Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    MsE - I need to to keep telling me slow miles are good at this stage!
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Minni - I ran only slow trail miles all the time in California after my achilles injuries.  It was the only way of rebuilding myself.  Even now, my tendons remain damaged and I have to be careful. Slow is good.  Save fast for racing!  You can pull a fast mile out in a race easily image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    17 on tired legs to end week 1 of the taper, although the real cutback is from next week: nothing over 13 until race day now!
  • Options

Good luck to you all, especially anyone racing today. As for the rest of you, well it's just silly season.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Get well MsE

Nice runs by Joolska and others + good miles still totting up

Sea swimming Minni? It's a tad parky down here.  Please tell us it involved a thick wetsuit.

Birch - get out the dvd of the film "300" and be a Spartan. Don't finish London wondering what might have been. OTOH as you know it's often quite warm by lunchtime in mid to late April so maybe a tiny element of caution.

Managed several miles yesterday, admittedly run/walk.  So far out of condition it feels like I have never run before.  But just about able to kneel for the first time in months which is good. I have a horrible feeling I might be on fast red GFA in London (if I turn up) which would be embarrassing.

Good running all and don't get injured or sick now....

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I was at the relays too, but as I was on a short leg I only managed the 'run 3 miles way slower than I'd have liked' part and not the 'redeem myself in the next 2.5 miles' part. Also everyone thought we were Jools's club because we wear the same colours and were Scottish interlopers in an English national. But I didn't lose any places and we finished 9th overall which felt like a decent result and possibly even worth the epic drive.

• Options

Actually I think Fife were 8th. Notts were 11th and 37th. At least that's what the results sheet we picked up yesterday said. Leeds were missing from the results but we think they were DQ'd. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

No, the provisional results said 8th (we saw a photo of it on Eightlane's twitter feed in the car) but in the official results we were 9th, which is what we'd counted too. Southampton seem to have been DQ'd.

Edit: here you go. Leeds back in this one in 4th.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Phwoar...u should see minni in her wet suitimage

36:48 at Blyth today, pretty good in the conditions and enough for the 3rd V50 prize. First 3 miles @ 6 mins into wind then 3 at 5:50 on the return leg. Added 7 warm up and down miles to reach a 50 mile week. Things looking good for VLM...

• Options

They must have appealed. Our B team E leg runner was waiting in the pen when the incident that should have DQ'd them took place. Their runner (presumably final leg) set off when she should't have. May have been a mix up with the numbers, but she wasn't wearing the same number as the runner coming up to the finish line!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Well done all you fabulous racers.  You really do impress me with your never-ending resilience and speedy times.  Feeling much better today but am going to have a third day off to get over this lurgy and let my achilles calm down before a final MRP run on Tuesday.  I feel rather under long runned here having missed my final 17 today but not much I can do about it now...

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Well that was bloody hard work!
    I'll keep this short but wow! what a day.

Got to the start and the sun was beating down. This relaxed me as I don't do heat and the 3.15 was not going to be on. Anyway, gun goes and we're off.
    Managed to catch the 3.15 pacer after a mile or so and my mate and I just tagged on to see what would happen. Brighton involvs 5 miles of faffing before
    hitting the coastline and 'race proper'.

I was concerned that the early miles were going yet my legs were not. Just felt heavy when usually a 10 miler at 7.22 pace is a breeze. We ploughed on.

Running back into Brighton was superb, the crowds were amazing. The sun had brough them out in big numbers and I feared teh same for my hot run.

Got through the halfway point in 1.36.50. The pacers were doing a grand job and the crowd were impressed at such a big bunch coming through early in the
    field. Some great comments from the sideline, "these guys are good, they're going for 3.15" etc...Made me feel special.

Legs are feeling progressively worse as we go through 17, 18 and 19. I take gels more frequently and keep my water level topped up. Water was supplied in
    paper cups. After initial fears, this turned out to be excellent. well done to all the volunteers for doing a great job in feeding us. The trick was to
    crush te top of the cup to create a spout and taking it down was much easier.

Next section was the 'road to hell', a 3 mile excursion to the power station and back again. Had a real wobble here so took on some fuel and dug in. The
    3.15 bunch were falling away, not many of us left. Others were 'walling' and the all to familiar sight of calf stretching on walls and railings was going
    on. Couldn't believe I was still there.

At 23 miles my mate told me to crack on as his calf had gone. I was gutted. We did all of our LSRs together and this was supposed tobe our race. I kept
    plodding but somehow he found the resolve to chase me. I could here his name being shouted by the crowd so knew he wasn't far behind. Amazing effort!

Road to hell done, I check the watch, 7.22 average and only 3.2 to go. "Come you b*stard, come on!"

