Options

Training For The 'Right' Distance

123457»

Comments

• Options

Yes, the snow and ice has melted here too now. So am hoping to get out tomorrow after a week and half. But have more family arriving and am wondering how anti-social I can be and just leave!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

• Options

Well I have just been out for a run and clocked my fastest ever 5k!

What is very ironic is that 3hours ago I was eating a full turkey dinner, I have a headache that is bordering on migrane and was feeling nauseous before I left!

Still feeling nauseous, don't quite know how I managed it except I was probably running on stress, and the thrill of finally getting outside. I know it is stupid to run so soon after a meal but I'm really pleased I did it! image

• Options
    Well done Chillibean.  On top of turkey as well - perhaps you've found a new performance food! image Well my marathon training is now well and truly in full swing so I'll be sticking to the schedule for the next 15 weeks so I'll be dropping out of this thread more, but will pop in now and again.  Good luck.
  • Options

Well I really didn't manage much last week...only 9.5 miles ! I went out last Thursday but felt a real lack of energy and it just seemed really hard work.. ended up cutting the run short and heading home.

After a 4 day break with no running I went out on Tuesday and did my best ever time for a 5.5 mile training run in 55:32 and it felt good all the way round. I wonder if I have been trying to do too much too soon....

Anyway, off out again this evening. I won't get home from work until about 10pm tomorrow so no runninguntil Saturday when I am hoping to do a cross country with my daughter which will hopefully bring my total to about 20 miles for the week.

If all goes well I may even get out for a short run Sunday....

• Options
    Well done on the 5k time Chillibean

Good luck with the marathon training Soup Dragon, which race are you doing?

Only managed 4 miles last week as I was ill, feeling a lot better but these winter bugs seem to linger for weeks. I did a 5 mile run today in 43:06, I ran with a friend which I've never done before.
  • Options
    What a fantastic thread - thank you for all the info, it has certainly made me change my views on training and distance!

One thing that I would like to know though is what is actually meant by all these please (steady state, tempo ?):

"2m easy || 1m steady state || 3m @ MP || 2m @ HMP || 1m @ tempo || 0.5m @ 10k || 0.5m slow."
  • Options

Steady is somewhere between MP and easy. I use MP+25% for easy.

These are my paces: MP 8:14 ; Steady 9:00; Easy 10-10:30

Tempo is the pace which you could maintain for one hour, collapsing at the end of it. For good runners its around 10M pace. For me it's just over 10k pace.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-training-pace-calculator/1676.html

Type in your race time (or target time in your case, and it should give you your tempo pace.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

This one will give you projected times for all distances which you can use to work out MP, HMP, 10k etc.

My advice if you've got a spare few hours (or days) is read through "The Middle Ground" thread, which you've already found. There's a lot of good stuff on there about pace, and a fair few good runners (much better than me!) who will happily answer your questions.

• Options
    CCC I now use www.mcmillanrunning.com to work out my training paces. It's straight forward you just put in your fastest race time and it will work out all those paces for you. Im still a novice so stick to easy, tempo, hill reps and long runs at the moment.