Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

MsE - Will start off with a holding back mile of 7.05, then settle into 6.50 pace and aim to get to 10 miles in 68.30 and halfway by 1.29.00 - 1.29.30. I think my attempt will be a nearer to the mark than yours.

Birch - I'd take advantage of your good recent form and go for it. You've put in some good solid weeks of training and that sub 90 half.

Leslie - Brilliant tempo/LT/Ice cream run

• Options

Runners world pacers on-line

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/pacing/

a quick google on poweron10 to see the 3 hour pacers

red start Lee Tolhurst. I think he was one of the Asics 26.2 winners a few years ago. No recent form over 26.2

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=77050

blue start Marty Rea. I hope his recent marathons have all been as a pacer as they are very close to 3 dead and well off his 2:37 best

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=7905

green start Phil Sanders. Legend in his own time for his shorts

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=58256

• Options

PMJ - You're right, Lee was one of the guys on the Asics 26.2 when I did it back in 2012. A very determined guy and I'm sure would make a good sub 3 pacer.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness we are on a new page
  • Options

This is a good link showing pacing and times - ones for the stat geeks. Just pick your pace and tells you your splits.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/running-times-pace-charts

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Lee is a quality runner in the Hampshire Road race League (he is one of the Local clubs to here so see him often) so sure he will do a good job

Rest day here, parkrun planned tomorrow and then 15m on Sunday

Take care

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Champs Start
    MsE: 232, (garish) green Guildford & Godalming vest
    Jools

Red Start
    OO52

Green Start
    Golden Eagle
    Lorenzo: 26861, magenta Dorking and Mole Valley vest
    RFJ - 27008 White Charity Vest (also with name on - MATT) and usual bandana

Blue Start

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Getting exciting waiting for VLM now and I'm not even racing!
    10 miles this morning with 6 miles tempoimage at 6:50 m/m - accidental 9 mile progressive too with 1 mile w/d. Just need to enter the 10k race now - waiting for no 1966 (year I was born) as it falls on my birthday this yearimage

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Birch it took me many attempts to break 3 hours but every race before had the same pace strategy to get me to 3 hours- it was the only target that I was interested in. Aiming at 3:15 may turn out to be too quick but unless you try will you never know. Will you be happy with 3:20 or 3:25. Understand your fears though .....

I'll try to stay with junior at the parkrun today without trashiing my legs for the Blyth 10k tomorrow

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Forgot to say all the best to GD tomorrow - go smash it! And to OO too, plus anyone else racing this weekend.

• Options

Sounds like a good run Gul - which 10K is it you're going to be entering?

Good luck to G-Dawg tomorrow.

Just under 15 miles for me this morning on the Box Hill loop - plenty of cyclists out there but very few runners. Legs felt a bit heavy to start with but I managed to pick up the pace for the last few miles. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Really nervous, anxious, excited today. You know the drill.

Popped down to Brighton yesterday to collect my number. It helped seeing the course being prepared.

Have been studying the course elevations from last year in an attempt to know my enemy as well as try to build confidence from my recent HM and 10k runs.

A 1.28 HM and a 40.50 suggest a 3.15 tilt is a realistic target. I've run more miles every month for the past 12 months, increased cross training and feel generally stronger than my 3.19 fitness from last year.

My right calf is a concern but I keep rolling it. I'm hoping it's just bursting with glycogen. 2 years ago in Paris it caused me to stop and stretch but I got through for a PB that day.

So, definitely going for it tomorrow. My running pal is too so we will try and share the load and achieve the dream finish photo with our arms raised together.

GD
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Have a blast G-Dawg and bring it home, home the dream is reality.

Nice 15 Lorenzo and good 10m Gul

Andover Parkrun this morning 20:16 (6:28, 6:32, 6:33 and .42) for 12th place in wet underfoot and windy conditions

6.37m for the morning

• Options

G-Dawg - you're definitely in shape for sub-3:15. 22 mins per 3 miles would get you to 24 miles in 2:56 so allowing for a bit of fade, you'll be fine. Just don't go off at some crazy pace. 

Most importantly, stay relaxed and enjoy it.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Best of luck GD we'll all be giving you our positive vibes, hope the nerves calm.

19:00 at the parkrun for third. Hope I saved enugh...Junior settled for a solo run, didn't fancy racing. Probably wise.

• Options

Odd week. Tuesday night for no apparent reason my right ankle started hurting and swelled up. It was a little better on Wednesday and I did a gentle run. No run Thursday due to other commitments and yesterday I did a 6 miler but almost canned it after the first few hundred yards but the ankle eased and it was fine.

parkrun this morning and unsure if to test it or not, so set out easy and was back in tenth after the cavalry charge at the start. Moved by a bunch of 5 over the next 500 metres so in 5th at 1 km with 2 well ahead, then a group of 2 (blue and orange), and me pulling someone (white shirt) through. I aimed at the two ahead and closed in by a mile and the guy behind followed as well, so 4 of us together. Over the next km blue dropped off and orange picked up the pace. Down the slope, round the field, up the steps and 3km up with orange pulling ahead gradually. By 3.5k it was obvious that orange was not a happy bunny so I closed in on white and said we should chase him down and he said no so I passed, then a few seconds later he came past like a train and caught orange. White and orange duelled it out for a few hundred metres but at 4k were both shot and I was able to pass them both and build up a decent lead and avoided a sprint finish.

19:18 on the Garmin and a nice last km split of 3:36 (5:50 pace) so happy. Ankle still odd and swollen but running OK.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Best of luck tomorrow GDawg! And to Gul on the 10K.

Great parkrunning from OO and PMJ.

