Options

Ironman Wales 2011

Comments

• Options
    Edit ..Sorry , pc randomly repeating old posts
  • Options

Loving the new forum name Iron Pingu image..

edit .. goddamit.. more repeated messages grr .. 

• Options
    Hehe, you must really like it, lol.  Hope you had a good birthday image
  • Options
    Pebble, that was the idea, my coach said no freewheeling even if you are doing 50mph, spin the legs, so I did lol
  • Options
    Hi
    Added some more photo's to the Long Course weekend albums which I'd forgot about. Will also be some more added on in next couple of days.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/63680130@N03/

Jon
  • Options
    Iron Rose, what's the benefit of spinning downhill rather than freewheeling? When I've got to a decent speed I've always freewheeled to rest my legs.
  • Options
    I don't think there is any benefit, if I am going too fast to pedal I just rotate my legs, no less recovery than staying still but my rpm doesn't drop to zero, which makes no difference whatsover except to my stats.
  • Options
    Thanks Rosey, don't concern myself with stats like that, so as long as resting is just as good as spinning I'll keep that up!
  • Options
    Joins half read conversation. Spinning downhill flushes the lactic acid out apparently?
  • Options
    There you go, knew I did it for a reason but couldn't think of anything last night.

I think therein lies a very small issue too, just because someone is good at something doesn't make them right. In the past we gave got into debates when training has been questioned and some elements are individual. I can't tell you what to eat but I can tell you what I eat and why.

A lot of things in our sport are backed up by science but in the past I have done them because I feel comfortable doing it, then its proved by a doctor, wahey, but if it's not and it still works for me then why stop.

On the flip side, I do things because others do it but then read something that changes my mind, one I can remember is taking a gel before the swim in an IM, why ? Because I thought I needed it, why not now, because science says I don't need to and by doing so I start creating insulin earlier etc which prevents metabolic efficiency etc, how did I come to this conclusion ? I read chrissies blog on nutrition, it sparked thoughts and I investigated, I didn't just take her word for it.

Question things and do what's right for you unless you are going to adversely affect your outcome.
  • Options

i would say the above is great advise not just for triathlon but for most things in life really..

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

good one, thats a good point about the gel, I've taken one before the start of races before, I've seen others drink a sports drink before the off too. I wonder if thats different.

I guess that spinning the legs keeps them moving at a low intensity so it might aid recovery quicker than total rest would. Kind of like some folks liking rest days before a race and others doing very light sessions, maybe rest isnt the right thing some times.

But I also think that if some folks believe they will race better cos they had a gel before the off/ate their favourite pre race breakfast/wear their lucky pants/cos the moon is in the right phase...............then they probably will, its all in the "believe"

• Options

Interesting comments, I also take a gel before races, don't know why, I just always have.  Might be worth spending the winter looking into all the arguments for these practices.

Completeley agree Mr Zuvai!

• Options
    I'm the opposite. Good breakfast before any race, then it's just water between then and the start. Never pre start gel or sports drinks.

As to downhill, generally, I'll keep my legs turning over, not so much to add speed, as mostly there is little or no resistance, but just to keep my legs moving, so they don't forget what they are supposed to do once the hill ends. However, if it's a slightly more technical descent, then they are locked, and my knees clamp the cross bar, just for a bit more security.
  • Options
    There's a book called The Expert's guide to the triathlon by a chap called Lehenhaff, Didier  which picks up on this diversity of approaches theme.  IIRC Paula Newby Frasers pre-record beating Kona time meal was a couple of beers and half a pizza.
  • Options

Guys

Due to unforeseen circumstances I probably won't be posting on here for quite a while now whilst I sort some stuff out. Wanted to say a big thank you for all the advice over the past few months and it was a pleasure to meet many of you in Wales, congratulations once again to everyone!

I may be at Outlaw, though I'm not sure in what sense as of yet.

Bye guys

Shaun

• Options
    Cheers Shaun - take care - hope to see you at Outlaw
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Shaun, I hope nothing too serious.  Good luck finding a new pad and hopefully see you at HPP and definitiely back on here before too long.
  • Options
    take care Shaun - hope all is OK
  • Options
    Bye Shaun, hope to see you back here image
  • Options
    Good luck, Shaun, I hope circumstances work out OK.
  • Options
    Cheer Shaun, deal with any issues, then come back stronger
  • Options
    Best of luck Shaun, I've enjoyed your posts on the IM training threat.

Superb race reports everyone. I loved them! It sounded very hard though!
  • Options
    Cheers Shaun take care come back soon
  • Options
    Good luck Shaun

be kind to yourself
  • Options

Shaun, hope it all goes well for you.

• Options

In order to placate the 'teacher stares' coming over the aether here's my race report.

