Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Andrea - not at all, the vest is light and thin and the arm sleeves are thin and allow me to pull them down round my wrists. Therefore I can use them at the start when I am cold waiting for the off before pulling them down once warm. If it is cold again this will most likely be on the last climb and descent so I can pull them up again :¬)
  • Options
    Hmm, I've just consulted the latest weather charts and indeed, the wind will be a strong south-westerly, the rain will never be far away and it will be around 12 deg C. The biggest problem I'll have keeping warm will be on the walk up to and waiting for the start. For that I'll need windproof warm gear. Trouble is, as soon as I start running I'll be overheating and forced to walk with steam coming out of my ears. I think I'll have to take a small bumbag to stash the excess clobber in just before I start. Is anyone else planning on running with a bumbag?
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Numbers up (this years!)
    http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/pdfs/SMAR_SL.htm

1756 for me image pretty certain it's not one I've had before image
  • Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Sorry JB appears timing chips are same as last year...
  • Options

Thanks panad - I don't know why they couldn't use the onces that are built into the number, but hey ho! Number 518 for me!

Just back from my last pre race run - a very enjoyable gentle 5 miler with excellent company. Raring to go now!!  

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Nice easy number to remember for me - 1500.

Packing tonight and heading in the morning, aiming to be in Llanberis for lunch.

See you tomorrow/Saturday.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I have a number, cool
  • Options

Will Trocals 1 please get intouch because that offer of getting you around your first ever marathon still stands however rough you feel.

Back in 2003 or was it 2004 i had a shocking cold, it was so bad that i definately considered not going to the greatest marathon on EARTH but i went and finished.

Driving from Llandudno to Llanberis a distance of just over 26miles i must have used  four tissues

I felt really lousy, headache,aching limbs but THIS IS SNOWDON and nothing will keep me away.

Trocal you must be full of worry and anxiety SHOULD I BE DOING THIS RACE FEELING AS ROUGH AS A BADGERS  AR-E.

I know how you feel and even if you arrive in an ambulance on deaths door there will be runners there who will volunteer to get you around.

THIS IS YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT AT THAT MAGIC DISTANCE AND WITH ANOTHER RUNNER OR RUNNERS willing to take care of you with collecting water , squash or energy drink at the water stations and MORE IMPORTANTLY GIVING YOU MORAL ENCOURAGEMENT WHEN YOU NEED IT.

I have no time deadline to stick to this year, we can aim for 4,5, or even six hours but

YOU MUST TURN UP FEELING HOWEVER LOUSY and i will get you to that finish.

Just imagine the severe disappointment of not taking part in the race.

You have dreamed of taking part in a marathon and probably trained well for it and not to turn up because you feel lousy or even on deaths door is throwing in the towel before you even attempt to run.

Put it this way l want to help you finish your first marathon and apart from Iorwerth i know the course better than any other competitor and know where those water stations are along the course.

This goes for all those Marathon virgins this Saturday if you want me to help you finish this marathon i will because crossing the line in Llanberis mainstreet and receiving that ever so precious slate coaster for the very first time is something that cannot be repeated.

FINISHING YOUR FIRST MARATHON IS A LIFE CHANGING EVENT.       

• Options

Peter

If Trocals 1 doesn't take you up on your very kind offer can I ask you to try and get me round in under 3.30?!

Cheers

Richard

• Options

Peter - I thought you ran with/for the North Wales Road Runners?

• Options

BritNick, I'll be leaving my warm-up stuff with my partner at the start.

If there's no baggage van, I'm sure she wouldn't mind taking some of your stuff back to Llanberis as well, if she could then leave it at the baggage collection point.

If you're interested in the offer, PM me and we'll try to sort something out.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Trocals- don't be tempted to run if you're unwell. Marathon running puts enough strain on the system when well. I ran last year with a cold and felt awful after 8m- learnt since that I also risked doing serious damage to myself.... Hope you feel better, but there are always other racesimage

5m jog for me this afternoon. 4m early tomorrow before I leave for Llanberisimage

Excited nowimage Number 401 for meimage 

• Options

Peter,i thank you for your kind offer and its not a decision i have taken lightly,however i have'nt eaten for 2 days and coupled with the fact that i have still had to turn up for work (sleeping in the van for the most!) i have decided not to run.

