Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

AR - Big difference in shoe then. Who is designed to run at 4:30am? Gul maybe! Certainly not me!

Badbark - Good luck with Dublin, that's my home town and one day I will find myself legging it through the Phoenix park with thousands of runners like you are soon to be! Have you run it before?

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Howzit? I feel absolutely normal in the legs now thanks, middle toe nail on left foot is the only sore part, quite annoying really as I can feel it coming away but it's not quite gone!

Badbark - Abbers just reminded me to congratulate you on the birth of your daughter, she is a cutie!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Thanks, Wardi - I've kept an eye on your antics on the other thread, and you certainly seem to be in fine fettle at the moment - IIRC you had a dodgy time with injury layoff(s) a couple of years back? As I mentioned with Jools in mind the other day, I hope Frankfurt still has the red carpet and disco lights finish !! 
    Gerard - I started running in 1986, so 54,000 isn't a lot per se (it averages around 37mpw). My first 25000 took 11 years, though and 2nd 25000 took 14 years. 
    Completed 23 maras, with 2 DNF's & a DNS from 26 campaigns. Sunday's DNF was my 3rd, but didn't actually have a campaign preceding it !  

• Options

Hell I feel old, I started running in 1982 or 1983 and did my first marathon in 1985. I certainly haven't got up to 54,000 yet.

• Options

PMJ, just checking you are ok - "1982 or 1983" is not the sort of stat that we have come to expect from you - I was expecting the time and date image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch -  Amazing stats there & Inspiring that you are still running!

PMJ - I started running in 2010 and haven't  got up to 5,400km yet! Mind you I wasn't exactly a spring chicken when I started!

• Options

AR, it was after Christmas 1982 and not much into Jan 1983 so really somewhere in the two weeks Christmas holiday in the lower sixth. I can give you the course as well, it was a 0.75 mile loop of Wootton Common on the roads and I started out with one lap and gradually added more laps. If forced, I'd say it was a New Year's resolution so let's plump for Jan 2nd 1983 (Dec 31st 1982 was a Friday as well as beibng New Year's Eve so very little chance of life on Sat Jan 1st). Shoes were Hi-tec silver shadow.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - A question for you and the thread in general - who or what inspired you to run?

PMJ said "Shoes were Hi-tec silver shadow"! You can still get them now, only saw them last week in a shop here for £25! My Dad had a pair back in the day and I am going to buy a pair and race in them and see what they feel like.

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    GM- my scales!

PMJ- the good old Hi-techs, had a few pairs of those. Not in the same league as my whiz-kids, anybody remember them? I do, they were sh*t.
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Moof - hah, really? Whiz kids??

I remember dabbling 10 years ago and used to run in astro turf football trainers, didn't even think that was an issue, wouldn't dream of it now though!

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    GM- I'm going back to about 1979/80 when I was 12/13. My mum bought me a pair of whiz-kid trainers and a matching sports bag for PE. They were brown and I was embarrassed.
  • Options

Moof - where they the suede finished ones? Was a green stripe chap myself, hand me downs from the bigger brother.

• Options

GM - was OK at running at school (sub 60s 400m when I was 14), stopped for a number of years as I played alot of football and then squash and then got "encouraged" to do a row/bike/run triathlon by a work colleague.

Really enjoyed that, then managed to get a place at the London Marathon as the company I worked for at the time owned Flora and said that that would the one marathon to enable me to tick the "I've done a marathon" box. 7 years,13 marathons and 3 ultramarathons later I'm still at it! image

Talking of which, I managed to sneak in a 10 miler this morning with 5 at 6:5x pace. 

• Options

Bike It - great to hear you got to do some running yesterday.
    Moof - I'm feeling quietly confident. 6:40 sounds a good pace and one I am sure you can achieve.
    AR - unplanned 21 miler. I wouldn't expect anything lessimage
    Birch - good record-keeping!
    Abbers - glad to hear the legs are returning to normal.
    GM - My plan is to try and make sure I don't overcook the first couple of miles - I'd rather lose a minute that set off too fast. Then settle down to something like 6:45 m/m. I'll review that nearer the finish and crank it up a bit if I have anything left for the last few miles.
    Badbark - congrats on the arrival of Babybark - she is adorable. Good luck with your target for Dublin - amazing mileage.
    PMJ - I'll never look at Wootton Common in the same way again!
    GM - I started running in 2006 when some work mates suggested getting a team together for the local 10k.
    Lorenzo - cracking run nicely snuck in there.
    Final 3 recovery miles d&d. Worst enemy seems to be the weather. Pretty atrocious yesterday and through the night. Forecast is better for Sunday, so here's hoping...

• Options

Badbark - Congratulations! She's a real smasher.

Lorenzo - Tidy pace from you.

I ran cross-country for the school a couple of times in the legendary Adidas Country shoes. They had this turned-up bit at the front and the back which I thought was just the most!

• Options

Nice section at pace Lorenzo

Good luck for Sunday Gul

Badbark - Beautiful!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

GM - watching my local marathon and thought "hmm, that can't be too hard . . . ."
    (had done XC at school, then done sport, mainly football, bit of cricket and tennis thru' my 20's) . Made my debut, said "NEVER, EVER again" , but, like Lorenzo, I'm still here . . . .

