Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    My first marathon was shit and made me never want to do another one. Took 8 years for me to get over it.

I have 1 run to do between now and Saturday

See you all on the start
  • Options
    And on that note... It's good night from me.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    and it's goodnight from him
  • Options

Stuart  do not even consider asking for that ever so precious number  108.

Way back in 2003 i think when the National Trust used to be the organisers they made a huge error of issuing   M        Y    P R       OP    ER     TY   to some chap in West Yorkshire.

I had to wait an agonising two days before they could contact him to explain their awful mistake.

For me to attend what has to be one of the finest marathons in the Uk without that ever so special number the only number i have ever worn in the 17years of taking part would be a fate worse than death.

In previous years when i had a terrible cold that would have ensured most competitors would have stayed indoors i was running up and down the roads of Eryri.

Iorwerth has run 28  and come Saturday i will have run 17 consecutive Snowdons so to even jest about wearing my propert is pretty sick  and with luck if i can find you on Saturday i will cut your shoelaces in two places.  

• Options

Well loving all the banter, strangely calm here as well not sure what that is all about.image

Drove past that big old hill called Snowdon today could have sworn I heard it say...."Come on I dare you come and run around me if you have the strength, the courage, the desire"............well do we!!!! Dam right we do see Saturday you old giant!!!image

• Options
    Gobi, it didn't take eight years but disasters at FLM '08 and Edinburgh '09 I vowed after each never to run another marathon, however nine last year and should I get round on Saturday it will be #15 this year.  I've gone from hating marathons to loving running a marathon.  Funny old world!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    TR 39 and all- Always good to travel and keep a sense of perspectiveimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Get over yourself PJL it is a race and somebody was trying to have a bit of fun. I'd like to see you even think about cutting my laces if I had number 108, would be really sad for you not to finish no. 18
    I'll be easy to find on Saturday if you want to come and give me some verbal abuse.

You must be a really nice chap, nothing like attempting to ruin the banter in a thread.
  • Options

I think its going to be a very close call at the front end of the ladies race this year ..... recently came in third behind some one i feel sure is going to be featuring very close to the front runners.  Should be making for a great race.image

Bad, stressful day at work today is seeing me retiring for the night and hoping I dont have another one like that this week ....   image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    FR we seem to be going opposite ways as this is only my 2nd marathon since April and I think 4th this year. Little matter of a 50km and a 100km but having a quiet year and I think next year will be quieter still.
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I'm sitting here feeling a calm euphoric feeling flooding over me.

Of course that could be the Guiness's I consumed to get me tthrough the committee meeting at the club tonight   image

Roll on Saturday, all will be well.

I am the master of my own destiny. My legs are not my boss.

(That sounds like a mantra I might be saying about 23 miles in....)

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I'm sitting here feeling a calm euphoric feeling flooding over me.

Of course that could be the Guiness's I consumed to get me through the committee meeting at the club tonight   image

Roll on Saturday, all will be well.

I am the master of my own destiny. My legs are not my boss.

(That sounds like a mantra I might be saying about 23 miles in....)

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    image I really need to fiogure out what is going on with my posts....
  • Options

Go Gobi!! image

Niki Hope you have a better day tomorrow, I had a stress full one to Stats and Outcomes for 4 projects and getting ready for an audit started at 8am Rhyl up to Colwyn Bay, Bangor then Back just finished nowimage

Night all

• Options
    Cheers JB: no pressure then!!

Now back to the task in hand for this week: to make good some of that sleep deficit thanks to cranky kids the last few days.

Night night.
  • Options
    Getting close now image Good luck peeps and have loads of fun! Can't wait!
  • Options
    Gobi, this should be (road) marathon #10 the other five were the Fling (53 miles) two (Winter Poppyline and Lakeland 50) (50 miles) Northampton to Tring (46-47 miles) and the Dartmoor Discovery (32-ish miles).   Next year will be quieter on the marathon front as like to get quicker over short distance.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one FR

Chimney - so calm you said it twice

Today I am off to body balance to find my inner focus in a calm wave of positions my body doesn't want to go into :¬)
  • Options
    Hope its not raining like it is now on Saturday.....something of a deluge going on and the track to my house it resembling a raging river.  Was going to go out for a slow recovery run but don't think I would dry out for days so  I am going to give it a miss and stay home insteadimage  Just need to stay out of the kitchen to stop the extra pounds creeping on like they seem to be doing faster than the rain is coming down......oh the joys of taperingimageimageimage
  • Options

Bore da pawb/good morning all. I'd say ideal marathon running in Snowdonia this morning. I would echo what nq says re the rain - the last downhill has been pretty treachorous the last 4 years and, as a result, would have been a lot slower than if it were dry!! Also I have felt sorry for the marshalls and spectators stood by the side of the road during the last 4 years races - the only positve I'd say for them is that it would have been a good test re how waterproof/windproof and warm their clothing was!!

Lovng this taper and looking forward to this one (for many reasons) more so than for any of my previous 4 others!

Hoping that the timing company will be usng the "chip built into the running number" that they used for the Llandudno 10 - being dyspraxic I can barely tie my shoelaces let alone fasten a timing chip!!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NQ2 - we have some pretty bad rain here as well. I shall be ordering a coffee for halfway round or a bowl of soup.
  • Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Glad to see that taper madness has well and truly set in on here image

As JB says perfect weather this morning unfortuately the latest mountain forcast is promising outbreaks of rain and a freshening wind for Sat. So i's basically expect something along last years lines really.

I announced at the committee meeting last night taht i could only help with registration and not time keeping at our next fell race (13th Nov if anyones interested) as i was going to run it image - why haven't i learnt yet to keep my big mouth shut !!!!!!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I have a new tactic, I'm going to run really fast so I can get back and have a coffee indoors :¬)
  • Options

We should all move to Llandudno where the rainfall is on par with areas of the South East including London.

Ive been talking to a friend in Priory St Carmarthen and the H2O has been falling like cat's and dogs yesterday.

Even surprise surprise Eglwysbach was bone dry with the view of the Carneddau looking stunning for most of the day.

I cannot say what the weather was like in Capel Curig or further up the road at Pen Y Pass but it has been bone dry here in Llandudno since last Saturday so why they are having the wet stuff in bucket loads further south is a omplete mystery. 

• Options
    Hi all, hope all is good.it's ....raining in waunfawr this evening! Does fish and chips in pwllheli count as carb loading???
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Brer- yes it does- but also counts as  fat loadingimage

I can confirm that it is raining in Carmarthenshire again today. Don't know for certain, but thinks it has affected most of the streets in the county. Certainly affected my 5m slow jogimage

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Br - I hope so as it is fish Wednesday at the Dark Lords house.

Bored now, can I race tomorrow?