Pre-cursor stuff: In retrospect this has been the first year that I've strung together a decent block of training.  By decent I mean consistent, where previous years have had 'missing'/CBA/ill weeks I have been running and turbo-ing fairly consistently since the start of the year.  The RWUK vs US Jan challenge was a good way to kick start the year and having both London and Brighton marathons also focused the mind.  I've also managed to shift some of the middle aged spread so was starting with most things in my favour.

Friday: arrived at Stalag Kiln Park and was directed to the overflow camping pool/field.  Got tent put up in the dry and scooted off to register.  Met piratey neighbours and ended up (having got past security) in the Mash and Barrel (the resort pub).  Consumed large quantities of philosophical juice while discussing the nature of motivation/training with Shufflebunny, OC and the Zuvai's.  I had thought we had persuaded Mr Zuvai's girlfriend to take part in the Outlaw next year and am happy to see that confirmed elsethread.  Somewhat non-plussed to find that the toilets were locked out of hours, but was let in to the secret by a couple of underage smokers looking for a quiet corner to roll a few fags in (as far as I am aware this is not a euphamism).  As beer and camping are not the best of companions I also got to see that the vehicle crawling about the site at 3 in the morning was a Kiln Park security truck (complete with sidewards facing searchlights).

Awoke on Saturday morning to the gentle sound of raindrops.  Removed earplugs and realised perhaps gentle was not the word for it.  Spent a quiet hour or two trying to put things into various transition bags whilst also dodging the showers.  There's something about filling the bags which brings the whole event into sharp focus.  "Hey, I'm really going to do this".  Having finished packing I then realised it would have made more sense to have left helmet and cycle shoes out so I could have cycled to transition.  D'oh.  Arrive at transition to see signs everywhere saying the swim has been switched to the north beach.  Leave bike on racking swaying dangerously.  Nice official checking me in confirms I'll need another pair of shoes for the run from the beach to T1.  After drawing several blanks I find a pair of surf shoes for the princely sum of £5.99.  There's nice.

A relatively early night on Saturday and I actually managed a few hours of what might be considered sleep (in between the fretting).
  • Options

Sunday dawns (well it doesn’t really as we’re up before it) rather blustery.  Get to transition in good time, front derailleur is making funny noises and I conclude that the bike must have been blown over at some point yesterday (I noticed after the event that one of my bar end plugs was missing).  Click into small gear and bike sounds healthy again.

Got down to North beach in good time, was slightly surprised to be filmed on the way down (presumably background footage).  Maybe my fifteen minutes starts now?  Join the queue of wetsuit clad people standing around at the waterfront.  I’d wanted to get here early to get into the water early, but can’t see how/where.  Eventually a few hardy souls swim out from the right hand side of the beach and I can see how to join them.  This was the one bit I was seriously worried about.  My only previous DNF in any triathlon was following a seriously cold swim (Marshman) where I ended up hyperventilating/asthmatic following the swim.  Accordingly I’m wearing a neoprene hat and earplugs.  Into the water, face slowly immersed and gently blowing bubbles into the water.  All is calm.  I swim forward a couple of strokes and clatter into someone swimming into shore.  D’oh.  There’s a bit of a swell running, and where the waves start to break on the shore the water is cappuccino coloured due to the amount of sand being pulled up from the beach.  As I’m swimming through the shallows a figure (striding) to the left of me says ‘you’re swimming backwards mate’ before the next wave dumps me on my arse several yards further up the beach.

I join the happy throng in the start pen area.  I try to put my HRM onto standby but the sand in the waves has jammed the ‘go’ button.  Cue desperate dash to the shoreline to try to  rinse the thing out. 

Happily all is restored to good order for the start.  Having been swept nearly back to shore by the first breaker I decide that heading straight out and then turning left might be a good idea.  From looking about it appears there are lots of people thinking different things as to best strategy (including the ‘lets run to the first buoy’ crowd), so it’s a remarkably calm swim to the first buoy.  That said, anyone breaststroking  round a buoy is off my Christmas card list.  It’s all a bit 3D rocking and rolling out on the far reach, but you’d pay good money for that at Alton Towers.  Not too keen on the pinch point between the trawler and the buoy at the mid point, but I only swam into a couple of people so not too bad.  Coming back to shore I may have even swum in a straight line due to the amount of sighting needed.  I think the clock said about 38:00 when I got out which was way faster than I’d imagined (the results have me as 34:00 dead).  I don’t think I was overtaken by the leaders (which was one of my goals) but with the sea conditions I could have been overtaken by a brass band playing troupe of hippopotamuses and not noticed.  Lap two, more of the same, but even less biff.  Out in 1:11 which is an 9 min PB (but leaves me thinking it was probably a bit short).