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good luck to Gul and other weekend racers; hope the weather settles down for Sunday.

Remember watching the first London marathon on tele aged 6 and telling my folks I'd run it one day. Looks like I'll finally get round to it in 2014... running was always a way of keeping fit for other sports though, cricket and rugby, until about 10 years ago when I ran my first 10k. Still didn't really become an objective in itself until I trained for my first HM in Cardiff in 2006. Since then there has been a (very!) gradual increase in mileage and corresponding (very!) gradual improvement in race times. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

10M including ~4M tempo last night with the club (3 x 1.36M off about 2 mins' recovery).  Legs were a bit tight so settled for HM pace rather than 10k pace, but the good thing is that breathing wise it felt very comfy.  Only 1 real session left now (3 x 1M @ 5k pace next week).  Eeek!

• Options

Like the running stories, people.image

My first 10K was six years ago just to give it a go, and provide some focus for my occasional visits to the gym. Lessons learnt (1) Get a digital watch - I checked my time after the first K and realised I didn't know to the nearest minute how fast I was going (2) Pacing - spent the last 7K of the race with waves of people passing me. Still, I was hooked, and have been improving in fits and starts ever since.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Cool guys, keep em' coming!

Lorenzo - sub 60 sec 400m!!! That's not OK, it's very quick!!

I grew up in a household where my Dad's training gear was everywhere and we watched athletics all the time, seemed to be on all the time anyway, circa 1984. I loved watching the middle/long distance races but at aged 10 had not no interest whatsoever in doing the thing myself. School I went to was Irish so main focus was on GAA sports and ironically football. Did XC race in 1986 and came 3rd from the year and almost died and vowed never to run again. Dabbled 10 years ago but never raced and then did my 1st race, a 10k Dec 2010 after 8 weeks training and had no clue what I was doing, it was a horrible winter's day with a howling NE wind and I was so overdressed & soon found out how hot one gets when racing. 45 mins later that was me hooked!

Jools  - Nearly there!

Gul - You too!!

Birch - That's the problem, the elite and fast runners make it look effortless!

• Options

PMJ - A question for you and the thread in general - who or what inspired you to run?

A long time ago I was a very active outdoor pursuits guy. I spent a lot of time climbing mountains etc but had a lot of issues with blisters as I would go out for a weekend solid and then do nothing for a few weeks. I decided that running would make my feet harder and less prone to blisters, so I started to run. Turns out I was sort of OK at running so I did well enough to get through district level trials and onto county champs. Got into Cambridge on the strenght of the admissions tutor being a keen cross coutnry runner so ran at Cambridge for my college and then joined the army where running was "a good thing".

Left the army and then for my next couple of jobs I had the luck to have a good running club where I worked so ran every lunchtime from 87 to 94 and that really laid the foundations.

• Options

I started running because one day I was sat on the loo and could feel my stomach touch my thighs. Now I realise this isnt exactly inspiring but it is sadly true. 

• Options

I started running because it's cheap and I'm cheap: I was about to stop being a student after 10 years of uni and my gym membership was therefore about to double in price.

• Options

Well done GM on a what sounds like a tough course. 

Birch! Good to have you back, and you seemed to have spurred Wardi and Badbark to pop back in. Great to hear from you all! Lovely picture Badbark by the way - congratulations to you and mrs BB.

Good luck at the weekend Gul - smash it! image

Rest up Poacher. Your manky feet might be more presentable after a couple of weeks on the bench.

to answer the current question: I started running quite casually and realised taking people down in a race satisfied my competitive urges. I decided that it was a safer way of getting my fix than my other hobby as I was getting a bit old and slow for fighting in martial arts tournaments. A badly smashed in nose and a fractured skull sealed the deal.....

not much training this week - one swim and one 60min cross country run with the dog - work is impinging on my recreation time. How rude.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lit - that made me image. 10 years in Uni! Jeezus - that sounds like some kinda cruel torture or one long party! 

Menn - I'd imagine that weight loss as a motivator accounts for a huge chunk (no pun intended) of runners out there!

• Options

Lit - what were you doing for 10 years?!

Menn - not a pleasant image. Feel like I need another picture of Poacher's feet just to take my mind off that one.

All the very best to Gul on Sunday - you deserve a cracking time and I'm sure you'll get it.

4.5 miles gentle in the rain and dark this morning. Slightly nervous about my XC county championship (for old farts) debut tomorrow - must remember to put the spikes in the shoes tonight.

• Options

Probably more like 9 actually, come to think of it, though closer to 10 before I finally graduated. 4-year BA, 1-year MA, 4 and a bit years for a PhD...

In running news I have sprained my bastard ankle.

Good luck in the XC Lorenzo, though I now have comedy image of you falling on your arse as you try to run up a muddy hill in spikeless shoes.

• Options

Badbark - Congrats.

Gul -  Good luck for sunday, go smash it.

Started running "seriously" in 2008, was on holiday and weather was rubbish so ran most days, cut out the booze for 18 months or so,  first mara in 2009 (3:21) 10th mara 2013(3:24)image