Options

Great North Run 2011

Comments

• Options

Hello

Well done to everyone,some great times being posted and brilliant PBS,

I cant believe how stiff my legs feel today.

• Options

I dont have any fancy split times, but this is off the greatrun.org site

5km - 32.44

10km - 1:06.44

15km - 1:42.46

Finish - 2:28.07

CBC

• Options
    spongecake wrote (see)

I cant believe how stiff my legs feel today.

Me neither - my calves are killing me, my quads are killing me, my hamstrings are killing me ... and my toes are even sore.  I'm walking like a robot and everyone at work has been laughing at me.

Plus I've had to do a 12 hour shift in work today - I can't go home till 9pm and I'm knackered.

• Options

Oh yeah - did anyone else notice that big sign they'd put up across one of the footbridges that crosses part of the route - I think along the Felling By pass, but it could've been later:

it read something like "Tired? Try training harder next year!" 

I remember running past it thinking 'What a smug, sarky little sign - of course I'm tired, I've been running fast for 5 or 6 miles and still have another 7 or 8 to do, and there's nowt wrong with my training, thanks very much!'  image

Hi Mandie - glad to hear you got home safely.  Same goes for everyone else who travelled from other parts of the country.

• Options

Shielsy... I know the feeling about working today. I felt stiff and sore and then kept getting sent up and down stairs to do various jobs. It got to the point where i began to wonder if they were doing it on purpose.

Then, my supervisor asked WHY i was in? - never mind that my holiday request for the day wasn't accepted

• Options

Shielsy- yes I saw that sign and wasn't sure how to take it.  The bit that made me smile was the heavy metal band on the roundabout at  8.3miles (I think) belting out ACimageC's "Whole lotta Rosie".

I was allowed today off work and a brisk walk with the dog has worked wonders for the stiffness.

• Options

Hi Shielsy - yes we made it home ok thanks (well apart from a few scary moments on the M62 in THE most horrendous rain). Not long now til you can go home!

My legs have really stiffened up as today has gone on too. They were just a tad tight when we left the hotel this morning and I think the journey back hasn't helped but I'm walking wose than I did after Edinburgh now. Maybe a bottle of beer will help until I can take my dog out for an extended walk tomorrow??

• Options

Have had a terrible knee for the past few weeks but managed to grit my teeth at the 4 mile mark and the pain dissipated shortly after!

Got 1 hour 28 minutes, my first time under 1 hour 30, so chuffed to bits!

• Options
    Mandie- nice to meet you underneath the arches yesterday.  Yes, a beer will be very therapeutic- I'm about to start sipping my medicine now.
  • Options

Shielsy - Thanks for mentioning "that" sign. I thought I was seeing things. It did make me laugh coz I was plodding on quite comfortably at that point. Not sure how it was meant. A bit tasteless  perhaps for those struggling though.

Old Shadowfax - Re the band. I thought that much Spandex was illegal these days! They were "Tuning" up as I went past

I am on a rest day today so respect to those working today. I start a 6 day week tomorrow so takingti easy today.

• Options

I know one of the chaps who plays in that band at the bottom of the John Reid Road - the one wearing the leather shorts to his knees with the long brown hair?  He works at our place image.

They get that gig every year.  I was going to shout to  him, but I just didn't have the energy at that stage (probably because I'd been mistakenly knocking back Powerade that had no sugar in it! image)

• Options
    Old Shadowfax - I might have the section of coverage you are after. I still have to check so I'll let you know.
  • Options

Well done everyone - hopefully I will be joining you next year! Felt really down watching it on TV yesterdayimage

Sounds like the zero powerade didn't go down too well - what a waste of money (maybe the organisers got a special offer!!!) Mind you, I don't think I've drunk powerade since last year!image

• Options
    Good evening.

This is my first post on this thread so i'd like to introduce myself,

My name is Mick, i'm 27 and live in Newcastle. *
    My half marathon PB is just over 1:25 and my 10k time amazingly quick. *
    I'm 6 foot 2 and fairly good looking but the downside if that is that I've been mistaken for George Clooney on numerous occasions. *

• Options
    * Please note; some of the above facts may actually be made up.
  • Options
    4th GNR yesterday and it felt quite a challenge to be honest.
    I done a couple of 10 mile runs leading up to yesterday but the amount of running has been very poor, only getting out once a week for a run.

I think this is why mile 10 to about 11.5 were a struggle. I was back into the survival shuffle mode!
    I picked up after 11.5 mile with the last mile being only a tad slower than the opening mile!
    I had a gel at 10 miles so it may have been the boost I needed.

I finished in 2:17:04.  10 minutes off my PB but that wasn't the aim.  The most important thing was to get around without my back complaining which i'm glad to say didn't give me a bit of bother.  My only issue is an ongoing achilies pain I have.  It was nacking after 4 miles and didn't ease off for a couple of mile.
    I really need to see a proper sports physio/foot expert!

I only drink water on the course but i'm shocked and surprised to hear that the powerade was a no carb drink.  I thought it strange to find it in my goody bag but to have it on course is puzzling!
  • Options
    lfc- fingers crossed then!
  • Options

Cheers OS - It was great to meet you too!

Hi Stringy!! image

• Options

was sure I posted something on here earlier, but unless I've blocked myself, I can't see it, so...

WELL DONE everyone who ran yesterday!  image

Sad not to have been with you all yesterday, but looking forward to next year.  Have been searching t'web all day (at work) trying to get confirmation that it's on 18th Sept so I can book my hotel. Blimmin' Travelodge at £90 a night!  Was lucky last year with the change of date, but this year I think I'll have to stump up, but waiting 'til payday next week.

Best get some running in now I s'pose...

