Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good one GM...

Minni - You need to stop making excuses and step up to that there plate thing... image  Perhaps we could knock off your first 1.2X half sometime, maybe the diaries will coincide one day.

Injury: ankle ligament. it happened 10m into the race on Sat when I literally didn't know where I was, due to the field of sweet corn being at least 8ft tall. No point turning back, ran another 25m and didn't realise the problem until the following morning. But in the great scheme of things, a strategic rest may be no bad thing.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Perhaps we could 'knock off' at the racecourse if you're about then? image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Right, apologies in advance for the long post. Finally got 5 so here goes.

Set off early doors so I could get taped up by the fizz, pink & blue was the order of the day for the kinesio tape.Taped up from the waist down to the heel and raring to go, some folk might be dubious about the effect of the tape but mentally it made me feel less vunerable but I foolishly decided to shave my legs the night before the mara in the hope that removal of the said tape would be less painful. Little did I realise that the hair actually bonds with the glue that's why it's so painful in the 1st place, doh! Suffice to say I was in ribbons come mile 9 or should I say the tape was. Felt totally relaxed and ready to go. Weather was perfect about 16c at the start with clear blue skies. Given my disastrous build up and having only banked one 20 miler in training I wasn't expecting to be able to run a 3:15 marathon. In my mind I thought I might be good for a 3:2x mara but was secretly hoping for a 3:20. The differences between London and Jersey mara are too long to begin to describe but the one major plus was being able to cycle one mile to the start and not have to schlep with all the pre-race registration etc. That in itself was one of the reasons why I decided to give it a shot. Set off with my training partner and ran a steady 1st 3 miles at 7:2x pace. My strategy was to get oof to a decent start as mile 3-6 are pretty tough with a gradual ascent of 360ft. I asked my trainig partner what she was aiming for at mil 2.5 and she said 3:15 so I let her go and totally relaxed running up the hllly section. Hills are not my strong point point so figured if I could get to 10k in 47:xx I would be doing well. Bizarrely the hills didn't bother me and I pushed on and reached 10k in 47:33, with the hills done and dusted, for now anyway. Ran with a group of 3 guys who were hoping for sub 3:30 and felt I needed to push on as they seemed to be working fairly hard, whereas I felt really comfortable. Miles 6-10 were along nice country lanes but with not much support. I reached mile 10 in 1:15:03, so still on for sub 3:20 and feeling really easy. At this stage I had dropped the 3 runners and could see a pack of runners ahead who I managed to latch onto and passed at mile 12. Milles 13-16 were pretty dull and was starting to feel a tad less spritely bit still ok. My wife and son were waiting for me at 16 miles and with strict instructions to the OH I grabbed some much needed vaseline as my inside left leg was starting to chaffe badly and I didn't fancy a 10 mile run to the end with that pain as I knew things would start getting tougher. Quick check at the Garmin at mile 16 told me I was running at 3:18 pace. The next two mile section or so was along a trail path and sheltered from the sun but very lonely and I was starting to feel a bit tired now. Miles 18-20 were the hardest so far and for some reason I started to feel a bit nauseous and had bad stomach cramps. I had arranged to meet my wife at mile 20 and by the time I got there I had already decided that I would need to stop and regroup. Feeling dizzy and sick I stopped and afterwards my wife said I looked gone. Anyhow a chap I passed back at mile 12 ran past me and said common and gave me a slap on the back. No idea how long I stopped for, maybe 30 seconds or so but I carried on and luckily it was a two mile downhill section so had to work less. Reached mile 23 in 2:57 and thought right, a tad more than 5k in 31 mins will get me a pb. The last 5k was not pretty and shuffled with negative thoughts creeping into my mind the whole way, one particular was a conversation with my wife saying "If I ever mention I am doing a marathon again please issue divorce papers, no actually just shoot me!. Two runners who were behind me for the last 5k

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

The end of my post has vanished!image

So to try and rewrite from where I left off.

Two runners who were behind me for the last 5k were in a much worse predicament than me as I could here yelps of pain. One was the guy who slapped me earlier and his hamstring went and t'other his calf went a mile 9!! Anyhow, I carried on and stopped at mile 25 to walk up a cupcake of a hill and pushed on a managed a burst of speed at the end to finish an cross the line thinking, thank goodness for that and where can I get a pint!! Need to analyse my performance and know for now that my focus will be on shorter distances and may skip a spring mara and have another crack at the Jersey marathon next year! It's a tough course much harder than London and I now now what it means when someone once told me "you have no idea what horrors await you at mile 20"!