I wish all of you all the luck in the world and you all have a great runimage

Ill be there next year!!

Good luck!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    trocals- gutted for you, but the right decision. Hope you feel better soon and see you next year (if I'm there, that is!) 
  • Options
    On which note, JD, I have to hold my hand up, yet again at the last minute to say it is extremely unlikely that you guys will see me on Saturday imageimageimage

I thought I was just a bit wiped out by the wedding, but this morning the general tiredness was joined by high temperature, dodgy stomach and sore throat image
    I have a long history of problems with high temperatures (including passing out/going in to convulsions with over heating) so I am really not going to risk anything if I am still unwell tomorrow. Last time I pushed it when in this state, I did in fact run my 10K PB. I then was forced into a week off work (my only absence in ten years!) and don't remember anything for a good three of those days.

Blinking rubbish timing image
  • Options

Cheers Jason, im never ill!! As soon as i heard my son throwing up on monday night i should have gone and stopped with my mom!!

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    ((((Frodo)))) - Oh no!!!imageimageimage Not again! I can't believe that anyone can be unlucky enough to be ill for the same race 2 years in a row! Hope you feel better tomorrow, but if not you're taking the right optionimage
  • Options
    Last year was injury (freakish all the same though - fell while dog walking!).
    I haven't felt like my head was in the right place for this race for a while image and thought it was me just being a bit pathetic/distracted.

If I don't make it this time, hopefully I'll cope better with the disappointment mentally - I think the tantrum/sulk lasted a good six weeks last year image

Time for another dose of Alka Seltzer, a peppermint tea and a snooze...will catch up on the SNOD news later.

• Options

I fully understand and make sure you go online on January 1st 2012 and enter early to avoid disappointment.

Next year is the 30th anniversary  a big event and it 's going to fill up ever so quickly again.

See you there and forget the nerves i will get you around THAT'S A PROMISE but you must keep intouch closer to the big day.

Take care

Peter

• Options

Cheers Peter,enjoy your run which i'm sure you will.

• Options
    trocals - entirely the right decision.  I was very concerned when I saw Peter encouraging you to run no matter what.  Like Jason I learnt my lesson the hard way by running London with a raging sore throat and cough.  I got round but didn't enjoy myself - had it been Snowdon there is no way I would have finished.  Rest well, recover and look for your next goal.
  • Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Frodo -((((((hugs)))))) bad luck but you can come and join me on the "3rd time lucky I WILL get around this mountain in 2012 even if it kills me" thread image 

and i'm pre booking Peter to help get me round as it was very lonely near the back in the thunder and hail last year.

On a brighter note had a great run with club last night - went around a route i use alot and i didn't struggle with the hill and i did it the fastest and easiest i've done it in ages.image

• Options

Hi Guys.  Haven't been around much since having to pull out - major pout going on - and believe me I can pout!! image 

So, so sorry to hear you have also had to pull out again Frodo.  Although I don't know you personally I really feel for you having to pull out two years on the trot.  ((((big hugs))))

And Trocals - sorry to hear you are not well and also looking unlikely to run. 

As has been said you all know your own bodies and whether it is wise to run or not.  Snowdon will still be there for us all next year.  Hopefully the 30th anniversary will see us all fit and well and on the start line. image

Well done Chrissi on your hilly run.  Awesome.  image

Good luck to everyone running Snowdon on Saturday.  I hope everything goes well for you, the weather is kind and you all achieve your goals.  Take care and most of all ENJOY!! imageimage 

• Options

Evening all

Frodo ((((Healing vibes coming your way)))).

Trocals gutted for you mate but like JD said not worth the risk, catch you next year!

Chrissi well done!!!