Lovely run up through the town into T1.  Met by Petal who checks all is OK.  Find a place to change and only think something’s a bit wrong when I find I’ve still got sandy hands when applying the Assos creme.  See FB briefly in the changing tent.  Opt for both arm warmers and gillet as we are promised ‘a bit of everything’ weather wise on the bike ride.
  • Options

Away on the bike, having ridden this before I know it will be rewarded by a constant effort.  Some downhills have some scary bends, but for those that don’t, anything you can gain going down you’ll save on the way back up again.  It would appear I’m in a minority in this view (Bassy- golden opportunity for your downhill coaching here).  Another set of people crossed off the Christmas card list (those that pedal for half a dozen revolutions and stop and those that coast downhill).  The route out to Angle is busy, but I don’t see any chain gangs.  The crowds on the first loop are very welcome.

As we came down into the Freshwater Bay the woman on the bike in front of me shrieked as the wind hit, which meant I had one less thing to do as I grabbed the brakes.

The second (North/South) lap of the bike gets progressively hillier.  No worries, I’ve ridden this, locals are out in force.  Big boost when going past the Pirate support station at Wiseman’s bridge.  Strangely I find the final climb out of New Hedges the worst, if only because I’m giving it full beans before the climb to try to maintain some momentum. 

I can’t remember what time I was back through Tenby, but the second (short) lap was much the same, except it was harder.  Enough already with the wind.  The final drag up into Tenby, which I’d done easily as a recce was a real struggle.  I’m thinking maybe I’ve left a bit too much out on the bike course.

Into transition, I can’t find my run bag (I think the racking might have been re-arranged since check-in, but I’m not exactly working on all cylinders at this point).  One of the helpers hands me my bag and as if by magic Petal turns up (again) to check I’m OK.  Thanks.  Apply sun screen (too late) and remove gillet (not required during gloriously sunny bike).  Off we go, or maybe not.  I’m feeling really rather rubbish.  Stop to walk inside the first mile and a Celtic Tri lady suggests walking the ups and running the flats.  I get my breath back and start running for a bit, feel awful and revert to walking.  Celtic tri lady goes past me.  Revert to strategy she gave me.  Heart rate is way low.  I pass FB who’s cramping and work out that is the first time I’ve ever managed to do that in a tri.  I’m chicked big time as Kirstin Moeller breezes past on her last lap. I’m still trying to acknowledge other pirates. Joddly and Rosey both have their game faces on, CRAB likewise.  Second lap is worse, I am a deeply unhappy Ferret.  Short of breath, wheezing and not going very quickly at all.  Had I seen Bassy on the second loop I would have mugged him for his Ventolin.  I didn't, so I had to make do with trying to remember whether sea air was supposed to be good for the lungs or not.  Stopped for a long overdue pitstop and was overjoyed to see that there was still loo roll left.

• Options

The weather was starting to go off a bit, the showers had probably washed off the sunscreen, but still warm enough that walking was not cooling me down too much.  Onto lap three, I’m coughing, but this seems to clear my chest and I’m feeling less awful.  From here on in it’s grind it out time.  I’m amazed and stupified by the support going through Tenby, if I respond to the ‘Pirate’ shouts with an ‘aaargh’ I get cheers back.  Utterly marvellous.  The pirate support massive seem to be constantly shifting around, all shouts gratefully received.

Final lap and I’m trying to thank all of the marshalls, feed station staff, very happy to get my final white band (but a little unsure why they needed to hand that one out), showboating and high fiving into the finish chute for a 13:36:07 which is about 40 seconds off my PB for the IMCH course.

Get into the finish area and spend way too long trying to funnel a plastic bag of Rego powder into a bottle of water and end up with most of the powder over my shorts (trust me, you needed to be there to appreciate the reduction in ‘processing power’).  First sports massage, big tick but definitely file under therapeutic rather than pleasurable.  Collected bags and stuff and made it  back to the finish chute just in time to be nearly blown over and to have missed Hope’s finish.  Can’t see anyone I know bar Rosey, but he’s on  the other side of the grandstands so I opt for the ‘lets get this stuff back to camp’ option.  By the time I’m stowed and showered it’s too late to get back up.  Sorry for those I missed.

Monday involves lots of beers and post-mortems, thanks to Rosey for the debrief.   I end up missing the (official) post event party as I was inspecting the inside of my eyeballs but I need to get through two sets of security to get to the bar at the campsite.  Goodness only knows what they were expecting.

In retrospect, maybe a little too hard on the bike, but also possibly under fed and definitely dehydrated which meant that the run was to be endured rather than enjoyed.  Next time, better planning needed for the bike nutrition and some sort of plan for the run is needed.  See y’all at the Outlaw if not before.