• Options

Excellent report GM, and you are right, there are more than one version of a marathon. Some even have upflats.

I haven't done much this week, but managed 8.5 miles tonight on a nicely hillsome/rolling route. About 7:30m/m, which is outside the marathon pace, but the aim was to test pace/ breathing/ heart rate. OK, the taper might help, and race day is not training day, but the first half of the race should be at a comfortable pace. That gives me a comfort factor for 7:20m/m. I hope. Anyone know what 26.2 times that would be?

• Options

GM - sounds a rather painful experience, but at the end of the day you've got some great learning as well as a PB so it's not all bad.

Minni - I can promise you a smiling face at the start, but not at the end of the Gosport Half unless it all comes together on the day for a sub 1:28. Anyway, it's not quite the other end of the country - there's that sticking out bit in the South West that's alot further.

Here's the nice, understated model that I bought yesterday. Not quite sure why they make XC shoes so bright as I suspect that they'll be covered in mud shortly, but at least they're helping me save on electricity as the moment!

/members/images/226395/Gallery/asics-cross-freak-orange-1-G308N_6751.jpg

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Cheers Blisters and everyone else for their congrats! 7:20mm pace equates to 3:12 for 26.2 Blisters.

Legs feeling not too bad actually and even managed a gane of footie with my nipper last night, quads a bit stiff but everything else feels fine. May go for a jog Wednesday. Next race is and 8k this Sunday, may have to just run that one at a slow pace and not race it. Got my pb 31:30 on that one back in late May but wont be going for that sort of effort. Can't believe I am thinking of running already let alone racing!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Love those XC trainers, they are cool! Was that an online purchase??

• Options

Nice one there GM. Every one is a learning experience.

Gul, next time I am up I will be sure to make a point of doing King's Lynn parkrun but it isn't clear who will be pacing who yet: you are flying and I am sure GE will just be the start.

Front loaded week for me as I have a flat, tarmac parkrun on Saturday. 12.5 today, then another 13 on Wednesday. Tried out a new route and got from Hammersmith to Wimbledon Common going up Putney Park Lane which is a good track I haven't used before, then a lap and back through Richmond Park. Garmin then let me down as I followed a path on one side of an 8 foot high brick wall and should have been on the other side, so a little diversion away from Beverley Brook (http://www.merton.gov.uk/leisure/visiting/attractions/beverleybrookwalk.htm) but nothing too much added.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Great report GM, nice to see you got a pb on a less than perfect build up.

They're a bit loud Lorenzo!

Abbers well done on your HM, can't do any more than giving it your all. I'll echo what others have said and get another HM in the next month or so and you may well dip under 90 mins. A decent HM is great training for another one.

No running or X training for me today cos I'm tapering. I feel fat and unfit already!

Back on it tomorrow.
  • Options

Good effort GM - sounded like a tough day out.

Lorenzo, you can't go getting those shoes muddy

16 run + 5 tempo row today. Training is back on the agenda for me

• Options

Abbers - good report and excellent effort. I'm sure you'll have learnt a lot from the experience and sub 90 is not far away.
    Poacher - sorry to hear about the injury.
    GM - congrats on the PB. Great report and even greater determination in a really tough mental battle.
    Lorenzo - that's some shoe!
    PMJ - OK. I'm sure we'll spur each other on.
    AR - that sounds like some serious training.
    Practising race pace this morning in short bursts. So 7 miles inc. 4 x 800m @ HMP off 2 min recoveries. Looking for somewhere around 3:20 for 800m, and turned out at 3:19, 3:17, 3:19, 3:19.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Nice report, GM.  And a very promising result off limited training.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hi - been away for a while - events of the last couple of years ( split from Mrs B after 34 yrs, injury ruined Boston, work issues, house selling & purchasing) led to a bit of mental meltdown, but thought I'd check back in. Ensconced in my new place a month or so now, with a year of low mileage (albeit with a few 20's dotted around), I managed a 200 mile Sept, with a 23, 20, and 18, so on a whim I entered Mablethorpe, with a one week mini taper - here's a brief resume

