Options

Time trialling Thread

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the pep talk guys - and sorry for the grumpy face. I think I'm going to go for it.
  • Options
    Where are the photos Doozer ?
  • Options
    Gyraffe - not that you do it for the money, but there is always a bit of prize money on offer, with small women fields, there is a good chance of picking up a few beer tokens over the year.  Even I won £7 this year
  • Options

Yeah, crit racing gives you (and your tyres!!!) a good workout!!!!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/danowat/60359_477884366110_699341110_7227265_3324471_n.jpg

• Options
    I'm aiming to get under 21 for a 10 next year - I may have to brave a DC course for this. 22.30 on the club 10 course. I'd also like to go under the hour for 25.

Hopefully some interval training will help.
  • Options
    Doozer - that would be a hoot! Am astonished you won anything - you don't even train do you... image
  • Options
    I dont know Doozer white is quite fetching, just need a white helmet and overshoes voila !!!image
  • Options
    I was *nearly* convinced to give this a go this year but am too much of a coward so my cunning plan is to take my mate along with me this year/next year ...... possibly!

Is it seasonal?

I did see a flyer from the C100 about a womens only, is this usual or a one off?
  • Options
    Meldy - the local 10 I did was fine - they were really encouraging even though I was crap.
  • Options
    But I dont live local to you   image
  • Options

Melds - generally it is a season running from March - Sept, but you might find a few races in the winter, we have a boxing day one locally. 

Gyraffe wrote (see)
    Doozer - that would be a hoot! Am astonished you won anything - you don't even train do you... image

Just on ocassions.

Gumps, that was my aim this year to break 21, never got round to entering any fast 10's, holidays and Tri's got in the way.  If you are knocking out 22.30 now, under the hour for 25 should be a given. 

• Options
    Pebbles...........are there any in the near future in south wales.............I think i should start doing theseimage
  • Options
    Cheers Dooz, will keep a look out next year

That gives me a few months to find some excuses image
  • Options
    as a by the way, is there any merit in doing your own out of 'race conditions'?
  • Options
    I think so, yes, I used a local TT course and did a few "solo" runs on my own, just to get a handle on the course, and how to pace it.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Doozer - do the coded numbers next to your list represent a course then ? How does a numpty like me find out about local races and take part in them ? Do you have to belong to a bike club ? I fancy doing some 25s and 50s on the grifter, I'm getting stronger on a bike now.

the training sounds good too, in training I just try and ride 40 or 50 (or whatever) miles as fast as possible, usually trying to average as close to (or as much over) 20 mph as I can.

• Options

Tr - yep they represent courses, each area has a local DC that you can find all club and open TT's on

http://www.southdc.org.uk/  here is the link for ours.  A few courses in the Pompey area, I was in Liphook saturday for one.

You can ride the courses as training, but nothing will make you put as much effort in as pinning a number to your back, trying to catch or not be caught by your minute man.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    thanks - I'm not going to go and ride them on my own. I just wondered how I get involved. So I can just find an event, enter it and show up and race ? as an unattached rider ?
  • Options

I did my first 3 open time trials this year - previously I've only done road races or club time trials.

Of the 3 the first one was in very strong winds and did a 1.03 on the A1 - bit scarey being blown towards HGVs.   Second one I did a 57 something in an evening event - inter club but apparently because it had official time keepers I can use it as my LTS time so I'm told.   Third one I punctured as soon as I started to warm up and had to beg a training wheel off someone and go straight to the start, was a bit windy too - did a 58.   

So  if you do plan to have a good go at it I reckon you need to do a full season.   I did three on fast courses but only really got one shot at a decent time because it is so weather dependent and something like a puncture can stuff you.   I did manage to win the club time trial series overall this year and beat some riders in that comfortably  who were doing 55s in opens (club course is more of a sporting circuit) so would like to have a go at doing a 55 in a 25 and a long 20 in a 10 but unless I really made it a target I don't think it would happen - and I'm concentrating on road races and a continental sportive next year.    

The other thing is you start thinking if only I had a disc, more aero bike, shoe covers etc etc.    That's definitely part of the sport - not just a money thing - it's as much about investing time in thinking about your kit, your position etc etc.  

• Options
    TR - you can possibly ride a club event unattached - for an open you need to be in an affiliated club or an individual member.
  • Options
    popsider wrote (see)
    TR - you can possibly ride a club event unattached - for an open you need to be in an affiliated club or an individual member.
    Agreed, worth joining a club if you plan on doing a few though.  Will gaureentee you a ride on those float nights that everyone turns up for.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    thanks, from looking at the race calenders it looks like its something for the spring now though
  • Options

As far as I know, dependant on the club, you can ride any club TT's without pre-entering, and without being a member of a club, open events are different, you must be a member, and you must pre-enter.

Have a look at your local cycle club, they probably run some club TT's

• Options
    Its a good idea before you just "turn up" to give someone a ring from the organising club to enquire whether you can actually "just turn up" as some club events are only open to members and 2nd claim members. Its quite cheap to join a cycling club, so I'd suggest you join your local club, there is sure to be someone there who can advise you other clubs events in your area.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    good idea, there's a few clubs near me
  • Options
    FerrousFerret wrote (see)
    MC- what were you using kit wise?  Can you just rock up with a road bike and clip on tri-bars?
    Ferret,  I did one 10 mile TT this year and like MC just turned up on my entry level Spec Allez with clip on tribars and went for it,  great fun.  Did one of the Redhill CC ones,  worth you having a look at them for next season.
    There are some seriously quick guys down there (winner was sub 20mins) but they're friendly enough.
  • Options
    Seconded what Pebble says about giving them a ring - I think our club likes people to be a member of some affiliated club for insurance purposes.  
  • Options
    It is also worth remembering that times are very relative, busy dc courses with ski slopes will be a lot faster than other courses run on quiet hilly roads so a 23-24 min time could actually be very good for that course. Look at the course record as a guide, if it's sub 20 it's a fast course and if the person who set it is Michael Hutchinson then add 5+ minutes for a normal persons time.
  • Options
    That's exactly what I think about my 25.xx image