Options

Outlaw 2011

Comments

• Options
    SA - lovely finish to your report.  I wish I had known Jordy was there as I am desperate to meet him and gutted to have missed him
  • Options
    Ah bloody hell SA, you've got me weeping here! Awesome report. Carrying on when your head was telling you not to must have been so hard, but you did it, and that must have been some finish. So happy for you both, what an amazing team you make image
    Fabulous!
  • Options
    Felt privileged to travel a little of the way with you SA and Mrs SA. Deeply cool people.
  • Options

Fantastic report SA! Loving the quote from T1 "I don't want to do this anymore"!

I think the key to finishing is to show as much enthusiasm as Jordy does supporting and it'll be a breeze then image

• Options
    fantastic race reports, and a pat on the back to all the Outlaws and a very special thank you to volunteers, families and friends that have supported us all! My OH finished before my team(psof5) image It looks like we are off to Nevada in November!
  • Options

So many great reports, almost as orsum as the race results image

Well done again Pirates image

• Options

Loving reading the reports. Seeing all the cameraderie of the Pirates, and meeting and being welcomed by people I've never met before,  made this the best event ever. I thought support arond London was good but it just does not compare. 

Wearing the Black and yellow probably gave me at least 30 minutes.

I now have 2 problems.

1. I need to buy some more kit. Thank you Scmunkee for modelling the Cycle Jacket on Saturday
    2. How to persuade the OH to put up with training for next year.

Bugger!!, Note to self. You said you were only going to do one Ironman!!

• Options
    CD .. there is no such thing as 'only one Ironman'  image
  • Options
    Cornish Digger wrote (see)

Ha ha, I reckon your not the first to have said that!!!

• Options

SA...Brilliant report...your calming words to me as we were about to start and seeing you just before the finish area and the double high five were amazing.

• Options
    Meldy, i wish you were wrong about that, but i think we're all doomed really, hehehe
  • Options
    What a wonderful thing this all is. Way beyond anything I could ever have imagined.
    As the time passes since THE day my feelings for it just keep on getting better and better. I'm so glad to have experienced it.

Top reports!!!

• Options
    *delurks*

Loving reading the reports, guys - I had a whale of a time helping at the feed station and have been hugely inspired by you all image
    Bring on 2012, I say image
  • Options

Brilliant reports!
    Computer screen seemed to go all misty after SA's report. Can't understand it image

• Options
    I agree, Madlot. I was expecting the comedown I usually get after races, but this was my first iron-distance, and it just feels great, every aspect of the day felt special. I don't know if it was the supporters, the organisation, having my parents come over from Ireland just to see me, seeing the emotion in the eyes of my loved ones, the amazing camaraderie of the triathlon family, but I feel like a new person now, nothing dramatic but somehow calmly satisfied.
    By the way, I think I saw you at various stages of the run, SlowEngineer (you have the dyed hair, right?)and believe me you disguised the suffering well, you looked totally in control - well done.
  • Options
    Nice one Tiago image. Must feel soooooo amazing to know you can call yourself an Ironman, yee haaaaa! image
  • Options
    That reminds me of the commentator, who I kept hearing say 'you are an Ironman... I mean, Outlaw!'
    It does feel good though, yes.
    Anyone else having the 'what next?' thoughts yet?
  • Options
    Tiago.....What next..easy, we go back and go faster.
  • Options
    Easy. That nervous chat in the carpark seems like a long time ago, F.F.
  • Options
    Hell yeah mate.
  • Options
    Well, meeting blokes in car parks to 'go back and do it faster' is one idea, but you could always just sign up for another ironman instead image Hehehehehe
  • Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    Well, meeting blokes in car parks to 'go back and do it faster' is one idea, but you could always just sign up for another ironman instead image Hehehehehe

Ahem!! you can fur cough

• Options

so many more great reports...........i love reading themimage

I have manged to refrain from crying.......image

• Options
    Fab reports image

and I did cry imageimage well just a little misty eyed
  • Options
    Half_PintHalf_Pint ✭✭✭
    Amazing, so inspiring!
  • Options

Anymore reports to come? Loving them all!
  • Options
    Cornish Digger wrote (see)
    2. How to persuade the OH to put up with training for next year.

If you get kicked out then I'll put you up for a week or two!

Option two is secret midnight training...

• Options

I have endured an emotional rollercoaster over the past 6 months and It ended in style... I missed the finishing shute!! The marshals did allow me to climb over the barrier and end my race properly, which was good!!

Ok from the top. This was my first Iron. I had the small trip to bala which set me up nicely. I took onboard all the advice from forums, that race experience and past masters of Iron (friends, writers, elites etc) to planned outlaw as if it was my last swan song. Arrived on the Saturday at around 10am, setting up camp first, then headed to reg to book my death bed and purchase some compressport (good stuff by the way) and then on to the race briefing at 11am. Best question there was "is the bike course well marked"!! 

Packed my outlaw bags. Over the previous week, I created little lists that I had generated from Chrisse's column in 220 and Fink's Ironfit, a checklist for each bag, and I must say it took the stress out of it. managed to check-in and rack up by 2pm, where we proceeded to Southwell for an early dinner at the bramely apple pub (left side after the roundabout and s-bend in southwel) which I must say was comfort food at its best!

Had a snack and a cuppa before heading to bed at 8pm. Set the alarm at 3am. Had breakfast (4 clif bars, porriage, electrolyte drink and a coffee), then presented myself (shave, teeth cleaned) before heading down to the start at 5am. Time just flew by... Checked my gear, wetsuit on, and gel necked at 5.40am. The start was a good laugh. One chap said this was his second ever tri (sprint in may 2011 was his other), another was back again this year for more of the same (he liked chicken nuggets), and another couldn't touch the lake floor (to quote "because i'am a midget")!!!

No warm up, not sure if it was down to lack of time or if it was just prohibited, but I do usually like a warm up. I tried to be calm and collective on the swim. And it worked. 1hour 12minutes. It was a bit of a fight in there, plenty going on. Saw quite a few without goggles! T1 was good. Managed to change quite quickly however, to jump the gun slightly, at the end when I collected my bags I noticed my wetsuit was missing. I had left the bloody thing in the middle of the changing tent... sorry if you tripped on it!!!

Mounted the bike within 4minutes 30sec. Planned to take it easy for the first 30 miles, plenty of fluid onboard, low heart rate, and taking a clif shot block every 20 minutes. Felt really strong. Managed 20mph in the first 30mi. Next leg was 30-60mi. Aimed to hit a steady zone 2 heart and keep the nutrition coming. Had toilet stop on heartbreak hill.. the pirate stronghold. Then 60-90mi I would ignore the HRM and go on feel. But his section didn't live up to expectation. I managed to keep in zone 2, but I know I was in cardiac drift, more was in the tank I think. Not to find excuses, but a BTF motorbike muttered something at me as he past during this leg. I could not work it out. I was on my own, riding safely, etc... I was worrying about DQ I think, so I took my eye of the ball for a good 30 minutes, thinking about what he said. At the moment I have: keep in, something about my race belt/number, maybe even encouragement (I very much doubt!). Anyway, I sorted myself out and brought it back together. At the hill before the decent toward the white pub check point, I rallied myself and roared down the road like a cannonball. I must have been averaging 25+mph. Came in at 5hours 55minutes.. 15minutes slower than my planned time.............