Options

Outlaw 2011

Comments

• Options
    Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

I remember a marshall shouting to me as I dismounted my bike.  Well done you’ve only got a marathon to do!!!   Everything was hurting like mad as I changed into my running shoes.  I took a couple of painkillers and “hobbled” off into the run.

Headed off round the lake (that seemed such a looooong way!).  It was then that I spotted SA on the other side of the lake and was waving frantically at him.  Eventually he saw me and waved back.  It was then into the out-and-back route.  Opted for the jog/walk strategy.  Spotted Jordy and my mum and dad and stopped to give them all a big hug.  Think my mum was a bit worried about me as she kept asking if I was OK.   After reassuring her that I would be ok I headed off and spotted Cake coming the opposite way. As soon as he clocked me he dropped to his knees to pay homage to me!!!   He then informed me that SA was only about a mile ahead.   Great we can catch a big hug and a snog when he comes back this way I thought.  You could see the relief on SA’s face that I was OK when we met up.  We always said that ideally we wanted to cross the finish together with Jordy.  We were going to do it.  SA said he would wait for me at 20 miles.  The support was fantastic on the run course not just from the spectators but also the people manning the feedstations.  And the camarardre amongst the competitors was brilliant.

Finally got to the 20 mile.  I had missed SA so much during my dark moments on the bike that I now wanted to stick to him like glue and never leave his side.   It was at this point that I got a bit tearful.  I was going to finish my first Ironman distance. Best of all with the two men in my life!   We spotted our parents and Jordy in the distance and informed them that we had 1 lap to do and to get Jordy ready for the finish.  We carried on with the jog/walk strategy and visualised the finish.    I will never forget that run down the finishing chute.   I was so proud.  I am also proud to be a pirate.

I know this report has been a little bit long-winded but I would just like to say a few thankyous …… to SA, my husband, soul-mate and best friend.  You have been with me every step of the way in my training and gave me the confidence and belief  to finish the Outlaw. 

To Monique.  Thankyou for your valuable advice. 

To Cake, who on hearing that we had not been given a medal (due to the race organisers losing them) gave me his.     

And finally to the Pirates.  Thankyou for your support.  I am proud to wear the black and yellow.

• Options
    Awwww Mrs SA ..lovely report     image

Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Just thinking about giant tents/marquees next year - it could be the pirate hotel.  I love camping with a passion as everyone knows image but if we were all in there together it would be like a giant sleepover.  No one sleeps much the night before a race anyway...  Just a thought.
    Have you ever slept in the same vicinity as some of these boys?     image
  • Options
    brilliant report Mrs SAimage
  • Options

Mrs Sa my tent and burgin was stashed in the marshells office and picked it up before I met you. The organiser was almost in meltdown trying to work out where one of this box's had gone. I recon ever they are going to find a medel box in a van soon or some chav's have lifted one of the box's with the medels into. My money's on the latter because they are normally exseptionally good at organising races.

Said well done to all but exceptionally well done to yourself you are my hero! Juggling two big kids and training as well. image image

Hen Carl snores a lot. image

• Options
    slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Did anybody else see the gimp suit fella on the bike route?
    He had a gorgeous TT bike with full carbon dick wheel on the back and a penguin hat. Other than that, he had the aerodynamic properties of blancmange.

Hope i haven't just offended anybody image

That STIL is the infamous Timmy G, he was last in 2010 with 5mins to spare. He has done some training as he was 2nd last this year and PBd by about 20mins.

And Azzattack I was next to the fence when you had to jump over the fence at the finish, classic image

• Options
    Brilliant report Mrs SA, loved seeing the 3 of you finish together. image
  • Options
    Just got back from a few days away and have loved reading all your brill reportsimage
    CD I knew one wouldnt be enough image Wales is still open image
    SA I will never forget your finish with Jordy last year as long as I live, reading about you and Mrs SAs efforts this year have really got the tears going image

Cake you are a gentleman, top bloke!

Pirates rock no question!
  • Options
    Mrs SA I loved your report which captures loads of pirate spirit by you and the other competitors and supporters. Fabulous racing and reporting. A huge well done to you.
  • Options
    Mrs SA, that was a fabulous report. Got me weeping again. As Max said, watching SA and Jordy finish last year was utterly brilliant, so i' so pleased for you that you got to do it too this year. You're both amazing image

Cake you are a wee sweetheart!!! image

• Options

RBM,, IM Wales???

11th Sept???

Well if someone can take the salt out of the sea,  and the waves, oh and warm it up by about 10degrees, if I win the lottery for the entry fee and my OH will let me cancel summer, I may just think about it.

NOT!!!!image

• Options
    So that's a maybe then CD ? You know it makes sense image
    ridgebackmax wrote (see)
     SA I will never forget your finish with Jordy last year as long as I live, reading about you and Mrs SAs efforts this year have really got the tears going
    Ditto, it was a bit misty here last night reading all the reports ...
  • Options
    Nicko, where was the help!? I threw my gels on the ground in frustration at myself. Then I realised that would be littering so quickly picked them up! Can you imagine a dq at the end of outlaw image
  • Options

It's taken a while but here's the final part of the day! 

So running is the bit that I enjoy and should be best at,  have been doing plenty of brick sessions and had good runs at 2 earlier middle distance races in my warmup for this.