JB It was great running with you today mate, only time I will get to keep up!!!image

What JB failed to mention his "easy 5 mile" is at a pace faster than my Half marathon pace!!!! Loved it mate it was good to wake up my legs we will have to do it again soon mate!!

1258 meimage

• Options
    #1075 for me, two more sleeps BUT no work tomorrow image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about all the DNFs this evening but by the look of the reasons they are wise. Having made some STUPID mistakes in my life I have learnt the hard way the common sense sometimes IS the best choice.

Recover etc...

See many of you either Friday evening or Saturday after the race.

Gobi
  • Options
    Folks, just wanted to say .. best of luck to you all for the race on Saturday.

I feel like I'm missing out big time not doing the race this year. I shall be thinking of you at about the time that you'll be going up Waunfawr - I can still visualise that first view you get as you make the turn in the village !! At least the forecast sounds promising - not talking about thunder & hailstones on the top this time.

GregC - sorry I won't be there for you to pick off at the finish again. Hope you're doing the race (bit worried that I haven't seen many posts from you)

JB - good to hear that you're in good nick - it's just down to starting off at the right pace now !!!

Hope you all get what you are hoping for from the race (it's not all about PBs, especially for this race)
  • Options
    just been out for a last jog before sat.didn,t feel too good hope i can see my 4hrs slipping away before i start, hope its just taper madness, leaving for llanberis first thing tomorrow , has been good to read all the banter.
    good luck to everyone
  • Options
    Frodo: you poor thing! Fingers crossed that we do see you on Saturday. If not, we'll raise a celebratory glass (just the one?) of something for you & Mr F on Saturday, and look forward to seeing you next year.
  • Options

For those contemplating pulling out of this years race just because you have a cold or some ailment

Shame on You.

I can still remember back in 2004 just how lousy i felt driving to Llanberis asking myself    WHY ?.

Why am i doing this attempting  to run or even jog 26.2miles when my nose is overflowing, all my muscles and limbs ache and i have a headache that made me feel turn around and drive home and off to bed.

The reason behind my decision to go on is that i am not a quitter, if i am able to put one leg infront of the other then i will try my best because why have i wasted four months of training to just give up.

Back in 2002 when i received that phonecall to say the race was cancelled due to the extreme weather i thought foolishly lets see just how bad it was for them to cancell this race.

I can remember 1996 being just as severe but they didnot cancell it then and lo and behold 60 or so other nutters me included ran around 8miles just to say we had made the effort.

You see taking part annually in the Snowdonia Marathon is like a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE for me a pilgrimage that i must undertake to feel fullfilled.

The Moslems have their HAJ to Mecca and my road to Damascas ( or LLanberis to Waunfawr in this case) happens but once a year and without that experience i am not fullfilled mentally or spiritually.

Iorwerth has undergone his baptism of faith 28 INCREDIBLE TIMES, he could have made it 29 but perfection is unobtainable by mere mortals .

I am Iorwerths disciple and to follow in the footsteps of someone so mighty one must follow the road to enlightenment every year.

A cold,semi flu or any other trivial ailment is there to test the sincerity and devotion to ones master.

How can someone never miss an event for a remarkable 29 years without divine intervention.

Maybe JUST maybe there are the chosen few who have been selected in the task to follow the allmighty one.

To do this one must attend their path to Waunfawr every year without fail and yes Satan will be there to tempt them with sniffling colds or even worse but he will not prevail.

Only disciples of the master can attend this race without a number upon his or her clothing.

A number only attracts the attention of those there to tempt pilgrims from their chosen path.

To earn such an accolade one must show they are trully worthy and if they are really devoted to their faith they must not falter for 108 years.

That is why i was issued with this number from the begining, first of all i had no idea i had been chosen  to follow in the footsteps of the master.

Iorwerth is a good friend of mine and his achievement of attending every race since 1982 is remarkable  DIVINE.

To falter now when every type of adversity has been put in my way for the past 17yrs would be disloyal.

I have no option but to drive that lonely road to Llanberis and seek enlightenment.  

Here's to Saturday.