone House and from below Blea Moor (lap it up and drool, Fellrunner image). Then this weekend just gone I experienced a spot of surprising success on the Bullock Smithy Hike. Sorry I didn't get to (knowingly) speak, safetypin. Piccies are linked to the reports

• Options

100 100 mr rex. you can do it

i didnt find twin any good..only asking for problems...lube, decent socks eg innov8 and shoes that suit

fr..think you've finally talked me into it as i have also talked myself into lining up for the 100

the serious work and weight loss starts er er er tomorrow? no, maybe next week..hang on...maybe

• Options
    didnt see your post bn..hello..and well done..quick shuffling that image
  • Options
    Fellrunner wrote (see)

Congrat`s on the saving`s EUPH, as you say it is always good to save a bit and on that basis all my entry fees and kit are paid for out of the savings I make not going to training camps

Nicely snook that one in there, knew you couldn't resist image. Cape Wrath marathon!! really, bet thats a great, small entry event?

SP - Used to get taken to Tan hill a lot when young, the thought of doing Tan Cat (or Cat Tan) sometime is very tempting.

I'd also suggest Fellsman as a challenging nav ultra to do. As many have pointed out I will have to do again as it was far too dry this year. I believe it doesn't count unless your up to your waist in Fleet Moss "mudgsh" (mud/sludge/marsh) at least once? Good organisation, great route and varied food make this a perfect challenge. I got to FM with enough time before grouping to have some food and then escape across it in light which was pretty much gone by Dent. Lads that Mark and I were teamed with were of pretty similar ability, they could walk faster than me, but I could run.

I reckon the size of the climbs make Fellsman a good prep for the L100s major undulations. Although the underfoot conditions are quite different for the most part. Though fellsman is more off-path, i found the hard rocky paths of L100 a real killer.

• Options
    BN - Well done, just had a skim of BS report and will have a proper read later - damn good pace. That viaduct bit of fellsman brings back pleasent memories of this year for me. Sun was out, nature and industry mixed to grand effect and the promise of pasta at the bottom of the descent!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

BritNick - " let's twist again ... like we did ...."  I could write a book, or even a song, but who'd buy it?

Yes, Fling being shortened by 400M.  Presumably they'll add this distance to the other end, or perhaps a little dog-leg and a cone to run round.  Or perhaps a slightly longer route climbing to the summit of Conic Hill - that would be interesting.

I hardly ever do any running in June because of work commitments (examining), but plan to do Cork marathon right at the beginning of it.

• Options
    anyone up and fancy a run...soon need to don headtorches again !
  • Options
    collie dave wrote (see)
    anyone up and fancy a run...soon need to don headtorches again !
    wrong! 0540 still dark..first headtorch run of the autumn