Options

Tadworth 10

Comments

• Options
    For those of you wondering about Knacker Cracker or Tadworth 10, why not do the Box Hill Fell Race 3 weeks later instead. It's only a fiver but you have to be quick to get an entry. Only a drawback for people who just hace to do a tough hill run on New year's Day itself - and I can empathise with those that do feel that way.
  • Options

Hey, I like the Taddy 10, and have been running it for nearly 10 years now.

Please start you own thread if you want to promote your own race.

It's not good form to go onto another race's thread and try and hijack their runners.

• Options
    Oops Snoop sorry - thought I was being helpful giving people an alternative to the Knacker Cracker if people really like a good run up Box Hill, and also want to do the the Tad 10. No need to promote the Fell race it fills up every year well before the day.
  • Options

Ah, ok then. The use of the word 'instead' suggested you might have been trying to lure people away from Taddy, and we wouldn't have wanted that.

They have enough problems in those parts nowadays what with the Downs Conservators refusing permission for other well established local club races on the Downs due to the disruption caused by their several hundred runners, yet finding the 4,000 Tesco 'Race for Life' runners in June are not considered disruptive. How does that work?   

• Options

Yep Snoop I couldn't agree more. Actually I am the Marshal organiser for the TAD 10 so certainly wouldn't be tempting people away from our race. The situation with the Downs is very worrying - you may have noticed the Surrey X-C Div 2 match had to be moved as well as the Perch. It is difficult to see what damage a bunch of 65 kg runners can do to downland grass which is pretty tough.

Race for Life? - yep couldn't agree more. 4000 people and most of them not 65kg image

• Options

Hurrah - my race number and chip arrived today, and oddly I'm number 10....... !

am getting excited now...

GO

• Options

Numbers have arrived in Chez Happychap too image

I'm still quietly seething about the Perch image

Bloody conservators are a nightmare, the situation is only going to get worse.

• Options
    I'm not local to Epsom (though my wife is from Leatherhead and went to school in Epsom), so I don't know too much about it, but surely racers can't do one hundredth of the damage that happens at the Derby meet? and am I wrong in thinking that anyone can exercise a horse on the Downs there?
  • Options
    ..oh, and I haven't got my number yet - maybe tomorrow
  • Options

... re The Downs. It is a popular myth that they are public or common land, but they aren't. So the Council do have the right to determine what events can/can't happen there. Of course there are public rights of way (which I believe are used by Tad 10 - not by design) and casual usage by riders, runners, cyclists, walkers etc is not controlled except for restricting access to the gallops.

Pleased the Chips are turning up. Do we think it is worth paying a bit extra for chip timing?

• Options
    Yup, not public land and understandable if they wish to withdraw permissions.  It's the nonsensical way they allocate them that causes the quietly seething.
  • Options
    Oh, and a 2nd vote for chips image
  • Options

I'm hoping to get out on the course tomorrow and see what it's like in the snow - I was meant to be running a 10k, but tis cancelled, so hopefully I get to do a long slow run over the Downs....

3rd vote for chips - especially with gravy or curry sauceimage

GO

• Options

Oh yes, Curry and Chips from Mucky Mary's*

*Mucky from the newspaper she used to wrap the plastic cartons in of course image

• Options
    Fingers x'ed this goes ahead on the due date as I can't make the alternative of the 9th Jan.
  • Options
    Just had a look at the weather forecast and there's nothing too scary on there so I think we should be ok SD. image
  • Options
    Can't wait - Grim was postponed and I feel like I haven't raced for months (actually it was the Salomon Turbo X at Bordon, so only actually 4 weeks ago)
  • Options
    Crossing fingers too for this.  Forecast looking okay.  Fingers crossed too that I can enter on the day as usual. image
  • Options
    EOD should be OK again this year SD
  • Options
    Thanks Spotted One.  Call me a wimp but I like to know the weather is fine for this one.  I don't mind cold but plodding up Ebersham or whatever its called in the pouring rain doesn't sound like fun.
  • Options

start praying for a thaw folks........

I have done a 4 mile run today around the back of the racecourse, and it is still very snowy, icy and slippy - I was wearing Roclites, and was slipping about quite a bit on the compressed snow / ice.

I didn't try running up Ebbisham Lane, but I suspect it would have been dangerously slippy, so we better hope for a decent thaw, or else this is going to be rescheduled........

GO

• Options

Thanks GO, GOod feedback. We are prepared for a reschedule but assuming those billion pound computers at the Met Office have some clue, then it is all looking good for 2nd Jan. We've hoarded some rock salt from last year if there's still some residual ice to treat (not the whole of Ebbisham Lane tho' image

• Options
    Hope it will thaw - I went arse over tit in swinley forest yesterday on compacted ice, somehow landing on two knees, one elbow and one hip - there were a few dog walkers about so I had to bounce back up and pretend I'd done it on purpose image
  • Options
    GO, I came down Ebbisham Lane on Xmas Eve, and although running on your own you could find a reasonable line, no way could anyone send a race up it. Not without spikes, anyway. The forecast is for warmer weather this week, but I suspect there might be some residual icy patches. Should be OK if we're careful, I'd be more worried about the downhill bits.
  • Options

I agree with you Cheerful.....  the worst part of my run yesterday was the steep downhill right at the back of the racecourse heading towards the farm at the bottom of Langley Vale. I found running uphill safer as I tend to be more on the front of my feet, and taking smaller steps.

I really hope we do get some warmer weather this week  so that this race can go ahead as planned (and so I don't freeze my extremities off on New Years Day when I'm going to be a marshall at the Knacker Cracker!)

GO 

• Options
    I went up that hill GO. Anywhere near the actual track was like glass, I'm amazed you got down in one piece.
  • Options
    I went out on the course yesterday and the roads were like ice rinks. We ended up having to walk for about a mile or so, I even fell over and bruised my arm, and that was walking.

Hopefully there will be this thaw that they are talking about and it can go ahead. If not then I just unfortunately won't run it, way too dangerous. But hopefully......
  • Options
    I haven't been out on the course but I live about 1200m from the finish. Pavements round here are melting and the snow is fast disappearing from the grass. Let's hope the ice isn't too persistent despite the higher temperatures. Sorry to hear about you arm LG2 - did you fall on Downsway?
  • Options
    Can't remember the name of the road, it is near the start up the hill to the road which goes onto Ebbisham Lane. Then Ebbisham Lane was the ice rink. Awful round there. THough checked forecasts and temperatures are due to be around 8/9 degrees - tropical, so may be ok by Sunday.

Do so want to do this race as I love local races like this, belonging to a local running club it is always nice to see people you know out running and my parents live just off the Downs too, and I live the other side. So you can't get more local!

The arm is ok now - very bruised though. Can't wait for the ice to go and I don't have to spend my entire time looking at where I am putting my feet!!!!