My thighs were complaining big time but I remember feeling worse last year. Then this little kid shouted my number. My first fan all day! I kicked on and
    caught the pacers that now only had a few bodies around them. I asked one if he was on target? 30 seconds he was up, I started behind him so that was
    good news. One mile to go.

My left calf suddenly told me to feck orf, it's had enough. I tipped it b*llocks and told it to get a fugging shift on! My face grimace would have won a
    guerning competion, the crowd saw my pain and lifted me superbly. That was it, I've not gone thorugh a winter of lonely runs in sh!te conditions to bail
    out now.

I overtook the pacers and made for home. I could see the gun times on the finish gantry and the news was good.

Crossed the line in 3.13.57. - a PB by 6 mins!

I turned around and my mate was just 13 secs behind me. brilliant! We did it!

Over the bl00dy moon and hopefully now worthy of this thread?
    Thank you all for the information and tips. What a team!

For the stats guys, here are the splits.

7:31 7:03 7:22 7:27 7:17 7:28 7:24 7:22 7:25 7:21 7:26 7:25 7:24 7:22 7:23 7:24 7:23 7:26 7:10 7:32 7:28 7:29 7:19 7:25 7:22 7:19 2:01

Finished place was 313 / 9052

Cheers

GD

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

fantastic effort, G-D, and great report - enjoy the celebrations  . . .

good 10K, OO 

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hahaaaa!! Brilliant stuff GD! Really pleased for you (and your buddy). Great time in not ideal conditions. Celebrate hard!!!!
  • Options

G-Dawg - outstanding stuff. I was fearing the worst reading through your report, but you pulled out all the stops at the end. Pretty consistent pacing as well - no wonder you're delighted.

Poacher - you want Minni in a wetsuit? Have a look on Facebook. I've only just calmed down! image

6.5 gentle miles for me in very pleasant conditions this morning - the only down side is that I see to have done something to my back and it's really stiff at the top. I must have slept in a funny position last night and hopefully it's nothing that a good night's rest can't sort out, but it's a pain nevertheless.

Cooking Bulgarian this evening, so better get back to my stuffed peppers.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    G Dawg: chapeau! So delighted for you!! And a rather nail biting report to read, even if it had a happy ending. Great pacing and you deserve to be very proud of that result.

I'll go and read the other posts now, but that couldn't wait image
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GD - Fantastic performance and a great report! Take a bow Sir.

OO - Great 10k time and you're looking good for London. We shouldn't be too far apart.

I managed about 36:54 in the Titanic Quarter 10k this afternoon. That's within 10 seconds of my PB and very close to my first ever +80% WAVA. I look forward to seeing the chip time as 36:53 will be 80.01%!  It was a flat fast course but was windy, and I'm chuffed to have run well considering I'm just over the Chicken Pox.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

GD you JFDidIt - excellent display of deep digging, sub 3.15 with something to spare and a gutsy performance. Take tomorrow off. Then start planning for 3. 0X

• Options

Awesome G-Dawg, and great report too image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - well run, excellent pacing and digging deep.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Spirited run GD and even more spirited report- fantastic effort. 

As u say Badbark, great effort after the lurgy so recently.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Wow, well done GD, and what a brilliantly-paced race. Excellent work by your friend too.

• Options

G-Dawg: sub 3:15 thread and doing exactly what it says on the tin. Delivered the goods, big PB, well done.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

0052- nice racing image

G-dawg- great racing and reporting , well deserved.image

Badbark- great 10k while not 100% image

10 miles this morn with 6x400 + 4x800 + 1 x mile thrown in, the mile beeped in 5:54 which was maybe a little optimistic on garmins part but I will take it anyway as a pavement pb image 

• Options
    sscssc ✭✭✭

GD great report, really motivating for my marathon next week even though I can't see it being as successful as yours today.  Hope I have the guts and determination you showed at the end.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

GD - great running and pacing, excellent, chuffed for you and your mate.

15.75m for me today that inc 3.25m at MP towards the end, was a nasty hilly and windy route, but its done.

Take care

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Yipppppeeeeeeeeeee, GDimage Delighted for you (and your friend) to have smashed that goal time.  Well done!  

Pleased to see you are back on form after your pox Badbark (nutter). 

Nice efforts in your 10 miler Leslie. I am sure you are capable of a 5:54 min/mile.  I had a sub-5 mile recorded in a run recently.  Ha ha, I think not, Garmin!

• Options

Awesome race report G-dawg and massive sub 3.15 PB!! I couldn't wait to read your time at the end. I loved that fighting spirit, I hope you are enjoying a few shandies to celebrate. Consistently consistent mile splits tooimage

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg!!!!! Bl00dy marvellous and fantastic splits too! imageimage

• Options

nice one GD.  Knew you could do it.  The close ones are the tough ones so well done for digging in and holding your pace through those testing last few miles. You had a bit to spare in the end. Great report too. Congratulations and enjoy the celebrations.