• Options

Hi everyone!  I'm a club jogger - seems a bit optimistic to call myself a runner!  I run 3 times a week (averaging about 16 miles in total).  The furthest I've ever run is 10K - which I've done lots of times - my average time is about 1hr 5mins.  I'm finding it hard to get much quicker and I've also got a mental block about running past that 10K mark.  I love organised weekend races as they help motivate me and keep me running the distance rather than wimping out!

I'd LOVE to run a half marathon and can't think of a better first one than the Great North.  I've registered my email address today on their website for 2011 but I wanted to ask some advice of you experts. 

How does the entry system work?  How likely is it that i'll get a place the first time of asking?  How can I/should I increase my training so that I can get from 10K to half?  Why are there no 15K races out there?!!!

Thanks all 

Sharron x

• Options
    HI Mandie. image

Sharron. The GNR is the best half marathon - ever. image

The entry system is by ballot or in other words; pot luck!
    If you don't get in through the ballot, you could enter via a charity place where in exchange for a place you will be asked to raise a preset sponsorship target. 
    If you go down this route, check to see that if you don't make the target, do you have to make up the rest from your own pocket!

Once you've done one GNR, you get the option to become a member.  You pay around £45 which guarantees you entry into the next 3 GNR's however you still have to pay the entry fee which is around £40.

The step up from 10k to half is not a big a jump as you might think.
    Take a look at the Training section to find a half marathon training program.  I think they are either a 12- or 16 week programs.

best of luck!

• Options

Shielsy - I remeber them from last year. They really put a hell of a lot of effort in. I was actually peeved they werent playing coz they were so invigorating last time. I think it was your colleague that was messing around with the setting on his guitar as I passed. I'm sure he'll remember me I was about the 29,000th person after Halle G!

As I left them they started playing  and would have appreciated the buzz had I hit the zone as they were playing. Especially as the Powerade seemed to be totally ineffective compared to normal.

I remember the shorts now you mentioned them. They just were a little mutted compared to the zebra print Spandex.

On a really serious note about them - and the other bands - They seemed so genuinely enthusiastic to help us plodders round. I think they are great ambassadors for the area. After last years 21 hour round trip. I really needed the event to be special to even contemplate a return. That I got my OH and daughter to come with me again this year speaks volumes. I do hope someone tells them just how much they add to the experience.

I even had a young lad speak to me as I walked back to Monkton Stadium from the Metro enthusiastically.  

• Options

Sharon- you've taken the 1st step by registering an interest.

When you get the email in Nov/ Dec from GNR, fill in the form to enter the ballot.  Then lift your middle finger and move the end of it over the index finger.  Doing this on both hands may double your luck image.  Then wait til spring to get the email that tells you if you've been successful.  You can always get places through charities too but they will ask you to raise a certain amount of money.

If you can do a 10k in 65 mins, you can do a 1/2 marathon with some training (probably in about 2:20.  Check out the training guides on Runners World for appropriate training schedules.

There are runs between 10k and 1/2 mara distance- often they are in miles eg 10 miles.  Again check out on RW.

Last and most importantly, keep an eye on this forum for help and support.

• Options

Oops cross posts with Stringy.

This is my first post on this thread so i'd like to introduce myself,

My name is Mick, i'm 27 and live in Newcastle. *
    My half marathon PB is just over 1:25 and my 10k time amazingly quick. *
    I'm 6 foot 2 and fairly good looking but the downside if that is that I've been mistaken for George Clooney on numerous occasions. *

For a moment I thought we'd met under the bridge yesterday, but then I read the last sentence image
  • Options

Sharon - Honestly the GNR is one of the most fantastic things i have ever completed. Register your interest and then see if you get through the ballot. If not, there are many fantastic charities to choose from.

Do it, honestly you wont regret it! image

• Options

Stringy - or should I call you George?!!

Thanks so much for your response - that makes it much clearer - I've been searching the GNR website for that kind of info!

I'm going to grill a few friends at running club tomorrow night (if they manage to make it down!) to see how they got on and what training they did - or wish they'd done!

I'm off to have a look at those training plans now!  Thanks again and happy recovering!

Sharron

• Options

Thanks Claireruns and Old Shadowfax (I'm really going to have to change my boring user name!)

I didn't realise that I typed so slow that I got 2 more responses while I was replying to Stringy!

Thanks for being so supportive -  I shall be keeping everything crossed!

Sharron

• Options
    No problem, as Old Shadowfax said, this is a good place for all running (and non running!) info and advice
  • Options

Hi Yeti!

I've just been checking hotel prices too and I'm gobsmacked!!

I paid £122 for this year and next year its £178, and they want it in full when you book. I've got to have an eye test and new contact lenses this week and the dog is due her jabs this week too so I cant really afford a huge hotel bill on top. So I've got some serious decision-making to do.

1) Hang on til 1st Oct when booking.com etc release their availabilities for next Sept (although I reckon the prices will be much the same).
    2) Stay only on the Sat night and drive home straight after the race (wont get to see anyone on the Sunday night)
    3) Stay somewhere a bit further out at a slightly cheaper price (taxi fares/public transport costs will swallow up any savings)
    4) Cut my losses and not do it next year.

I'm gutted as its looking like option 4 at the moment. Its Steve I feel sorry for as he had to defer and was so disappointed to not run yesterday. He is on his first year of the membership-thingy and if we dont do it again he'll only have lost the membership fee (he's going to be claiming his entry fee back from the guy who knocked him off his bike). I've just used up my last year of membership so I can just draw the line now.

The only other option is to renew my membership and be tied to doing it for the next 3 years, by which time God knows how much it will cost!!

• Options
    Mandie- option 5: buy a tent and sleeping bag from a Go outdoors sale and you'll have plenty of change for the race and a few beers afterwards.