Options

IMUK 2011

Comments

• Options
    where did you go swimming woody?? i'll be doing my first ow of the season next week when i'm going to be in Reading....after that i'm looking for a place (especially a freebee if there is one) for weekend swims
  • Options
    Sorry to barge in but has anyone got a good link to the bike course showing distance/profile etc?
  • Options
    here you go sweetfeet

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/19718296

you do this loop 3 times...sorry i have not mapped the route to and from the loop
  • Options
    Thanks Andy. Much appreciated. Cheers.
  • Options

And this is the link from the flash T1 to the bottom of Sheep House Lane.

Link

• Options

Sorry Andy I missed your post.

It's High Rid Reservoir only about half a mile from where I live. The local authority use it for water activities but only during the day and I don't think they would mind if stay away from the pontoon end. If you fancy it I could give you a shout next time I'm going, show you where I park and get in.

• Options
    sounds perfect mate i know where you mean....do you have to pay?? are there any marked out areas we could measure??
    i prob cant make this weekend and am away next week but drop me a text whenever your planning going and we'll come (give me a bit of notice like..lol)
  • Options

Will do I've already mapped some as follows.

Pontoon to pier  0.22 M

One lap  0.78 M

Main dam  0.11 M

• Options
    It's not like official so no fees. I've seen people swimming in there before and it's listed on the OW swimming society's website.
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    Free swimming - you can't beat it - well certainly compared to 4 quid to watch some old elastoplasts floating around a pool where old girls are swimming breastroke in a row across the fast lane!
  • Options
    so one lap is .78 of a KM or .78 of a mile??
    sounds like it could be perfect.

just done todays ride....1.11 for 16.2 miles with over 750 climing...one hill 17% whatever that means...only just noticed that sign today

anyway good....enjoyed it and legs starting to feel strong again properly now!!!
  • Options
    Ali Bongo wrote (see)
    Free swimming - you can't beat it - well certainly compared to 4 quid to watch some old elastoplasts floating around a pool where old girls are swimming breastroke in a row across the fast lane!
     LOL  agree on both image  public pools are a nightmare.
  • Options

Mile Andy one lap plus pontoon to pier = 1 mile but you might not be able to do that if LA are using it.

I need to get out on the bike week last Monday since I was out, not good enough!

• Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Just read your blog Andy - brought a tear to my eye - you have got massive ba11s taking it on again mate - respect.

Off for my brick session now - fingers crossed the ankle is OK for the run .....if not I'll have to fall in love with my bike for a few weeks LOL.

• Options

Did a loop of the bike course for the first time today 2hrs15 with traffic lights and a missed turn or two.

I hate the pool at times too. Got moaned at by some old lady yesterday for getting in the fast lanes with her, she was taking about 5 mins to swim one 20m length. I kept calm though and resisted the temptation to swim over her a couple of times.  

• Options
    Thanks for saying that Ali, i appreciate it mate...i'll have a better day this year!!!

Firey...very respectable time that...you'll piss it come race day mate with closed roads!!!
  • Options
    Hope so Andy. I joined up with another guy doing the same route on babylon lane and got chatting. He has done IMUK before so this will be his second time. Not sure if this was the reason for the decent time but doing the course anti- clockwise as apposed to my usual clockwise route certainly made a difference. Also not sure how long I could keep that pace. Good ride though, and to think I nearly jibbed it today. 
  • Options
    ah is he local Firey?? get his name??
    Mate dont worry...for this time of year your pace is fine.....dont forget that was the fastest i managed last year....and i made the cut off.
    Ali B....i 'might' have time for two laps saturday mate...at least one and a half....i have a belting tough ride for the second loop (deverted) if you fancy a challenge
  • Options

750M climb in 16 miles AB99? In 1.11? Has Smiffy been teaching you?

That is orsum.

• Options
    cheers dustboy...just need to start really upping the distances now but times been a bit of an issue for me...thats should all change after this weekend!!!!
  • Options
    10k run done....not much to report...1.06...not brill but good for me!!!
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

I'll be good for a couple of laps Andy if I can remember the route 2nd time round.  We'll see about the challenge based on my legs......

Andy - is the bike course fully closed for the race or just parts of it?

I note from 220 magazine this month that the run route has changed - it going to be  laps of the city centre so great for supporters and those who will need some confidence boosting!!! 

Race director also said of the the bike route, "Mice need not apply" LOL!

Did 50 mile bike yesterday in zone 2 in 2 hrs 55 mins so well pleased and then a 10 mile run today in 1:30 - ankle a bit achey but holding up.  Sea swim tomorrow at lunch time - hopefully mile and  a half.

Looking forward to seeing anybody that can make it on Saturday morning

• Options
    its 'closed' fully...which in reality means they have coned off areas on corners and stop traffic for you.....but you will see cars...the area is too big...but the signs tell people you are there so it works ok.

WHAT??? the run has changed?? i dont see how that can be...T2 is at rivington school and you run to horwich...then to bolton...then back and back to bolton...3 'laps'

and yeah...the bike route is tough once...3 times is a killer!!!
  • Options
    oh by the way...10 miles takes me 2 hours!!!!
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

Running is the one thing I can do mate! Provided my muscles dont tear again.  That said, don't think will do me any good after T2 though!!!!

The run route is deffo changed according to the race director in 220 magazine (the article is on all the UK iron distance events)  - I think it now comes in from Rivington and then goes round and round rather than out and back. Interesting that IM Wales bike route has apparently more climbing on the bike course (just), but it is spread around a bit rather than mostly in one place!!

Yeah - didn't think the roads would be competely shut over such a big area - must say I enjoyed closed roads at the London Tri last year - first time I had seen that on any event I had done and it was great fun

• Options
    Nah i think its the same as last year and they just dont have their facts right...it is 3 'loops' and does go right to the finish where you have to turn away (which finished me off) but the imuk site shows the route in full....and it would be on there if they changed it
  • Options
    I've been told the Bolton evening news reported that the route had changed. I haven't seen the article so can't comment on it.
  • Options
    Wondering if they have dropped the T2 to the Barn and back bit  for laps in town centre?
  • Options
    Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭

It a prety big article in 220 magazine that describes all 3 courses.  The race director says that they have definitely changed the route this year and gone for laps in the town centre.  Didn't mention T2, but I assume Woody's idea is probably exactly what they have done - in from Rivington and then round the centre a few times before finishing at the Town Hall.

I've looked at the web site too and it seems that they still have last years route on it - that said they do seem to be slow in updating it for this year's course

• Options
    Be interesting to see what they do then...might work out better cause last year the 'lap' was almost all the way back to T2. lol

36k bike ride for me today....did the horwich Triathlon route but just cut it a little short to avoid a busy spot...bit to windy to really enjoy it but good training i guess!!