Typing from my sick bed having contracted something that's caused headaches and vomiting since yesterday. My Achilles are not happy either after this week's runs so a few days' rest is in order here. I'll look forward to watching the results roll in instead!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul-great 6 tempo and 9 mile progression run in a single 10 miler ,Is that possible ? image 

0052-nice parkrun

RFJ-good parkrun

PMJ-good run for a bad ankle ,take care my running buddy has developed something similar this week and can't run at all,right angle too by conincidence, a small tendon problem apparently just below angle bone ,swelled right up .

Lorenzo-nice 15'er

MSE-blame Phil's shorts !,get well soon image

G-Dawg- don't be sh*te !image

Just under 9m of easy hills , parkrun way too risky after thursdays hard run.

Just over 60m for the week image bit more like it !

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

thanks for your comments re VLM pacing, everyone. 
    as the half mara was 5 weeks ago, I decided on a time trial at parkrun today, as a comparison with my previous parkrun a couple of weeks before the half. 
    10.5 mile warmup (same as before), parkrun, 1.5 home for a 15 mile morning.
    parkrun 20:48 - 1 second slower than previously, but I'll take that. 26/362, 1st VoGit, but a couple of JM 11-14's flew by me in the last 200m - made me look a real one-paced old biffer!  
    So, I appear to still be in the form I had a few weeks back, and guess I may as well have a bash at a time - Lit's view that 1:37 halfway should feel comfy seems sound, so I'll aim in that area. If it's to be my last mara, might as well go out on my shield . . . . . . . .
    OO - tks for the input - back in my regular sub-3 days, I always had a pretty good idea of the pacing needed, and was half-decent at executing (with the odd calamity), but since my last sub-3 (age 47), I've been slowing down, so my dilemma arose simply through ""suddenly" being quicker than I've been for some years - and wondering if this form could transfer to the 26.2  

speaking of parkrun - I always enjoy your reports of these, Philip  . . . .

lastly, good luck to G-Dawg, and good vibes to MsE - hope you're not "in the wars" too long !

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, GDawg. Looking forward to your race report tomorrow!

Hope the ankle improves, PMJ.

Get well soon, MsE!

National road relays for me and, with the introduction of long legs for the ladies, a 5.57 mile pb was guaranteed. Garmin reckons 5.48 miles @ 6.15s but if the course certificate is right, it was 6.11s. First 3 miles were horribly sluggish but I redeemed myself in the second half!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Jools- I knew you could run faster with longer legs image

PMJ I had a similar scrap moving through a low quality fieldtoday. Didn' t want to work too hard but it would be rude not to. The race was won by a 14 year old with a pb 17:30.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Get well soon MsE.

A 5.57mile PB?! Nicely done Jools. image

GD, enjoy it tomorrow. You'll be brilliant. Start steady, relax, enjoy the first 20 then push as you feel able to. No dramas. The training is done, go get the reward! Cmoooonnnn GDeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Runners world pacers on-line

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/pacing/

a quick google on poweron10 to see the 3 hour pacers

blue start Marty Rea. I hope his recent marathons have all been as a pacer as they are very close to 3 dead and well off his 2:37 best

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=7905

I know Marty Rea and can confirm that he was a 3 hour pacer at the Dublin Marathon last October. He paced it brilliantly finishing in 2:59:30. I ran with him for a while before pushing on over the last 10k. He's running the Connemarathon Ultra Marathon (39.3 miles) tomorrow.

All the best for tomorrow GD!

• Options

impressive shorter distance efforts from the racers OO, PMJ, RFJ and Jools.  Longer legs for the ladies? That gets my wholehearted support (Sorry).

good luck to G-Dawg at Brighton.  I look forward to reading the report of what I'm sure will be a successful race.

birch - sounds like you have concluded there is no reason not to go for it, which I think is the right call. If I recall, you are also on Green with me/Lorenzo?

pleasing treadmill run for me this morning.  1m w/u at 8m/m followed by 3 at 6:40 then 0.75 at 6:27, and 0.25 at 6:18 for a 4m tempo effort.  I then gradually slowed it down until I hit 7:24 (MP) which I maintained for the rest of the 45 min session. And the best bit? the 1.5m at MP at the end felt like jogging. At last! 6.5m at 6:58 overall.

anyway, must crack on as i've a busy schedule for the rest of the day.   A dip in the pool followed by a spot of paddle boarding before heading into the rainforrest for some zip wiring and horse riding. image

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

"paddle boarding before heading into the rainforrest for some zip wiring and horse riding"   - sounds a bit risky two weeks out, GE !  image

yes, I'm on Green.     

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Well done to the park runners - some impressive performances. Good stuff from Jools in the relays too.

Good luck for tomorrow G-Dawg; you've got the ingredients in place, just need to cook it perfectly on the day. As someone else racing on a coastal route tomorrow, and having seen the forecast, I hope the wind doesn't scupper the best laid plans. Looking forward to your report!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Loving all the strategies coming together. I love this time of marathon training - all the work is done and it's a case of keeping healthy and getting to the start line.

MsE - this is your year, you're going to do great.

Poacher - how are things this week?

OO - good luck at Blyth.

I did a 10 mile (slow) run today giving me 30 for the week. Hoping to keep at this level for 4 or so weeks up the the tri then decide where I go from there. Had a couple of one to one swimming lessons, which I'm sure were good but kinda put me back a bit. However, I did my first sea swim yesterday and loved it. I'll definitely be goingore of that and less of the pool as the weeks go on. Hoping I'll find myself in a position to start marathon training by the end of June/July though.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Liking your news Minni! Hurray! image
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Good parkrunning from OO, PMJ and RFJ. All the best today OO.
    Lorenzo - it's the Grand East Anglia Run in King's Lynn (the only 10k I've ever raced!) Now entered and bagged no 1966 image
    Minni - good news.
    GE - good work on the dreadmill.
    Looking forward to hearing how GD gets on at Brighton.