I intended setting off at training pace (which at the moment is about 9.5 m/m for off/on road mix), but I actually set off at training "feel", which on the flat tarmac was 7:38 for first mile. This felt OK, but instead of easing off and remembering my aim of "just ticking one off", I just settled in and carried on. 3m in 23:14, 6m 47:07, 10m 80.0, halfway 1:45:00 (so 8mm by halfway, but slowing, as below 8mm for first 6 or so.  Mile 16 tells the tale - 9.04, mile 17 included a walk break, mile 18 - 10.04. 18.64miles on the Garmin when I stopped it.  I think I could maybe have continued with a "run/walk" strategy, but frankly that just isn't me. Maybe I'm just not tough enough any more. A marshall gave me a cup of coffee and a cereal bar, then (the final shame) - drove me back to the finish. Verdict - a perfect example of a foolhardy attempt at the distance without proper training, made worse by stupid pacing.  So a lesson learned. Even after 28 years at this game we still make errors. Had a good day out, though, with fine fish and chips as a consolation prize!   One small milestone was achieved - the 18 miles took me beyond 54,000 miles logged since I began recording.    So, sorry for the "me" post, but I did want to return here, and it surely wouldn't be cricket to return with a report of a super outing ! To conclude, I'll hang around even though I'm too old and beaten-up to go sub 3:15 again. Next aim is to secure GFA for (really) old gits which is sub 3:30 - (i reach the big 6-0 next year). Surely that's still possible? Anyway, call me Mr Altruism, but someone has to be the oldest git and the lantern rouge on here! Although not the most unhinged (Hi Poacher) . . . .   Cheers all  
  • Options

Sounds like youve been through the mill Birch - but welcome back!! 54000 miles is testimony to your running strengths, theres plenty left in there yet!!

GM - great repoprt and well dug out in the end. As others have said there are plenty of positves to be taken from that outing.

Just general ticking over up here and am trying to introduce some speed but the body just wont have it. Some shorter intervals to get them moving maybe?

• Options

Lorenzo - dip, dont dazzle those trainers.image

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

TR - Not quite in the same league as your lads cricket-wise (representative teams were always a little out of reach), but we play an OK standard, about half way up the Hampshire league pyramid. Glorified village cricket would be a fair description. I've run the Downton HM 3 times as it's on the doorstep, and about half of it is part of my usual long run route. As you say, it's definitely not flat round here! Thanks for the feedback and encouragement; looks like the Lordshill 10 miles is next, after consultation with Mrs A. Might just run to effort without a watch and see what happens.

PMJ, good miles there. Any target for the parkrun?

GM, Jersey sounds like a tough race, but congrats on getting it done despite the wobble around 20 miles. Admirable determination.

Moof, which race are you tapering for?

AR, that adds up to a good day's training. 5 miles rowing? Rather you than me!

Gul, those HMP efforts look promising. Keep a lid on it! image

Birch, wow, that's a lot to contend with. Puts the running into perspective a bit.

• Options

Birch - welcome back. Sounds like it's been a very tough time recently but it's good to hear you're back up and running. You MUST stay around here!!

GM - bought them in a real shop so unfortunately I can't claim that the colour was brighter in real life than on the screen.

Early start this morning as I'm heading up to York, but still managed to get up after about 5 hours sleep and get 4.5 miles in, including 3 at 6:5x pace. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Welcome back, Birch.  Good to hear from you again and I hope training continues to go well.  I think you bailed at the right point in the race when many wouldn't have toed the line!

• Options

Abbers, target for the parkrun has to be to get a season's best. I did 18:52 with Gul in March and since then my best is 18:54 on my home course (Wycombe Rye) which is a good 30 seconds slower due to the grass and steps. So 18:51 would be nice and then you start to get into odd numbers round there so 18:45 is 90 seconds for 400m (one lap of the track) and then 18:38 which is proper 6 minute pace then 18:30 as it is a round number ...

• Options

GM - Congrats on the PB, great report. 

Was planning to do 5 mile race this Sunday linked to Swindon HM but might have to give a miss as calf still not right after a weeks rest.

• Options

Abbers - Well done on a great race and report. 59th/2,857? That is really astonishing, and shows what a tough one it was. Sub-90 is there for the taking next time, surely, and then as others say your HM times will improve dramatcially and you'll wonder how it took you so long!

Gerard - Another excellent report on a really well-battled race. It took real guts to keep going to the end. Go easy at the weekend!!

