Options

Tadworth 10

I did this for the first time last year, and not only was it a great (tough) run, I think it set me up for a really fun year of running, which so far has included 3 half marathons (Hastings, MidSummer Munro and Badger), the Denbies 10M, and the odd 10K thrown in to boot.

As a result, I'm going back for more, despite the fact that this year it's two days earlier and will be even harder to avoid being hungover for......

Who's with me?

Comments

• Options

Oooooh tempting! I did it about five years ago (met the lovely Mr Potting Shed  that day!) but I am rather hoping that on January 2nd I will be visiting Lovely Daughter in New Zealand image

Come to the pub sometime, Mr Oldie - we miss fondling your golden ears!!

• Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

It is a good event but watch your ankles - ground is either icy hard or very very soft.

I would like to do it again - would be my 3rd time there.

• Options

ST - you'll be in sunny New Zealand while I'm freezing my extremities off running up Ebbisham Lane! Thanks for that!

Mr K - Last year was very icy, so I'm hoping this year will be better - I wouldn't mind very very soft, as I'd just wear my Roclites.

I ran part of the course yesterday, and it was lovely....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/37826/Gallery/Saturday_9th_Oct.jpg

• Options
    It's the best way to start the new year running regime (and gives some incentive to get out training in December rather than just eating and drinking!),  I'll be there again,  just hoping the temperature is a couple of degrees warmer than the last couple of yearsimage
  • Options

Tis a lovely race but I lost the household lottery so will be working at this event and running the Knacker Cracker the day before. image

Hopefully will see some of you there. image

• Options

I best start training I think - twice up Ebbisham Lane is a killer - love this race - done it several times

See you all there image

• Options

I really wanted to do the Knacker Cracker this year, but am not mad enough to do the Knacker Cracker on New Year's Day, followed by this the day after......

However, I may be using Box Hill as part of my training.... but will be avoiding all the steps.

GO

• Options

I'm mighty tempted with this again.  Done it the last 2 years and loved it.  Yes its tough and there were times that I said "never again" but at the end I've felt great.  But as before, because I'm a wimp, I will see what the weather is like and enter on the day.  I don't mind cold, and even the ice wasn't tooooo bad last year but I really don't fancy rain.  As I said, I'm a wimp. image

• Options
    Happychap wrote (see)

Tis a lovely race but I lost the household lottery so will be working at this event and running the Knacker Cracker the day before. image

Hopefully will see some of you there. image

Have you checked to see if that doubled headed coin was being used again?image
  • Options
    Love this one! I'd go so far as to say it might even be my favourite...
  • Options

Wouldn't put it past him Jaffa image

But strangely prefer the hills of the Box to twice up Ebbisham.  Greeny is right, it's a killer.

• Options

Does anyone recognise the profile............?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/37826/Gallery/My_Activities_Home_16-10-2010__Elevation_-_Time.png

This is Chalk Lane, then Ebbisham Lane, into Walton on the Hill, down to the racecourse, up round the back, and down into Epsom.....

• Options
    Golden Oldie, just to rub it in - booked our flights to NZ today image
  • Options
    I ran this event in 2007 but have slacked with my running a bit since then would i have time to train if i start nowish?
  • Options

Muddyshoes - there's plenty of time - and besides, it's only ten miles , and half of that is downhill image

GreenEyes - last I heard of you on the messageboard was before the Spitfire 20 - you were going on to do the Greensand Marathon, (I did Abingdon Marathon last week, and some others did Amsterdam) - how did it go?

• Options

muddyshoes - I think there's plenty of time to get fit for this - and it's a great incentive to not let Christmas and New Year get too wild.........

I really like this route, and am lucky that I get to run around it, and variations of it, most weeks... Having said that, today I did my long run on the other side of Epsom, and it was lovely and flat.image

GO

• Options
    Thanks guys, i stll keep fairly fit at the gym, but this course is a whole different story! looking for a challenge and hopefully the opportunity to loose a bit of weight this might be just the ticket. Thanks for your advice
  • Options
    chillies for breakfast wrote (see)

GreenEyes - last I heard of you on the messageboard was before the Spitfire 20 - you were going on to do the Greensand Marathon, (I did Abingdon Marathon last week, and some others did Amsterdam) - how did it go?

Hey chillies - don't think that was me - I've not heard of the Greensand marathon - where is it ?  Been injured for quite a bit of the year and had to pull out of London this year but hopefully will be doing it this year.  I'll hopefully get round to the Spitfire next year as well - how did you get on at Abingdon?

• Options
    Awww, greeny.  The Greensand would be right up your street image
  • Options
    How come I've never heard of that one then - and I even know the words to Jerusalem an all image
  • Options
    Greeny - sorry about the mistaken ID - And Abingdon went OK - 3 hrs 44, a minute better than last year and a PB (the only 2 maras I've run)
  • Options

Hey chillies - not to worry - people mistake me all the time - I've been seen in places I've never even been to  image

Well done on your pb at Abingdon - great time - see you at Tadworth no doubt image

• Options
    Hi Everyone.   Just an update on Tadworth Ten.   The snow on Epsom Downs is clearing very nicely now that a bit of a thaw has set in, although some of the pathways are still a bit hairy.   Our race Director has been out this morning (Saturday)  11th Dec. and cleared a lot of mud snow from the bottom of Ebbisham Lane.   The entries are coming in very well, so it looks as though we will have a good race. (Keep them coming).   Will keep you updated during the next  couple of weeks or soimageimage
  • Options
    Just entered - now better do some training image
  • Options

Yay - Before the recent snow I had been doing most of my long runs around the Downs, including Ebbisham Lane, and am really looking forward to this race...........

I currently have a horrid virus and throaty cough, so haven't been for a run for a week , but I reckon I've enough miles in my legs to have another week off (if needs be) and still be able to have a shot of hitting my 90 min target.....

GO

• Options

Fabbo devotion to duty that GOS, your race director clearing snow on the course a full 3 weeks before the event.

I know of no other event where that is done. As he's in such a charitable mood, could I request also say a hundred open air gas heaters placed in and around the start area near Tattenham Corner so we are nicely warm when milling around awaiting the 'off'.

It's always so darned cold at that time of day and year!

• Options

Great idea Snoop!

GOS,  if the race director is feeling super accomodating, can he also please smooth out the climb up the back of the racecourse (from the switch-back to Tattenham Corner) - I find this tougher than Ebbisham Lane, and I sure it would be possible (with a bit of elbow grease and a few thousand tonnes of topsoil) to flatten this out..........

Many thanks

GO

• Options
    GoldenOldie wrote (see)

Great idea Snoop!

GOS,  if the race director is feeling super accomodating, can he also please smooth out the climb up the back of the racecourse (from the switch-back to Tattenham Corner) - I find this tougher than Ebbisham Lane, and I sure it would be possible (with a bit of elbow grease and a few thousand tonnes of topsoil) to flatten this out..........

Many thanks

GO

+1  

GO - I can normally manage to slowly plod most of the way up Ebbisham but that climb by the racecourse finishes me off every time on each lap.  Heaters at the start - oh yes please! 

• Options
    Oh dear,  I had put that last climb on the dirt (I guess it's designed for horses to exercise on) out of my memory completely - for some reason it drained the life out of my legs last year on both laps - the year before it was frozen solid but was still a killer. I think it's the surprise element, as you come out of a bit of woodland and think you're at the top??
  • Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭
    This is one of those races I love to hate!!!  So I shall see you all there image