Out of the tent,  got myself smeared in suntan lotion before heading off on the run,  out of transition just after Mon so a little run and chat with her,  then with Cake who’d set off at a  similar time.   I went too quick for first mile so slowed the pace to 9 min miling and held this at a comfortable HR of 150 for the first 10 miles,  energy drink and water at each feed station along with water over head to stay cool,  a couple of gels in the first 10 miles and through in 90 minutes, plenty of pirates on the run course so cheery greetings and high 5s in abundance  (even though Cakey nearly knocked me over with the force of his!),
    Then I started to slow marginally and all of a sudden HR monitor gave me a warning beep,  feed station coming up so thought walk through there whilst it stabilises and then off on run again,  through 13miles in 2hrs and then the beep again as HR is showing 170bpm,  walk whilst it drops, down to 110bpm within about 20 secs,  start running again and within a minute it’s upto 180bpm, couldn’t work out if HR monitor was playing up or it’s the impact of having been a bit under the weather prior to the race. 
    Anyway decided to play cautious, and walk / run to short intervals for about 5 miles until I finally managed to get about 10mins of running in again before the whole scenario started again,  it’s a pleasant enough run course but I was feeling pretty rough and despite trying to encourage the number of pirates still out on the course I think in hindsight I was a bit mentally down by not being able to control the HR as I’d want to.

• Options

Stretch goal of sub 12:30 was long gone by now,  previous pb of  13:52 should still be comfortably in the bag so I was furiously trying to calculate what I needed to do to hit the intermediate sub 13hr target,  it wasn’t helped by the fact that I’d stopped my watch for a few minutes coming out of T2 so was having to rely on a bit of guesswork as to how long I’d been out there.
    Got my last band and thought I had about 20-25 mins to make it to the finish,  heard the commentator announce Madlot coming down the chute with his kids which put a huge smile on my face and spurred me into more running than walking,  quick cup of water over my head at the final feed station and a concerted shuffle down the final mile of the lake but bloody hell that’s a long way when your body isn’t working properly,  I could hear the commentator encouraging in the last sub 13 finishers and realised at this stage that a sub 30 second 200m was just a bit too much to ask (who am I kidding,  I’ve not run that quick in the past 25 years).  The pressure was off so I eased up and saw the family waiting at the end of the finish chute,  I was joined by my fantastic girls for the run down the finish chute including the comedy moment of having to go back for Amy’s shoe that had fallen off in her haste to outsprint me to the line.  image 

Run 04:43:49 (2010 – 04:58:47) 
    Total 13:01:14 (2010 – 13:52:55)

A bit of food  (although I didn’t fancy much after the walk through the medical tent), swapping of stories with Mon, Madlot, Cornish & STIL (great performance mate wouldn’t have thought I’d ever see you do this 20 yrs ago when you were so slow to the breakdownimage) then quick shower before a beer and joining the fantastic pirate support posse in the grandstand. 

Special mention for Family SA,  a finish that surpassed last years and brought a tear to my eye. Overall another awesome weekend,  great to meet some new faces and catch up with some old ones,  congratulations to all those who finished particularly those who popped their Iron Distance cherry and some unbelievably good performances to boot in there. 
    Without a doubt there was some of the best support that a competitor could hope for,  along with a feed station to rival any…….Outlaw 2012 is going to be an amazing event…..I’ll be there in some capacity.

• Options

That answer a question i had from the race, i thought it was you that ruffled my hair in the tent but wasn't sure...top report Jaff!!!

• Options
    Nice one, Jaffa. Great to see you, mate, after all these years. Thanks for the support on the run. Gave me a big pick-up when I saw your smiley face coming down the two path. I surprised myself, but I think I'm carrying some 80lbs less toxic lard than I was when we used to prop for you!
    So it was Cake who was the "we're not worthy" man. You're a gent, Sir. Doubt you could tell from my beetroot face, b ut you didn't half make me blush.

See you all there next year!

I'm Wales 11th Sept? Anys suggestions on a 6-week training plan if I sign-up for it? Do I need a few more weeks of peak - or just steady stuff?
  • Options

recover , steady and taper............then IMW.........no problemimage

still loving the reports

• Options

All great stuff!  SAs seem to be winning misty eyed finish of the year award!

So a load of people have no medals? And Cake gave his up??? Well that's amazing.  What a top pirate. image

• Options

But I was only doing the relay at the end of the day it was just another day in the countdown to 100 and got to spend it with mates. Can we move on to silly jokes now. image

Apologies to Jaffa by the way didn’t realise my high 5 was that strong.
  • Options
    Brilliant reports, Looking forward to helping out next year on the feed station.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    the way it's looking at the mo Mon is that there'll be more experience on the feedstation that in the race with all the newbies......

• Options
    But how sober will the feed station be image
  • Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)
    Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Just thinking about giant tents/marquees next year - it could be the pirate hotel.  I love camping with a passion as everyone knows image but if we were all in there together it would be like a giant sleepover.  No one sleeps much the night before a race anyway...  Just a thought.
    Have you ever slept in the same vicinity as some of these boys?     image
    Yes - possibly I was a bit hasty...  Love the idea of it but think that actually I'll find a nice hotel bed somewhere.
  • Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/412035/Gallery/IMG_5168_(1).jpg

Now if i knew these two were behind me i would have run alot faster!!

• Options

The reports have been great! Laughed and cried and then had to try and explain to my hubby who looks on in bemusement.

Any more links to some photos? Would love to see a bit more of what the day looked like.

• Options
    AH, I stayed at a really nice B&B on a working farm, about 20 minutes from Home Pierrepont, it was ideal, it was called Jerico Farm, I can highly recommend it.
  • Options

Will try to get a few more up, i'm not on arsebook where most seem to share there photos

• Options
    I’ve got loads on my phone from T1 and the swim will upload onto to arsebook once I’ve got a moment with the tother halfs pc. Anyone got a flicker account we could all put in for folks to see?   
  • Options
    Cake wrote (see)
    I’ve got loads on my phone from T1 and the swim will upload onto to arsebook once I’ve got a moment with the tother halfs pc. Anyone got a flicker account we could all put in for folks to see?   
    You should be able to copy a Facebook link to the album that  lets everybody see them.