Birch - Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your upheavals and glad that you seem to be more settled again now.

9M for me this sunny morning with 6 x 1000 @ what I suppose is 5k pace. Anyway - 3:47, 3:44, 3:48, 3:40, 3:46 & 3:42. I won't pretend it wasn't hard work, but it's done now and the times seem to be getting better as the weeks go by.

Having trouble with the Garmin 310xt - after doing so perfectly for three weeks, it now won't connect to the computer. Any suggestions?image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

GM - well toughed out, you learn more about yourself on the tough days than the easy days.

nice to see Birch still fighting back

Abbers - when my eldest plays 2nds they go further affield, I'll keep an eye out for fixtures at Downton. I have the Solent 1/2 this weekend which isnt flat but isnt Downton tough, maybe I'll see you at Lordshill.

PMJ front loading a week (tapering ?) for a Parkrun made me smile, none meant of course. Horses for courses.

• Options

TR, I am really trying out a few new ideas. The basic plan is to limit training between 7 am on Monday morning and 10 am on Saturday so the outcome of that is that I am at home for the whole weekend unless I am racing (which is still a lot of time away).

I do like a parkrun and have got it settled in now with one about 3 miles away so a Sat parkrun is 3 miles warm up, 3 miles blast and 3 miles cool down which is actually a good solid session. Now have to work out how to do the other miles which will eventually be a LSR and a MLR so current try is Mon and Wed which then gives me Tuesday as a recovery day between the two longer runs and Thursday and Friday also as recoveries. Need to work out if LSR is better before or after the MLR: current thought is LSR Mon and MLR Wed. Any input from  anyone else, need to basically try and do P&D up to 70 miles which has LSR on Sun and day off Mon which I can't do unless I do LSR at Gul o'clock on a Saturday and miss parkrun.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - I like the 10am cut off, similar here, which is why I do marathons and 1/2 IMs. I can do 3hrs rides and runs and be back by 10ish.
    Only joking re the Parkruns, they are a good idea, just dont appeal to me. Saturday morning is long run or ride day for me. Monday and Wednesday is doable i guess, just means some early starts on school days, a pretty early one for the 20 miler too. Should be ok doing them either way round though, esp if the 20s are easy paced mostly. Although if Monday is a 7am run, then that might have to be the MLR. 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Just to say it's good to see Birch here again - a runner with real pedigree and more experience than the rest of us put together. Our tough day in Boston last year pales into insignificance beside this year's horrors. And sub 3.30 has to be on the cards for you. I ran most of the ultra last w/e with a fella who was a week away from 60 - there are a fair few people turning in good times at, ahem, a senior age, so stop talking and get training...

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

HI Birch - good to see you here again. It seems like you operation did the trick you're back running.  Divorce always creates a massive upheaval.  Mine gave me a bit of a long dark patch.  I just hung out in a remote village for about a year drinking mostly and put on 20kg but finally got back to being myself after my divorce.  Ironically my current wife lived less than a mile away but I never met her in that period

A visit to the consultant today.  He's probably the first medical person who has ever treated me who actually understand why we put ourselves through all this.  He's the England Hockey and Southampton FC doc as well so seems to be well respected by more than me.  I'm now on his 'return to running programme'

week 1 - run 1min walk 1min for 20min 3-4 times per week

week 2 - run 1min walk 1min for 30min 3-4 times per week

week 3 - run 20min 3-4 times per week

week 4 - run 25min 3-4 times per week

week 5 - run 30min 3-4 times per week

week 6 - run 35min 3-4 times per week

Then I should be OK

• Options

I'm reading and keeping up but don't seem to have time to post at the mo. Just had to say welcome back to Birch though!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Hi there, Birch!  All sounds very positive.

And you too, Bike It.  Run walk is moving which is always a good thing.

• Options

Welcome back Birch. A tough chapter, but 3:30 by 60 has got to be doable. Remember that it's called "Good For Age" for a reason. It's not "Slightly Better Than Average for Age". You've just found your trainers again, you took on a rural marathon ie not pan flat, and you didn't have confidence in the pace strategy. In other words, just like me, an excess of enthusiasm over ability. The ability will come back with regular mileage. I Promise.

Bike It- AHA a strategy! Good One.

Speedy- short post noted. You're in deep training aren't you?